Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

anime was right posted:

hahaha holy poo poo id be so dead if i still lived in queens

Friend of mine lives like 2 blocks from Elmhust Hospital and it's been nonstop sirens for the last month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Thesaurus posted:

I thought Australia was supposed to be the chud nation of the southern hemisphere. How'd they get it right this time?

If they had hosed up the response to this the way they hosed up the response to the bushfires, it would have brought down the PM if not the government itself (the same applies to the NSW government and premier).

The choice was pretty much between facilitating the suggestions of the experts and losing power.

Listening to the experts also means that from day 1 Aussies have been told their way of life will be changed for 6 months or more so there's not the same expectation that all restrictions should be lifted now that we've flattened the curve.

Lolie has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Apr 26, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

It just... keeps repeating, huh?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol yeah I didn't see how the partitions worked before posting.

forget COVID, those 3 are deplaning with the same STDs

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/politics/stimulus-check-coronavirus-letter-donald-trump/index.html

quote:

The letter reads, in part, "We are fully committed to ensuring that you and your family have the support you need to get through this time," and notifies the recipient exactly how much they would receive and how. On the other side of the letter is a translated Spanish version of the same text.

Trump goes on to thank Congress for working with his administration in passing the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), "which I proudly signed into law."

CNN has spoken with recipients in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland who have received the letters.
During Friday's White House briefing, Trump said the act required the government to "send out a notice of what benefits Americans are receiving; to fulfill the requirement, the Treasury Department is mailing a letter to me."

In the legislation there is a section saying "Not later than 15 days after the date on which the (Treasury) Secretary distributed any payment to an eligible taxpayer pursuant to this subsection, notice shall be sent by mail to such taxpayer's last known address. Such notice shall indicate the method by which such payment was made, the amount of such payment, and a phone number for the appropriate point of contact at the Internal Revenue Service to report any failure to receive such payment."

https://twitter.com/DingusJMcGee/status/1254196210606301184/photo/1

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

50 states.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Absolutely amazing to me how Bill Gates, whose evil intentions were a punchline throughout the 90s (Tim Robbins played him as a cutthroat, devious murderer in classic 2001 hacker thriller Antitrust), managed to leave the public eye and start laundering money through his foundation just long enough to fully rehab his image, in spite of being a known Epstein associate

i remember that movie, it was fun

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Ultimate Doge posted:

The point of shutting down was to flatten the curve and keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed, which we did. Opening up now is fine

what do you think happens to hospitals when we open back up and the virus starts spreading even faster than it already is right now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

this is great :kimchi:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
gonna continue not flying on airplanes, thanks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The blue passengers wake up from sleep talking about how they dreamt they were getting handjobs. The red one will wake up talking about the dream they had about skiing

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

we got our letter yesterday and it uses --- instead of actual em dashes, repeatedly. I know that shouldn't bother me, but I didn't even read the letter for lols after seeing that and just threw it in the drat fire

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

If their own literature is to be believed, each seat already has its own breathing apparatus. Why not just work backwards from that?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CODChimera posted:

what's wrong with Scrubs? this thread is outrageous

I went to high school with Sarah Chalke and even I didn't watch that garbage

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

this makes it look like it would be easier to infect the other person

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

mod sassinator posted:

why tf would you go to america to study shakespeare, a man who lived in england

it's a dogwhistle

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

gret posted:

Why do the protesters hate Bill Gates again? Is it just their general anti-vax sentiments or is there more?

sorry if this has already been answered but the fates foundation pretty much exists to launder money for like Bayer and Monsanto and push privatization of education and global healthcare at the expense of the third world. its like the global core of neoliberalism. also Epstein.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

poo poo is getting crazy if people need to be told scrubs is bad

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thesaurus posted:

I thought Australia was supposed to be the chud nation of the southern hemisphere. How'd they get it right this time?

On a personal level it's way more progressive than North America. Way better workers rights, public transport (in Melbourne at least), social services, and people actually treat each other like human beings. As long as you're white of course.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Danger posted:

sorry if this has already been answered but the fates foundation pretty much exists to launder money for like Bayer and Monsanto and push privatization of education and global healthcare at the expense of the third world. its like the global core of neoliberalism. also Epstein.

thats not why the chuds hate bill gates. they hate him because he is in league with george soros and the vaccine is actually the mark of the beast.

there are perfectly good reasons not to like gates, but those are not the reasons they chose

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

hell is nothing but airplanes and airports

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

power word- Jeb! posted:

i remember that movie, it was fun

it actually depicts a bash shell when Ryan phillipe uses the computer.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

thats not why the chuds hate bill gates. they hate him because he is in league with george soros and the vaccine is actually the mark of the beast.

there are perfectly good reasons not to like gates, but those are not the reasons they chose

oh well worst person you know and all that. thought were were loling at the left defending bill loving Gates.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Steve Yun posted:

The blue passengers wake up from sleep talking about how they dreamt they were getting handjobs. The red one will wake up talking about the dream they had about skiing

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the only good thing about billionaires is that they are good scapegoats since everyone knows who they are and they are completely unrelatable and they take the place of bad scapegoats like minority ethnic groups.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

On a personal level it's way more progressive than North America. Way better workers rights, public transport (in Melbourne at least), social services, and people actually treat each other like human beings. As long as you're white of course.

Setting a low bar there mate.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
bill gates probably more or less tried to do things that he thought were good but because he is so insanely rich his unvetted fuckups became policy gospel and hosed up a bunch of schools and poo poo, which is why no one but the workers together should be that rich

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

i dont think thats how handjobs work

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Zeroisanumber posted:

and yet still above America

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I remember this was a patent put out maybe 4-5 years ago as a way to fit even more seats into a plane, the arrangement lets you squeeze out an extra inch or two from each row. I also remember at the time the poo poo head company that patented it being quoted as saying they would never in a million years actually subject passengers to it, they were just locking it away from other less scrupulous companies.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

hmm. for context let me remind you that the feds arrested the chair of the chem dept at harvard for not disclosing a position in china

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

power word- Jeb! posted:

hmm. for context let me remind you that the feds arrested the chair of the chem dept at harvard for not disclosing a position in china

i dont think that really changes anything

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Danger posted:

oh well worst person you know and all that. thought were were loling at the left defending bill loving Gates.
the epstein bloc is defending bill gates

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

what do you think happens to hospitals when we open back up and the virus starts spreading even faster than it already is right now

well many of them have laid off staff and cut hours so we should be fine

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

eighty-four merc posted:

i wouldn't lump heaven's gate in with ruby ridge / waco. it def captured the public's imagination and attention in the same way, but ufo cults didn't have their own tim mcveigh, and you can draw a straight line between the feds backing off the christian patriot movement because of mcveigh and the emboldened right wing militia movement we see today

If you look into Heaven's Gate beliefs, you'll see that it was deeply steeped in literal interpretation of the Book of Revelation, only with some aliens thrown in. Last Podcast On The Left did a pretty great series about this.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So are we going to see 2008 recession style white collar layoffs at some point or are we just fully admitting that having a white collar job is a class marker and people can keep their wfh sinecures in a depression?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yes, North America is a low bar. I'm from the most progressive city supposedly, Vancouver, which is mega lib at best and getting significantly more fascist in time since regular people can't live there anymore. Cost of living is the same as Sydney yet many people make $5 less per hour than Australia's $19.49 minimum wage. I had to own a car in Vancouver, don't in Melbourne. In Vancouver I had no hope of retiring, in Melbourne my employer pays for my retirement on top of $10 more per hour and a month of paid vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Reason #3210 why Immortal Hulk owns: they managed to make loving XENMU utterly terrifying.