Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Has anyone read Sacred and Terrible Air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TommyGun85 posted:

No but I definitely will when the English release happens.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jack Trades posted:

That's why Inland Empire is one of my absolute favorite skills. It spoils the whole game plot for you but in the most useless way possible that you won't be able to understand until you get there properly.

Greek Oracles: Revachol edition

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I tried to read The City and The City but I could only find a french traduction at my library and it is an absolutely terrible traduction. Anyone else read it in english? Does it scan well?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the books are probably getting much better translations right now, would wait

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

tripwood posted:

I tried to read The City and The City but I could only find a french traduction at my library and it is an absolutely terrible traduction. Anyone else read it in english? Does it scan well?

The City & The City is a good book and reads pretty well. It is intentionally written in sort of an Eastern European 'style' if that makes sense? Like it's a bit of a translation even though it was written in English.

edit so people don't get confused:
TC&TC is written by China Mieville and has many stylistic similarities to Disco Elysium but is not actually related.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 27, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah TC&&TC is sort of a noir-esque flat affect, which is funny since Mieville is usually given to a bit of purple prose

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah TC&&TC is sort of a noir-esque flat affect, which is funny since Mieville is usually given to a bit of purple prose

puissance

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NecroMonster posted:

I'm doing another playthrough already and paying attention to the spots in town that have been marked by bullets and the placement of them in relation to other things and this dude has been taking shots at people and stuff for a long time I think, and mostly missed, lmao..

I only know abut the statue one, where are the others?

I don't know my cinema very well but guessing Inland Empire is Hitchcock and Shivers is Lynch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
inland empire is lynch (named after one of his films), shivers afaik doesn't have any one influence in particular

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, Inland Empire 100% makes the game a Lynchian pastiche.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

inland empire is lynch (named after one of his films), shivers afaik doesn't have any one influence in particular

Shivers is Sam Vimes

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only know abut the statue one, where are the others?

I don't know my cinema very well but guessing Inland Empire is Hitchcock and Shivers is Lynch.

Check the wall a bit below and to the side of where Rene stands. And the wall behind the whirling in rags that is basically exactly in the line of fire. That rear end in a top hat was only out of bullets at the end because his last bullet was the only one that ever hit his target, outside of the hits in the statue.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

tripwood posted:

See if you can track down the BBC adaption. They did a great job nailing the aesthetics.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 27, 2020

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I hope to get closure on the Square Bullet in the sequel.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NecroMonster posted:

Check the wall a bit below and to the side of where Rene stands. And the wall behind the whirling in rags that is basically exactly in the line of fire. That rear end in a top hat was only out of bullets at the end because his last bullet was the only one that ever hit his target, outside of the hits in the statue.

Do we know for sure all of those are his? I assume a lot happened when the city was under siege.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Do we know for sure all of those are his? I assume a lot happened when the city was under siege.

yeah that spoiler's flat wrong, the only confirmed shot from the deserter that didn't end up in someone's skull or ribcage was the one in the statue, and he plugged it dead-on in the heart from kilometers away

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

We don't know anything for sure, but we do know he wasn't a trained sniper, we do know he was super boastful of what he'd done when we caught him, and we do know that he was a horrid old incel freak

and oh yeah, another thing the only bullet scars of note in martin are all in the line of sight of the island, with the one exception of the execution wall.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 27, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he was a commandant in the revolutionary army, you dingbat

what do you think they taught him there, crochet?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m pretty sure he was trained as well as had many years to hone his particular set of skills.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Volumetric poo poo compressor :D

Jesus christ, Harry, you are a beast

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

He wasn't. He was a political officer who didn't receive any combat training.

The fact that he assassinated the former head of the union for the Claire brothers does change my opinion of his skills at the time the game takes place tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And don't forget the strong implication/outright admission iirc that he sniped the previous leader of the dockworkers union at the request of the Evrart brothers, possibly in a fashion causing her to fall into the sea. Which is an achievement in Hitman!

Pretty sure the implication is that even if he had minimal if any training he had a lot of practical experience, since for the revolutionaries in the end it was basically fighting to the last with no quarter as the commonwealth sought to wipe them out, and since the end he's had a lot of time to practice. To say nothing of what the phasmid pheromones might have been doing to his body and senses. I think they might be implied to have a similar effect to the drugs Harry can take.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

Is it out on any language other than estonian?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Oxxidation posted:

Almost! They taught him Mazovian dialectics and little else. He was a political officer, tasked with ensuring ideological rigor in his unit. He was also sixteen. It's explicitly clarified that he did not receive military training. Part of the reason he's so bitter and miserable is because his entire purpose for being stationed there was maintaining morale and discipline, and he was the first to flee. It's a "you had one loving job" situation.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I do not want a sequel. This is a once in a decade game I don't expect them to catch lighting in a bottle twice. The expectations for the sequel will be too high and there is no possible way thet can be reached.

The best possible scenario is that the company that made DE makes another brand new game in a different world with a different setting. That way there won't be the same level of impossible expectation.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they may re-use the setting but only in the broad strokes. I don't expect a direct sequel.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Shivers is Sam Vimes

Shivers is David Cronenberg

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DropsySufferer posted:

I do not want a sequel. This is a once in a decade game I don't expect them to catch lighting in a bottle twice. The expectations for the sequel will be too high and there is no possible way thet can be reached.

The best possible scenario is that the company that made DE makes another brand new game in a different world with a different setting. That way there won't be the same level of impossible expectation.

Eh, even should the sequel suck, it doesn’t hurt the first game. I think they definitely have the talent and focus to make a compelling game and I want to see more of this world.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm down for whatever they put out, but I'd like to see a completely different story in the same genre of games, whatever it is. "Good visual novel?" "True RPG?"

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

DropsySufferer posted:

The fictional world precedes even Sacred and Terrible Air by several years and the game spends much of its duration dropping hints as to what the rest of the world is like so I find it highly doubtful they are wasting this entire setting on a single story when there is so much to explore within that, even if I doubt the next game will be a direct sequel or share the same characters

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DropsySufferer posted:

Oh, something tells me the quality of this game was no accident.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They shouldn't follow up with the same characters but I'd be happy if they did more with the setting. People want to find out what the epic conclusion of what lays in store for Revachol but I doubt we'll ever see any of that, and I think there's more interesting things to cover.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

After this game I'm on board with whatever they come up with next.

I'd love it to be something completely different, but at the same time I'd guess that the themes and setting were pretty close to the devs' hearts so I won't be disappointed if they want to explore it more.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

see what happens when you run your mouth

Quote from way back but never before I noticed Cunoesse's last name, which is just finnish for "fucker" or "annoying gently caress". Very delightful.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, something tells me the quality of this game was no accident.

Yeah the writing is good enough that I have full confidence they can make another amazing game whatever the setting. There's no reason it won't be good if it's in the same world and given the amount of worldbuilding that's gone into it I'd be extremely surprised if it isn't.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Their setting is HUGE in time and space and more than sufficient to do whatever they like in it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

twistedmentat posted:

Renegade Cut finally released his Disco Elysium video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo4sHDGiDC0

He uses a full on cop and fascist playthrough as a vehicle to criticize police.

Spoilers obviously.
A copy pasted rant that doesn't actually address circumstances and concerns raised by the game.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Xander77 posted:

A copy pasted rant that doesn't actually address circumstances and concerns raised by the game.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. As a brief summary of the history of militarized police forces and their history in the US, its good, but its connections to Disco are superfluous and tertiary and it neatly sidesteps almost everything interesting and noteworthy about the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah the writing is good enough that I have full confidence they can make another amazing game whatever the setting. There's no reason it won't be good if it's in the same world and given the amount of worldbuilding that's gone into it I'd be extremely surprised if it isn't.

Best comparison I can think of is Undertale, people who were fans were like "yeah this is a once in a lifetime thing, no way will a followup live up to that standard", and then the guy released Deltarune Chapter 1 outta loving nowhere and for free. Some people are genuises at knowing what their own audience wants better than their own audience does.