Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm surprised at the TTS instead of another heat sink so you can be mostly heat neutral while jumping too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Stravag posted:

Something something heat exchangers something something sub optimal something something something tonnage better used in heat sinks because medium lasers are the best weapon ever something something

It's probably more tonnage efficient, but space requirements start to rear their heads with that many DHS.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm surprised at the TTS instead of another heat sink so you can be mostly heat neutral while jumping too.

If there are any enemies left to shoot at after 12 solid rounds of jumping alpha strikes I'm doing it wrong and deserve to overheat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Those seconds DHSs being in the arms instead of the torsos make me extremely uncomfortable.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I just had the AI pull off a legit ambush. I was running a mixed lance on a 4 skull highlands battle contract. Main objective opfor is in a forest in a valley below a ridgeline running south to northeast. I have a gauss sniper set up on the southern ridge and the rest of the lance approaching a clearing between my woods and their woods.

My Marauder/Warhammer/Griffin break cover to cross the field and put fire on the braced dragon/quickdraw/thunderbolt/Orion when the Warhammer is knocked on it's rear end by missile and autocannon fire from the Eastern ridge. Marauder headshots the Orion, and the Griffin/Sniper being down the Thunderbolt but not before they core out the prone Warhammer.

That leaves the Maurader dancing with the dragon and quickdraw while getting rained on while the Griffin starts jumping for the ridgeline where he finds a Jaeger, Catapult and two Archers blasting away.

I fought my way out, mostly because they couldn't see my sniper, but it was the best random set up I've seen yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A lot of the game's maps are set up to put you in a crossfire like that. Most of the time it's not noticeable against light lances were the biggest missile boat you'll encounter are Locust -1Ms and the LRM-15 Javelin, but at higher skull levels when the game spawns a fire support lance you'll start getting some really nasty missile boats in those crossfire spawns.

If you head straight for the objective the spawns are usually set up to give you about 1-2 turns of combat with the defenders before the reinforcements show up, but this can get problematic against opponents that can do lots of damage from long range.

If you sweep in from the side instead of heading right towards the objective it usually gives you more time to react to a reinforcements spawn or makes sure they spawn in front of you rather than behind or beside you.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

A lot of the game's maps are set up to put you in a crossfire like that. Most of the time it's not noticeable against light lances were the biggest missile boat you'll encounter are Locust -1Ms and the LRM-15 Javelin, but at higher skull levels when the game spawns a fire support lance you'll start getting some really nasty missile boats in those crossfire spawns.

If you head straight for the objective the spawns are usually set up to give you about 1-2 turns of combat with the defenders before the reinforcements show up, but this can get problematic against opponents that can do lots of damage from long range.

If you sweep in from the side instead of heading right towards the objective it usually gives you more time to react to a reinforcements spawn or makes sure they spawn in front of you rather than behind or beside you.

Yep, one of the first things I figured out in this game was I instantly head to the side on almost every map until I hit the border and then sweep around the edge, I end up being able to engage enemies 1 group at a time that way instead of getting jumped from multiple sides by multiple lances.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

In retrospect, falling into trap made the map way more memorable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PoptartsNinja posted:

And if you play long enough that you start being able to guess where the reinforcement lance is before the pip gets drawn on the map, you can go kill them *first* and leave the objective lance for later.

This makes missions into cakewalks because the reinforcement lances are often support or cavalry types, while the main lance is usually a standard battle type. A reinforcement lance with multiple LRM boats doesn't do so hot when you run up and brawl them. Most of the time you can polish those off faster than the tanky battle ones, which turns a 8 on 4 battle into two fairly easy 4 on 4s.

(OTOH it's a big waste of time on any map where the reinforcement lance isn't on the field at the start)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

And if you play long enough that you start being able to guess where the reinforcement lance is before the pip gets drawn on the map

The lunar battle map (you know the one, it's the only one) is the best for this. The reinforcements will always be chilling in the lower left corner.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Klyith posted:

Ooh, are you using my SLDF mod or a different one? I haven't yet seen an Atlas II using my own mod and was about to ask if anyone else using it had.

Update on SLDF incoming: I ran into an SLDF Crab and it wasn't salvageable. I ended up going through game data and found it still had the blacklisted tag.

Unrelated but I made my own mod to let me salvage lostech and for some reason I can't get it to work on DHS. I've seen ER and pulse lasers as salvage but never DHS. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LtSmash posted:

Update on SLDF incoming: I ran into an SLDF Crab and it wasn't salvageable. I ended up going through game data and found it still had the blacklisted tag.

Crap. Uh, which gamedata were you looking at? The DB cache or something inside the game itself? It appears to be correct in the DB cache for me:

(Using HBS mod manager)

But I admit I don't know the debug tools at all, so if there's a way to see tags inside the game I will kick myself for not knowing something important.

quote:

Unrelated but I made my own mod to let me salvage lostech and for some reason I can't get it to work on DHS. I've seen ER and pulse lasers as salvage but never DHS. Any ideas what I did wrong?

No, can't help much there. I'm pretty sure you need to mod game code to change what will show up in salvage in the non-weapon item categories. Guns & mech parts always work, but most other items I've fiddled around with adding new variants of don't show up. I have to add them to stores.

But in 1.8 the mods I was using were adding the built-in equipment for HM mechs so that would likely also have done double heatsinks. Not sure which one was doing it, either customsalvage or the one that added items from shot-off arms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In my continuing tale of flashpoint rewards, I got one that has Lostech as the reward.

I got gauss ammo.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Grand Fromage posted:

In my continuing tale of flashpoint rewards, I got one that has Lostech as the reward.

I got gauss ammo.

Flashpoints worthwhile rewards You can still get bad rewards if you are unlucky but they aren't totally garbage.

Klyith posted:

Crap. Uh, which gamedata were you looking at? The DB cache or something inside the game itself? It appears to be correct in the DB cache for me:

(Using HBS mod manager)

But I admit I don't know the debug tools at all, so if there's a way to see tags inside the game I will kick myself for not knowing something important.

I'll look testing without other mods and see if I can narrow it down.

I was peeping at the in game variables with DNSpy. Its not exactly easy but it mostly gets the job done. Its a debugger for C# that doesn't rely on having the source code to have somewhat readable results. Since I had a save in a mission with the crab I could set a breakpoint in the salvage function and look through the local variables for the list of dead mechs and found their tags. I can try walk you through it but if you don't have any experience programing its probably going to be a bear.

edit: I disabled all other mods and its still blacklisted. To make matters weirder it doesn't have the tag in my modtek db cache when I looked there.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 26, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LtSmash posted:

Flashpoints worthwhile rewards You can still get bad rewards if you are unlucky but they aren't totally garbage.

It's fine, I'm loving loaded at this point and it's more enjoyable to see what utter garbage they give me. Maybe next career.

Can anyone explain in exacting for idiots detail how I mod the game to be able to take higher skull missions for fixing my reputation? I'm trying to cycle all the alliance flashpoints. If there's just a cheat to alter them that'd be fine too, save me some grinding.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Picked up the Battletech Extended: Commander edition and I'm loving it so far. Had to adjust the included mods a bit to hit that stability sweet spot. I'm really appreciating the firestarter. PTN was going on about them in an LP thread, and now that back at the beginning I've had to scrimp and save and run on just lights (and a Phoenix Hawk) the punchy death that is the firestarter is extremely notable.

It's interesting, that the mod opens up the whole inner sphere for a map, but when it comes down to it the Aurigan reach is still the best place to hang out. 6 factions right in the neighborhood to play with, plus I think flashpoints only spawn down there anyway.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It's fine, I'm loving loaded at this point and it's more enjoyable to see what utter garbage they give me. Maybe next career.

Can anyone explain in exacting for idiots detail how I mod the game to be able to take higher skull missions for fixing my reputation? I'm trying to cycle all the alliance flashpoints. If there's just a cheat to alter them that'd be fine too, save me some grinding.

Use a save editor imo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LtSmash posted:

I was peeping at the in game variables with DNSpy. Its not exactly easy but it mostly gets the job done. Its a debugger for C# that doesn't rely on having the source code to have somewhat readable results. Since I had a save in a mission with the crab I could set a breakpoint in the salvage function and look through the local variables for the list of dead mechs and found their tags. I can try walk you through it but if you don't have any experience programing its probably going to be a bear.

edit: I disabled all other mods and its still blacklisted. To make matters weirder it doesn't have the tag in my modtek db cache when I looked there.

gently caress, that's what I was afraid of.

I have some amateur code experience -- some C, some python, but mostly these days I write elaborate autohotkey scripts. I can mostly follow what various mods are doing from their github repos if I want to figure out how a poorly-documented setting works. But I haven't ever wanted to set up a C# environment to write my own dll mod or stuff like that. That's way more of a time sink than I want to commit versus an easy wham-bam json mod. So debugging my own stuff I just see if it works in game / check the db gets updated correctly. Anyways I can easily trust your results.

But I don't know what I can do about it, because I think the problem is going to be the modloader not having complete authority over the DLC content. If the blacklist tag is correctly removed in one context (the mechs spawn in missions) but still present in another (the salvage screen), that's a problem in the modloader itself and way over my head.

I suppose I could create duplicate SLDF mechs rather than trying to overwrite the in-game ones. But then it's not the same mech as a part you might get from a blackmarket store.

BTW which modloader are you using, HBS or Modtek? I've been using HBS in 1.9 because I was having trouble getting modtek 0.7.7.2 to interact with other DLC stuff before I ever started the SLDF mod. In 1.8 modtek was way more successful at that -- I was using advanced json merges on DLC files and it worked. In 1.9 I switched over to HBS, but obviously that isn't 100% either.

Grand Fromage posted:

SimGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json, scroll to the very end, these lines:
code:
"LoathedMaxContractDifficulty" : 1,
"HatedMaxContractDifficulty" : 2,
"DislikedMaxContractDifficulty" : 3,
"IndifferentMaxContractDifficulty" : 6,
"LikedMaxContractDifficulty" : 8,
"FriendlyMaxContractDifficulty" : 9,
"HonoredMaxContractDifficulty" : 10,
If you change the 1, 2, and 3 to 5s, you can run 2.5 skull difficulty missions even if they hate you. If you set everything to 10, you can can run any mission at any reputation.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
is it possible to “recover” an Ironman save? I just lost the campaign because of a misclick. in that one story mission, a transport made it to the star port causing an instant game over. i had an opportunity to stop it, but ended up accidentally issuing a move command instead of attacking. i was like 20 hours into the campaign too :shepicide:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol, this mod's great, a SLDF Phoenix Hawk showed up to ruin my day on Joint Venture 2. His friends were just randos though.

e: It and a Jenner are somehow soloing two heavies and two mediums send help

Why won't this Jenner die it's eaten three melees and four alpha strikes

Well after it blew every weapon off my Thunderbolts I cored it. It's not available to salvage but that's fine. It's fun to actually fight them!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 27, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just imagine they're all ROM units and are set to blow up if they fall.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Necronormiecon posted:

is it possible to “recover” an Ironman save? I just lost the campaign because of a misclick. in that one story mission, a transport made it to the star port causing an instant game over. i had an opportunity to stop it, but ended up accidentally issuing a move command instead of attacking. i was like 20 hours into the campaign too :shepicide:

If that happens in the future, if you alt-tab out and cancel the process in Windows Task Manager, then when you re-load the game it should load up right before you started that mission, even on Iron Man mode. I don't know of a way to fix it if you let the mission complete though, sorry.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Taerkar posted:

Just imagine they're all ROM units and are set to blow up if they fall.

But only after twenty-four hours if you don't own an original copy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Even if it is suboptimal, the animation of 4 gauss rounds thumping home in succession is so satisfying.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Even if it is suboptimal, the animation of 4 gauss rounds thumping home in succession is so satisfying.
firing four LRM-20s into a half-dead Locust

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey, I got a SLDF Black Knight from a flashpoint. Not a single Locust part. Amazing!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey, I got a SLDF Black Knight from a flashpoint. Not a single Locust part. Amazing!

I got three locust parts and an AC2 from the first FP I completed this campaign, but jokes on them because I'm a store away from owning an Annihilator anyway

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Just as an fyi if you save editor yourself either bullshark before you've done the fp it fucks things up, atleast it did for me. Dunno if it's something to do with making it available in the career or what but it did bad things to my save. Had to just start a new because i could've get mechs to assemble anymore

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

firing four LRM-20s into a half-dead Locust

I have no idea what you're talking about.

That locust had it coming!

Trying out the new Roguetech release and it's absolutely crazy now, they have literally everything. I am over 100 days in and still haven't managed to build a new mech beccause every battle I run into so many different mechs and so rarely see the same one twice. I found a Steiner planet that has pretty much only solo and duo duels and have been farming that place for money and rep, solo battles are fun and it's a great feeling managing to beat a super-tuned 75 tonner with my little (also super tuned) 40 tonner.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Of all the weapons I've ever seen, of everything I've ever had, I think my favorite is still and will always be SRM6++(+)s. There is something unbelievably satisfying about pumping dozens of SRMs into an assault and knocking it flat on its rear end.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Well that mission turned out differently than I expected.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Wait, what? That's a thing???

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I need details and I need them right the hell now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

deathbagel posted:

That locust had it coming!

Trying out the new Roguetech release and it's absolutely crazy now, they have literally everything. I am over 100 days in and still haven't managed to build a new mech beccause every battle I run into so many different mechs and so rarely see the same one twice. I found a Steiner planet that has pretty much only solo and duo duels and have been farming that place for money and rep, solo battles are fun and it's a great feeling managing to beat a super-tuned 75 tonner with my little (also super tuned) 40 tonner.

IDK about roguetech but I'd be shocked if they aren't using one of the multi-mech assembly mods. I think every mod that goes nuts with all cannon variants lets you do something along the lines of "OK if you have 3 pieces of a Hunchback 4SP and one piece of a -4G, you can use the piece of the 4G to finish off and build the 4SP."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

I need details and I need them right the hell now.

I blind downloaded a mod flashpoint called "It Came from The Rim" which involved helping dude smuggle a LostTech ECM suite off a planet which drew the attention of a criminal syndicate called the "the eye." A couple days later I got an event popup that homeboy sold me out gave me an option to interrogate him in the Zero-G pool. He wouldn't talk so I spaced him (didn't get a choice).

So yeah, I waterboarded and murdered a dude who rode with me from the jump on the say so of a trash NPC faction.

I ain't even mad. I did NOT see this twist coming.

Edit: these mod flashpoints are some wild poo poo. I'm currently suicide charging a 4 Marauder lance on a moon map while supported by 4 firestarters.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Gwaihir posted:

IDK about roguetech but I'd be shocked if they aren't using one of the multi-mech assembly mods.

They do, but also RT is balanced around part cost rather than drop tonnage so it’s normal to be upgrading your mechs for a while without switching chassis.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

They do, but also RT is balanced around part cost rather than drop tonnage so it’s normal to be upgrading your mechs for a while without switching chassis.

I think there must be some other part to it as well, because I have 5 total pieces of Hunchbacks (3 different variants) and I can't build a Hunchback, maybe certain chassis aren't compatible. I do notice that the chassis are different colors (4 of the Hunchback pieces are a yellowish color and 1 is just the standard color, maybe I need to have 5 gold pieces or 5 regular color pieces, I think I have a purple one too?)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I blind downloaded a mod flashpoint called "It Came from The Rim" which involved helping dude smuggle a LostTech ECM suite off a planet which drew the attention of a criminal syndicate called the "the eye." A couple days later I got an event popup that homeboy sold me out gave me an option to interrogate him in the Zero-G pool. He wouldn't talk so I spaced him (didn't get a choice).

So yeah, I waterboarded and murdered a dude who rode with me from the jump on the say so of a trash NPC faction.

I ain't even mad. I did NOT see this twist coming.

Edit: these mod flashpoints are some wild poo poo. I'm currently suicide charging a 4 Marauder lance on a moon map while supported by 4 firestarters.

lmao these sound dumb as gently caress, I'm installing asap

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

deathbagel posted:

I think there must be some other part to it as well, because I have 5 total pieces of Hunchbacks (3 different variants) and I can't build a Hunchback, maybe certain chassis aren't compatible. I do notice that the chassis are different colors (4 of the Hunchback pieces are a yellowish color and 1 is just the standard color, maybe I need to have 5 gold pieces or 5 regular color pieces, I think I have a purple one too?)

https://roguetech.gamepedia.com/Guides/Mech_Bay

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I legit recommend The Periphery is a Harsh Mistress. Three mission tonnage limited campaign (but in the more fun way where you can budget a heavy 75 ton) with some legit bonkers setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Aha thanks for that!

It's weird though, it'll let me build a HBK-4SP or a 5H and I can use parts of the 1G and GI that I have, but I can't build the GI or 1G at all, even though they both say that the parts from teh 4SP and 5H are compatible. So there is still something arcane happening. Also it's not super intuitive that you can combine them, there isn't the standard popup from Yang saying he can build it, you have to go into the mech piece storage and click the button there, but yeah, at least I know I CAN do it that way, sometimes! Means I might actually get a new mech one of these days! (I don't want a HBK-4SP or HBK-5H... I'd build the Gridiron or even the G if I could though!)