Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I keep thinking about a passage from Europe's Tragedy about the prevailing attitudes leading up to the 30 Years War, about how the system of the HRE of having a political minority and political majority both being unsatisfied with the current system but holding on because there's faith in future success for either. But when that faith of future gains breaks down, that's all there was to hold the system together.

Let me see if I can find the exact passage

"The modern democratic state assumes responsibility for implementing decisions once they have been taken by majority vote. The dissenting minority now confront the full power of the state, and if they choose to resist, the situation can descend into violence as there is no legal basis for their failure to comply. . . . The minority continued to confront the majority . . . it was as if the process of decision-making was not yet complete and the majority view remained provisional until accepted by the minority. This situation was clearly problematic, as the dissenters could still hope to reverse unwelcome decisions completely, while the majority could grow frustrated if their opinion remained ignored. Constant postponement of controversial issues might render definitive arrangements impossible. . . . the chances of violence were greatly reduced as long as a compromise remained possible. . . while the Empire's inhabitants fought over the interpretation of the imperial constituion, they did not dispute its existence and it provided the framework within which they eventually made their peace"

Sound familiar?

We're at the point where compromise is impossible, and at least the right is beginning to make the argument that the constitution doesn't matter (remember that Op-ed from that chud law professor?) since they have achieved full power now.

however we're gonna make the 30YW look like sunshine and rainbows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Phi230 posted:

I keep thinking about a passage from Europe's Tragedy about the prevailing attitudes leading up to the 30 Years War, about how the system of the HRE of having a political minority and political majority both being unsatisfied with the current system but holding on because there's faith in future success for either. But when that faith of future gains breaks down, that's all there was to hold the system together.

Let me see if I can find the exact passage

"The modern democratic state assumes responsibility for implementing decisions once they have been taken by majority vote. The dissenting minority now confront the full power of the state, and if they choose to resist, the situation can descend into violence as there is no legal basis for their failure to comply. . . . The minority continued to confront the majority . . . it was as if the process of decision-making was not yet complete and the majority view remained provisional until accepted by the minority. This situation was clearly problematic, as the dissenters could still hope to reverse unwelcome decisions completely, while the majority could grow frustrated if their opinion remained ignored. Constant postponement of controversial issues might render definitive arrangements impossible. . . . the chances of violence were greatly reduced as long as a compromise remained possible. . . while the Empire's inhabitants fought over the interpretation of the imperial constituion, they did not dispute its existence and it provided the framework within which they eventually made their peace"

Sound familiar?

We're at the point where compromise is impossible, and at least the right is beginning to make the argument that the constitution doesn't matter (remember that Op-ed from that chud law professor?) since they have achieved full power now.

however we're gonna make the 30YW look like sunshine and rainbows

look at this babybrain thinking there’ll only be TWO sides.

this is America bitch, we’ll have so many factions you’ll have to keep a spreadsheet.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Much as historians regard the Crimean and American Civil wars as previews of the trends that made WW1 so destructive, Syria will come to be seen as the blueprint for the 21'st century global order.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Much as historians regard the Crimean and American Civil wars as previews of the trends that made WW1 so destructive, Syria will come to be seen as the blueprint for the 21'st century global order.

What are some good books about the Syrian civil war by the way? Any good guides on dealing with multiple warring factions and shifting alliances?

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

capitalism owns

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Guys. Guys. GUYS.

It's

C annibalistic
H umanoid
U nderground
D wellers

or C.H.U.D. for short. You can leave out the periods, like FBI: CHUD, but either way, come on, you gotta respect the IP.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
How is the Syrian civil war going during all this craziness? Has the virus teamed up with the Lion Assad?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

anime was right posted:

gonna be great when some local budding california warlord uses this thread as a way to determine strategic control positions for the new era

Gray Davis plots his revenge.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

goodbye Western Pact, hello FREEDOM STATE

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

slippery doc posted:

Let me guess, the liberal hell hole portion of that map contains 70% or so of the population of the state?

Just checking if it’s similar to Illinois, where down state blames everything on Chicago.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Orvin posted:

Let me guess, the liberal hell hole portion of that map contains 70% or so of the population of the state?

Just checking if it’s similar to Illinois, where down state blames everything on Chicago.

I think Seattle metro probably half the state population, so it’s significant but not really as nuts as Illinois where like you said I think upwards to almost three quarters of the state population are in Chicago metro

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Orvin posted:

every person in upstate ny blames nyc. everyone in nyc blames albany.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

albany is really bad in all fairness

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Orvin posted:

i did the numbers and "Liberal Hellhole" is 66% of the state
4,49,019 out of 6,746,000

Chicagoland is roughly 63% of Illinois

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Apr 26, 2020

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

its true

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Peanut President posted:

i did the numbers and "Liberal Hellhole" is 66% of the state
4,49,019 out of 6,746,000

it's also prob like 75% (?) of the state's economy

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

The only spots with noticable economic output outside of the Seattle metro area is that one nuke plant and maaaaybe Spokane if you want to be generous

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

we gotta consider the fact that in a balkanized nation, our idea of what "the economy" is gonna fundamentally change from services, finance, and software to something akin to "who can make machines, food, and guns real good"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Agean90 posted:

The only spots with noticable economic output outside of the Seattle metro area is that one nuke plant and maaaaybe Spokane if you want to be generous

central wa grows a lot of apples and hops, idk how significant that is tho

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

central wa grows a lot of apples and hops, idk how significant that is tho

I just assumed that was mostly reliant on Seattle area for buyers and lumped them into Seattle's economic zone

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

anime was right posted:

we gotta consider the fact that in a balkanized nation, our idea of what "the economy" is gonna fundamentally change from services, finance, and software to something akin to "who can make machines, food, and guns real good"

So, the PRC and FRG?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I would guess more than that. the two largest publically held corporations in the world are in that liberal hellhole

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New balk map

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

New balk map

I loving knew that Indiana and Ohio would betray the Midwestern Pact

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

SKULL.GIF posted:

New balk map

Indiana and Ohio are now kicked out of the Midwest, South Dakota is our new best friend 😤

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

slippery doc posted:

the leeward side of washington is a desolate wasteland, they can have it

we bury most of our garbage and nuclear waste there

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some alternatives

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

New balk map

gently caress you Iowa.

Tulip posted:

Some alternatives

Lol I'm sending this to all my friends in the STL Metro to tease them.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Agean90 posted:

the us navy goes rogue and the pacific territories get turned into some weird naval state who's central government is a constantly moving carrier group that never spends more than one month at any given port

lmao :rip: sovereign citizens

whats that about naval law not applying :smugdon:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ligma gold fringe

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

suck my screws

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

ah, the party coast vs the other one

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

what is this map? Overlaying the ranges of potentially dangerous wildlife with like 90% transparency over the US?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

what is this map? Overlaying the ranges of potentially dangerous wildlife with like 90% transparency over the US?

it’s a map of the likelihood of encountering a shade of blue

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

New balk map

Huh it's almost like the USA is lying in a pool of blood in this one I wonder why

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Watch out if you're in Los Angeles apparently. Who knew that pigeons could gently caress you up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Watch out if you're in Los Angeles apparently. Who knew that pigeons could gently caress you up

It's the mountain lions

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
all the pro balkanization people are right, all the anti balkanization people are wrong. allocate my damage points as appropriate

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

loving that fresh oceanic air in west virginia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Real hurthling! posted:

hi just want to parachute in to quote this

gently caress i'd expect parts of upstate to balkanize away from the rest of NY, its full of racists and nazis