Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pacific War by Mark Herman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tias posted:

Which one?

The new edition of Pacific War from GMT.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

unicr0n posted:

So with the whole isolation thing going on I’ve been trying to think of boardgames to play with my family group. I have a brother, brother in law and a few nephews who don’t mind coming round for some games. Mostly lighter stuff but a couple are fine with Twilight Struggle and BSG for instance.

They’re no war gamers by any stretch but we work with what we have. I’m currently running them through three simultaneous games of Silent Victory, running the games in vassal and sending them updates in Discord and having them send me orders to process.

After this they’re keen to try a more complex game but either playing together against me or against each other, I’m only going with games I have physical copies of and so far we’ve earmarked Unconditional Surrender, Conflict of Heroes and a small scenario standard game of one of the Next War games.

Can the collective thread call out any other introductory war games, that don’t require any hidden information, that could be run in a sort of Let’s Play format? I’ll need to teach them about stacking limits and so on, but plan is to run them like an RPG where they say what they want to do and I’ll DM the rules .

What sort of light wargames do you own?

I think the standard recommendation for introductory wargames would be something like Command and Colours (Yes, tere's hidden cards) , or, if you're into H&C, A Victory Lost or one of the SImonitch games.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mllaneza posted:

The new edition of Pacific War from GMT.

Can you pitch it for me super quick? My friends want to start a wargaming group, it could be something up their alley if it's not too hard and dry.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tias posted:

Can you pitch it for me super quick? My friends want to start a wargaming group, it could be something up their alley if it's not too hard and dry.
It's a semi-monster operational level pacific war game, unfortunately. I wouldn't recommend it for a group that's just starting out. It has smaller scenarios though. What experience do your friends have? Do you have more than 2 players?

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

tomdidiot posted:

What sort of light wargames do you own?

I think the standard recommendation for introductory wargames would be something like Command and Colours (Yes, tere's hidden cards) , or, if you're into H&C, A Victory Lost or one of the SImonitch games.

My wargame list is :
Unconditional Surrender
Twilight Struggle
Empire of the Sun
Silent Victory
The Hunters
Normandy '44
Ardennes '44
Ukraine '43
Holland '44
Triumph and Tragedy
Cuba Libre
Sekigahara
Chuchill
Hitler's Reich
Next War : Poland
Next War : Taiwan
Next War : Korea
EastFront / WestFront / EuroFront
Conflict of Heroes : AtB
Memoir '44..

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Definitely start the less experienced ones out on Memoir 44. That's such an easy and simple game, a bit random, but the whole "flip the board and swap sides to compare score" and the short scenarios helps with the occasional bullshit. I'd then say Sekigahara? Afterwards, Churchill. Gives them a nice spectrum of fairly easy and not too long games.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

unicr0n posted:

My wargame list is :
Unconditional Surrender
Twilight Struggle
Empire of the Sun
Silent Victory
The Hunters
Normandy '44
Ardennes '44
Ukraine '43
Holland '44
Triumph and Tragedy
Cuba Libre
Sekigahara
Chuchill
Hitler's Reich
Memoir '44..

Memoir and Seki are the most suitable beginner games in there, but both have a lot of hidden info
Conflict of Heroes probably works well as well (Hven't played it myself)
Probably Ukraine 43 or Ardennes '44 if you want to do operational H&C ( I feel they're less complicated that Normandy or Holland) , and TS For Card drive ngames - though TS comes with the standard caveat that while the ruels are simple, the derived complexity from the cards are not.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

unicr0n posted:

My wargame list is :
Unconditional Surrender
Twilight Struggle
Empire of the Sun
Silent Victory
The Hunters
Normandy '44
Ardennes '44
Ukraine '43
Holland '44
Triumph and Tragedy
Cuba Libre
Sekigahara
Chuchill
Hitler's Reich
Memoir '44..

Wow that covers a lot.
At this point its less 'what should we play?' and more 'how can I trick my friends into learning Empire of the Sun' imho

light is a relative term lol
fly some planes, hang out on some beaches, take a cruise

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Sekigahara is definitely a fairly light game. The rules can be put on a single piece of paper and a whole game can be played in a few hours at the most. Plus, it's also a really good game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I would buy a 40k COIN in 20 seconds, I dont care if it's a bad idea, I'm just that dumb

Forbidden stars. The order system is a bit different but close enough to COIN - there's a lot of footsies around bluffing what your limOps and fullOps locations are.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I mean, I think you just re-invented the old AH Dune boardgame?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

It's a semi-monster operational level pacific war game, unfortunately. I wouldn't recommend it for a group that's just starting out. It has smaller scenarios though. What experience do your friends have? Do you have more than 2 players?

It's a terrifically clever operational sim of the Pacific War. The scenarios start out as Engagements, where you play out the attack on Pearl Harbor, Savo Island, or a simple land campaign. Then you get into Battles, where you're playing Midway. or Eastern Solomons. Then it's Campaigns; Guadalcanal 8/42-1/43 or the Philippines 12/41-2/42. And then there are Strategic scenarios, here's everything in 12/41, go for it !

The larger the scenario gets, the more you need to be able to analyze your options based on the rules and your available resources. Sure, rolling out the attack on Pearl Harbor is fun, but playing a Battle scenario competently enough to be fun takes some work - your first few turns can take a long time, and games can turn on misunderstanding or forgetting a rule. But when the rules click, you've got whole navies at your fingertips. Think the Japanese should have pivoted to Guadalcanal completely instead of trying to keep the New Guinea front as the senior partner in the campaign ? Do it, you're in command.

So I say go for it. By the time it prints and ships you'll have a group with the meta skills to learn and analyze wargames. And waiting for you will be a game that can not only simulate Coral Sea or Midway in 2 hours, but also provide the strategic context for why they were fought when and where they were.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, god, that sounds like it is totally my jam.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ilor posted:

Oh, god, that sounds like it is totally my jam.

Two maps
Nine counter sheets
Named capital ships down to CA/CVL
A stack of charts and tables half an inch thick.
40 pages of scenarios from single-hex engagements to the whole war.

It might not be everybody's jam, but there is a lot of jam.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

mllaneza posted:

Two maps
Nine counter sheets
Named capital ships down to CA/CVL
A stack of charts and tables half an inch thick.
40 pages of scenarios from single-hex engagements to the whole war.

It might not be everybody's jam, but there is a lot of jam.

It's something I've wanted for ages; a good, playable naval game. I bought into Avalanche Press's SWWAS System, but that was such as profoundly dissapointing bookkeeping exercise I wanted to shoot myself.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, Deadly Northern Lights for 1985 is no longer for sale despite me only waiting 2 weeks!

if any goons are selling or know of a copy for sale, hit me up because 1985 is the only series I'm rabidly interested in enough to seek out like this

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ohh, a nice thread. I rediscovered board games a few months ago, got some general stuff, and Gandhi COIN which is awesome. I should probably try doing an LP of it with goons as the National Congress vs 3 bots. Although goons as the leopards eating faces party would be more hilarious.

Fire in the Lake got stuck in the mail. But I P500ed the expansions! And Beneath the Med to chill, and All Bridges Burning, and now I'm watching the Red Flag over Paris number crawl up :ohdear:

Looking into some PnP for later in the year, as I did find some print shops in my city that take single game orders.
Why do White Dog Games PnP cost almost as much as a folio order? Why can't it be like Attack of the 50 Foot Colossi, or Irish Freedom?

Is NWS Wargaming Store legit? I like the prices.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

NWS drags its feet a bit with shipping because it's a one-man show (and I imagine right now they'll be especially backed up), but Chris is a hell of a stand-up guy, and I can personally vouch from my very very many dollars there being well-spent.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Ohh, a nice thread. I rediscovered board games a few months ago, got some general stuff, and Gandhi COIN which is awesome. I should probably try doing an LP of it with goons as the National Congress vs 3 bots. Although goons as the leopards eating faces party would be more hilarious.

Fire in the Lake got stuck in the mail. But I P500ed the expansions! And Beneath the Med to chill, and All Bridges Burning, and now I'm watching the Red Flag over Paris number crawl up :ohdear:

Looking into some PnP for later in the year, as I did find some print shops in my city that take single game orders.
Why do White Dog Games PnP cost almost as much as a folio order? Why can't it be like Attack of the 50 Foot Colossi, or Irish Freedom?

The Gandhi game sounds interesting, but I didn't really check it out that much because I've been a bit preoccupied and off wargames for a while. What did you like about it?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Gandhi got me with the Unity and Restraint tracks.
High Unity lets the Congress drag more Muslim activists around and use them, but it also lets the Muslim League do more operations on their turn. Low Unity cuts that, but lets the League establish its bases cheaper to act in those regions freely.
High Restraint makes it harder for the Raj to act and lets Congress act a lot, but peaceful Raj also limits the number of protests you can start. Low Restraint means everyone gets beaten up by the Raj regularly, but the country is always covered in protests, maybe even on the railways, which limits Raj movement and resource gains.
Then, if/when both tracks drop to 1, there's the crisis mode when each faction gets a boost to a certain ability, so you kinda want to both use it and stop the crisis before anyone else can take advantage of it, unless you're a Revolutionary, because crisis lets you stir up unrest on a massive scale. Except Unrest markers can be used by the non-violent factions to negotiate it them away and bring Restraint back up.

There's a lot of balancing and interaction between elements like that. Even the map. The Congress wants to gain popular opposition to the regime, but half of the juiciest 2-pop provinces are Muslim and also give victory points to the Muslim League, which has a lower VP requirement than the Congress. Cities are nearly worthless scoring-wise, but that's where the Raj forces spawn, and a protest started there ties them all up in riot control. Princely States are not too populated, but British troops can't enter them, so the Raj has to send sepoys who must be paid.

It's all a big swirling mess.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 28, 2020

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone know anything about the new 2020 edition of Axis Empires?

Phi230 posted:

Ugh, Deadly Northern Lights for 1985 is no longer for sale despite me only waiting 2 weeks!

if any goons are selling or know of a copy for sale, hit me up because 1985 is the only series I'm rabidly interested in enough to seek out like this

It's already out of print? Sucks :(

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Anyone know anything about the new 2020 edition of Axis Empires?

I know lots of things about it, including that it is now going to be the 2021 edition because they needed more development time. What do you want to know specifically?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Gandhi got me with the Unity and Restraint tracks.
High Unity lets the Congress drag more Muslim activists around and use them, but it also lets the Muslim League do more operations on their turn. Low Unity cuts that, but lets the League establish its bases cheaper to act in those regions freely.
High Restraint makes it harder for the Raj to act and lets Congress act a lot, but peaceful Raj also limits the number of protests you can start. Low Restraint means everyone gets beaten up by the Raj regularly, but the country is always covered in protests, maybe even on the railways, which limits Raj movement and resource gains.
Then, if/when both tracks drop to 1, there's the crisis mode when each faction gets a boost to a certain ability, so you kinda want to both use it and stop the crisis before anyone else can take advantage of it, unless you're a Revolutionary, because crisis lets you stir up unrest on a massive scale. Except Unrest markers can be used by the non-violent factions to negotiate it them away and bring Restraint back up.

There's a lot of balancing and interaction between elements like that. Even the map. The Congress wants to gain popular opposition to the regime, but half of the juiciest 2-pop provinces are Muslim and also give victory points to the Muslim League, which has a lower VP requirement than the Congress. Cities are nearly worthless scoring-wise, but that's where the Raj forces spawn, and a protest started there ties them all up in riot control. Princely States are not too populated, but British troops can't enter them, so the Raj has to send sepoys who must be paid.

It's all a big swirling mess.

Ah cool. A lot of that game sounded interesting and I'd be willing to give it a try sometime, but man it does sound like there's a lot going on at any given moment.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played Gandhi once and it played well for a late-stage COIN. Would recommend it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

I know lots of things about it, including that it is now going to be the 2021 edition because they needed more development time. What do you want to know specifically?

Ah, thank you! The big question is how much they are changing the base game, beyond adding together the expansions for the old edition?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ive not been keeping up with COIN lately, are there still any in the works? Last one I actually bought was Falling Sky and turned down Pendragon because of the reviews itt.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Ive not been keeping up with COIN lately, are there still any in the works? Last one I actually bought was Falling Sky and turned down Pendragon because of the reviews itt.
Yeah they are still churning them out.
COIN X is All Bridges Burning, Finnish Civil War, only 3 player.
COIN XI is People Power, Phillipines, only 3 player (IIRC).

Brian Train is working on a 1937 China COIN. There's apparently still developments on a Troubles COIN set in Ireland as well. Someone outside of GMT is trying to develop a COIN based on the Sengoku period in Japan as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

ABB is 3-player but 5-faction. Even with 3 people you run a bot for the Germans.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
"Late-stage COIN" is a good way of putting it, because COIN is spreading is a malignant and metastatic way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

"Late-stage COIN" is a good way of putting it, because COIN is spreading is a malignant and metastatic way.

I think that was what Tek was going for.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
We're in the Shifting Sands/Stalin's War/Barbarossa to Berlin stage where CDGs ended up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Troubles COIN sounds interesting and good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

I think that was what Tek was going for.

Ah, it's me, the joke getter

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Does anyone alive still make paragraph-based wargames? Ambush is an antique, and it seems that to get Ranger you need to type your CC info into an unsecured form, and pray.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I've been thinking on and off about Space Empires 4x as a solo game for a while. Does anyone have thoughts on it as a solo experience and are the expansions important to make it work?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Ah, thank you! The big question is how much they are changing the base game, beyond adding together the expansions for the old edition?

The base game of TK is changing very little - there's a couple minor card changes for balance reasons but other than that all of the changes are related to the expansion content and don't affect the base game. There's a couple new optional rules that I would highly recommend using even when playing the base game but since they're optional they aren't technically changes to the base. DS is receiving major changes: almost all of the cards changed, several strategic hexes changed, and basically the whole thing underwent a major balance patch. At this point, it's essentially a new edition of DS.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Grundma posted:

I've been thinking on and off about Space Empires 4x as a solo game for a while. Does anyone have thoughts on it as a solo experience and are the expansions important to make it work?

It's a lot of fun as a solo. Doomsday scenario I only played a couple of times to get used to, the Alien Empires one does a very good job of making foes. You definitely will sometimes have to make choices for the aliens, either in a "do something reasonable" or "just do something, the details don't matter" sense. The first expansion Close Encounters adds a ton of stuff, including more solo scenarios and most of it can be used by and against the aliens. If you like the game (solo or otherwise), I would get it. Replicators does add a new solo scenario with a very different foe, overall I would only get Replicators if you love the game.

As you play a few times you will discover spots where the alien flowcharts are leading them quite poorly, feel free to adjust them for difficulty and experience.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

rchandra posted:

It's a lot of fun as a solo. Doomsday scenario I only played a couple of times to get used to, the Alien Empires one does a very good job of making foes. You definitely will sometimes have to make choices for the aliens, either in a "do something reasonable" or "just do something, the details don't matter" sense. The first expansion Close Encounters adds a ton of stuff, including more solo scenarios and most of it can be used by and against the aliens. If you like the game (solo or otherwise), I would get it. Replicators does add a new solo scenario with a very different foe, overall I would only get Replicators if you love the game.

As you play a few times you will discover spots where the alien flowcharts are leading them quite poorly, feel free to adjust them for difficulty and experience.

Thanks! Its been on my radar for a while. Gonna think it over some more but I might order it from GMT for the deal on the 4th printing then look for the expansions later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chill la Chill posted:

Troubles COIN sounds interesting and good.

It's been in the making since the very start but never came out - I kind of get the impression that the gameplay is pretty boring, or at least they haven't really worked out a way of making the conflict interesting from a gaming perspective.

fake edit: just realised people are talking about The Troubles, the one in production that I knew of was the Irish Civil War. I guess The Troubles would have to be 2 player a la Colonial Twilight?

I know there was an Iraq one that got canned since ISIS cropped up when development was underway and they ditched the whole thing.