Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slavvy posted:

Why would you be modifying this and swapping that when you can have all the lackluster shittyness of a diy engine swapped British bike from the factory? Just buy an enfield.

The joy of creation, also masochism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

They are really not that bad, if you get a good one. Decent enough design but awful QC mean it can take a while to make one reliable, but once it's good it stays good for a good while. They do offer an experience you can't get with any other new bike I'm aware of - a taste of what old bikes were actually like to ride, not just what they looked like.

A good buddy of mine waffled about KLR650s a bunch while I tried to get him to get a DR650, and then he showed up on a 2017 Himalayan. There's little spots here and there where paint was touched up by hand with a brush after assembly, plus some bits of fit and finish weirdness. He says he hasn't managed to shake any of the grounds loose (there are apparently too many and they're all loose or bolted onto painted sections of the frame), but after I told him about the Tim Raines IRL Himalayan saga, he said he was going to do a valve/cam check while it's still under warranty.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I have sort of lost the thread of what the gently caress to do after putting the XR650R together and then staring at it in the garage and I guess I need some advice.

I don't think there's any way I can get a Wisconsin plate on my XR. I am contemplating just keeping it until I once again live somewhere that fun isn't illegal. I got a South Dakota ownership document so at least I could sell it to someone in MI, MN, or IL that could then plate it if I have to. I am also going to try asking every old dirtbike guy that I know if anybody has an XR squirreled away from when the dealers in Michigan were washing the titles twenty years ago, but at this point I am not very hopeful.

What big bore supermoto do I buy? I could probably sell a few bikes and buy a 690 I guess. The 690 SMC is back and people are still selling their used 690's for like eight grand. Should I look for a cheaper Enduro R that comes with 17's? I had pretty good luck with building a wheel set for the XR with ebay Warp 9 rims and custom spokes from Buchanan so I'd be open to doing that again. I don't really care about having a dirt and an SM wheel set for the same bike anymore because I have dedicated dirt bikes now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd happily crush half a dozen lovely 690's for one water cooled xr, there's no comparison :colbert:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Me too. Maybe I'll just move.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Someone near me is selling a plated XR650R but my home state won't let me register it as a street bike even though it's already registered. :(

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
No epa sticker means no plate unless you're in MI, MN, SD, WA, or the other states with dirt to street licensing available.

Some people get lucky at the DMV counter but several of my friends that did just got letters that said their title and tags were invalid.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Yerok posted:

No epa sticker means no plate unless you're in MI, MN, SD, WA, or the other states with dirt to street licensing available.

Some people get lucky at the DMV counter but several of my friends that did just got letters that said their title and tags were invalid.

Wait, please tell me more. I'm a WA resident and thought I couldn't register it. It's currently registered and plated in VA.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Oh you beautiful idiot, it just has to have a valid off road title and you get a simple safety inspection at your local WA licensing office. Lights, fenders, left hand mirror, 96 dB exhaust, etc.

I called the guy that ran the licensing office in WA where I used to live and asked him out of curiosity last year and he said it wasn't a big deal. You can call Lakeside Licensing in Nine Mile Falls, WA if you want to talk to a WSDOT employee that knows what he's talking about. It'll probably take a month or so to get a state trooper/whoever to come to an appointment to inspect it.

ninja e: also here https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/licenseoffroad.html (I was wrong about who does the inspection)

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 24, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol plating a cr250 across the columbia and riding it back to browns camp through portland was one of my favorite high school memories

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yerok posted:

I have sort of lost the thread of what the gently caress to do after putting the XR650R together and then staring at it in the garage and I guess I need some advice.

I don't think there's any way I can get a Wisconsin plate on my XR. I am contemplating just keeping it until I once again live somewhere that fun isn't illegal. I got a South Dakota ownership document so at least I could sell it to someone in MI, MN, or IL that could then plate it if I have to. I am also going to try asking every old dirtbike guy that I know if anybody has an XR squirreled away from when the dealers in Michigan were washing the titles twenty years ago, but at this point I am not very hopeful.

What big bore supermoto do I buy? I could probably sell a few bikes and buy a 690 I guess. The 690 SMC is back and people are still selling their used 690's for like eight grand. Should I look for a cheaper Enduro R that comes with 17's? I had pretty good luck with building a wheel set for the XR with ebay Warp 9 rims and custom spokes from Buchanan so I'd be open to doing that again. I don't really care about having a dirt and an SM wheel set for the same bike anymore because I have dedicated dirt bikes now.

Vermont and SD are the typical go tos for getting offroad bikes plated and transferred. YMMV though on how your county views those plates. Some are ok with it and some aren't. The key when you register in VT/SD is that the title needs to say just "motorcycle" and not OHV or whatever designation they use for offroad only vehicles.

Personally I'm going for a 701 after doing a lot of deliberation on whether or not to get a 790 ADV. Styling is better than the 690s and the differences are mild.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Yerok posted:

Oh you beautiful idiot, it just has to have a valid off road title and you get a simple safety inspection at your local WA licensing office. Lights, fenders, left hand mirror, 96 dB exhaust, etc.

I called the guy that ran the licensing office in WA where I used to live and asked him out of curiosity last year and he said it wasn't a big deal. You can call Lakeside Licensing in Nine Mile Falls, WA if you want to talk to a WSDOT employee that knows what he's talking about. It'll probably take a month or so to get a state trooper/whoever to come to an appointment to inspect it.

ninja e: also here https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/licenseoffroad.html (I was wrong about who does the inspection)

poo poo thanks for the info. I'm a recent WA resident. I was gonna take this to PMs but I don't think you have them. Due to a weird combination of Corona And my job, I am not going to be able to physically go back to the west coast any time soon. Not possible I take it to just do a mail in title/reg, if it already has an on-road title from another state?

Tyro fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 24, 2020

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I actually asked if I could do a mail in with some pictures of the bike when I still had a WA license and they said no. As far as the Vermont/South Dakota thing it's really easy to do and cheap but it doesn't change how the bike comes up in your home state's VIN database so it's a gamble. South Dakota will no longer give you registration/title that says CYC or MCY for an off road bike requiring a street legal affidavit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

I actually asked if I could do a mail in with some pictures of the bike when I still had a WA license and they said no. As far as the Vermont/South Dakota thing it's really easy to do and cheap but it doesn't change how the bike comes up in your home state's VIN database so it's a gamble. South Dakota will no longer give you registration/title that says CYC or MCY for an off road bike requiring a street legal affidavit.

For bikes under iirc 250ccs, Vermont doesn’t require (or give) a title so you just need a bill of sale. On an unrelated note, I have a klx110 with a Vermont plate and got pulled over for riding it in the pine barrens in NJ but it was all legal and fine and the cop was very nice about it once I showed him the registration.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Bummer but thanks for the first hand info Yerok. :) Definitely something to keep in mind for when I return.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

Pro-tip. Register it in Vermont and then just never register in Wisconsin. That’s what I did with my Elite 250. Just rocked a Vermont plate for the whole time. No one ever questioned it in Wisconsin.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What’s the disqualifying thing on a bike that makes Wisconsin say no?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally anything, Wisconsin is pretty tough.

But in this case its that the bike was not sold as road legal.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rolo posted:

For almost all states, it's that the title or certificate of origin says "not for highway use" or "off road vehicle" or off highway vehicle" or similar on it. The eighth digit of the vin being a "c" or a "3" I think also means it can't be registered in California.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Literally anything, Wisconsin is pretty tough.

harley mafia?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

builds character posted:

For bikes under iirc 250ccs, Vermont doesn’t require (or give) a title so you just need a bill of sale. On an unrelated note, I have a klx110 with a Vermont plate and got pulled over for riding it in the pine barrens in NJ but it was all legal and fine and the cop was very nice about it once I showed him the registration.

My SD registration says "off road." I haven't called the Rapid City DMV to ask if there's anything I can do about it but I assume it's intentional given how widely known and used the South Dakota registration loophole has become.

Rolo posted:

The VIN comes up as an off road bike. Meaning it wasn't federally certified or EPA tested. Hilariously this was a CARB bike so it was manufactured to comply with an emissions standard, but Honda never payed for the watercooled XR's to be federally certified. In California, pre 2005, CARB off road bikes could be registered for street use. There are many, many XR650R's with California street registration for this reason. Mine was one of those bikes. I feel a little bad about condemning it to this registration hell given that now it could probably never be legal in California again.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Can I get some perspective here? How much is this bike actually worth, because I'm considering buying it to pull the "upgrades" I don't want off and sell them to try and recoup some of the cost. Mostly would be the HDB rally stuff and extra wheels.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/226443911713017/

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it's a 10 year old bike. I'd offer $5500 cash in hand and go as high as $6000 and he can keep the wheels. if he wants to sell it he should part that poo poo out himself cause boxing up and shipping out big items is a pain in the rear end if you go down that road

a new 701 / 690 is $10k at dealers who will basically let you finance however you want, so buying a 10yo used bike (with good extras like the tractive shock and the scotts damper) for $7800 is just stupid when there's poo poo on it like the HDB / wolfman stuff which looks like complete rear end

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Thank you! The lack of good used 690s in my area is making me stir crazy. Sometimes you just need someone else to tell you not to be an idiot

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

harley mafia?

Good question. I'm not really sure, but it's more likely to be some kind of DNR/environmental reason to keep 2T's off the streets. All of the states around us are not as restrictive :iiam:

Occasionally I will see a WI-plated XR650R or WR450F, not sure if they just got lucky at the DMV or pulled the Vermont trick.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’m not sure why they’re so restrictive, I don’t think it’s much to do with Harley, if Wisconsin would ease up on its registrations, a lot of old Harley’s would come out of barns and sheds and get registered.

Honestly, I’m surprised more states don’t look at what’s happening in Vermont and want a cut of that money for themselves. It’s easy money and there is obviously a huge demand out there

Elect Jim Silly-Balls for director of WI DMV today!

E: I also don’t think it’s a two stroke thing. They do not discriminate in the bikes they deny and I’ve never had anyone blink at me registering a multitude of two stroke bikes. Not any more than 4 strokes anyway

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 26, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I estimate an approximate 3000% increase of two strokes on the street since shelter-in-place began.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I went from seeing NO ONE in California riding around without a helmet to multiple people in my neighborhood, usually kids on dirt bikes just screwing around in the street, not going for long rides.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There have been a ton more dirt bikes, mini bikes and atvs out since quarantine near me.

Unfortunately, Wisconsin despite being relatively forested is crazy strict about where you can ride, so normal rear end suburbanites are smashing kids tracks into their lawns and it owns.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've been wanting an electric trials bike for a while because I think stealth riding would be incredible. The oset trials bike, the Yamaha electric trials booked and the sunron (less trials more all around) all look cool in their own ways. I was even on Craigslist looking for pit bikes but most of the good ones are well over a thousand bucks, make way too much noise, and are typically ridden hard and trashed by adults.

It's this point where I really wish I still had my childhood trail 70 around. I've got a big enough City yard that I could easily have a fun track.

I've also wondered at what point people who aren't working are going to start shedding their toys for a little extra income. I've seen some pretty good deals locally so far.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
An electric trials bike would answer the question of if I could die in the woods without making a sound.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I'm sorry for posting about a completely different bike every week, I swear I will pick one and shut up.

Is $3,200 for a 2003 DR650 a good deal? Everything is completely stock and looks very clean, but it has 20k miles.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dutymode posted:

I'm sorry for posting about a completely different bike every week, I swear I will pick one and shut up.

Is $3,200 for a 2003 DR650 a good deal? Everything is completely stock and looks very clean, but it has 20k miles.

That’s pretty average. Ask if the neutral sending unit bolts have been fixed. If suspension has been upgraded sensibly, NSU fixed, and upper chain guide fixed, it’s a great deal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

People generally dont buy DR's to pose and show off. They buy them to ride, and most do it

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Gorson posted:

Good question. I'm not really sure, but it's more likely to be some kind of DNR/environmental reason to keep 2T's off the streets. All of the states around us are not as restrictive :iiam:

Occasionally I will see a WI-plated XR650R or WR450F, not sure if they just got lucky at the DMV or pulled the Vermont trick.

Even with the Vermont/SD trick it's pure luck. Keeping that title through multiple registrations in the WI DMV system is also pure luck.

All the stupid loving harleys blasting past my house on the highway have driven me to not care anymore. I'm just gonna ride the XR with the SD plate and if I get pulled over by a cop that figures out what's going on I'll just be honest and tell them this bike is the only positive thing in my life right now.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 28, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a vehicle registered in a different state. People do that all the time all over the country. It’s not illegal to have an out of state registration in WI.

It might be illegal to keep a bike registered in SD outside of SD but that’s not for the WI police to worry about.

I had Vermont plates on my Elite 250 for 5 years and never once had any cops look twice at it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a vehicle registered in a different state. People do that all the time all over the country. It’s not illegal to have an out of state registration in WI.

This part is not entirely true in NY so check your local laws. If you’re a resident of a state you’re generally obligated to register your vehicles there.

Not that anyone’s checking but you should at least know what you’re doing wrong if you’re going to do it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well obviously the thing to do is to register an LLC in the state your bike is from and then register the bike as a fleet vehicle in that state. all problems solved forever

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's not exactly legal to use an out of state loophole to register a vehicle that you cannot operate on the street in your home state. I should definitely have an SD/Montana LLC though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im seeing quite a few ninja 400s in my area (los angeles) on craigslist for 4kish. My 2013 cbr500r has my favorite bike across the 7 or so bikes I have had since. It had comfort, good mpg and just enough power to be fun. Im looking for something similar, can anyone speak to those aspects of ninja 400 ownership? I can spare another 1k or so getting the bike up the scratch if needed.

Is that price lower than before the 'rona? I wasnt keeping an eye on them before.
Any common failures or things to watch out for? Im expecting it to need a service like every sportbike under 10kmiles on CL