Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thanks for explaining all that. Reminds me of the old “sparkledammerung” posted on Live Journal where an ex-Mormon woman broke down where Twilight was heavily inspired by Mormon ideas. They felt Meyer’s descriptions of Edward felt eerily similar to what they were taught about Joseph Smith!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mmm, Joseph, this is the place :wiggle:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guess who just saw an excerpt from the anal scene in Fifty Shades Freed

https://twitter.com/america929/status/1246272961503318016?s=21

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

chitoryu12 posted:

Guess who just saw an excerpt from the anal scene in Fifty Shades Freed

https://twitter.com/america929/status/1246272961503318016?s=21

:gonk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"Really?" he says dayly

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Reminder this also indicates Hellspawn doesn’t think women 30+ are attractive. You’re welcome.

Also as someone who read the entirety of das_sporking’s 50SoG reviews I hate that you reminded me of this.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Reminder this also indicates Hellspawn doesn’t think women 30+ are attractive.

They're awful books by a garbage writer. That said that's a bit of a stretch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a myth that when the Finnish edition of Atwood's The Robber Bride was being published, the graphic designers were all on strike.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Wow. What do you think - first page on shutterstock.com?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The ease of magic is one of the things I wish Rowling had covered more instead of using it for a few gags. Wizarding society has actually stagnated because (in addition to their self-imposed isolation from non-magical humans) access to magic has made life so easy that they've gotten used to using it as a crutch. It would be interesting to see the deeper implications, like wizards and witches having an extremely poor grasp of science and technology compared to Muggles because their education is almost exclusively about magic and they've never had to learn it as deeply as someone who needs to use science to improve society. Or their reliance on using magic to solve all their problems means a lot of them grow up with poor problem-solving skills and are hopeless when confronted with a situation that they can't magic away.

I’m currently writing a spec script (just for fun, I don’t anticipate it going anywhere) that’s basically “The kids at Hogwarts that are aspiring lawyers/business owners/etc create a makeshift trade school inside the school.” It’s such an interesting world, it’s a shame all JK can think to do with it is fan-service.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

I’m currently writing a spec script (just for fun, I don’t anticipate it going anywhere) that’s basically “The kids at Hogwarts that are aspiring lawyers/business owners/etc create a makeshift trade school inside the school.” It’s such an interesting world, it’s a shame all JK can think to do with it is fan-service.

Or fan disservice, considering a lot of fans were not white straight kids.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dirksteadfast posted:

Cut out the Rowling references, make it your own setting, and make it a thing. Rowling didn't invent magic schools, and that ladder-pulling TERF doesn't deserve any more exposure.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Cut out the Rowling references, make it your own setting, and make it a thing. Rowling didn't invent magic schools, and that ladder-pulling TERF doesn't deserve any more exposure.

I built a world for another series of books I wrote, which was a blast but it’s fun playing around in someone else’s sandbox for a while. The references start and end with the mechanics of the world, with the premise hinging on recognizing how broken it all is. I appreciate your sentiment though.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's a very specific joy in taking something full of holes and trying to patch those holes. I'm familiar with the feeling because I've been watching through the TOS run of Star Trek and keep feeling a compulsion to make the stories, you know, not terrible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've never read a Harry Potter book or seen a Harry Potter film.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Okay.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I don't have that problem. Goodbye!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Now tell us if you have a television

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I WILL NOW LIST ALL THE CHILDREN'S BOOKS AND MOVIES I HAVE NOT READ OR SEEN *ahem*

1) Atlas Shrugged

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

capitaldelendaest posted:

Now tell us if you have a refrigerator

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I've seen the films but I don't really remember them :smug:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Djeser posted:

There's a very specific joy in taking something full of holes and trying to patch those holes. I'm familiar with the feeling because I've been watching through the TOS run of Star Trek and keep feeling a compulsion to make the stories, you know, not terrible.

That way lies fanfiction.

Actually I was talking to a friend about what makes good fodder for fanworks, and Harry Potter and Star Trek were my titular examples.They both have good world-building and characters paired with a middling story and I think that's what draws people in the most when it comes to making their own versions of something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carthag Tuek posted:

I've seen the films but I don't really remember them :smug:

That seems like the pretty standard response. They're kinda nothing. And towards the end they entirely stopped bothering making them coherent if you hadn't read the books.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

there wolf posted:

That way lies fanfiction.

Actually I was talking to a friend about what makes good fodder for fanworks, and Harry Potter and Star Trek were my titular examples.They both have good world-building and characters paired with a middling story and I think that's what draws people in the most when it comes to making their own versions of something.

It’s the simple equation of the work having more rules than moments. I made it through 4 HP books and without the movies I could have probably named 3 or 4 memorable moments per book if pressed, but I could rattle off the rules of Quidditch or different magic items with ease. It makes the books seem like glorified Zelda dungeons in retrospect, because it was always “here’s a new magic toy I never mentioned before...it’ll be used once again in the finale and then dropped entirely for the rest of the series”.

dirksteadfast has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Apr 26, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My partner pointed out that the huge gaps in the release schedule (especially before Order of the Phoenix) meant a lot of people turned to fan-fiction to fill their desire for more HP content.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Large gaps in releases at the height of fanbase interest, and especially when most of them are in the throes of their teens, have a tendency to make fanbases get seriously overproductive in fanfiction and just generally go a little bit nuts. See also Homestuck.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Large gaps in releases at the height of fanbase interest, and especially when most of them are in the throes of their teens, have a tendency to make fanbases get seriously overproductive in fanfiction and just generally go a little bit nuts. See also Homestuck.

In one memorable case, this resulted in eight seasons' worth of high-budget televised fanfiction.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

dirksteadfast posted:

It’s the simple equation of the work having more rules and moments. I made it through 4 HP books and without the movies I could have probably named 3 or 4 memorable moments per book if pressed, but I could rattle off the rules of Quidditch or different magic items with ease. It makes the books seem like glorified Zelda dungeons in retrospect, because it was always “here’s a new magic toy I never mentioned before...it’ll be used once again in the finale and then dropped entirely for the rest of the series”.

Well put. That's exactly what I meant by deep world building. Lord of the Rings and Star Wars also come to mind, because the sheer level of addenda to both give people so much to build on.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Anything where there's a lot of structure is really conducive to fanfic. There's a reason why Star Trek was the one that got loads and loads of fanfic while Star Wars never quite took off in the same way. The entire world of Star Trek is basically set up to have adventure hooks, so it's trivial to make your own, to shuffle the characters around, and so on. With Star Wars, there's a lot more work involved in explaining what's going on if you want to see Leia fighting an ice monster on a lava planet.

I think that's partly why you see so much fanfic of book series and television shows compared to movies. Outside of like, Marvel movies (which are part-comic book anyway, as hard as they try to distance themselves from that) most of the big fanwork-heavy media properties are episodic or serial in nature.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the weird phenomenon where despite having reams and reams of licensed tie-in books and comics, Star Wars 'Expanded Universe' material is almost always either the core Star Wars characters or blatant knockoffs of them doing stuff that's not quite the events of the films but obviously going through the motions. Also if a character from species/planet X is seen or mentioned doing a thing in the movies, then obviously that thing is the core aspect of their culture which their entire world revolves around, so the Bothans are the espionage planet and Corellions are the gutsy rogue planet and so on.

Oddly enough, apparently Star Trek novels do the opposite and assume any character must be a bold iconoclast doing something their culture looks down upon.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's all terrible. Which is appropriate, given what thread we're in.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Groke posted:

In one memorable case, this resulted in eight seasons' worth of high-budget televised fanfiction.

...that being?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dabir posted:

...that being?

Game of Thrones.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oh yeah right that

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
After the initial set of books a lot of the early Star Wars EU stuff was made by West End Games for people to run pen-and-paper RPGs with.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the weird phenomenon where despite having reams and reams of licensed tie-in books and comics, Star Wars 'Expanded Universe' material is almost always either the core Star Wars characters or blatant knockoffs of them doing stuff that's not quite the events of the films but obviously going through the motions. Also if a character from species/planet X is seen or mentioned doing a thing in the movies, then obviously that thing is the core aspect of their culture which their entire world revolves around, so the Bothans are the espionage planet and Corellions are the gutsy rogue planet and so on.

Oddly enough, apparently Star Trek novels do the opposite and assume any character must be a bold iconoclast doing something their culture looks down upon.

To be fair the Star Trek: TNG show does that too. The only main Borg characters are weirdos who disconnected from the collective, the main Klingon crew members are a naive True Believer who is often too blinded by his culture to see how garbage the other Klingons are at following it and his son is destined to be the only Klingon Politician who will try to unite the houses. There is a lot of "This Planet Wears this Hat but This Particular Character Doesn't Care To"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair the Star Trek: TNG show does that too. The only main Borg characters are weirdos who disconnected from the collective, the main Klingon crew members are a naive True Believer who is often too blinded by his culture to see how garbage the other Klingons are at following it and his son is destined to be the only Klingon Politician who will try to unite the houses. There is a lot of "This Planet Wears this Hat but This Particular Character Doesn't Care To"

I mean yeah, the Star Trek tie-ins at least have significant precedent for that, given almost every representative of a non-Federation alien culture is shown as being the exception rather than the rule. (Worf, Q, Hugh, Rom and Nog, Odo, Seven, etc) Though as said, Star Trek is explicitly written as a big universe with lots of things going on and lots of stuff you can explore.

Star Trek also does a lot more crossovers, mostly in comics. There was a TAS/Transformers one recently.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dabir posted:

oh yeah right that

All of it except for the first season coming out during the interval (allegedly) between two books.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The problem with sex scenes is that everyone responds to them in different ways. Everyone has different thresholds of what they feel is "not enough" or "too much" information. Add to that everyone has different turnons and turnoffs; one person's sexy scene is another's farce. So when authors write sex scenes, we get an uncomfortably intimate look at a total stranger's sexual desires (and possibly kinks).

You can have a whole sexy world existing with a couple well-timed fades to black. Don't need a blow-by-blow description.

I'll stick with erotica, where the kinks are all up front. And the sex scenes are better written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
But what if I intend my sex scene to be farce, huh? :smuggo: