Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah it's bonkers and it feels like a weird choice to use them that way rather than a complete custom accessory (although that'd probably screw up the price and demand even more). I feel kinda bad that I have a copy that's sitting idle because I don't want to risk the controllers right now, but I also don't completely want to pawn it off right now.

Yeah, I’m selling my switch this week and I almost feel guilty for selling those controllers used since they have a finite lifespan and the warranties aren’t usable right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Riatsala posted:

I have two attacks of the same tier that do about the same damage, one is doing 22 overhead wide squats, the other is doing jazz hands for ~30 seconds. There's a stark loving difference in respective difficulty of these two sets, Nintendo!
That's actually pretty neat because with skill cooldowns you'll naturally plan your set to alternate between those two skills and boom, you're doing intervals. If damage scaled linearly with difficulty, you'd just chuck those breather exercises away and they're important

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Neopie posted:

I paid 280 dollars for mine because of these quarantine times :negative:

Carrefour has the switch at 300 euros and ring fit for 80 so I think you're doing alright :negative:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I have had my joycons for 2 years and have had no problems with them. I think maybe this is karmic rebalance for my 360 red ringing 5 times. Or I just jynxed myself.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

I have had my joycons for 2 years and have had no problems with them. I think maybe this is karmic rebalance for my 360 red ringing 5 times. Or I just jynxed myself.

The joycon sticks will be the first thing to break with normal use every time. There’s a metal part rubbing on graphite. The harder material/softer material interface on a moving part is what killed N64 sticks too.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

ilmucche posted:

Carrefour has the switch at 300 euros and ring fit for 80 so I think you're doing alright :negative:

Aah, I didn't have to get the switch, already had one that'd just been collecting dust.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I suspect people who dont have joycon problems are probably just not playing using joycons that much, I have my orginal pair that sometimes has light drift, and a newer one with no problems, but i almost always play with the pro controller so i never really use them.

Also i have not had any issues with the joycons being used with ring fit, i think the only thing that worries me is the pressure on the stick in the leg strap, the ring itself doesn't really have you touch the joycon much at all and it feels very safe in there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zoig posted:

I suspect people who dont have joycon problems are probably just not playing using joycons that much, I have my orginal pair that sometimes has light drift, and a newer one with no problems, but i almost always play with the pro controller so i never really use them.

Also i have not had any issues with the joycons being used with ring fit, i think the only thing that worries me is the pressure on the stick in the leg strap, the ring itself doesn't really have you touch the joycon much at all and it feels very safe in there.

Yeah, the leg strap is the part that worries me. Honestly I barely even touched the joycons outside of Ring Fit and (now) Animal Crossing, using them day-to-day for the latter made me realize just how fragile the sticks feel. More than likely it's not a big deal, it's just one of the many tiny adjustments I've made to normal routine when stuff like "replacing a vidyagame controller" potentially become more than a trivial note on the shopping list.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I started playing through the Bioshock collection and boy am I tired of Pipe Dream already. Am I right in remembering that the sequels add some new hacking games or is that wishful thinking?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

I started playing through the Bioshock collection and boy am I tired of Pipe Dream already. Am I right in remembering that the sequels add some new hacking games or is that wishful thinking?

Bioshock 2 does a thing where you're hitting a button to get a line in the correct spot for hacking.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zoig posted:

So would you recommend getting a Pro Controller? I bought a Switch in December last year (Lucky me that I got one before they all vanished off the market these days) and my dumb rear end bought the charging controller for the Joy Cons rather than getting a Pro controller. I like the PS4 controller, I can't go back to wired ones again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

So would you recommend getting a Pro Controller? I bought a Switch in December last year (Lucky me that I got one before they all vanished off the market these days) and my dumb rear end bought the charging controller for the Joy Cons rather than getting a Pro controller. I like the PS4 controller, I can't go back to wired ones again.

Switch Pro controller is the best controller I've ever used. Slight button updates that improve on the Xbox design (which already beat out the PS controller, imo), and battery life that goes on for ages.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Apr 27, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the battery life for the pro controller is indeed amazing!

according to Nintendo, it gets 40 hours:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22498/~/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-faq#s1q4

I can't confirm that, but anecdotally I've had it last through at least 20 hours of Fire Emblem. It's honestly embarassing for the DualShock4, which lasts about 20 minutes on a good day.

Plus, it's just a really good controller. I haven't tried any of the third party ones but I've never felt the need. I just wish it came in more colors.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All the squad members in XCOM Chimera Squad have names and tragic backstories that sound like Gears of War characters but talk like 30 year-old office workers that post Reddit memes in the company Slack and meticulously update and reorganize their desk decorations every month when the new LootCrate comes in. It's like the worst parts of late-stage Bioware shipping pandering and Rage 2's wacky yaaas queening quip lords, giving your characters Burger King Kids Club diversity but having them all talk in the same quirky nonthreatening #relatable way.

e. AXIOM is a a member of an alien invasion who spent 20 years subjugating humans on an occupied earth after participating in the initial invasion and being forcibly mutated to make him a better soldier. You basically have the XCOM equivalent of a Nazi collaborator on your team and he's introduced beating an alien to death with its own leg, but his banter is

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Apr 27, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm finally getting around to playing Kingmaker and I'm super late to this, but holy poo poo there's a few things that really stick in my craw. So, in the tabletop flanking works as you might expect; if you've got two peeps on either side of your opponent you get a bonus to your attack rolls and stuff, sounds good. In kingmaker though? gently caress that, if two people attack one target they get flanking. And also they get to make sneak attacks regardless of whatever else is going on. Punch a man in the face? Too bad, you're getting two sneak attack crits in return, have fun dying instantly forever.

I have no problem with the game being designed in a way that you're expected to know the tabletop and its classes to be able to excel; but then they go and change fundamental systems of the tabletop to make it absolute batshit. Combine the above sneak attack stuff with the fact that basically every enemy for the early part of the game is a dagger wielding rogue and you've got a problem where the most basic enemies in the game are harder than the bosses because they come at you in teams of two, crit obscenely and get perpetual sneak attacks and flanking bonuses.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Switch Pro controller is the best controller I've ever used. Slight button updates that improve on the Xbox design (which already beat out the PS controller, imo), and battery life that goes on for ages.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the battery life for the pro controller is indeed amazing!

according to Nintendo, it gets 40 hours:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22498/~/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-faq#s1q4

I can't confirm that, but anecdotally I've had it last through at least 20 hours of Fire Emblem. It's honestly embarassing for the DualShock4, which lasts about 20 minutes on a good day.

Plus, it's just a really good controller. I haven't tried any of the third party ones but I've never felt the need. I just wish it came in more colors.

poo poo, I bought the wrong thing then. I guess I'll get a Wireless Pro then. I'm also playing Fire Emblem now and having the cursor constantly scroll up as I'm trying to pick units is grinding on my nerves already.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The problem I have with the switch pro controller is that it feels too light, like it's almost hollow for the size it is, so sometimes if trying to do something hard like later challenges in Aggelos, it feels like I'm gripping it too hard and that it's on the verge of breaking.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ruffian Price posted:

Jesus Christ, Rockstar is really trying to make moral choices in RDR2 based purely on esoteric interface skill checks. Not only is "start asking if they need help" mapped to the same button as "aim at head" (and plenty of people complained about that already), "stop the horse to listen to the stranger" becomes "decline help and lock yourself out of this story chain with an instant autosave" if you don't let go of the left trigger fast enough. It's as if the Housers watched some GDC talks about making the evil path the easier one mechanically and weren't sure what that meant

Everything i've heard about RDR2 makes it sound terminally poo poo. What the gently caress is wrong with Rockstar?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Everything i've heard about RDR2 makes it sound terminally poo poo. What the gently caress is wrong with Rockstar?

GTA Online prints money to this day, almost a decade after launch, and they feel absolutely no need to gently caress with the golden goose.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

All the squad members in XCOM Chimera Squad have names and tragic backstories that sound like Gears of War characters but talk like 30 year-old office workers that post Reddit memes in the company Slack and meticulously update and reorganize their desk decorations every month when the new LootCrate comes in. It's like the worst parts of late-stage Bioware shipping pandering and Rage 2's wacky yaaas queening quip lords, giving your characters Burger King Kids Club diversity but having them all talk in the same quirky nonthreatening #relatable way.

e. AXIOM is a a member of an alien invasion who spent 20 years subjugating humans on an occupied earth after participating in the initial invasion and being forcibly mutated to make him a better soldier. You basically have the XCOM equivalent of a Nazi collaborator on your team and he's introduced beating an alien to death with its own leg, but his banter is

IIRC in mutons the females are larger than the males and take a lot of the combat roles.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Weren't basically all the aliens on the ground mind controlled by other aliens? I wouldn't really call that collaboration.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think all the X-Com aliens were "genetically" female, though not capable of reproduction. (Yes, even the Thin Men)

Maybe that changed in X-Com 2 and onwards with better gene manipulation technologies.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can't afford a Switch Pro Controller but I got the Hori Pad equivalent ( https://hori.co.uk/horipad-for-nintendo-switch/ ) it's insanely cheap and it's a really great controller. Only downside is that it's wired and has that slight cheap plastic smell which reminds me of being the least popular person in my primary school friend group

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Weren't basically all the aliens on the ground mind controlled by other aliens? I wouldn't really call that collaboration.

Either mind controlled or just good, old-fashioned enslavement.

I think the only ones that generally speaking don't have that going on in the new continuity (no idea about the old) outside of the leaders themselves are Enemy Unknown's Outsiders, 2's Codexes (both cases, in-some-way-artificial life) and the Cryssalids (probably not intelligent enough to have the dilemma in the first place).

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The snake lady happily muses about how tasty barbecued human is, and talks about how good they had it in ADVENT, so as at least some of the alien grunts were totally on board being evil.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The vipers were specifically made less human in XCOM 2 (originally they'd been used to make Thin Men), but that character in particular has the peculiar human quirk of hating other aliens because "I was born here, therefore I'm by definition not an alien, QED now back on your boat, space-born scum."

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

So I'm finally getting around to playing Kingmaker and I'm super late to this, but holy poo poo there's a few things that really stick in my craw. So, in the tabletop flanking works as you might expect; if you've got two peeps on either side of your opponent you get a bonus to your attack rolls and stuff, sounds good. In kingmaker though? gently caress that, if two people attack one target they get flanking. And also they get to make sneak attacks regardless of whatever else is going on. Punch a man in the face? Too bad, you're getting two sneak attack crits in return, have fun dying instantly forever.

I have no problem with the game being designed in a way that you're expected to know the tabletop and its classes to be able to excel; but then they go and change fundamental systems of the tabletop to make it absolute batshit. Combine the above sneak attack stuff with the fact that basically every enemy for the early part of the game is a dagger wielding rogue and you've got a problem where the most basic enemies in the game are harder than the bosses because they come at you in teams of two, crit obscenely and get perpetual sneak attacks and flanking bonuses.

The combo of "expecting tabletop rules knowledge" and "real time with pause" sounds godawful, especially since everything I've heard is that the game isnt really expecting rules mastery as much as full powergame munchkin-ery

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Even the developers recommend the turn based mod and have integrated it into the sequel lol. I avoided the game due to rtwp and figured the turn based mod would be really... Hacky? But apparently it works really well because the game is so faithful to the rules that it was easy to implement.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The problem I have with the switch pro controller is that it feels too light, like it's almost hollow for the size it is, so sometimes if trying to do something hard like later challenges in Aggelos, it feels like I'm gripping it too hard and that it's on the verge of breaking.

Are we using the same one? Because the other thing I've constantly liked about it is that it has a really solid heft to it. The Xbone is where I'd give that criticism, its controller is the same size but feels cheaper and way lighter without any internal battery.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The combo of "expecting tabletop rules knowledge" and "real time with pause" sounds godawful, especially since everything I've heard is that the game isnt really expecting rules mastery as much as full powergame munchkin-ery

I don't even know what I'm doing anymore because after giving up on my first character (a caster who, after getting out of the sneak attack hellpit was forever murdered by spiders that stacked strength damage to murder you as part of a tutorial zone about side quests) I made a monk and I've just been multi-classing to get anything that looks and sounds cool :shepface: I've decided to get every dragon related bloodline class the game will let me. my dude is a triple dragon and he's murdering so many spiders. So, so many spiders.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Even the developers recommend the turn based mod and have integrated it into the sequel lol. I avoided the game due to rtwp and figured the turn based mod would be really... Hacky? But apparently it works really well because the game is so faithful to the rules that it was easy to implement.

Yeah it not having innate turnbased really kind of just shoots its self in the foot because a lot of skills and classes just straight up don't work without it. Like Witch, for example, there's a really cool mod that adds the Witch class into the game! Except Hexes just fundamentally don't work when you play out rounds in real time so you cast a hex on a dude and between not being able to see his status effects (so you can't see if he's actually afflicted by anything) and the utterly ambiguous nature of how long a 'round' is, they're pretty worthless.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Throwing in my praise for the Pro Controller. As much as I miss precise aiming with the joycons, they're purely Ring Fit controllers now. I even pack the ProC for train rides, it's fantastic with a third-party kickstand. So get it even if you play mostly in handheld mode.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
This is why I'm so glad to see BG3 being turn based. RTWP only made sense for the original Baldurs Gate game because in 2e rules, low level melee characters would literally just be doing the exact same thing every single round with a high chance of failure. Doing that turn-based would've been super boring. I figure they kept it for BG2 and IWD 1/2 cause thats just how the engine worked, but theres no reason for PoE, kingmaker, or any other game to have kept that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are we using the same one? Because the other thing I've constantly liked about it is that it has a really solid heft to it. The Xbone is where I'd give that criticism, its controller is the same size but feels cheaper and way lighter without any internal battery.

I think I actually got the cheaper Power A controller because I'd already spent enough on the switch itself and the controllers were way too expensive. Just double checked it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I think I actually got the cheaper Power A controller because I'd already spent enough on the switch itself and the controllers were way too expensive. Just double checked it.

Makes sense. I did have an off-brand one that felt a lot worse. The first-party ones are pricey as gently caress, but at least you're getting some solid build quality.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

VanSandman posted:

GTA Online prints money to this day, almost a decade after launch, and they feel absolutely no need to gently caress with the golden goose.

Oh i know that,but they used to make at least relatively fun games.
It’s like they made a decision in the past few years to make their games tedious and unplayable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Patrick Spens posted:

The snake lady happily muses about how tasty barbecued human is, and talks about how good they had it in ADVENT, so as at least some of the alien grunts were totally on board being evil.

And then in the actual game proper she has the voice of a totally normal 20 year-old woman and talks about depression.

Trying to do an XCOM about humans and aliens coexisting in the aftermath of the second game isn't a bad idea but doing it with the Stephen Universe thing of all the bad guys actually being depressed teenagers who just need hugs and to be told that they're valid to become good guys absolutely is not the way to do it. Especially in a game that's explicitly and uncritically about an unaccountable paramilitary of cops operating outside of the law to suppress a citizen uprising, a clone of a war criminal reducing a warehouse full of perps into a fine red mist while your alien soldier uses biological weapons to fatally poison the fleeing survivors in between shared quips and banter feels like an unironic version of that old joke about hiring more female drone operators.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sleeping Dogs: I'll give the campaign praise for actually working as a story since it has a beginning, middle and end with actual stakes unlike GTA V. I even felt bad about one of the many deaths near the end Jackie :(
. However since the combat can happen anywhere unlike the curated spaces in an Arkham game it never rises above average. The gunplay is bland, all the sidequests are predictable box-ticking, and money is strictly cosmetic. The gameplay-loop feels pretty bog-standard and its weirdly easy to max out your cop rank by the mid-point despite Wei's habit of vehicular-manslaughter.

Dying Light: Still one of the best games ever, more so than the Witcher 3 if you only judge the bits without talking. However new players may be put off because as soon as they begin they are immediately swarmed by an infinite number of asthmatic parkour zombies that will kill them dead. This is because there's a new community challenge that you're automatically logged in to. You have to search the options to turn off the online stuff if you want the intended experience. It's sort like starting Morrowind and getting ganked by that DLC assassin.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sleeping Dogs: its weirdly easy to max out your cop rank by the mid-point despite Wei's habit of vehicular-manslaughter.

That was deliberate, you’re meant to max it out by the point that Wei starts getting in too deep. It removes the incentive for the player to do things by the book or give a poo poo about property damage.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Asura's Wrath was a chill fun time about ridiculous setpieces and people yelling at each other... right up until I read that to unlock the real ending you have to S rank 5 levels. I have no S ranks and can't be bothered to replay any levels. What a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hollow Knight had an entire ending locked behind a 53-stage boss-rush with no checkpoints. It sort of killed my appreciation for the game if all future projects by the devs focus on extreme difficulty over the metroidvania aspect that hooked people in the first place.