Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

shovelbum posted:

His base is eating this up though?

edit: like his approval ratings within his own party are high 90s

ugh really?

I just meant that his base seems to be largely social distancing and quarantining, the number of protestors is pretty small. I mean, he is recommending this other than tweets to liberate, whatever the gently caress that meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i posted this in a local fb group and several anti-vaxxers have liked it, parody is fact in this age

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huggybear posted:

ugh really?

I just meant that his base seems to be largely social distancing and quarantining, the number of protestors is pretty small. I mean, he is recommending this other than tweets to liberate, whatever the gently caress that meant

Trump's approval ratings have not really moved, be it from his base or the nation in general. He actually got a temporary "increase" from the coronavirus response before they went back to normal. His numbers there are remarkably stable.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 27, 2020

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Trump's approval ratings have not moved. He actually got a temporary "increase" from the coronavirus response before they went back to normal. His numbers there are remarkably stable.

Even Trumpers that acknowledge the virus tend to just pin any problems on literally anyone else.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ah, I was unclear.

I was speaking in terms of his approval numbers period, meaning both his base and the national average. If anything they are very slowly increasing. I have clarified.

That said, I feel this is getting too into politics talk aside from the tidbit about corona actually raising those numbers temporarily.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 27, 2020

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Faffel posted:

Shooting high energy light through a fibreoptic tube stuffed down my urethra to peel away the old flesh and rejuvenate my insides, in order to revert my hypogonadism.

I'm asking for a friend but my friend would like to know if my friend's urethra would be at risk from direct UV light exposure

I think my friend wasn't expecting peeholes to be sunburnable

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Generally, almost all the world leaders have gotten large approval increases from the coronavirus. I'd assume that a leader only having a very small increase means they are doing things in a way the population thinks is really bad.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

How reliable a news source is New Tang Dynasty? Asking for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOqkAGTtzZVmKvY4SwdZ2g

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I got a sunburn on my nuts once.

The first time I went to the strippers I "won" a limo package, which I thought was a real thing and geez I'm so lucky. So a week or two later I used it, and part of it was this envelope full of coupons for poo poo. I made it my quest to use every single one.
One of them was a free haircut from a place. Turns out it was an ex-pro boxer doing the cut that was a cool conversation. The only other one I remember was severely discounted tanning salon.

I'm a half ginger pasty gently caress but I was doing it anyways. The chick at the front looked at me like I was a freak and recommended I do the minimum amount of time possible, which I think was 5 minutes in the bed.
I guess my balls had never seen the light before because that was all it took to burn the piss out of them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkBseVTUow

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The Fattest PI posted:

The first time I went to the strippers I "won" a limo package, which I thought was a real thing and geez I'm so lucky. So a week or two later I used it, and part of it was this envelope full of coupons for poo poo. I made it my quest to use every single one.
One of them was a free haircut from a place. Turns out it was an ex-pro boxer doing the cut that was a cool conversation. The only other one I remember was severely discounted tanning salon.

I'm a half ginger pasty gently caress but I was doing it anyways. The chick at the front looked at me like I was a freak and recommended I do the minimum amount of time possible, which I think was 5 minutes in the bed.
I guess my balls had never seen the light before because that was all it took to burn the piss out of them.

lol the tanning bed made you pee yourself

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

bird with big dick posted:

Please lock GBS for everyone that doesn’t have a 9” minimum penis length

https://bigdicksociety.com/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For a brief moment I thought this might be the most ill advised MENSA knockoff Id ever heard of but the actual answer was boringly mundane

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

shovelbum posted:

This came up a few pages back. They’re not. It’s completely in his imagination and no actual polls back this up.

Hazo posted:

I got curious about this 96% number so I looked it up.
He’s literally just making it up.

quote:

quote:
His new 96 percent approval? Not backed by any recent public poll. (The most recent public poll released before his April 10 tweet was from Fox News. It had Trump’s approval with Republicans at a good, but more modest, 89 percent.)

Also keep in mind that Tallgeese is a trump fan who will pick up the misinformation flag while vikingskull is probated

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Hazo posted:

This came up a few pages back. They’re not. It’s completely in his imagination and no actual polls back this up.

Also keep in mind that Tallgeese is a trump fan who will pick up the misinformation flag while vikingskull is probated

Oh phew only 89% and not 90% big diff there.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's basically academic, yes. I was drawing from:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

Where you can clearly visualize that it really doesn't move much. His stuff is just stable. And you can just slowly see the two lines converging.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 27, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

LimburgLimbo posted:

Context in case you think you’re fooling anybody:

quote:

The most recent public poll released before his April 10 tweet was from Fox News. It had Trump’s approval with Republicans at a good, but more modest, 89 percent.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'm the 11% of polled fox viewers who don't approve of trump.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Hazo posted:

Context in case you think you’re fooling anybody:

...the context is literally in the quoted post which is also the post above, why do you think I would think I'm fooling people?

The point is Trump's supports are dumb and quite literally brainwashed

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Fattest PI posted:

I had a girlfriend who fell asleep in the tanning bed once. Not that I minded rubbing lotion onto her skin multiple times a day for a week afterwards, but she was squeaking and moaning in all the wrong ways. Kinda how I feel about this whole pandemic thing, or something.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I'm the 11% of polled fox viewers who don't approve of trump.

Maybe the 11% feel like approve isn't a strong enough word, and are very serious about that?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

...the context is literally in the quoted post which is also the post above, why do you think I would think I'm fooling people?

The point is Trump's supports are dumb and quite literally brainwashed

I think Hazo meant to quote this:

shovelbum posted:

Obviously "high 90s" is not 89, or even 90

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What percentage of Fox News viewers watch it because they hate Trump and/or themselves?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I don’t give a poo poo about UV. Where’s my death numbers chat, foods stockpile chat and people being miserable with their spouses/alone kids chat?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’ve got 20 microwave burritos and my wife hasn’t killed me yet but she’s watching a lot of Crime TV.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just made banana bread.

Edit: very called out by this.
https://i.imgur.com/R6oTklal.jpg

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 27, 2020

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Inept posted:

lol the tanning bed made you pee yourself

More like made him vent pee steam

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Faffel posted:

Shooting high energy light through a fibreoptic tube stuffed down my urethra to peel away the old flesh and rejuvenate my insides, in order to revert my hypogonadism.

Long live the new flesh.

Covideodrome.

*Reaches into chest cavity and produces spray bottle of lysol*

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

What percentage of Fox News viewers watch it because they hate Trump and/or themselves?

11%

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tallgeese posted:

Huh. Interesting.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

https://aytubio.com/healight/

Did they put it up as a markering gimmick the day after The Presidents presser to pump up their stock value?

* This has not been reviewed by the FDA. This device, or concept of this device is currently not indicated for use in the treatment of COVID-19.

For inquiries regarding the Healight Platform Technology, please email COVID-19@aytubio.com.

Here's the important bit from that page:

quote:

Proof of Concept

An abstract led by the team at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center was published in the United European Gastroenterology Journal, October 2019, titled “Internally Applied Ultraviolet Light as a Novel Approach for Effective and Safe Anti-Microbial Treatment.” Here, the authors show that UVA light exhibits significant in vitro bactericidal effects in an array of clinically important bacteria. Additionally, this is the first study using intracolonic UVA application, which reports that UVA exposure is not associated with endoscopic or histologic injury. These findings suggest that UVA therapy can potentially provide a safe and effective novel approach to antimicrobial treatment via phototherapy on internal organs.

https://www.ueg.eu/education/docume...eatment/208958/

* This has not been reviewed by the FDA. This device, or concept of this device is currently not indicated for use in the treatment of COVID-19.

Just in case anyone was interested, I actually went and tracked down the abstract that the page cites: https://www.ueg.eu/education/docume...eatment/208958/

You have to create an account to access it but in case people can't be bothered I'll copy/paste it here:

quote:

Internally Applied Ultraviolet Light as A Novel Approach for Effective and Safe Anti-Microbial Treatment

Ali Rezaie (1), Gabriela Leite (1), Jaeho Park (1), Seungyoung Kim (1), Stacy Weisman (1), Gil Y. Melmed (1), Gillian Barlow (1), Walter Morales (1), Shreya Celly (1), Gonzalo Parodi (1), Siamak Sakhaie (2), Zev Melmed (1), Enrique Ybarra (1), Ruchi Mathur (1), Mark Pimentel (1)
(1) Cedars-Sinai Medical Center,Los Angeles,United States
(2) Australian Clinical Labs,Melbourne,Australia

Introduction

With emergence of microbial resistance and superbugs, there is a crucial need for safe, highly effective antimicrobial treatments with broad applicability to invasive pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Ultraviolet-C light (200-280 nm) is germicidal but associated with neoplastic transformation in humans. Ultraviolet-A (UVA, 320-400 nm) phototherapy reduces (epi)dermal inflammation without significant adverse effects but has not been evaluated in internal viscera. We aimed to assess the in-vitro bactericidal efficacy and in-vivo safety of intracolonic UVA using a novel light delivery system.

Aims & Methods

Customized optical rods (D=4mm, L=40mm) were designed to homogenously side-emit UVA. A mercury vapor lamp served as light source (Asahi Max-303), and UV bandwidth/irradiance peaks were assessed (Ocean Optics; Extech). UVA intensities used in this study were less than natural sunlight. (Table 1) In-vitro tests were performed using microbial liquid cultures of various enteric pathogens. Cultures exposed to UVA at 20-min intervals were compared to unexposed control cultures and transferred to solid medium plates for CFU counts. In-vivo testing of UVA effects on normal colon were performed using BALB/cJ mice (n=10, male=5). Under anesthesia, 5 mice underwent colonic UVA exposure (2,000 µW/cm2) for 30 minutes via an optic rod introduced anally up to the splenic flexure as compared to 5 mice treated with the same technique with an unlit optic rod. Rigid endoscopy (Olympus A37027A) was used to evaluate the mucosa before and serially after UVA exposure. Endoscopic videos were blindly interpreted by two gastroenterologists with expertise in animal model endoscopies. Full thickness microscopic assessments were performed by a blinded pathologist on Swiss-roll preparations of the whole colon.

Results

Exposure to UVA was associated with a significant reduction in concentrations of various microbes, including Clostridioides difficile and Candida albicans (Table 1). The germicidal effects increased with greater time of exposure. Proteus mirabilis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa did not reveal any growth after 20 and 40 minutes of exposure, respectively. During in-vivo tests no perforation or fatalities were seen after light exposure. No evidence of erythema, mucosal friability or bleeding was observed during endoscopies. No chronic inflammation or dysplasia was seen on examined full-thickness colonic specimens exposed to UVA.

Conclusion

UVA light exposure exhibits significant in-vitro bactericidal effects in array of clinically important bacteria, including C. difficile. UVA is also effective against C. albicans which may prevent fungal bloom following antibacterial treatment. In this first study of intracolonic UVA application, UVA exposure is not associated with endoscopic or histologic injury. UVA therapy can potentially provide an effective and safe novel antimicrobial approach to the treatment of enteric infections and inflammation. Future studies are required to assess the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects of UVA phototherapy on internal organs.

References

Financial support partly by The Kenneth Rainin Foundation

Disclosure

AR, MP and GM have intellectual property in regards to Internal UV therapy.

This item was part of the Oesophageal, Gastric and Duodenal Disorders III (Posters) session at UEG Week 2019

This item can be cited as: United European Gastroenterology Journal Volume 7 Issue 8 (Supplement), October 2019

TL;DR: they stuck some UVA light rods up some mice assholes and turned them on for 30 minutes, then shoved a camera up there and went "Welp, looks the same as before, might have some potential."

The important part is that this is just a preliminary study to see if sticking a UVA light rod up a mouse's rear end in a top hat caused any immediate visible injuries, and they'd need to do further studies to see what effect that might have on the internal organs. And if those studies were successful and the mice didn't get colon cancer or anything else (spoiler: I'm guessing they will) then they might progress to studying the in-vivo effect the UVA light rods might have on infections and inflammations (spoiler: probably wouldn't be 100% anyway) and then if that was successful they might consider starting tests on humans.

And if that's successful then this might actually be a useful treatment for SARS-CoV-2 on the internal surfaces of people's trachea or colon .... but absolutely useless anywhere else in the body.
(Note that the graphic quoted right at the top of this post shows the Healight zapping COVID-19 particles floating around in the trachea, and the light doesn't even reach as far as the lungs)

In summary:
- it doesn't cure COVID-19
- it probably gives you cancer
- scientists still have to stick things up mouse assholes for several years before they can trial this on humans
- the machine doesn't actually exist as of yet and is only imaginary

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 27, 2020

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

dammit i really chose the wrong career path

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

As universities are trying to figure out how to transition back to in person classes, or even if they’ll open campuses, I can’t wait for the collective meltdown when there’s no college football this year. Even if they do endanger their teams and allow them to play, people not being allowed to go to the stadiums will be :discourse:

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
drat it feels good to be a gamer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile, in the southern hemisphere ...

quote:

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says there is no longer any undetected community transmission of COVID-19 as the country prepares to move out of a weeks-long nationwide lockdown at midnight Monday.

The nation's director-general of health, Dr Ashley Bloomfield, said the low number of cases "does give us confidence that we have achieved our goal of elimination".

quote:

Ardern said about 400,000 people would return to their workplaces on Tuesday as the country's lockdown was dialled down to level three from level four.

The shift has only a small effect on the social lives of New Zealanders, who are still being asked to stay home and practise social distancing.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/we-have-achieved-our-goal-new-zealand-eliminates-covid-19-in-the-community-20200427-p54nn5.html

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

EA Sports posted:

drat it feels good to be a gamer.

i wasted 30 years of my life but finally i get to own normals for at least 6 months!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I would just like to say, as someone working 2 jobs, one as an ER nurse and one as a PCP at a walk-in clinic, that if I hear one more person complain about how bored they are sitting at home all this time I'm going to completely lose my loving poo poo. This is my 5th week in a row of approaching a 70 hour work week, I don't want to hear it.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Meanwhile, in the southern hemisphere ...

NZ is one of the few place in the world that can legit try to reopen.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Ever think a single one of these people has a moment of clarity? They don't.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bleusilences posted:

NZ is one of the few place in the world that can legit try to reopen.

Yeah and even then they're still being suuuuuuuuper hesitant, which is a hell of a contrast you ..... y'know ........ /waves arm around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Happy Hedonist posted:

I would just like to say, as someone working 2 jobs, one as an ER nurse and one as a PCP at a walk-in clinic, that if I hear one more person complain about how bored they are sitting at home all this time I'm going to completely lose my loving poo poo. This is my 5th week in a row of approaching a 70 hour work week, I don't want to hear it.

gently caress shitposting for a minute. Thank you and thank all your coworkers for doing your jobs in the most horrific conditions imaginable. You loving rock.

E: also I want you to go back to work and explain how some internet man named goatsestretchgoals gave everyone a high five

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 27, 2020