Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bao?

BAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Some nonsense going on here, French Onion soup is fine. You make dark stock: roast beef or chicken bones in a pan with some onion, carrot, celery, thyme and a bay leaf, use a little vegetable oil in the pan and get some on everything. Don’t burn it, brown it. Stick everything in a big pot and add water to cover, simmer for about three hours, occasionally skimming the fat off. Strain the stock into a smaller pan, throw away the bones and veg.

Chop onions into rings, sweat in unsalted butter until transparent with some thyme. Add the stock and a bit of sherry or madeira and cook until ready. Just before it’s done, check the seasoning: there is zero salt in it at this point, so you can carefully grind pepper and add salt until it tastes right.

Get some good quality bread and make croutons that fit in your bowl. Fry them in hot shallow oil that has a garlic clove in it until brown. Put soup in bowl, put crouton on top. Cover the crouton with good cheese, (comte or gruyere are great) and melt and brown the cheese under a hot grill.

If you’re eating something that isn’t approximately this, you’ve gone wrong somewhere.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Reaching way in the back of the pantry I found some falafel mix that was still within its expiration date!

Made some tzatziki and tabouli to go with it!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Breakfast for dinner with 50/50 rye/whole wheat pancakes, topped with a maple apple compote finished with Templeton Rye.

And one must always pay the sous.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Suanla chaoshou / Sichuan-Style Wontons

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Shrimp and Grits with bacon, kale, mushrooms, onion and chorizo.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainCrunch posted:

The photography isn’t as good as some in the thread but this turned out so drat tasty I had to post.

Detroit Style* Pizza. It’s been 3.5 weeks since my last grocery run, used up the last of my pepperoni and mozzarella and I need to get a mezzaluna. The crust was so drat fluffy with such a crispy edge and the sauce was amazingly bright (used the last of my frozen San marzano sauce.) it was a supreme act of will to not eat the whole goddamn thing.

*i don’t own one of those steel pans so glass will have to do.

I came here to post the pizza I just cooked (in Detroit, by the way), and the app opened to this post. Looks good! I think your picture came out fine, and the red looks great.

Minced garlic and olive oil white sauce, grated Parmesan-Romano cheese, chicken, baby ‘bella mushrooms, chopped tomato, minced thai chilis, topped with shredded mozzarella and provolone.

I cooked it at 550 (I love gas ovens), and slid it onto my pizza stone for finishing. I gambled on an extra two minutes, and the edges got a tiny bit black, but it tastes fantastic.

Here is another one from a few nights ago.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Asparagus Urine posted:

Suanla chaoshou / Sichuan-Style Wontons

They're so pretty

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I feel bad about my lovely pictures but I don't feel bad about my food! Straight from the potato thread it's aloo bhindi aka potatoes plus okra. Can't recommend it enough if you've got some okra.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I'd eat the hell out of some Detroit pizza, never had the chance to try it

trashy bacon sandwiches(iceberg lettuce, Kirkland bacon, hellmans mayo, no tomato) with some homemade sourdough:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

large hands posted:

I'd eat the hell out of some Detroit pizza, never had the chance to try it

trashy bacon sandwiches(iceberg lettuce, Kirkland bacon, hellmans mayo, no tomato) with some homemade sourdough:

holy poo poo that bread

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Grilled a cheese (havarti and some 5 year aged cheddar) with some homemade tomato soup:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

holy poo poo that bread

Is it meant to look semi-opaque and "gooey"?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

droll posted:

Is it meant to look semi-opaque and "gooey"?

I think thats just the inside of one of the bubbles. They tend to look kind of shiny like that in all the high hydration no-knead breads I've made

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I came here to post the pizza I just cooked (in Detroit, by the way), and the app opened to this post. Looks good! I think your picture came out fine, and the red looks great.

Thank you!
Taking notes on the toppings on your pies because I am out of all veg and cheese now and need to resupply.

I made chili, which I have no false modesty about. It’s the dish I love the most.
I realized I needed a bread bowl about halfway through the day so I baked a couple.
They didn’t puff up very much, and didn’t have a ton of character, but absorbed the chili flavor like a champ. (I was too lazy to grate that last chunk of cheddar)

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Onion marinated lamb chops and berbere roasted sweet potatoes:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Trying out brown sugar coated salmon on the barbecue

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

iajanus posted:

Trying out brown sugar coated salmon on the barbecue

Looks good. Is that a cedar plank? Is there *any* nuance of the cedar in the fish after cooking (scent wise)?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Looks good. Is that a cedar plank? Is there *any* nuance of the cedar in the fish after cooking (scent wise)?

I've done this with planks and the fish can pick it up pretty easily and can almost be overpowering at times. Costco was selling the planks and it had a recipe for one of my favorite salmon seasonings.

Coastal Cuisine Dry Rub
2 Tbls kosher salt
2 Tbls brown suger
1 Tbls black pepper
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tbls dried basil
1 Tbls dried tarragon ( optional )

Edit:
This was one of the other seasonings they listed. Never tried it.

Rockin’ Dry Rub
Ribs, chicken, steak

⅓ cup paprika
2 Tbls chili powder
1 Tbls dried oregano
1 Tbls garlic poweder
2 Tbls celery salt
2 Tbls black pepper
2 teaspoons mustard seeds

This was the recipe
Rockn’ dry rub ribs
Presoak planks for 2 hours. May need 2.
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 rack baby back pork ribs
6 tablespoons of rockn’ dry rub

Mix vinigar, water and two tablespoons dry rub in glass bowl.
Baste the ribs with vinegar micture and place on plank, bone side down. Set on preheated gril and close lid.
Baste and flip ribs every 20 min. Grill for 1 ½ hours or until ribs are brown and meat pulls off.
Remove plank from grill. Baste ribs with remaining sauce & sprinkle Rockin’ dry rub. Cut racks and server.

sterster fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 29, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made kenji's teriyaki flank steak stuffed with scallion oil

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

sterster posted:

I've done this with planks and the fish can pick it up pretty easily and can almost be overpowering at times. Costco was selling the planks and it had a recipe for one of my favorite salmon seasonings.

Coastal Cuisine Dry Rub
2 Tbls kosher salt
2 Tbls brown suger
1 Tbls black pepper
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tbls dried basil
1 Tbls dried tarragon ( optional )

Edit:
This was one of the other seasonings they listed. Never tried it.

Rockin’ Dry Rub
Ribs, chicken, steak

⅓ cup paprika
2 Tbls chili powder
1 Tbls dried oregano
1 Tbls garlic poweder
2 Tbls celery salt
2 Tbls black pepper
2 teaspoons mustard seeds

This was the recipe
Rockn’ dry rub ribs
Presoak planks for 2 hours. May need 2.
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 rack baby back pork ribs
6 tablespoons of rockn’ dry rub

Mix vinigar, water and two tablespoons dry rub in glass bowl.
Baste the ribs with vinegar micture and place on plank, bone side down. Set on preheated gril and close lid.
Baste and flip ribs every 20 min. Grill for 1 ½ hours or until ribs are brown and meat pulls off.
Remove plank from grill. Baste ribs with remaining sauce & sprinkle Rockin’ dry rub. Cut racks and server.

I've used cedar planks in a very similar recipe for Carp

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah, it was a cedar plank and it was definitely noticeable, and very nice both in scent and taste. I've never used brown sugar on fish before and it was really delicious as a glaze. Was quite impressed - we've been cooking nearly every night (and many other meals) on the Weber since we got it a few weeks ago and it keeps impressing in new ways (unlike our old bbq, which barely got hot enough to brown meat, let alone sear it).

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

large hands posted:

made kenji's teriyaki flank steak stuffed with scallion oil

Now there’s an idea. Going to be giving this a try.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Spinach paneer korma, brown rice, onion naan.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Nice looking naan, what's your go-to recipe?

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
anyone have a go to preparation for cabbage as a side? I'm doing a whole chicken tonight and have about half a head of leftover cabbage. I'm thinking of either shaving it thin and dressing it with lime juice and adding a couple other things or cutting it a bit thicker and sauteeing it

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
vinager, mayo, sugar, baby you got a coleslaw.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

thetan_guy42 posted:

anyone have a go to preparation for cabbage as a side? I'm doing a whole chicken tonight and have about half a head of leftover cabbage. I'm thinking of either shaving it thin and dressing it with lime juice and adding a couple other things or cutting it a bit thicker and sauteeing it

make some pikliz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyNZyjhO9m0

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

thetan_guy42 posted:

I tend to make either a coleslaw or Asian slaw.

If I’ve got a little more time I sauté it with garlic, onions, and chopped apples and add some apple cider vinegar at the end.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Coleslaw, Miso/Sesame slaw, curtido, quick stir fry with some other veggies and a little soy/white pepper/garlic

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress yeah this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for and I already have most of the stuff :hf:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

large hands posted:

Nice looking naan, what's your go-to recipe?

BA's onion naan

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Slice thin, salt for 5 min and squeeze, combine with sliced yellow onion in 1:1 ratio, render pork belly, then remove pork from pan and heat to smoking. Char veg on hot pan and deglaze with white wine, then reduce heat and satire with garlic and pork belly until tasty. I like to up the acidity with some balsamic vinegar. Sage and pepper are good seasonings. Mushrooms are a good add but have to be cooked separate or there's too much water in the pan.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

thetan_guy42 posted:

Late to the party, but the next time I get a whole chicken and a cabbage, I really want to try this https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/04/roast-chicken-with-schmaltzy-cabbage/

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tortellini with succotash.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Anne Whateley posted:

Late to the party, but the next time I get a whole chicken and a cabbage, I really want to try this https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/04/roast-chicken-with-schmaltzy-cabbage/

when i'm feeling exceptionally lazy I like doing something along the lines of this:

http://www.dinnerwithjulie.com/2019/03/12/charred-cabbage-and-crispy-potatoes-with-jalapeno-garlic-cilantro-sauce/

Just cut off a slab, toss it in a pan and fry, add whatever the hell sauce/ingredients ya feel like.

(also imma make that chicken this weekend now \m/\m/)

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

Sounds awesome, I put garlic and lemon under mine per a bonapetit recipe but cabbage would have made it even better

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Did Ribs

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I got the pizza bug, again.

Red sauce, shredded mozzarella and provolone (egg-slicered, this time), baby ‘bellas, andouille sausage, and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan-Romano cheese.

There was an incident during a crucial maneuver, resulting in a shifting of toppings toward one end of the pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Ratatouille!

Only thing stopping it from being gluten free/vegan was the baguette, but my horrible rear end wanted bread. Gluten free wife had rice :allears: