Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orv posted:

Spring Sale used to be last week of May but might not exist anymore. Summer sale tends to be last two weeks of June, give or take.

If steam doesn't do a massive sale while there's still a massive loving lockdown going on in most of the world for this pandemic, then it's pretty clear that capitalism is a loving lie of course it loving is lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean FFXIV Shadowbringers has some of the best writing I've ever seen in a game but ok.

How many hours till i get to that?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Serephina posted:

I've seen good (non-video game) interpretations of it.

One instance a group had a magic cupboard that "fixed" anything broken that you put in it. Crockery etc. They had a little girl dying of cancer or somesuch, and it was suggested to screw the ethics, put her in the cupboard and see what happens. Father responded that yes, they've been doing that - last time was just this morning. Turns out it can rewind the organ failure, but not the cancer doing it, which 'belonged'.

So yea, it's been thought of and has had some good takes on it. It just requires better writing than whatever you'll find in a FinalFantasy game.

you can do interesting things with the concept but i don't think 'why couldn't you just use a phoenix down an aerith' is really a legitimate critique about final fantasy's writing; it's a minor gripe at most and cinemasins level nitpicking at worst

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fargin Icehole posted:

a lot of hours. heavensward is really good too though and thats only the 2nd expansion

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

dmboogie posted:

you can do interesting things with the concept but i don't think 'why couldn't you just use a phoenix down an aerith' is really a legitimate critique about final fantasy's writing; it's a minor gripe at most and cinemasins level nitpicking at worst
The "down" status isn't even death, it's usually "knocked out" (yes having a spell called Death cause knock out is misleading). I don't think it's a real complaint it's kind of just a meme, and the devs leaned into this meme ages back by having phoenix downs one-shot undead enemies and bosses from time to time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Fargin Icehole posted:

The base game took me 48 hours.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fargin Icehole posted:

At least 200 if not longer. Game good but very very long.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah the important thing to realize about ffxiv is that it's basically an entire series of JRPGs unto itself even without the MMO side content

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DrNutt posted:

If steam doesn't do a massive sale while there's still a massive loving lockdown going on in most of the world for this pandemic, then it's pretty clear that capitalism is a loving lie of course it loving is lol

Not that you're wrong about capitalism, but Valve probably would have to get a ton of paperwork done in order to get the permissions from jillions of publishers in order to have a previously unscheduled big sale, and especially with Valve's workplace model, that's probably not trivial to organize.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mzbundifund posted:

Not that you're wrong about capitalism, but Valve probably would have to get a ton of paperwork done in order to get the permissions from jillions of publishers in order to have a previously unscheduled big sale, and especially with Valve's workplace model, that's probably not trivial to organize.

Fair enough, but you'd also think publishers would be chomping at the bit to capitalize on some of this also, especially looking at how bonkers poo poo has gotten with Animal Crossing and the Nintendo Switch.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you haven't started FFXIV at all, wait until they revamp it somewhere around summer time. From what they've said on the recent stream, they may have actually cut the time needed to clear ARR perhaps by half. With how long the game is now, you'd probably need close to 3 months of regular playing to get to the end and experience most of the fun bits. ARR is about a month of this time. It's that long and that fluffy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

dmboogie posted:

yeah the important thing to realize about ffxiv is that it's basically an entire series of JRPGs unto itself even without the MMO side content

Imo one good way of putting it is imagine if there was an extremely good Mass Effect 4 but to play it, you had to play through the first three in order.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Blattdorf posted:

If you haven't started FFXIV at all, wait until they revamp it somewhere around summer time. From what they've said on the recent stream, they may have actually cut the time needed to clear ARR perhaps by half. With how long the game is now, you'd probably need close to 3 months of regular playing to get to the end and experience most of the fun bits. ARR is about a month of this time. It's that long and that fluffy.

Jesus Christ, I think i'll wait.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Volte posted:

Yes, Jack takes a side without necessarily making the player feel like they're making that choice. But that's because the player isn't making that choice. It's part of the narrative. That's presented by this blog post as an inherent flaw in the game, but I don't see any real argument as to why that should be. Most games give you objectives without giving you the opportunity to meaningfully circumvent those objectives or convince you, the player, that they are correct or necessary. This is especially evident in the meta sense when you replay a game you've played before and you know you're walking into the villain's trap but you have no choice but to do it to progress the game. That's just how games work.
yeah it's kind of weird because for me the lack of player agency in bioshock's story is the most coherently ludonarrative part of it. As a player I didn't reject that lack of agency, I just unconsciously accepted it as the structure of the game - a structure I was very familiar from other games. Go here, do the thing, progress. So when the story turns and reveals the reason behind that structure was Jack's unconscious manipulation it also revealed to me how I had almost-consciously accepted that manipulation in the same manner as the character I was playing - I was bound by the game's mechanics to fulfill the narrative tale of his enslavement, and I did so with the same lack of recognition of my state as he had of his.

Megasabin posted:

I've wanted to try it for a few years, but now that I'm actually playing Divinity Original Sin II it's not really doing much for me. I feel like every D&D based game has the same boring story about an imperial order that oppresses mages. The characters aren't really drawing me in either. I ended up putting down Dragon Age Origins for the same reason. I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate II back in the day, which is why I get excited for these games, but I think my tastes have changed.

Debating now whether I should continue to power through (I'm only 3-4 hours in) or just move on to Into the Breach, Oxygen Not Included, or Battle Brothers.
if it helps they're not actually oppressing mages but gods ascendant.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I finished up the campaign Tales of Maj'eyal and I think I won't make another character. That game kinda straddles the limits of the traditional roguelike in terms of campaign structure, and while I enjoyed it I kinda don't want to go through the same campaign again. It's not like Qud where the world outside of the quests is the main draw.

Blattdorf posted:

This really was the weirdest thing when my friends were way into FFXIV. They're all loving the new content and pushing me to keep playing, and like, after two weeks of ARR I couldn't take it anymore. They were so confused and I think a lot of the older players forget how generic and bland all that beginning stuff is.

That, and I realized I can't do hotbar combat anymore. Been nearly two decades of that, bring back the weird mid 2000s MMOs with different combat systems.

Or, hell, someone take Black Desert's combat system and put it in an MMO that doesn't make me need to gouge my soul and wallet out to be competitive.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Currently halfway through the Volga level in Metro Exodus. I really like the new open world approach, feels like they built upon the surface levels of Last Light and I am enjoying having to craft supplies on the field and being able to mess with attachments, but just I can't find it in me to care about having to clean weapons or the long, ~immersive~ animations for everything, from opening your crafting menu to opening doors. Movement in general feels very stiff in this game, to the point where sprinting over ramp-like pieces of debris that are literally lying on the ground will hurt you when you land, just because of how far it launches you. Anomalies were pretty cool and atmospheric but their hurtbox was not entirely clear either.

Man, GamePass was really worth it, especially to check out some expensive stuff like this game. I was really pumped for Metro Exodus but it sorta feels like they went a bit too heavy on the simulation for my liking.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Codeacious posted:

I finished up the campaign Tales of Maj'eyal and I think I won't make another character. That game kinda straddles the limits of the traditional roguelike in terms of campaign structure, and while I enjoyed it I kinda don't want to go through the same campaign again. It's not like Qud where the world outside of the quests is the main draw.

This really was the weirdest thing when my friends were way into FFXIV. They're all loving the new content and pushing me to keep playing, and like, after two weeks of ARR I couldn't take it anymore. They were so confused and I think a lot of the older players forget how generic and bland all that beginning stuff is.

That, and I realized I can't do hotbar combat anymore. Been nearly two decades of that, bring back the weird mid 2000s MMOs with different combat systems.

Or, hell, someone take Black Desert's combat system and put it in an MMO that doesn't make me need to gouge my soul and wallet out to be competitive.

Dungeon Fighter Online’s marriage of Shadows of Mystara beat ‘em up gameplay (with some modernizations borrowed from fighting games) to instance-based MMO structure is an enlightenment.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i bought alien:isolation on the steam sale, what are the essential dlcs? i dont care about survivor modes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

i bought alien:isolation on the steam sale, what are the essential dlcs? i dont care about survivor modes

none really

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Megasabin posted:

I've wanted to try it for a few years, but now that I'm actually playing Divinity Original Sin II it's not really doing much for me. I feel like every D&D based game has the same boring story about an imperial order that oppresses mages. The characters aren't really drawing me in either. I ended up putting down Dragon Age Origins for the same reason. I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate II back in the day, which is why I get excited for these games, but I think my tastes have changed.

Debating now whether I should continue to power through (I'm only 3-4 hours in) or just move on to Into the Breach, Oxygen Not Included, or Battle Brothers.

Did you already play pillars of eternity 2? I kinda lost interest in the first game about half way through but the sequel has really hooked me in.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Ya that's what I was thinking, guess just gonna wait for summer sale but I was thinking of just getting rdr2, has that been in sale?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ulio posted:

Ya that's what I was thinking, guess just gonna wait for summer sale but I was thinking of just getting rdr2, has that been in sale?

I thought I saw it on sale for 25 or 30 % off at one point, but it's not right now. And that may have been on PSN my memory is a little fuzzy on it. I know for sure it's been on sale on consoles a bunch but I swear it's been on sale on Steam as well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I thought I saw it on sale for 25 or 30 % off at one point, but it's not right now. And that may have been on PSN my memory is a little fuzzy on it. I know for sure it's been on sale on consoles a bunch but I swear it's been on sale on Steam as well.

Ya I want on PC just to run it on max, I am pretty sure its on sale on ps4 now, I have a pro but that poo poo is so freaking loud its incredible.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've definitely seen it on sale at EGS and some key sites but those are also giving EGS keys. Not sure about Steam sales, don't think it happened yet.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ulio posted:

Ya I want on PC just to run it on max, I am pretty sure its on sale on ps4 now, I have a pro but that poo poo is so freaking loud its incredible.

You're on for a treat, I can't even run at max settings but even at slightly reduced it's amazingly gorgeous, probably one of the best looking games I've ever played. And if you have a decent system it's really nice not to be stuck at 30 fps.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Steam sale dates always leak once Valve starts talking to devs/publishers too (there's just too many to keep it under wraps at this point) and we haven't heard anything about an early sale.

This site keep track of the leaked dates, or presumed regular dates if nothing has leaked yet: https://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
RDR2 was on sale for $40ish on a few places around launch, but I don't think it's seen much of a sale since then. I want to say I bought it for around $42.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It was 20% off a month ago, and also for the winter sale: https://steamdb.info/sub/402134/

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any good multiplayer murder mysteries?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

If you have Tabletop Simulator you can play Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. If you have good bandwidth you can use Remote Play Together too and only use one copy of the game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Det_no posted:

If you have Tabletop Simulator you can play Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. If you have good bandwidth you can use Remote Play Together too and only use one copy of the game.

I have read oodles about that game and TTS might be a bit too daunting for some of the players we have's screen size and set ups.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn with everyone else spectating over your shoulder :v:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
danganronpa hotseat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Penny for your thoughts on Element TD 2? Looks like fun, but I don't have much to compare it to - I'm totally unfamiliar with the genre. Unless Plants vs Zombies for like 20 minutes counts I guess??

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 27, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So since I couldn't sleep this morning, I got up early and I marathoned through Bioshock 2.

I've heard a lot of people praise Bioshock 2, and while I thought the writing/dialog was pretty good, the gameplay is kind of hit-and-miss. However, in saying that, I think the issue isn't solely with Bioshock 2, but maybe with the original as well.

It's been a long time since I've played Bioshock 1, but I think I played it on Easy back then. With Bioshock 2, I played on Medium, and had a bit of a rougher time, though some of it lies with some issues I have with how combat works. Some of the weapons don't really feel like they have an impact, and it seems like you've got to dump a lot of ammo into an enemy (especially the larger ones) before they go down. Some of the issues are probably my fault, since I didn't opt for every single ADAM upgrade I could, and I ignored some of the powers outright (Scout, Decoy, Wind Trap), but I was skeptical about how useful some of the abilities would be. Thing is, I remember having this same issue with Bioshock 1, where I was hesitant to upgrade my abilities.

Some of the issue could have been how I approached situations. I might have had an easier time if I had been more methodical and made more use of of some of the different ammo types (trap rivets and spears to lure enemies). However, the weapon system is one of my biggest complaints. It felt really clumsy switching between weapons and plasmids in the midst of a fight, especially when you've got bigger enemies charging you, and you run out of ammo or EVE. It doesn't help that the weapons are mapped in the order of which you collect them, so I kept messing up by hitting the key for the remote hacking tool when I meant to pull up the machine gun. :argh:

It dropped off a bit around the the midway point, but picked up again towards the end. I did think it got pretty goofy towards the end. I remember people complained about the last portion of Bioshock 1 and how schmaltzy the good ending. In, Bioshock 2, though, you get knocked out by the villain because your life is tied to your daughter's heartbeat, so she suffocates you daughter until she passes out. Then your daughter sends a Little Sister to give you some injection that lets you possess her so you can gather the parts so you daughter can become a Big Sister and free you. From there, she gives you a Plasmid that lets you summon her to fight alongside you, where she attacks enemies and spouts taunts. Once you get through the last portion and get to the surface, it ends with her absorbing you into her head. I mean, I still enjoyed it, but it did get a little ridiculous.

I also played through Minvera's Den, which I actually thought was setup up a bit better. The ion cannon is cool, and having the upgraded weapon just be scattered throughout the map I like better than the upgrade stations. The story had a pretty good twist, and it tugs on my heartstrings more than the main game did. Admittedly, I was getting really burned out by that point, so that might be why my praise of it isn't higher.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Uh base game took me about 2+ hours a day for two weeks? then heavensward took me about another month of off/on play (i get distracted with MMO side tasks)

I then did stormblood and then burnt out after the Game of Thrones sidequests with the dragon people.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I left my Humble Choice bundle active this month on accident. Which games should I discard?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Turok 2 is really only good for nostalgia(They are well done remasters if it looks interesting to you, but still Turok), Shoppe Keep 2's reviews say it's buggy, unfinished and abandoned by the devs, iirc people only had bad things to say about The Bard's Tale IV last time it came up, Capitalism 2 is a good economic sim but it's also from 2001

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 28, 2020

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ulio posted:

When is the next big Steam sale?

I don't know about you, but basically everything on my wishlist has gone on sale since mid-March, for some unexplicable reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

So since I couldn't sleep this morning, I got up early and I marathoned through Bioshock 2.

I've heard a lot of people praise Bioshock 2, and while I thought the writing/dialog was pretty good, the gameplay is kind of hit-and-miss. However, in saying that, I think the issue isn't solely with Bioshock 2, but maybe with the original as well.

It's been a long time since I've played Bioshock 1, but I think I played it on Easy back then. With Bioshock 2, I played on Medium, and had a bit of a rougher time, though some of it lies with some issues I have with how combat works. Some of the weapons don't really feel like they have an impact, and it seems like you've got to dump a lot of ammo into an enemy (especially the larger ones) before they go down. Some of the issues are probably my fault, since I didn't opt for every single ADAM upgrade I could, and I ignored some of the powers outright (Scout, Decoy, Wind Trap), but I was skeptical about how useful some of the abilities would be. Thing is, I remember having this same issue with Bioshock 1, where I was hesitant to upgrade my abilities.

Some of the issue could have been how I approached situations. I might have had an easier time if I had been more methodical and made more use of of some of the different ammo types (trap rivets and spears to lure enemies). However, the weapon system is one of my biggest complaints. It felt really clumsy switching between weapons and plasmids in the midst of a fight, especially when you've got bigger enemies charging you, and you run out of ammo or EVE. It doesn't help that the weapons are mapped in the order of which you collect them, so I kept messing up by hitting the key for the remote hacking tool when I meant to pull up the machine gun. :argh:

It dropped off a bit around the the midway point, but picked up again towards the end. I did think it got pretty goofy towards the end. I remember people complained about the last portion of Bioshock 1 and how schmaltzy the good ending. In, Bioshock 2, though, you get knocked out by the villain because your life is tied to your daughter's heartbeat, so she suffocates you daughter until she passes out. Then your daughter sends a Little Sister to give you some injection that lets you possess her so you can gather the parts so you daughter can become a Big Sister and free you. From there, she gives you a Plasmid that lets you summon her to fight alongside you, where she attacks enemies and spouts taunts. Once you get through the last portion and get to the surface, it ends with her absorbing you into her head. I mean, I still enjoyed it, but it did get a little ridiculous.

I also played through Minvera's Den, which I actually thought was setup up a bit better. The ion cannon is cool, and having the upgraded weapon just be scattered throughout the map I like better than the upgrade stations. The story had a pretty good twist, and it tugs on my heartstrings more than the main game did. Admittedly, I was getting really burned out by that point, so that might be why my praise of it isn't higher.

The combat in Bioshock 2 is a lot better and more responsive than the original, to the point that you could only have a weapon or plasmid out at the same time, not both. So if you found it clunky in Bioshock 2 then a replay of the original would be insufferable for you.