Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Some people were bitching about balkanisation chat taking up the COVID thread so if we feel like that's getting too annoying, here's a place to talk about the inevitable fracturing of the United States into separate countries.

What is balkanisation?
The inevitable fracturing of the United States into separate countries. Did you just read the top sentence? Goddamn. But to put it in terms you can understand, America is like season 1 of the Real World and right now the federal government is Puck (wait was he season 2?) but unlike the Real World, the housemates who are getting tired of Puck's poo poo can move out and make their own houses.

Who in the US could possibly balkanise?
On April 13, the west coast states announced that they would be working together (with input from Minnesota for some reason) to prepare for any re-opening of the economy. This was seen as being in response to Trump's declarations in the days prior that he would have full power to determine when businesses across the states would re-open for business.

On that same day, a bunch of New England states and Pennsylvania basically said the same thing.

This isn't balkanisation, of course, but these actions can be seen as the first step in the states just starting to state "we don't give a gently caress what the federal government says because it's run like poo poo" which is basically what sovereignty comes down to when you think about it.

Wouldn't full balkanisation lead to full on civil war with guns and shooting?
I mean, lol, probably? But, then again, I mean - the current president is kind of a loving bitch.

How tormp reply
Screamed about an old movie, comparing himself to the villain, and probably did some jacking off to some nudes of his daughter

Feel free to use this space to talk about news stories about further state alliances that are defying the feds, or post some goofy maps about new possible divisions of the United States like this one:

you got it dude:

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

i would be in the eastern bloc, on the other hand it contains NJ kindof a wash

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ground floor

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ohrwurm posted:

i would be in the eastern bloc, on the other hand it contains NJ kindof a wash

That's a cb bitch

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

hell yeah lets do it

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
gently caress it. Lets do this.

https://twitter.com/yescalifornia/status/1249858524345257985?s=21

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've always wanted to live in Minnesota, I guess I'll escape to there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
psyched to live in the republic of Texas

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I am a citizen of the Western Pact

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
As a Californian Nationalist, we must build a wall to keep the conservatives out.

thewoof
Sep 11, 2006

My eyes are the eyes
of a dead man.
I feel the unholy stream.

Green Party should lean more into bioregionalism imo

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

posting from what will be the Indiana Grimlands

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I figure the most likely is a couple states e.g. California declare independence, and then get immediately chumped and turned into colonial plantations with second-class citizenship ala Puerto Rico. Second most likely is a Bangladesh breaking off from Pakistan situation, and then we've got ourselves a nice cool Operation Searchlight on our hands.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Tulip posted:

I figure the most likely is a couple states e.g. California declare independence, and then get immediately chumped and turned into colonial plantations with second-class citizenship ala Puerto Rico. Second most likely is a Bangladesh breaking off from Pakistan situation, and then we've got ourselves a nice cool Operation Searchlight on our hands.

imo if it happens itd be because the federal government has devolved into a snow crash style rump joke that just issues hyper inflated currency

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A4R8 posted:

As a Californian Nationalist, we must build a wall to keep the conservatives out.

Emperor Norton I of California had the right idea

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
To have the whole West Coast would be cool. Cascadia is a pretty name :)

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it will literally be New England and Pennsylvanian VS the rest of the states

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and california.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

i look forward to my Minnesotan breathren allying with our WCP comrades

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thump! posted:

i look forward to my Minnesotan breathren allying with our WCP comrades

come to our side. ICP comrades are much better

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Farm Frenzy posted:

imo if it happens itd be because the federal government has devolved into a snow crash style rump joke that just issues hyper inflated currency

Seems obvious that the West Coast will be a big PRC protectorate/puppet state, Alaska will just get annexed outright by Russia, and Mexico will seize a bunch of turf. The east coast is a little tougher, do we think France and Germany have the energy to carve up NY and Virginia and stuff into plantations or will they wuss out?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Warring City-States fighting over America's ruins

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Posting from the South Florida Cuban Territory

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Will be living the dream in the Great Plains Republic

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
posting from the great nation-state of california and/or cascadia depending on how things shake out

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TwoStepBoog posted:

Will be living the dream in the Great Plains Republic

middle america always has the biggest things. So much room. I'm jealous

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

checking in from the pacific states of america

used to think balkanization was dumb and would hurt too many red state people but gently caress it i'm tired of the lovely loving u s of a so balkanize me!!!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Blakanisation owns I want to join Canada and then move to Quebec and declare independence again

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Tulip posted:

Seems obvious that the West Coast will be a big PRC protectorate/puppet state, Alaska will just get annexed outright by Russia, and Mexico will seize a bunch of turf. The east coast is a little tougher, do we think France and Germany have the energy to carve up NY and Virginia and stuff into plantations or will they wuss out?

Mexico can't even seize its own territory; if like Arizona or Texas falls under anyone it'll be the cartels directly.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Blakanisation owns I want to join Canada and then move to Quebec and declare independence again

lol. burn down the white house again

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You guys are crazy if you think that California would be some kind of social-democratic utopia if it was its own country. Have you seen our Democrats? We are the state that kneecapped its ability to raise taxes just to continue to give tax breaks to homeowners. It would be a crappy centrist liberal democracy, with all the many many known crappy centrist liberal democracy problems.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Please add to the Op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7eSc1pRDCc

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

You guys are crazy if you think that California would be some kind of social-democratic utopia if it was its own country. Have you seen our Democrats? We are the state that kneecapped its ability to raise taxes just to continue to give tax breaks to homeowners. It would be a crappy centrist liberal democracy, with all the many many known crappy centrist liberal democracy problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1dPKfxRhk0

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I would actually kind of like to see California go through with independence just so I could watch the reactions as Californians realized that the US wasn't about to just let them walk away with everything that was in California.

- San Diego would stay in the US as a Hong Kong type territory; lol if you think the US would give up that naval port.
-everyone who works for someone like Northrup Grumman or other military contractors would need to prepare to move to, like, Nevada or find new jobs
-many of them will be suprised that the previous statement also applies to Google and a ton of tech companies
-the realization that the new nation won't be California at all but a Chile-like little sliver of coast since the interior counties are all likely to go "lol gently caress you we're staying in the US"

it would be fun to watch

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
if you want to read about balkanization in history, I recommend reading up on the breakup of Yugoslavia of course, but also the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire, and the collapse of the Soviet Union (all wikipedia links)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Until California can tell that Walnut family to kick rocks and grow something more productive and less water-intensive, lmao at balkanization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Looking forward to life in the newly re-acquired Alyeska Oblast