Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fister Roboto posted:

Someone asked a while back what the new night market items from the cactus bonus were, don't know if it got answered. You get access to level 2 and level 3 damage spell items, as well as items for casting light, dark, moon, and wood sabres. Extremely useful.

Ah, I missed that those weren't there before. Thanks.

All Cacti found, and Dragon Emperor dead (...again). The first phase lasted a little while but once he got stunned I did so much damage that he immediately went into the weakpoint attack again afterward and just fell over. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What’s the fastest way to get ??? Seeds? Just beat land umber and got three seeds which let me turn Duran into an edelfrei and Angela into a magus but poor little Hawkeye is still a ninja

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Calaveron posted:

What’s the fastest way to get ??? Seeds? Just beat land umber and got three seeds which let me turn Duran into an edelfrei and Angela into a magus but poor little Hawkeye is still a ninja

i ended up circlegrinding the top two floors of moonchart tower and got a decent number, but it depends on how many benevodons you've beaten.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

There's one in every Benevedon dungeon (except for Dangaard's afaik), so keep doing those. The one in Mispolm's is right near the entrance so you can run in and grab it real quick if you want.

As enemy drops, they don't seem to start appearing until mobs are level 50 or higher, which coincides with having beaten 4 Benevedons.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dackel posted:

Am I missing something about the 4th classes? I thought they combined the 2 previous ones, but Duran's Light version of 4th still single targets healing light and gets no tinkle rain. Do I need to reset once to also grab the other path?

Turns out we were wrong in regards to how they work. They just give you a class strike, a new locked ability, and more abilities/stat boosts from stat training. They also beef up your stats to be the best the particular class path can be (so Necromancer Charlotte and Warlock Charlotte will get the same stats once they class change to Chaosbringer Charlotte) so when you have to choose between two classes, choose based on the abilities they give you.

Also, I finally beat the bonus boss and did the three missions where you have to rematch and beat it within the given time and on the given difficulty to get new Chain Abilities. Jesus, Ninja Master Hawkeye with buffs and the bonus boss debuffed cheesed it so drat hard. Multi-target Elemental Jutsus are no joke in this game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Which Duran Light class gets Healing Light+? Paladin? I was gonna go Paladin but I don’t actually know the difference between the two choices.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Which Duran Light class gets Healing Light+? Paladin? I was gonna go Paladin but I don’t actually know the difference between the two choices.

Paladin gets Holy Saber. Liege gets Healing Light+.

Paladin is also extremely tanky and durable while Liege is more about providing relief for the rest of the team (and has one of the best shields in the entire game).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Paladin gets Holy Saber. Liege gets Healing Light+.

Paladin is also extremely tanky and durable while Liege is more about providing relief for the rest of the team (and has one of the best shields in the entire game).

Hmmm now I’m not so sure. He’s my only healer so I should probably go for Liege then...?

Edit: Holy Saber is probably amazing if you are in Kevin/Charlotte’s story, but I’m not. I’ll have to think about it more.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Liege gets an ability that boosts the attack of everyone in the party by 7% and can do some truly bonkers healing on its own. It's great into a physical-heavy party.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I love paladin Duran, but it's cause I have necromancer carlie who gets healing light+ even dark and I'd rather have that than single target holy saber which I can have 9 items of if I needed it. My whole party was just about facilitating Angela being able to go ham

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

any trick to changing what you get from ??? seeds?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ASenileAnimal posted:

any trick to changing what you get from ??? seeds?

Nope, you can't save scum them anymore. What you get is determined when the seed drops now.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Defiance Industries posted:

Nope, you can't save scum them anymore. What you get is determined when the seed drops now.

ah thats fine i guess. also lmfao at how broken angela is. i went grand divina and trash fights are over insanely quickly and my mp gets topped off right after the fight. i went duran for my main but i end up using angela in battle more now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that the game's out: for people playing on Hard, how much of a pain is it to deal with having no healing spells? Really leaning towards a Hawkeye, Riesz, Angela playthrough.

Like it is "you'll barely notice because items are plentiful" level, or "you'll have to go out of your way to get extra healing items and you'll definitely notice" level?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not playing on hard, but the big thing with not having a healing spell is that you have a hard limit on healing items in boss battles, 9 of each item. Granted, that's a very generous limit, especially when you factor in poto oils and succube claws, but it might be a pretty big issue on hard mode.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Harrow posted:

Now that the game's out: for people playing on Hard, how much of a pain is it to deal with having no healing spells? Really leaning towards a Hawkeye, Riesz, Angela playthrough.

Like it is "you'll barely notice because items are plentiful" level, or "you'll have to go out of your way to get extra healing items and you'll definitely notice" level?

It was OK, micromanaging is not particularly fun however. But you will be unlikely to run out of HP unless something goes incredibly wrong. Now I have Charlotte in a party it's a lot more enjoyable to not have to worry about heawing things myself.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

Healing items are so plentiful I didn’t actually have to buy any until after I killed two benevodons, and now the expense is trivial.

You will spend time in the item ring making everyone eat their chocolates of course.

Gonna feel real weird on future playthroughs that actually have healing spells.

GinRummy
Sep 17, 2007

Harrow posted:

I went through the whole game with Duran as Edelfrei, Angela as a Magus, and Riesz as a Starlancer. Had no issues without a healer.

The early game you'll find far more healing items then you'll use, mid game you start burning through your a stock a bit and might need to stop at shop every once in a while, while late game you'll have so much money you can just buy 99 of everything without any real issue and not have to worry about running out. You can only use 9 or each item on your wheel per fight but it automatically replenishes so you don't have to worry about taking any out of your bags like the original.

The only fight I started running out of items for was the Black Rabite.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm having some indecision. Running with Angela/Duran/Hawkeye, and my initial plan was to do dark Angela, light Duran, and dark Hawkeye, but I'm being showered with enough healing items that I think I'd rather have the multitarget sabers from dark Duran. Is light Angela better in this? I recall dark being comically better in SNES.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not playing on hard, but the big thing with not having a healing spell is that you have a hard limit on healing items in boss battles, 9 of each item. Granted, that's a very generous limit, especially when you factor in poto oils and succube claws, but it might be a pretty big issue on hard mode.

I actually do feel that issue, but it's not just that. Having a char that has healing basically means they 'backburner heal' without having to really think about it. I have the Riesz/Angela/Hawk playthrough, and I definitely feel the healing issues in a lot of boss fights, and even some non boss fights (I often begins fights at 30% health because of this).

Speaking of, I am having Archmage Angela and she is badass, but I don't know how she would compare to the Diviner one. I definitely feel the lack of MP every so often, and I don't know how the spells are in both routes.

Anyone who tested both can say the differences?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The only quality of life feature about having a healer is that you don't have to pause the action to heal someone when they're low. Yes you can have the AI use items but they'll munch through your nuts faster than chocolates and candy. My main complaint about the original Trials of Mana is that the AI will never use magic abilities, so it's always annoying to micromanage Angela or Charlotte in every fight.

If you do take Charlotte down the dark path, I don't recommend you teach her Machine Golem and Chess Knight if you want to stay a healer until she reaches the tier 3 class. Even with passive AI she'll burn MP on her summons than healing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Hard feels like about the same difficulty level as the original, and while I try to top off my stack of chocolates from time to time it's not particularly onerous.

Riesz learns a passive that grants 7% healing after every battle on her Valkyrie path, which definitely helps with attrition.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Is there any way to make AI Duran want to use his healing spell more? For me he'll sit doing nothing or attacking while people are critical.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Is there any way to make AI Duran want to use his healing spell more? For me he'll sit doing nothing or attacking while people are critical.

Are his tactics set to "all out attack"?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Uggghhhh come on give me the nightblade class item already

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

I've been playing Angela/Riesz/Kevin and I've been feeling it. On the other hand, nothing has been frustratingly hard, just "you better play well or else" and I could probably micro-manage Kevin and Riesz more to save on grails and poo poo.

I also haven't been back to Beisel yet to get more Poto Oil. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So wait there's more challenges regarding Anise? Also where's the drat Black Rabite, did I miss it somewhere? Is it the superboss beyond superbosses?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

wow reisz's fenrir knight combo is brutal. is saint saber any good? was thinking of going lord for duran for multiheals but i havent really run into too many healing issues so far

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 27, 2020

GinRummy
Sep 17, 2007

Alxprit posted:

So wait there's more challenges regarding Anise? Also where's the drat Black Rabite, did I miss it somewhere? Is it the superboss beyond superbosses?

Go back to where Anise is to do the challenges.

To get to the Black Rabite, go to the start of the area outside the final dungeon after you clear it and interact with the Rabite statue, My main character was Duran so the statue was at the start of the Crystal Desert

GinRummy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 27, 2020

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alxprit posted:

Black Rabite go back to your endgame dungeon (eg Malice Cave into Dark Castle for Hawkeye/Reisz) and there's a black rabite statue that warps you right near the fight. It's a door that opens up after you clear the dungeon proper, but it's harder than Anise.

As for challenges, yeah, you get time attack missions if you refight. First one is Normal or higher difficulty in 6 minutes and gives you a mini version of the Lil Cactus chain ability (+100% CS at battle start, it stacks). Second one is Hard in 4 minutes, then it eventually it scales to finishing in Hard in 60 seconds. I haven't beaten anything past the first challenge, then I decided to NG+ to get the rest of the character NG+ chain abilities.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Tricky posted:

As for challenges, yeah, it eventually it scales to finishing in Hard in 60 seconds.

:what:

I mean, sure, whatever. But still.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Zenithe posted:

:what:

I mean, sure, whatever. But still.

It seems aimed at parties that are optimized for DPS at levels that are probably only reasonable to hit at NG+.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I just wanna say I felt really powerful by the end of my trip through Anise's Stockade though. Kevin's always been a beast (no pun intended), but in this game I decided to prioritize his line that gave him Payback, a skill that reduces the cost of Class Strikes. Stack 3 of those and something like Suzaku Aerial, which hits a wide area around him and pretty much instantly kills anything, goes from 300% cost to like, 120%. I was able to spam that in any battle that was even moderately annoying. That plus the innate class skill that gives him 10 seconds of invincibility at the start of battle means I was getting lots and lots of bonus EXP from wiping out groups of enemies with that. Hawkeye and Charlotte were also nuking enemies with strong summons and Poison Bubble for basically free with the various MP regen abilites you can get post-final boss.

But beating that boss on Hard in under 60 seconds definitely feels like a "get to level 99 to even think about it" kind of achievement. I'll probably not worry too much about it. My next priority after doing Black Rabite is probably going to be hunting down the rest of the L'il Cactus spots I missed, even though I thought I was pretty thorough. At least I can know which maps to look on or not.

GinRummy
Sep 17, 2007

Tricky posted:

As for challenges, yeah, you get time attack missions if you refight. First one is Normal or higher difficulty in 6 minutes and gives you a mini version of the Lil Cactus chain ability (+100% CS at battle start, it stacks). Second one is Hard in 4 minutes, then it eventually it scales to finishing in Hard in 60 seconds. I haven't beaten anything past the first challenge, then I decided to NG+ to get the rest of the character NG+ chain abilities.

Is it 60 seconds? I completed the 2 minute one and it said I had finished the challenges, going back to the boss again just had time attack with no goal time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The annoying part about the ghost ship is that I now have one party member a full level behind the pack and I can't think of a solution that doesn't letting party members die until the straggler catches up.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

YggiDee posted:

The annoying part about the ghost ship is that I now have one party member a full level behind the pack and I can't think of a solution that doesn't letting party members die until the straggler catches up.

It doesn't even work, once you win a battle the party member who dies comes back with 1 HP and still gets all the EXP. It's very silly that they didn't want to account for it, but oh well.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Don't forget that you can shortcut items, so you don't have to pull up the menu and pause the fight to heal - just press the shortcut and it throws it to whoever is lowest. Also, the AI defaults to "Do not use items" so change that if you haven't. With my no heal party I still find myself rarely using them since the others usually take care of it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I ... kind of want to know why Altenish robots can be poisoned, but I think some questions are better left un-asked

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The ghost ship XP thing briefly bothered me too, but as you go up in levels as a % difference it starts to shrink enough so your party will be close together again in levels.

I can see how it triggers the OCD in people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And if you go to Class 4 with Kevin he has a solo boss fight so he'll outlevel you regardless. Best to make peace with it now.