Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

whatever happened to her right hand looks like it hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

gay picnic defence posted:

That means there's several months more of the current situation in badly affected countries.

lol

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
et tu hootington

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Starks posted:

whatever happened to her right hand looks like it hurt

nobody looks at their best while casting Ward of Protection

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

mod sassinator posted:

absolute yes, white collar jobs will be trashed. any company that relies on advertising is _fucked_ right now--ad spend is hugely down as every company freaks out about the short term future. this is having big knock on effects for companies that depend on ad revenue... like google, facebook, etc. google has already announced they're stopping and slowing hiring: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-15/google-to-slow-hiring-for-rest-of-2020-ceo-pichai-tells-staff that's just a start, expect them to get aggressive with 'managing out' people and maybe even layoffs after that (yes, tech companies with billions in the bank have layoffs: https://techcrunch.com/2009/01/22/sad-day-for-microsoft-5000-laid-off-earnings-and-revenues-down/--story from 2009 in the last collapse)

don't feel safe or comfortable in any job, unless it's like burying covid-19 victims

My husband does “boutique accounting” for old money rich ppl and let me tell you those motherfuckers don’t seem even a little bit worried about the global pandemic and are primarily concerned about what kind of government giveaways they might qualify for.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fallout 76 knew covid was coming.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trump!!!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Ah yis, the answer to letting great, foreign S&T students come and learn here and immediately forcing them to go home after graduating is to force them into non-S&T classes rather than giving them a path towards staying in the country/citizenship

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

mystes posted:

Bill Gates is bad because 1) he made his money doing anti-competitive stuff, and 2) the ultrawealthy should be taxed into oblivion and not forgiven just because they slowly use their money for charitable causes to feel self-important on their own terms when they feel like it throughout their life.

However, Bill Gates isn't bad because the specific charitable causes he is using his money for are bad in particular.

actually, the privatization of healthcare and education across the global south is in fact bad in particular

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my gym announced they're opening on the 1st, I wonder when I'll actually feel brave enough to go lol

judging by the comments it's gonna be packed like new years for the first couple days

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

etalian posted:

Trump!!!

Iowa doing abpartial reopen while exploding with new cases is pretty good.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
end of may is gonna be an absolute slaughter

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Mistle posted:

The board for Men's Wearhouse ousted noted meme-man and owner/founder George Zimmer from his position as CEO of the company because they wanted to take it in a more profitable direction. Zimmer as CEO was a proponent of hiring post-release felons and had a "look nice land a job" sort of outlook, and at least some of the free perks offered to the employees evaporated after his departure because :capitalism:

His firing actually belongs in the schadenfreude thread, because the company after he left made a bad decision and value tanked.

How does this relate to the thread? Well, Mr. Zimmer believed in not killing his employees for an extra nickel of profit, for one.

drat, didn't know they got rid of zimmer, he was a good dude as far as ceos go... i remember he was a really vocal proponent of marijuana law reform

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

whaley posted:

i love oddworld and was really sad when i saw who lorne lanning follows on twitter

yah its a classic, i guess the abes exodus remake is coming out this year maybe

at least now i wont even have a twinge of guilt when i pirate it on launch

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Lady Militant posted:

drat that blonde is super hot

:goofy:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
in the not-too-distant future all the best engineering schools will be in China/India so who cares

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Isn't Bill Gates also really worried about "overpopulation"?

he does want everyone in africa to wear rubbers

why the anime girl

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

etalian posted:

Trump!!!

feels kind of misleading. aren’t some of these “partial re-openings” just like letting 2 people into stores at once? how many states are actually reopening schools and universities?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Mr Hootington posted:

Iowa doing abpartial reopen while exploding with new cases is pretty good.

I live in Iowa and we all decided earlier this week that our half rear end shutdown wasn’t working so might as well give up. It’s not even like we have beaches to go to, wtf is everyone planning to do? No idea!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

etalian posted:

Trump!!!

we're basically throwing the bodies of the poor in farming and manufacturing back to work, which will likely keep the relative comfort of blue states up. lol. this is gonna be nutso.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spoondick posted:

drat, didn't know they got rid of zimmer, he was a good dude as far as ceos go... i remember he was a really vocal proponent of marijuana law reform

they got rid of zimmer which was dumb as balls because his gravelly voice in the commercials was mens wearhouse's entire brand

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I live in Iowa and we all decided earlier this week that our half rear end shutdown wasn’t working so might as well give up. It’s not even like we have beaches to go to, wtf is everyone planning to do? No idea!

I live in iowa too and o noticed this too. It rules.

They plan on tubbing down the nitrate rich rivers and cornhole.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Apr 27, 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Gray's Lake (or your local lake)

Des Moines has more cases than loving Omaha :woop:

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

anime was right posted:

end of may is gonna be an absolute slaughter

Such

Tremendous

Content

TMRUP

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

iowa is ready to get the tractors moving and get the corn

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

while we're at it id like to put in a good word for ken grossman, ceo of sierra nevada brewing company... he shut down their taproom restaurants before a national emergency was declared, after the camp fire he let anyone from paradise eat and drink for free as much as they wanted for a month and gave away clothing, they ran a microbrew festival that ran out of beer early due to logistical problems and he gave refunds to everyone and ive personally had dozens of interactions with him and he's never been an rear end in a top hat

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my ceo is p good as far as rich people who steal the money from my labor go. full employment still and mandatory wfh happened before the state lockdowns even began.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spoondick posted:

while we're at it id like to put in a good word for ken grossman, ceo of sierra nevada brewing company... he shut down their taproom restaurants before a national emergency was declared, after the camp fire he let anyone from paradise eat and drink for free as much as they wanted for a month and gave away clothing, they ran a microbrew festival that ran out of beer early due to logistical problems and he gave refunds to everyone and ive personally had dozens of interactions with him and he's never been an rear end in a top hat

what camp fire is that?

etalian posted:

Trump!!!

Loving the ocean of blood that the USA is resting on

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

partial birth reopen

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

empty whippet box posted:

what camp fire is that?

It was a big wildfire.

Speaking of, isn't wildfire season about to start in California? How is the fuel load looking out there, are you predicted a bad season this year?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Gazpacho posted:

idk who that second imaginary person is supposed to be but i'm sure the guy who wrote dos is really torn up about making enough money in microsoft's early years to retire at 40 and play with robots

have you considered maybe reading a nonfiction book instead of relying on hollywood films that make things up

lol no that's not the history of MS-DOS (key word in that... MS)

gates wrote a basic compiler that was awesome but couldn't sell it without an operating system. he didn't want to buy or license some expensive poo poo from IBM so he found a guy (literally one dude) who wrote a good enough OS called QDOS and convinced him to sell it to him outright without any license or royalties. gates renamed it MS-DOS and the rest is history. that dude made some money to probably buy a nice car but he lost out of hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars because he sold it outright instead of licensing with royalties(which is exactly why gates bought it from him)

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Is this the handjob factory I've heard so much about?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

facetoucher cat posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22-Woodlane-Dr-Newnan-GA-30263/61222107_zpid/

someone buy me this house, hell, a few of us can come live it it. It's not totally finished so we can finish it then totally gently caress it up

that house was in a most violent year. ugly as poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

mod sassinator posted:

lol no that's not the history of MS-DOS (key word in that... MS)

gates wrote a basic compiler that was awesome but couldn't sell it without an operating system. he didn't want to buy or license some expensive poo poo from IBM so he found a guy (literally one dude) who wrote a good enough OS called QDOS and convinced him to sell it to him outright without any license or royalties. gates renamed it MS-DOS and the rest is history. that dude made some money to probably buy a nice car but he lost out of hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars because he sold it outright instead of licensing with royalties(which is exactly why gates bought it from him)
i know the history and it isn't this

also I saw the guy who wrote dos (originally, from the first line) speak at the computer history museum a couple years ago and it was amusing how desperate people in the audience were with their questions trying to get him to express some kind of regret about doing it

Gazpacho has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Apr 27, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

so we're hitting 3 million worldwide cases tonight, and 1 million America cases tomorrow :911:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

empty whippet box posted:

what camp fire is that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Fire_(2018)

turned my hometown into a post-apocalyptic wasteland and burned out every single person in town i knew

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

etalian posted:

Trump!!!

we literally set new records for daily cases Friday and yesterday and half the country's reopening because The Peak Has Passed!!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
anyway, posting from Iowa too. sup, incompetent Gov havers.

I just learned a new thing today from a city councilman. Mayor Cownie hasn't locked down Des Moines harder than he has already because venerated Dem AG Tom Miller told him he didn't have the authority to override our Republican governor.

hah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Trixie Hardcore posted:

My husband does “boutique accounting” for old money rich ppl and let me tell you those motherfuckers don’t seem even a little bit worried about the global pandemic and are primarily concerned about what kind of government giveaways they might qualify for.

do you and your husband get a lottery ticket for the NZ bunker or is that bodyguards and stuff only?