Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fished for 2 hours, nothing to show but a 14" red drum.

Then some dude and his daughter came on the pier. First they pulled in a gigantic bowfin that had to go 6 or 7 pounds. Then they caught a striper that was 5 pounds (we used my scale on that one). Then a catfish. I asked what he was using, he said cut up blue crab and offered me some.

By the time I left later I also had a 4lb catfish, a 3lb catfish, a dink of a bullhead, and a personal best gator spotted seatrout 19 inches long and 5 pounds (that would have taken the whole pole had I not moved my chair to sit over it). They'd added their own smaller trout and a handful of catfish.

yeah, I need to get a crab trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Fish love eating crustaceans, green prawns from the supermarket is one of may favourite baits.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

gay picnic defence posted:

Fish love eating crustaceans, green prawns from the supermarket is one of may favourite baits.

Watch out, prawns meant for human consumption can spread fish diseases.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/...-prawns-as-bait

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Fish love eating crustaceans

They were being picky about them and outright ignoring my shrimp

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Mailed in the boat registration today :getin:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My tackle bag (finally) took a dump. All of the zippers finally seized up and I need vice grips to open them.

Looking at three different bags. The blue one has no zippers (big plus) but the KVD has all the bells and whistles I want. Spiderwire one is budget option if the first two look like poop. Normally I'd drive to Cabelas and fondle the bags but seeing as that's not an option you guys have any experience with these?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yooper posted:

My tackle bag (finally) took a dump. All of the zippers finally seized up and I need vice grips to open them.

Looking at three different bags. The blue one has no zippers (big plus) but the KVD has all the bells and whistles I want. Spiderwire one is budget option if the first two look like poop. Normally I'd drive to Cabelas and fondle the bags but seeing as that's not an option you guys have any experience with these?

Plano has poo poo zippers. I'd avoid those.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've played with the plano kryptek stuff a bit and its not bad, biggest problem I've had with their bags has been breaking the pull tabs on the zippers. Usually after a couple years of use and its still a problem that is very fixable.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_E-Series_3600_Tackle_Backpacks_/descpage-PEB.html

I had this bag for about a year. It worked well and outside of the little dangly paracord loops everything held up well. The only reason I stopped using it was I wanted more space and the flambeau bag I tried on was way more comfortable on my big ol goon body. :btroll:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'd go with whichever looks the easiest to carry.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Grab a good quality lightweight hiking backpack and just stuff it full of tackle trays.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a blue gulp bag I got for Christmas 2 years back. Zippers are still perfect but it’s a boat bag.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I know that very tasty fish typically comes from very cold ocean water. I'd like to catch fish primarily for eating, and not for the sport. Are there any good spots in southern california? Would I have to pay to go on a fishing boat to catch something good? Will I get cancer if I eat fish off the coast of LA?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ChocNitty posted:

I know that very tasty fish typically comes from very cold ocean water. I'd like to catch fish primarily for eating, and not for the sport. Are there any good spots in southern california? Would I have to pay to go on a fishing boat to catch something good? Will I get cancer if I eat fish off the coast of LA?

Y’all got some of the best kayak fishing for pacific rock fish, scorpionfish and lingcod all excellent eating. The party boats will show you what it’s all about but with a little effort and some gear you can do very well for yourself.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Tasty fish are everywhere. Do you want white fleshed mild fish, meaty tuna style boys, or rich oily fish? A party boat will set you up, or hire a guide/ boat captain and tell them you want to fill the freezer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tuna/albacore charters on the west coast are never cheap. Doubt you could find one for less that $250. Typical day rockfish charter starts around $80 plus a tip for the deckhand. If you have zero gear rentals will put you back a little more too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is that Fisherman's Life guy on youtube based in socal?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
He's outta San Francisco I believe.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Speaking of fishing youtubers I like marling baits, he does a bunch of videos where he builds lures out of wood or resin and then catches a fish with them.

Also w/r/t fishing youtubers, could someone please explain what "googan squad" is, suddenly half of the fishing videos I see are different people saying googan squad

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

titties posted:

Speaking of fishing youtubers I like marling baits, he does a bunch of videos where he builds lures out of wood or resin and then catches a fish with them.

Also w/r/t fishing youtubers, could someone please explain what "googan squad" is, suddenly half of the fishing videos I see are different people saying googan squad
Googan is a slur used by commercial fishermen in the Atlantic northeast to describe idiot recreational fishermen. A googan is the guy who doesn't mind his drift and cuts you off a $10,000 bluefin. A googan is the rear end in a top hat who sets up 10 feet beside you when there's 1000 feet of open coastline.

Some youtubers have taken it up as an everyman tag aimed at other recreational fisherman. It's mostly a Boston thing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

He's outta San Francisco I believe.
Yeah, he's based out of San Fran, but travels around a lot.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Currently at beach with three blues and one bull whiting. Lots of little dudes thrown back

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Our (Me and Fiance) favorite's youtube fish guy is Catfish And Carp / Outdoor Boys. This dude does not seem real sometimes. He's a DC Lawyer born and raised in Alaska, he speaks Japaneese, loves international travel, and teaches his three blond sons about fishing, bushcraft, making cool stuff in the garage, and catching hundreds of pounds of catfish.

Tied for second is Brook Crist / Landshark, and Hey Skipper (used to be Senko Skipper). Hey Skipper is a fun couple, they're more Maryland based but jaunt down to Florida a lot, they do tons of shore fishing and we (as a fellow interracial couple) love their vibe. Brook Crist and Landshark are a Florida fishing power couple, nice people and very aproachable. They do Catch And Cooks nearly every video.

We also watch DeerMeatForDinner, but we get sick of his humblebragging and arm flailing pretty quick.

We also like some international fishing videos. From the fiance's home state of Kerala is OMKV Fishing & Cooking, he does a lot of catch and cooks. Just so you know, there are NO RULES on recreational fishing in many places. So he keeps a lot of small stuff, but they do end up eating all of it (and it looks delicious!) The videos are almost entirely in Malayalam, but there's enough English peppered throughout to get the gist.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 21, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Suspect Bucket posted:

Our (Me and Fiance) favorite's youtube fish guy is Catfish And Carp / Outdoor Boys. This dude does not seem real sometimes. He's a DC Lawyer born and raised in Alaska, he speaks Japaneese, loves international travel, and teaches his three blond sons about fishing, bushcraft, making cool stuff in the garage, and catching hundreds of pounds of catfish.

Tied for second is Brook Crist / Landshark, and Hey Skipper (used to be Senko Skipper). Hey Skipper is a fun couple, they're more Maryland based but jaunt down to Florida a lot, they do tons of shore fishing and we (as a fellow interracial couple) love their vibe. Brook Crist and Landshark are a Florida fishing power couple, nice people and very aproachable. They do Catch And Cooks nearly every video.

We also watch DeerMeatForDinner, but we get sick of his humblebragging and arm flailing pretty quick.

We also like some international fishing videos. From the fiance's home state of Kerala is OMKV Fishing & Cooking, he does a lot of catch and cooks. Just so you know, there are NO RULES on recreational fishing in many places. So he keeps a lot of small stuff, but they do end up eating all of it (and it looks delicious!) The videos are almost entirely in Malayalam, but there's enough English peppered throughout to get the gist.
I love DeerMeatForDinner, but the humblebrag stuff is pretty cringe. He does cool stuff and seems like a genuine guy who's respectful of his community, other businesses and the land, though. He brother BlueGabe is better, imho. Key West Kayak Fishing is a fun watch also. I also recently got turned on to EIS Alaska, a family-operated commercial Alaska business that has some interesting videos.

Landshark is fun.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Currently at beach with three blues and one bull whiting. Lots of little dudes thrown back
I'm jealous; my beach just extended their shutdown. My partner and I are taking an extended stay down there when they open back up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dik Hz posted:

I love DeerMeatForDinner, but the humblebrag stuff is pretty cringe. He does cool stuff and seems like a genuine guy who's respectful of his community, other businesses and the land, though. He brother BlueGabe is better, imho. Key West Kayak Fishing is a fun watch also. I also recently got turned on to EIS Alaska, a family-operated commercial Alaska business that has some interesting videos.

Landshark is fun.

I dunno why, but BlueGabe creeps me out. Like, I would avoid him in Publix.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Suspect Bucket posted:

I dunno why, but BlueGabe creeps me out. Like, I would avoid him in Publix.
He's the living embodiment of FloridaMan, but I'm not picking up on any creepy vibes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I will forever take the chance to promote Brian Latimer's channel. He's a professional largemouth bass tournament angler formally with FLW, now with BASS. His videos range from full on tournament prep and fishing tournament videos, to him and his son dirt biking around to ponds to bank fish. The dude just loves fishing and will get excited over even a dink when pond fishing. Hes just a bundle of wholesome, down to earth energy. :kimchi:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dik Hz posted:

Googan is a slur used by commercial fishermen in the Atlantic northeast to describe idiot recreational fishermen. A googan is the guy who doesn't mind his drift and cuts you off a $10,000 bluefin. A googan is the rear end in a top hat who sets up 10 feet beside you when there's 1000 feet of open coastline.

Some youtubers have taken it up as an everyman tag aimed at other recreational fisherman. It's mostly a Boston thing.

Thanks for the explanation. After watching some more videos it looks like it is also a brand of plastics, some of the youtubers I've seen wearing googan squad shirts have boxes crammed with paddletails and worms and craws that all say googan on the sleeve.

In other news I bought my fishing license yesterday so of course it started snowing as soon as I printed it out. I also missed an opportunity by not noticing the time/date because my license says 4/20/2020 at 4:26

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ended up with half a dozen blues, two really good sized ones, and two big whiting. The whiting were filleted, breaded and fried for dinner fish sandwiches each fillet was perfect for an oversized sandwich. The blues were filleted and chunked and put in the dehydrator for healthy dog treats.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

LADIES. GENTLEMEN. I come to you tonight with a tale of the impossible. A man (it's me i'm the guy) who managed to land not two, not three, but FIVE bass (and two that got off) on one Senko in 15 minutes, which is still intact and on the rod that caught them. It has also snatched a couple of dinks on previous trips. They said it couldn't be done, that you maxed out at 2 fish per worm, but friends I'm here to tell you it can be done.

The big fella there counts as my next-to-personal-best, chonking out near 4.5 lbs. Not bad for a dinky little glorified drainage pond behind a Sheetz.

Yesterday I went slinging menhaden in Aurora; no luck for 2 hours, then a 4.5lb catfish, and a bowfin that I assumed was 8-10 (he was closer to 5) from how he fought. For having such a reputation as trash fish, these prehistoric fucks fight like a goddamn bull.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tied for second is Brook Crist / Landshark, and Hey Skipper (used to be Senko Skipper)

Hey, I watch the Skipper every now and again. I did feel bad for him when he showed up at Hatteras with like a 7 foot surf rod though.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My daughter wants to try and catch some carp but I'm not familiar with their habitats. What kind of body of water am I looking for?

I'm familiar with the basic rigs and pack bait/corn and I'm in eastern NC too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Nice bassin!

Yesterday I was supposed to go do ontario trout opener on a private creek but instead: social distancing. Bass doesn't open here until late June and I'm hoping things are better enough by then that maybe the conservation areas reopen or I can figure out somewhere that I can put my kayak in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rythe posted:

My daughter wants to try and catch some carp but I'm not familiar with their habitats. What kind of body of water am I looking for?

I'm familiar with the basic rigs and pack bait/corn and I'm in eastern NC too.

o poo poo whaddup neighbor

You should be able to snag them in any of the major rivers, but they're easier to find in a nice weedy lake.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I've rigged a drop system on my drone to try to fly out past the sandbar edge. It's way too far to even wade and cast. Gonna try it out this week I think if I can keep the courage up. It'll be an expensive disaster if I gently caress it up.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh yeah I also got an RTIC 20 cooler as an anniversary appointment. It'll keep ice for days. Score me!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

I've rigged a drop system on my drone to try to fly out past the sandbar edge. It's way too far to even wade and cast. Gonna try it out this week I think if I can keep the courage up. It'll be an expensive disaster if I gently caress it up.

How heavy a weight can it it deliver?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
3 oz is the most I'll go with. 4 with rig and bait in testing. Fingers crossed.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

o poo poo whaddup neighbor

You should be able to snag them in any of the major rivers, but they're easier to find in a nice weedy lake.

The Goldsboro area is poo poo for ponds or lakes, not sure if the Neuse would produce carp or not. My daughter has been loving carp catching videos on YouTube and I want to get her hooked on one.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rythe posted:

The Goldsboro area is poo poo for ponds or lakes, not sure if the Neuse would produce carp or not. My daughter has been loving carp catching videos on YouTube and I want to get her hooked on one.

Neuse and the Tar both have 'em, just don't know how abundant they are. From a quick Google search there used to be big carp near Kinston in the Neuse; some may have dropped into those 3 ponds right off of 70 at the Neuseway Nature Center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I forgot about that area, I'll have to give it a quick search and maybe a trip down there.