Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just realized with Re:Rise's second OP: There's only eight armor sets shown off at the end.

*PLUTO IS-TOO A PLANET!!!* :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Booourns posted:

G Reco had a dummy balloon ship too

I didn't get far into G-Reco, but seeing that goofy-rear end balloon ship makes me feel that I should fix that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

First episode of Build Fighters Try has them too.

No wonder I didn't know that. I never watched Try after reading how bad it was in this thread. :v:

Warmachine posted:

They did. When the Argama's MS teams tried to hold off the Banshee, a ReZEL pops a poo poo ton out before getting smoked.

I don't remember seeing any in Narrative--they were too busy having flashy fights with the dumb gold Gundam.

Was this during the 7th OVA? Because I lost complete interest in ever finishing it after I read a spoiler that Marida died in it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Try at least had pretty good fights every once in a while. It wasn't a good show but I don't super regret watching it for that reason

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

...who?

???

Bring Stabity (pronounced exactly how you think) and the kamikaze gundam... uh... poo poo, I saw it in Crossrays the other night... ah yes, the "Gaga"

quote:

After his death, he is cloned in mass numbers as suicide pilots of the GNZ-004 Gaga.

I was originally going to say Mr. Bushido, because he's an evolution of the camp that made his character great in season 1, but no. Bring Stabity is who is being referenced.

amigolupus posted:

Was this during the 7th OVA? Because I lost complete interest in ever finishing it after I read a spoiler that Marida died in it.

End of the 6th. Marida gets fridged by Riddhe sometime after since he has to dunk on some regulars and tie up Banana a bit first. And yeah, she dies for the typical cyber-newtype reason of newtyping everyone else in the general vicinity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

Try at least had pretty good fights every once in a while. It wasn't a good show but I don't super regret watching it for that reason

It does have some fantastic fights, but they're almost entirely stashed in the later episodes and it's just not worth subjecting yourself to the show to get to them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I didn't get far into G-Reco, but seeing that goofy-rear end balloon ship makes me feel that I should fix that.

You should, it's an excellent show. The first compilation movie is out now too and it makes some interesting changes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GimmickMan posted:

...who?

???

I'm assuming they're referring to Ribbons as the villain. I don't know if I'd consider him one of the best in the franchise - he's not particularly well written - but Furuya chews the scenery as "smug prick messiah" hard enough with him that he's one of my personal favorites.

As for design, hell if I know. I don't really love any of the S2 00 Gundams that much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd say that the Reborns is one of the best evil Gundams. It's got a sleek, stylish design that really expresses the nature and personality of its pilot in a way that's campy but still pretty cool.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The best gundam is obviously Hobo Exia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3 posted:

The best gundam is obviously Hobo Exia.

I really love OG Just-the-Sword Exia myself, just because it was a real outlier for a protagonist Gundam not to have a shield-and-rifle loadout as its go-to. The full Seven-Swords loadout made it get a bit busy and detracted from that I felt, because there's the shield and rifle (kinda) again.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I adore S1 of 00 and despise S2. There's some really cool stuff in S2 but the overall thing just throws away so much of what made the first season good in an attempt to turn itself into a generic Zeta clone.

This isn't even including stuff like Lockon 2. Lockon 2 was actually fine and one of the good characters in S2.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was it s1, s2, or both which continually had episodes end on suspenseful cliffhangers and then resolved them before the opening credits in the flattest way possible? I remember that being an issue.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The reborns Gundam is a fantastic design and 00's last episode/fight is easily on my top 3 Gundam final episodes

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm a big fan of the BRAVE and BRAVE Commander type.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd say that the Reborns is one of the best evil Gundams. It's got a sleek, stylish design that really expresses the nature and personality of its pilot in a way that's campy but still pretty cool.

Sleek is not a word I'd ever choose to describe the Reborns Gundam. The front sure. When you look at the back (i.e. the cannon form), it destroys any sense of flow the design has, and it just looks like an overcomplicated mess. Even when it's facing forward, all the bits necessary to make the other form still stick up and just look awkward. Which is why the 1 Gundam and 1.5 Gundam are far better designs; though even on them, the elbow housing for the beam sabers looks stupid and out of place. Then again, I talk as someone who actually likes the base 00 Gundam and think the shoulder mounts for the GN drives are a cool idea that gives it a unique look while offering lots of maneuverability. The 00 Raiser is just ugly though, and can go gently caress itself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Sleek is not a word I'd ever choose to describe the Reborns Gundam. The front sure. When you look at the back (i.e. the cannon form), it destroys any sense of flow the design has, and it just looks like an overcomplicated mess. Even when it's facing forward, all the bits necessary to make the other form still stick up and just look awkward. Which is why the 1 Gundam and 1.5 Gundam are far better designs; though even on them, the elbow housing for the beam sabers looks stupid and out of place. Then again, I talk as someone who actually likes the base 00 Gundam and think the shoulder mounts for the GN drives are a cool idea that gives it a unique look while offering lots of maneuverability. The 00 Raiser is just ugly though, and can go gently caress itself.

That's the point, though. It's a Gundam as Literally Satan, elegant and beautiful and alien on the surface but with something ugly and monstrous and crudely human beneath that throws the whole thing off slightly. It tells you everything you need to know about its pilot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I thought the point was you think it's the Guncannon but then it turns around and it's actually a Gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I thought the point was you think it's the Guncannon but then it turns around and it's actually a Gundam

Yes, but they've also been throwing 'Gundams = angels" at you for the entire damned show. It would be weird if there wasn't any religious symbolism there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

That's the point, though. It's a Gundam as Literally Satan, elegant and beautiful and alien on the surface but with something ugly and monstrous and crudely human beneath that throws the whole thing off slightly. It tells you everything you need to know about its pilot.

That's not the point though. It's not elegant, beautiful or alien on the surface; it's just awkward and ugly looking on the surface, and we never see anything underneath that throws that beauty off because all it ever does it turn around and not expose something that was in some way hidden. I wouldn't care if it is or was thematically appropriate though (and while I agree that your idea is thematically appropriate, I don't agree that the Reborns is aiming for that based on how you describe it), because ugly is still ugly. Having a reason for the ugliness doesn't make it not ugly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes, but they've also been throwing 'Gundams = angels" at you for the entire damned show. It would be weird if there wasn't any religious symbolism there.

The issue is that it's not a Zaku or Sazabi or any other bad guy suit, it's the Guncannon. It's not even an especially eviled up Guncannon

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think my favorite thing about the Reborns is the goofy flip around thing on the Beam Rifle. It only holds the Beam Rifle in its hands in Gundam mode, so it's articulated to a hardpoint on one of the arms in Cannon mode but it flips around and has a proper grip for Gundam mode. It's a totally needless addition and it's one of the reasons I love the drat thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There was an MSV Reborns that had a Guntank mode too. The Reborns was a homage to 0079 like the 0 Gundam was.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The issue is that it's not a Zaku or Sazabi or any other bad guy suit, it's the Guncannon. It's not even an especially eviled up Guncannon

I mean, that's a thoroughly depersonalised Guncannon. It's squat, ogrish, and brutally functional, not the cuddly little sidekick-bot that Kai piloted with the scared-but-determines expression. Note how this one has broad, animalistic feet and claw-like 'hands', and loses the nose-like protrusion in the Guncannon's faceplate that makes it look like its monoeye is actually a pair of goggles. It looks like a machine for killing people, while its reverse side looks like an alien god - it's much cleaner and sleeker than any other Gundam in the setting, with that familiar RX-78 shape become something almost organic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, that's a thoroughly depersonalised Guncannon. It's squat, ogrish, and brutally functional, not the cuddly little sidekick-bot that Kai piloted with the scared-but-determines expression. Note how this one has broad, animalistic feet and claw-like 'hands', and loses the nose-like protrusion in the Guncannon's faceplate that makes it look like its monoeye is actually a pair of goggles. It looks like a machine for killing people, while its reverse side looks like an alien god - it's much cleaner and sleeker than any other Gundam in the setting, with that familiar RX-78 shape become something almost organic.

The claws admittedly could possibly be a nod to the Origin version of the Guncannon which doesn't have the fancy hands that the Gundam or the GM have

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

That just means it's drawing from the Guntank as well.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Ali's second series Gundam is the best 'devil'. Long spindly orangutan arms that hang down past the knee, a body that's barely more than a spine supporting the GN drive, the classic hidden foot blade. He even deliberately runs with toxic red particles instead of the refined orange/gold ones that everyone else uses. 23rd century coal-rolling!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The feet aren't broad, they're the regular width of a Gundam foot. And I have never seen an animal that has feet that are like normal feet but with an extra foot sticking out the back

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The feet aren't broad, they're the regular width of a Gundam foot. And I have never seen an animal that has feet that are like normal feet but with an extra foot sticking out the back

There's quite a few out there, mostly on animals that are designed to grip tree branches. Bird fest would be an obvious example. Note also how the reverse version converts them into chic, elegant heels.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

You mean like, birds?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

You mean like, birds?

What are birds?

We just don't know.

(Also, I still say the best demon Gundam is Barbatos. That last stand was real horrorshow.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

There's quite a few out there, mostly on animals that are designed to grip tree branches. Bird fest would be an obvious example. Note also how the reverse version converts them into chic, elegant heels.

Nessus posted:

You mean like, birds?

What? No. Bird feet have grasping clawed fingers, and are generally not mirrored front to back. The Reborns Gundam has a normal Gundam foot in front and then another normal Gundam foot in back. It's a very long mirrored foot. There is no way on earth that was designed to be animalistic like a bird foot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

What are birds?

We just don't know.

(Also, I still say the best demon Gundam is Barbatos. That last stand was real horrorshow.)

I'm getting close to that in my Crossrays game. I just finished the Hashmal stage. They do a real good job of animating the Barbatos horror show in SD form.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Apparently Re:Rise ep. 19 onwards is on hold due to the pandemic.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
has there ever been any official explanation as to why some random British dude says "Turn A Gundam" at the start of every episode?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because it rocks, that's why.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
hell yeah it does, i'm just curious why they hired Tom Hardy to go Tuhn Ay Gundum

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Aww :sigh:. Not entirely unexpected, but still a sad thing to hear.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Million Ghosts posted:

has there ever been any official explanation as to why some random British dude says "Turn A Gundam" at the start of every episode?

So you know what show you're watching.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RillAkBea posted:

Sad but expected. It's happening to everything, I would've been surprised if Gundam wasn't affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

So you know what show you're watching.

Yep, same reason there's the little subtitle "Pronounced Turn A Gundam" underneath it.