Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It would always be fair to say our readiness is degraded by a Trump order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bulletsponge13 posted:

OPSEC!
/s

Some dude on FB tried to call me out on OPSEC for discussing Live Leak videos from 10 years ago.

I hope you told him to OPsuck on your balls

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PeterCat posted:

So, would it be fair to say that our readiness is degraded by having the rapid response force of the 82nd stuck in the desert for months on some bullshit?

Degraded? The president doesnt even know the meaning of word degraded! So of course not! All good!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

bulletsponge13 posted:

Von Braun chat- he was a loving Nazi. Doesn't matter how you try to justify it, he was Nazi who built terror weapons with slave labor.
So not only is he a Nazi, he's an Indiana Jones level villain Nazi.

Meatball story-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/astroengineer.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/werner-von-braun-and-the-meatball-pin/amp/

It's, a, uh, little hard to believe a thirdhand story from an anonymous source.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, seems totally out of character for a Nazi to have Nazi poo poo.

No, I get your point, but I'm willing to believe this account considering how he got his job, and actions on previous employment

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/atheist_bad/status/1254177902905774085

Note that the audio is :nws: if, for some godforsaken reason, you're in an office these days

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Plus passage of time, and apparently Von Braun was _so_ Nazi that a Nazi swastika just wasn't enough, so he went the extra mile to procure an SS totenkopf* to take to an American jeweler to craft into his double secret, double evil, double pin that he wore everywhere but no-one ever saw.

* The insignia of the 3rd SS Panzer Division which took part in the invasion of France until spring '41 and spent the rest of the war on the Eastern Front.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 27, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Degraded? The president doesnt even know the meaning of word degraded! So of course not! All good!

He'll have you know he got tremendous grades. Beautiful, even. You just can't see them. Any of them. Ever. :smugdon:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, seems totally out of character for a Nazi to have Nazi poo poo.

No, I get your point, but I'm willing to believe this account considering how he got his job, and actions on previous employment

I'm willing to completely trash this account because it references Richard Hoagland multiple times and ends with "Hoagland was right."

Richard Hoagland has a well-documented hatred for NASA and is also known for claiming NASA is hiding evidence of extraterrestrial activity, that he designed the Pioneer 10 plaque along with Carl Sagan, and frequently plagiarizes to puff up his own credentials.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also he spent decades lying about a face on Mars.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Porfiriato posted:

Note that the audio is :nws: if, for some godforsaken reason, you're in an office these days

Going outside to own the people protesting that you can't go outside. :ironicat:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkBseVTUow

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Chichevache posted:

Going outside to own the people protesting that you can't go outside. :ironicat:

:allears:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I just watched that whole thing and that was a terrifying snap shot of a bunch of people who are suffering from mental illness or probably have a serious cognitive defect.

Holy moly.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

PeterCat posted:

So, would it be fair to say that our readiness is degraded by having the rapid response force of the 82nd stuck in the desert for months on some bullshit?

Probably not, they're already deployed. Probably easier to send them somewhere else from Kuwait than from home station.

The regular Army isn't super busy anyway, at least not in regards to combat operations. Most BDEs just train up for a training center rotation and then go to Korea, Kuwait, eastern Europe or somewhere around the Pacific.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1254586604360011776

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

... he's retweeting himself? That is just wrong.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Chichevache posted:

dude,

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Porfiriato posted:

"Get an essential job, you piece of poo poo"

:laffo:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

He retweets himself constantly, but he's doing our equivalent of quoting himself in a new post there. Which he also does regularly.

e: for example,

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

He also retweeted this and failed to notice the account’s name was “Trump and Biden are Rapey.”

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Handsome Ralph posted:

"Get an essential job, you piece of poo poo"

:laffo:

I lol every time at the middle-aged Karen dropping "nice Wal-Mart shoes!!" like it's some sort of sick own.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Porfiriato posted:

Good counterprotest there.

This one too imo.

https://twitter.com/steveahlquist/status/1254109349749895174

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Porfiriato posted:

I lol every time at the middle-aged Karen dropping "nice Wal-Mart shoes!!" like it's some sort of sick own.

I dunno about you, but when I’m putting my entire community at risk by demanding that my governor reopen my hairdresser, I wouldn’t be caught dead in anything but my Balenciagas. Economic reopening and looking good come at a price!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Porfiriato posted:

That and the guy who was like "Oh is your mom here giving free blow jobs?"

Sick own Farva.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Was there ever any info about the US troops injured in Iran’s rocket attacks?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Abongination posted:

Was there ever any info about the US troops injured in Iran’s rocket attacks?

There was a ton of TBI injuries iirc

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Flikken posted:

There was a ton of TBI injuries iirc

Just some headaches. Not very serious.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

Just some headaches. Not very serious.

800mg of Mortin, change your socks and drink more water.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
What in the flying gently caress is this 5-4 Supreme Court majority on this case?

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1254774269692612608?s=19

That is a loving wild lineup of justices and the chambers discussions had to be really weird.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Not about injuries, but it sounds like the base had 12-18 hours of forewarning, and were told to anticipate a chem/bio attack.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/us-troops-warned-before-iran-ballistic-missile-attack

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

What in the flying gently caress is this 5-4 Supreme Court majority on this case?

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1254774269692612608?s=19

That is a loving wild lineup of justices and the chambers discussions had to be really weird.

Based on the summaries it looks like:
The majority: the “government edicts doctrine” holds that works for hire by the government are public domain
Thomas’s dissent: if congress wanted to create a government edicts doctrine they should’ve written one into copyright law, the entire thing is dumb
Ginsburg dissent: the government edicts doctrine does not apply here because it applies only to the works of the government, not its contractors.

The majority could have some pretty wide ranging implications I think?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

hobbesmaster posted:

Ginsburg dissent: the government edicts doctrine does not apply here because it applies only to the works of the government, not its contractors.

Ehhhh, that kinda makes sense? I don't necessarily agree, but I can see the logic behind her reasoning.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The majority called it a work for hire though which means that its as if the government itself wrote it. The government being able to copyright its "edicts" using a work for hire would not only undermine the concept of the edicts doctrine but also the definition of a work for hire.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

EFF posted:

The case originated when Georgia’s Code Revision Commission threatened, and ultimately sued, open records activist Carl Malamud and his organization Public.Resource.Org (PRO). In an effort to make Georgia’s official laws easily accessible, Malamud had bought a hard copy of the OCGA, paying more than $1,200 for it. (The 11th Circuit opinion reports that a copy currently costs $404, although it isn’t clear if that price applies to non-residents.) Malamud then scanned the books, and sent each Georgia legislator a USB stick with two full copies—one of the scanned OCGA, and another encoded in XML format.

I should be surprised that my state did this, but I'm not.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

The majority called it a work for hire though which means that its as if the government itself wrote it. The government being able to copyright its "edicts" using a work for hire would not only undermine the concept of the edicts doctrine but also the definition of a work for hire.

If they went the other way I could argue that my work is my IP, and not the IP of the company?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EBB posted:

If they went the other way I could argue that my work is my IP, and not the IP of the company?

You could always draw up a contract that specified otherwise as Georgia did. But Georgia did it to avoid its legal responsibilities and thats a bit of a no no.

Seems like a bit of a mess, which is why the opinions fell as they did. Well, other Thomas with his classic "this court should only have the power to adjudicate one water right dispute between states every 5 years" ruling

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EBB posted:

I did not at all read this case as something that could be used as an attack on work for hire, and Ginsburg's dissent does not track that either. I have not read Thomas' dissent. Ginsburg argued that the commission and publication of the annotations was outside the scope of legislative work that is exempted from copyright protection because they only published annotations on extant laws, were silent on the legislature's interpretation, and were merely collections of people other than the legislature's interpretations. As the annotations have no connection to a legislative function, she would have upheld their copyright status.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fifty-four thousand dead in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doc Hawkins posted:

fifty-four thousand dead in the us

Time to open up! The cure cannot be worse than the disease. They said millions would die and only 54k? Sounds like this is no big deal.