Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Blindeye posted:

What about Milan, OH, pronounced My-Lan?

The US has proud traditions of loving up names and not bothering to correct people for it. My third-generation italian immigrant family stopped pronouncing their family name correctly in the 1960s.

In Providence, RI there is a Thames Street. Everybody pronounces it Thayms. I'll just leave here Worcester, MA and let the OSHA content be the bare knuckle brawl that is bound to break out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

d3lness posted:

In Providence, RI there is a Thames Street. Everybody pronounces it Thayms. I'll just leave here Worcester, MA and let the OSHA content be the bare knuckle brawl that is bound to break out.

Oh boy. New England is full of poo poo like that.
Warwick, RI: pronounced War-ick
Leominster, MA: pronounced Le-mon-ster
Billerica, MA: pronounced Bill-rick-a
Wareham, MA: pronounced Ware-um by many
Worcester, MA: pronounced incorrectly by all
Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg: pronounced Webster Lake because gently caress that

\/\/
I learned how to say it when I had to survey the lake. I still can too!

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 26, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg: pronounced Webster Lake because gently caress that

Hey man, I had to learn how to pronounce that poo poo in 4th grade and still can to this day. Also Pawtucket, RI, pronounced P'Tucket like some lovely nerd speaking Klingon. Oh, can't forget Kingstown was Kingstuhn.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sharkytm posted:

Versailles, Kentucky, gives me fits of rage every time I hear it pronounced.

(Vur-sales)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tyson Tomko posted:

Same here in Illinois with Cairo and El Dorado.

my favorite Illinois town name is San Jose

which is pronounced San Joe's

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

So talking about RI reminded me of a past job there. In the office area, there were these tiny three foot long mini hallways that lead into each restroom. One of the restrooms on the top floor has a large breaker box sticking out of the wall right next to the entrance. People would routinely put their cups of drink and bottles on top of the breaker box. They eventually put a sign on it telling people to cut the crap. Nobody ever stopped putting their drinks on it. Still hasn't been an accident to this day that I'm aware of somehow.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Come to beautiful Milan (mile-in), Ohio, birthplace of Thomas Edison

:aaaaa:

I've never thought about that one, even though I have in-laws who have a B&B there. I guess it's easy to differentiate when there's only that one and the one in Italy.

At least we aren't Pennsyltuckians who pronounce Du Bois as "do boys."

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 26, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sharkytm posted:

Aren't these the 'correct' pronunciation in the sense that that's also how (I suspect) they're pronounced back in the old country?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRCTc6stICc

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phanatic posted:

Versailles, Kentucky, gives me fits of rage every time I hear it pronounced.

(Vur-sales)

Everyone please stop this insane pronunciation derail thanks.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

It's still funny, but goddamn most of the gags make me cringe hard now.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

It's not his off color jokes that bother me, it's the holier-than-thou-art bullshit.
He literally used to pretend like he cared about the newbie that didn't know all the stupid technical euphemisms. All the "gotchas" every industry has to berate new folks. Those things you don't know until you're already in the industry.

Then. He invented his own. You literally can't watch one of his videos, excuse me Vijayoes, if you don't already know how to translate them into english. Every single video is jammed packed with a bunch of bullshit word-replacement that you literally need an AvE-to-English translator for. It's quite literally the exact thing he used to rant against.

I could give you a list of a dozen machinists, actual machinists, on youtube that don't need to make up their own language

I think the words he uses are a result of a casual stream of consciousness delivery mixed with alcohol and French Canadian-ness, earlier videos he was more formal or serious. I haven't noticed any elitism other than in reference to him not being paid by tool companies or whatever :shrug:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Guys, it's only your food that you're supposed to hang up while camping so that bears don't get into it. This is going way overboard.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

d3lness posted:

So talking about RI reminded me of a past job there. In the office area, there were these tiny three foot long mini hallways that lead into each restroom. One of the restrooms on the top floor has a large breaker box sticking out of the wall right next to the entrance. People would routinely put their cups of drink and bottles on top of the breaker box. They eventually put a sign on it telling people to cut the crap. Nobody ever stopped putting their drinks on it. Still hasn't been an accident to this day that I'm aware of somehow.

Sounds like it should be topped with that spiky stuff they put on buildings to keep pigeons away.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

sharkytm posted:

That's how you pronounce those in Old England too. And it's Wooster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6usx5vS238Y

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nvm

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Guys, it's only your food that you're supposed to hang up while camping so that bears don't get into it. This is going way overboard.

People are made out of meat.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We have offices in Lancaster MA, Lancaster NY, Lancaster PA, and Lancaster OH and every one has to be pronounced its own way.

Also Hebron (Heb-run) OH and Hebron (Heeb-ron) KY.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Oqfhey9.mp4

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
e: ope

NoWake fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 27, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hello. As a former Oklahoma resident, I'd like to ask what the gently caress this rear end in a top hat is doing outside in that weather.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hello. As a former Oklahoma resident, I'd like to ask what the gently caress this rear end in a top hat is doing outside in that weather.

Getting ready to go to Oz

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Splode posted:

Getting ready to go to Oz

drat tourists, they always forget Dorothy kept her gingham-plated rear end indoors during that twister.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Storm beers and watching the poo poo roll in is more important than staying alive

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

yea i hate it when cgi tornados roll in

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Going outside is a tornadon't.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just another day at the propanery

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Warthog posted:

I bought a multimeter based on EEV's recomendation but I loving hate his voice.

I don't get how people say they hate Dave's voice while the sidekick in Half-Life Alyx has essentially the same voice and was lauded for how great his voice was

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Nm, didn’t see the mod note

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

PathAsc posted:

Storm beers and watching the poo poo roll in is more important than staying alive

I had a buddy from Ohio move out to OK for a job with Boeing, and he said that his apartment neighbors took pity on him and invited him over to their storm watching parties, which included many beers and porch / patio chairs. He explained it as, 'they know whats coming for them and what isn't.' Sounds fun (and terrifying).

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Yeah this is a friendship ender, no way would I put up with some Jackass bullshit like this.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

Yeah this is a friendship ender, no way would I put up with some Jackass bullshit like this.

looks incredibly staged, though

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

MisterOblivious posted:

Uhhh, if AvE is is a homophobe that's a whole different conversation than I've been a part of. I was talking about his earlier stuff.
Please don't drag me in to that. I have my own problems with his modern videos.

OR: I'm possibly missing your point completely, again. Post/Username.

I grew up in an area of poorly translated French words for Native American names.

I'm from a place called La Qui Parle. We undoubtedly pronounce it wrong, in French. We have our own pronunciation in English. It's the Lutefisk Captial of the World. In the French translation of the native name it means something like "lake that speaks" which I guess means we kill a lot of geese there every year. No seriously, "Lake That Speaks" means we have a lot of geese on the lake and we want to make those loving speaking geese shut the hell up with our shotguns because gently caress GEESE."

Seriously. Goose killing is a serious business here. You literally rent land for decades in prime goose killing land if you can, and buy specialized goose killing guns, and pay extra for the permit to kill geese there, and set out goose decoys so you can kill goose easier. It's like the goon-ideal. We would do everything in our power to legally kill as many geese as legal. (never enough)

Is this because the goose takes your beautiful golden bell every day?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The goose also stole his glasses and his model plane.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

boar guy posted:

looks incredibly staged, though

Yup. I want to see the not-staged version where the three burly roommates rush the idiot with the starter, discover the following room's floor has been covered in soap, and then proceed to also beat the poo poo out of the guy with the phone because he was in on it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lobsterboy posted:

I had a buddy from Ohio move out to OK for a job with Boeing, and he said that his apartment neighbors took pity on him and invited him over to their storm watching parties, which included many beers and porch / patio chairs. He explained it as, 'they know whats coming for them and what isn't.' Sounds fun (and terrifying).

I've got a deal with the neighbors that if they're not home and a storm pops up/the sirens go off his daughter can come shelter with our family, she's really anxious about stuff like that.

I can get how it freaks people out, so trying to keep them calm ESPECIALLY if they've never been exposed to that kind of violence from weather. See also: watching people who've never been in a sandstorm lose their minds as the wall of sand approaches.

Goddamn weather is loving cool.

E: content

Coworkers slowly losing their minds during wfh and the client expecting almost triple the amount of work this last week. Not a single gently caress being given about the well being of the staff trying to keep a business running even though the requests we're getting are by far some of the most fart - huffingly bad ideas I've seen to date with this company.

I feel really bad, it's getting to me too, but at this point I don't even know what the remedy is other than everyone taking vacation and the global leaders putting a stop to the insane poo poo that's being pushed.

It's gonna suck being unemployed after this week, but at least I'll get some if my sanity back from not dealing with this client ever again. I'm worried about my friends though.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
One of the guys from Forgotten Weapons got their hands on that Spetsnaz "shoot your own leg" holster I posted a while back, it doesn't seem to offer much advantage for the added danger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19HCOO6GCI