Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Obscure's College of Winterhold has compatibility patches for some other mods that make Winterhold a little less of a wreck (The Great City of Winterhold and Winterhold Restored). Has anyone played with OCW and either of those other two city of Winterhold mods and can confirm they work together. Also, and more importantly, are either or both recommended? Winterhold Restored looks to have the most stuff, but GCoW somewhat looks to reflect the city it once was but is no longer.

OCW and The Great Cities play well together with the patch provided by OCW itself, yes. There's also finally a couple of patches that properly integrate The Great City of Winterhold with JK's Skyrim without it being a loving disaster, so you can have all three running and still have a functional Winterhold. The same patch (or a version of it at least) also brings the Cities of the North versions of Morthal and Dawnstar in line with both Great Cities and JK's Skyrim if you absolutely cannot choose between any of the three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

I guess Shenk's Thievery Overhaul is one of the (apparently many) things which breaks "Blood on the Ice". I had intended to complete it because a serial killer on the loose means a bunch of jumpy guards on patrol. But none of the normal triggers in the house exist for the investigation. I suspect it's related to the new "To Windhelm Walls" trapdoor installed inside even the non-player-owned version of Hjerm. It's not a big deal if it can't be completed.

Obscure's College of Winterhold has compatibility patches for some other mods that make Winterhold a little less of a wreck (The Great City of Winterhold and Winterhold Restored). Has anyone played with OCW and either of those other two city of Winterhold mods and can confirm they work together. Also, and more importantly, are either or both recommended? Winterhold Restored looks to have the most stuff, but GCoW somewhat looks to reflect the city it once was but is no longer.

Non-Modding gameplay story:

After sleeping in Autumnwatch Tower, some Hired Thugs came by to attack me for apparently stealing from the Dawnguard court mage. (I probably did it, but I don't recall.) I slipped away, then went stealth. I didn't kill them or hurt them at all, I simply pickpocketed all their gold, the contract out on me. The next time I was in Dawnguard, I stalked the court mage, and on her way back from the Mythic Dawn museum, there was a brief window of her travel not covered by guard patrols. I snuck up behind her, and reverse-pickpocketed into her inventory the contract she took out on my life and a steel dagger - as a warning not to try that again.

While Blood on the Ice is (hilariously) easy to break, are you sure it's just not triggering normally? I've had runs where I first went to Windhelm before level 5 and it wouldn't start until I was like 30. It's just really random, plus you have to enter Windhelm past 8:00 pm for a chance to trigger it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Orange Crush Rush posted:

While Blood on the Ice is (hilariously) easy to break, are you sure it's just not triggering normally? I've had runs where I first went to Windhelm before level 5 and it wouldn't start until I was like 30. It's just really random, plus you have to enter Windhelm past 8:00 pm for a chance to trigger it.

The quest triggered, I started the investigation, talked to the witnesses and the coroner, followed the blood trail, and I'm at the part where I need to go to Hjerm and poke around for clues. I did this quest on another character no more than a week ago. Then, I got prompts to investigate various things in the house - most red herrings, some clues. I cannot interact with any of them this time, not even the really vital parts. There is a trapdoor in the house which was definitely not there last time. (Neither lockpicking my way in or getting the key makes a difference.)

(I'm not an experienced modder, but I was under the impression that the Hjerm with the vital quest was a different instance from the Hjerm which is a player residence, so it baffles me that the mod would break the quest rather than only modify the player home version. ...ESPECIALLY since I don't think you can get it to be a player home until solving the murder at all.) EDIT: Okay, it is the same instance, so never mind. I suppose Bethesda did it that way to save on memory or something. Or who knows why.

If I really want, I can attempt to short-circuit the quest by pickpocketing the killer's key or outright getting rid of them, but that feels a little cheap. (Before you say "you did it for the Thieves Guild", that was because "Joining the Thieves Guild" was the entire point of this character.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 26, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It is explicitly not a separate instance in the vanilla game

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/trainwiz/status/1254295936236425217?s=20

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
*doing the Twitter clap thing* MAKE THAT MOD

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Trainwiz is the best :allears:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
btw has this been posted yet:

https://twitter.com/youngscrolls/status/1241417003241476096

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I did Blood on the Ice on my first playthrough and never touched it again, I mean on all my playthroughs there will be a crowd surrounding Susanna's corpse for months on end as I merrily ignore it going back and forth from the front gate to the market. I figured no one bothered with that quest more than once anyway.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It's one of the few quests with multiple outcomes, and it doesn't take that long, and Hjerim is one of the nicest houses.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I just figured that quest was completely unfinishable; I've attempted it in every run of the game I did, trying different things, modded and unmodded, and it would always break somewhere. Looking at the...three pages in small-point font of the bugs section at the end of a wiki page on it, I can see why I came to that conclusion.

At least a couple of times I at least managed to get bored of the thieve's guild and assassin quests before they broke entirely; I never fully mapped out what I had to do and what absolutely must not happen to make that particular murder mystery work out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blood on the ice is still the most notorious quest all these years later. Even running the unofficial patch it can still gently caress up in 30 different ways, if you can even get it to trigger in the first place.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't know if I ever did that quest but I do remember a quest in that area of the game world being so frustrating because I couldn't find a certain NPC necessary to advance the quest, eventually I used the console to teleport to the NPC and ended up in a creepy corpse room somewhere below the worldspace :spooky:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Like I said, I finished it perfectly fine last week.

I just tried talking to Viola first to see if I can trigger the alternate path (she investigates with you). That didn't work, presumably because I didn't talk to her earlier. I also tried "setstage MS11 60". That didn't work because the problem wasn't getting that part of the quest to trigger: The "Look For Clues" stage triggers perfectly, it's just that there are no longer prompts to interact with to find said clues. (Seriously, why not just put the trapdoor outside the house?)

Anyway, I'm probably going to do the Civil War questline on at least one future character, but I recall finding it repetitive and underwhelming. I'm sure there is a good recommended mod to improve the Civil War quests for one or both sides.

Since I never actually played Dawnguard or Dragonborn, I should get around to that. I'll probably combine that with the Companions + Dawnguard for Anti-Vampire action (and probably Dark Brotherhood for pro-Vampire action), so recommendations for improvements to those questlines would be nice.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 27, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I have a recommendation for improving Dawnguard: Don't play it.

Seriously though it's kind of like the Thieves Guild: you can enjoy it as long as for the love of Talos you don't think about the plot.

Dragonborn is great.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I've been using this for my companion play-through
The Companions - Earn your stripes
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13965

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like adding more randomly-generated filler to the guild questlines isn't the way to fix them, and if the fact that your character doesn't spend enough time doing the busywork before advancing to the top bothers you just headcanon that the few radiant quests you do are just part of the montage.

Of course, if you like radiant quests and genuinely enjoy doing them, ignore me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Also, if you do not enjoy doing radiant quests, why the gently caress are you playing Skyrim?!

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I like most of dawnguard until I get to the soul cairn. It's not a fun place, and the dialogue when talking with Valerica is just, just terrible. Like, exceptionally so even in Bethesda games. I don't quite understand the end of it though. The whole thing with how the prophecy was created by that jackass but is somehow in the Scrolls or something?

I want much more Dragonborn though. Playing it makes me excited for maybe one day getting Skywind.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean the Scrolls know about various events from the Elder Scrolls games (as per the Prophecy of the Dragonborn, which is in one of the books in Skyrim and I think Esbern (:rip: Max :smith:)) quotes in one of the trailers) but didn't create them

e: Did anyone else think it was weird that, since it's established that Esbern is very familiar with the prophecies, his reaction to dragons returning was "Welp, world's hosed" and not "hey, this means the Last Dragonborn must be out there somewhere!" Granting 30 years on the Thalmor's Most Wanted list must be hell on your general optimism, but Delphine twigged to it immediately and she wasn't as deeply into history/prophecy as Esbern.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 27, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

He's like one of those brokebrained D&D posters who make every thread miserable with their doom and gloom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Like I said, I finished it perfectly fine last week.

I just tried talking to Viola first to see if I can trigger the alternate path (she investigates with you). That didn't work, presumably because I didn't talk to her earlier. I also tried "setstage MS11 60". That didn't work because the problem wasn't getting that part of the quest to trigger: The "Look For Clues" stage triggers perfectly, it's just that there are no longer prompts to interact with to find said clues. (Seriously, why not just put the trapdoor outside the house?)

Anyway, I'm probably going to do the Civil War questline on at least one future character, but I recall finding it repetitive and underwhelming. I'm sure there is a good recommended mod to improve the Civil War quests for one or both sides.

Since I never actually played Dawnguard or Dragonborn, I should get around to that. I'll probably combine that with the Companions + Dawnguard for Anti-Vampire action (and probably Dark Brotherhood for pro-Vampire action), so recommendations for improvements to those questlines would be nice.

For the vampire path:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/97723 let's you skip visiting the Dawnguard before the first dungeon, because it never made sense to go their for a character that was already a vampire, if you want to be a Vampire before you start Dawnguard one of the Dark Brotherhood quests have you take one out, so it's easy to become one as long as you aren't a Wood Elf (stupid disease resistance).

Better Vampires is the overhaul I use, but Enaison also made one that I assume is up to their usual standards, the main website for Better Vampires has links to stuff that overhauls vampire lords too, since this only affects basic vampires

There's also a bunch of mods that make the vampire castle better, since it's kind of a dump, just look through the stuff labeled Volkihar on the Nexus

Dawnguard:
Better Vampire NPCs, might as well use it for both playthroughs but I put it here becaue it makes all the vampires you end up fighting have a lot more variety, it's from the Better Vampires guy, fully compatible but doesn't require Better Vampires for anything.

Companions:
Moonlight Tales is a good werewolf overhaul, but I usually don't bother because I never spend much time as a werewolf.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

dawnguard is pretty great when you recontextualize it as the a-team in TES, its very dumb and mostly about kicking rear end

but yeah the soul cairn isnt really fun

a mod that pushes back the dlc feels a must cause i think it starts around level 10 or so and its like give me some breathing room. fo4 had far harbour (mostly) locked behind getting far enough in the story to act 2, and nuka world being a level 30 thing, but dawnguards still like hey jump on in even if youre not ready

quote:

e: Did anyone else think it was weird that, since it's established that Esbern is very familiar with the prophecies, his reaction to dragons returning was "Welp, world's hosed" and not "hey, this means the Last Dragonborn must be out there somewhere!" Granting 30 years on the Thalmor's Most Wanted list must be hell on your general optimism, but Delphine twigged to it immediately and she wasn't as deeply into history/prophecy as Esbern.

the prophecies are pretty vague as hell, its been awhile since i played to remember what he said but if they were super specific we'd probably have a lot less emperors self-owning themselves long before uriel

the scrolls arent really a blueprint here's what's going to happen in TESX its more reading them will make you go blind and possibly mad if not trained right cause you're glimpsing at a bunch of parallel realities happening

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 27, 2020

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Been using Lexy's List and settings, and it pushes a ton of things back with 'Timing is Everything'. I think Dawnguard starts at 30, Dragonborn at 50 and a lot of the powerful daedric quests to like 25-40. It also uses the quests/exploration/kills give experience mod, which has been great. I'm actually not very far through any storylines and I just hit 40, which for me is pretty late game considering I usually get interested in a new character and reroll in my mid 20's.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i haven't used any of those but the regular assortment of alternate start mods starting out in raven rock you definitely can hit level 50 by the end, though its very, very brutal starting out even on normal difficulty, though not a bad little game in itself

very weird to go from that kicking miraaks rear end and decked out in enchanted bonemold and land in windhelm docks and everyones treating you like a shithead tho lol

edit: but yeah ive done multiple playthroughs that are basically just nothing but dragonborn on solstheim, it actually holds up on its own in terms of hours played if you go in at level 1 and not as an end game thing

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 27, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Berke Negri posted:

i haven't used any of those but the regular assortment of alternate start mods starting out in raven rock you definitely can hit level 50 by the end, though its very, very brutal starting out even on normal difficulty, though not a bad little game in itself

very weird to go from that kicking miraaks rear end and decked out in enchanted bonemold and land in windhelm docks and everyones treating you like a shithead tho lol

edit: but yeah ive done multiple playthroughs that are basically just nothing but dragonborn on solstheim, it actually holds up on its own in terms of hours played if you go in at level 1 and not as an end game thing

Do you know if most of the Apocalypse spells are available if you stay on Solstheim? I might try that (who am I kidding, I'd probably Stealth Archer it, maybe start daggering people when stealth gets high enough to be completely broken).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Skwirl posted:

For the vampire path:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/97723 let's you skip visiting the Dawnguard before the first dungeon, because it never made sense to go their for a character that was already a vampire, if you want to be a Vampire before you start Dawnguard one of the Dark Brotherhood quests have you take one out, so it's easy to become one as long as you aren't a Wood Elf (stupid disease resistance).

Better Vampires is the overhaul I use, but Enaison also made one that I assume is up to their usual standards, the main website for Better Vampires has links to stuff that overhauls vampire lords too, since this only affects basic vampires

There's also a bunch of mods that make the vampire castle better, since it's kind of a dump, just look through the stuff labeled Volkihar on the Nexus

Dawnguard:
Better Vampire NPCs, might as well use it for both playthroughs but I put it here becaue it makes all the vampires you end up fighting have a lot more variety, it's from the Better Vampires guy, fully compatible but doesn't require Better Vampires for anything.

Companions:
Moonlight Tales is a good werewolf overhaul, but I usually don't bother because I never spend much time as a werewolf.

Don’t forget Seranaholic and Marriable Serana for ummm....reasons....

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

graynull posted:

I like most of dawnguard until I get to the soul cairn. It's not a fun place, and the dialogue when talking with Valerica is just, just terrible. Like, exceptionally so even in Bethesda games. I don't quite understand the end of it though. The whole thing with how the prophecy was created by that jackass but is somehow in the Scrolls or something?

I want much more Dragonborn though. Playing it makes me excited for maybe one day getting Skywind.
I don't really understand what the Scrolls are for any more. It was weird enough in Oblivion where they... Cure Daedric curses? But as of Skyrim it just got a bit silly, I feel like you use at least four as just "cop-out magic things".

The main quest I guess could be justified by lore at a stretch (dragons are angels made of time, reading a Scroll essentially Breaks them with all that entails, potentially even causes them to Zero Sum?) but why do they e.g. block out the sun now.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 27, 2020

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't really understand what the Scrolls are for any more.
The Cowl of Nocturnal's curse was that it would steal the identity of the wearer. But Noctural isn't so powerful that she can erase someone's name from the Scrolls. The last Gray Fox used the Scroll to find out the name of the original cursed wearer and once that person's identity was known again the curse was broken.
In Dawnguard they basically just showed that Vyrthur came up with a idea to block out the sun. They only provided details about that prophecy. The Scrolls can show past & present and can show predictions of the future. Presumably any schmuck can come up with a prophecy and if it causes enough waves in the timeline it will show up in the Elder Scrolls if you look for it.

I got zero explanation of the Scroll's use in Skyrim's main quest though. The Scroll basically causing Akatosh to divide by zero into 5000 years later is the best I got from it as well.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 27, 2020

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Being Skyrim, I couldn't help but think of KoDP/Glorantha and always kind of imagined it was a God Quest sort of situation. Take this blueprint for how the world is supposed to work and gently caress things up enough in the right way that the world/timeline god/whatever breaks in your favor.

I dunno, the scrolls are macguffins in the Elder Scrolls universe, it'd be a bigger surprise if they were completely consistent in their presentation and behavior.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The scrolls are by definition ineffable; they're intrusions of pre-existence divine power into what mortals call "reality."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't really understand what the Scrolls are for any more. It was weird enough in Oblivion where they... Cure Daedric curses? But as of Skyrim it just got a bit silly, I feel like you use at least four as just "cop-out magic things".

The main quest I guess could be justified by lore at a stretch (dragons are angels made of time, reading a Scroll essentially Breaks them with all that entails, potentially even causes them to Zero Sum?) but why do they e.g. block out the sun now.

no, actually, you've basically got it

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a beginners guide to modding NPCs? I was thinking I'd start small, and just change Aela's hair and then maybe her facial tattoo or armour, etc as a way of learning how such things work

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The only things you really need to remember is to export new face gen data which is ctrl + shift + F4 while highlighting that NPCs entry in the list, and to not make them into crying-eyed huge-foreheaded shiny-skinned freakish alien waifus.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

the prophecies are pretty vague as hell, its been awhile since i played to remember what he said but if they were super specific we'd probably have a lot less emperors self-owning themselves long before uriel

the scrolls arent really a blueprint here's what's going to happen in TESX its more reading them will make you go blind and possibly mad if not trained right cause you're glimpsing at a bunch of parallel realities happening

When you first meet Esbern he's all "I knew it! I told them this would happen and they didn't listen!" (identical to Isran now that I think of it, but anyway) which means he must have gotten the gist of it at least as far as "The World-Eater Wakes", but he ignores "...and the Wheel turns upon the Last Dragonborn" because he's into nihilism or something.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 27, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sooo I have an infinite load screen on loadup and I'm trying to figure out what's going on with it. I thought RS Children and USSEP conflicts caused it but a) that problem was last year and b) I have an MO2 profile for a Beyond Skyrim playthrough with those installed too and there's no problems whatsoever. :shrug:

Here's my modlist, if it helps

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 27, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Are you running more than 255 esps like the list suggests? I think that's a fatal problem there.

Is the issue new, and is this a new list?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It turns out my problem with "Blood on the Ice" had nothing to do with Shenk's Thievery Overhaul at all. The actual culprit was "Thieves Guild For Good Guys", specifically "QF_MS11_0001F7A3.pex" in the Scripts directory. Rename that file when you want to do that quest, you can put it back the way it was later.

EDIT:
There is an interesting quirk with that quest and Shenk's, though. I decided to take advantage of the rooftops to try and keep an eye out for the killer on the streets while staying above - with the intent to snipe them with the bow if I saw anything. From the roof I could watch the killer not-at-all-subtly follow their intended victim around, but when it came to the climactic moment, the victim instead took a different route and the killer didn't make their move. I think something in the navmesh for that part doesn't work properly if you're on the rooftop zone. I went down to ground level for the final part and then it worked properly (not counting my several bungled attempts at shooting them from about 15 feet).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 28, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Sooo I have an infinite load screen on loadup and I'm trying to figure out what's going on with it. I thought RS Children and USSEP conflicts caused it but a) that problem was last year and b) I have an MO2 profile for a Beyond Skyrim playthrough with those installed too and there's no problems whatsoever. :shrug:

Here's my modlist, if it helps

Ironically, it's probably RSC_USSEP_AventusFix.esp that's causing the infinite wheel at the main menu. The infinite menu was thanks to some weird bug specifically tied to Aventus Aretino, hence why that patch was needed. It's since been fixed in both USSEP and RS Children, so now ironically the patch actually causes the error it was supposed to fix. Try disabling it and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Every time I start a new play through, I tell myself that when I get to Blackreach, I’m just gonna go in and get the Elder Scroll and get out. Instead I find myself collecting 30 red nirnroots and mining a million geode nodes...every loving time.