Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks everyone, my kids are interested in how the world gets leadedrs and wars and stuff, and this game feels like a good way to show the nuts and bolts to them.

Just to circle back to this, I'm just gonna throw out there that there's a reason why this game ends where it does, and Hearts of Iron (despite being a WWII-specific game on the surface) is probably a better choice to give them an idea of how more modern geopolitics work.

CK2 is fun as hell, and they will get a better understanding of Dark Ages history from it, but a lot of that isn't gonna be applicable to the modern day except in either the absolute broadest possible sense or in nitty-gritty Epstein-brain stuff (the Trumps will suddenly make a lot of sense, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government
Nov 2, 2004
Had to go over my mods since i haven't played in quite a while and I love that nearly 10 years in people are still making ridiculous stuff in the workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2067673568&searchtext=

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Government posted:

Had to go over my mods since i haven't played in quite a while and I love that nearly 10 years in people are still making ridiculous stuff in the workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2067673568&searchtext=
That actually ... sounds good?

Huh

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Just made it all the way through an 876 start to the end. Final score was around 228,000. My Wendish Empire covered pretty much the entire Baltic coast into modern day Estonia and extended down through Belarus and into Ukraine (I think I owned Chernobyl lol). I took the entire Danish peninsula and the tip of Sandinavia. To the West I had several French counties and all of modern day Switzerland. I was able to connect down to the Adriatic Sea by taking a few Italian counties, so Europe couldn't be crossed by land without crossing the Empire. Had a duchy in modern day Georgia-Armenia and another duchy in Iraq. Also had a couple of counties around Jerusalem. A few other holdings scattered around. My last Emperor died a year out from the finish, so I ended with a regency.

I'm sure this is nothing and experienced players take over the whole map in like 300 years. But it was cool learning from the ground up. I started with two counties on the Elbe. Modern day Dresden.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Just to circle back to this, I'm just gonna throw out there that there's a reason why this game ends where it does, and Hearts of Iron (despite being a WWII-specific game on the surface) is probably a better choice to give them an idea of how more modern geopolitics work.

CK2 is fun as hell, and they will get a better understanding of Dark Ages history from it, but a lot of that isn't gonna be applicable to the modern day except in either the absolute broadest possible sense or in nitty-gritty Epstein-brain stuff (the Trumps will suddenly make a lot of sense, for example).

It could be useful in the really broad sense of the importance of interpersonal relationships or the difference between power on paper and power in reality.

Also a good way of encouraging them to study and get good stats or else.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just made it all the way through an 876 start to the end.

I’m genuinely impressed. Not with your in game achievements but the fact you actually finished the timeline. I’ve had this game for years and closest I’ve got to a finish is the 14th Century.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, congrats, I'm nowhere near patient enough for that. I hit empire and never bother loading that save again. :effort:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Weavered posted:

I’m genuinely impressed. Not with your in game achievements but the fact you actually finished the timeline. I’ve had this game for years and closest I’ve got to a finish is the 14th Century.

i have over 1200 hours in this game and i have never, not once, seen the end screen

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I got real bored the last 100 years of the game. Had my game speed cranked up most of the time when I couldn't think of an interesting objective. Once you hit Empire, your vassal kings do most of the expanding for you. The last thing I did was yoink an Italian county so I could say I covered Europe North to South.

Going from kingdom to Empire was surprisingly short. I did it in one ruler's lifetime with over 200 years of game timeline left. I basically had Pomerania, a few German counties, and 30% of Poland, and just pushed aggressively East for 50 years to gobble up the de jure territory. I enjoyed and felt more accomplished becoming King though, and the century after that protecting what I'd built and acquiring all the de jure stuff.. The AI just clowns on itself eventually so most of the land around you is divided up and easy to pick off.

Edit: Anyway, I'm probably done with the game. I'm not going to buy any DLC for it, but I will look forward to CK3.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 27, 2020

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I've taken an 867 game all the way to 1820 in EU. Largely because my final ruler was immortal, and I wanted to see how crazy I could get.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks. I figured it out by clicking repeatedly on the fleet which let's me go through each ship.
Something you'll want to learn early is to merge everything. Merge your armies so they all march at the same speed and fight together, merge your fleets so you don't have exactly this issue and also because if you have a bunch of tiny ship groups, you can only board armies big enough to fit on each discrete group. There's a big difference between being able to board ten 1500 size armies and being able to board 15,000 men.

AnEdgelord posted:

How do you win close battles in this game? I know bigger number trumps everything after a certain point but I've been losing a lot of fights with no terrain modifiers where I outnumber the enemy by ~400-600 troops and have relatively skilled generals

Edit: To clarify a bit more, this happened in my Ireland game against England and in my Hungary game against Pecheneg
Commanders are the most important thing. Then, I think, troop composition (the professional soldiers of retinues or mercs are worth way more than the peasants with pointy sticks of most levies), terrain advantages, and also don't forget tech -- your military tech has a bunch of bonuses to certain unit types, enough to provide a noticable edge when you're beating up on stupider neighbors.

And of course rule 1 is Have More Dudes.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Won a lotta holy wars for the pope and he doesn’t like me enough, kinda wanna convert to paganism and kick his rear end next

Does the pope ever stop snap-excommunicating you if you invade the Papal States as a catholic?

Like will he eventually learn to love me as his liege lord after a couple new popes?

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 28, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the pope will always want the de jure papal states provinces returned to him, but beyond that, yes, the pope after the one you vassalize will basically accept you as the status quo. the one you vassalize will probably hate you until the end of his days.

so make sure he only has a few.

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Like will he eventually learn to love me as his liege lord after a couple new popes?

Assassinate them until you get one that likes you.

You can also try and get a family member to become pope!

My uncle was the pope once. he liked me and as an added bonus he didn't even touch me :lolplant:

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Is it normal for playing nomad to seem ponderously slow? I'm playing my first game as nomads in the Mongolia region and I took the better part of 6 months for my all-cavalry army just to cross from one side of my 4-duchy kingdom to another.Even worse I almost ragequit for the first time in thousands of hours of play because a random religious revolt two provinces away from my main army also took about half a year round-trip to deal with.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think because a lot of the steppe provinces represent a very large geographic area movement can slow down quite significantly.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

JustaDamnFool posted:

I think because a lot of the steppe provinces represent a very large geographic area movement can slow down quite significantly.

ahhh, giving me flashbacks to the Siberian Ping-Pong in HOI2

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Pick one that’s closer to Europe or the Middle East to avoid the massive provinces. The Magyars, near Hungary, in the Old Gods/ Viking Age start will move a lot quicker.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Weavered posted:

Pick one that’s closer to Europe or the Middle East to avoid the massive provinces. The Magyars, near Hungary, in the Old Gods/ Viking Age start will move a lot quicker.

The Magyars are also really nice if you decide to settle down, because you can build a massive retinue of just light cavalry with their cultural retinue. Their tribal retinue is decent too, 50 light cav + 25 horse archers for 75 prestige.

If you stay nomadic, moving your capital to western or southern Europe for the pure knight retinue is easy, and is how you completely break any semblance of balance for nomads.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New CK3 dev diary - Fervor, Religious Hostility, and Doctrine Showcase.

Seems like a fun system if they can get the balance right between the rise and fall of various faiths.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's seems like a good change. Since fervor works almost the reverse of MA it's sort of a anti-religion-blobbing mechanic.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm curious how antipopes will affect it (assuming antipopes are still a mechanic in CK3). I would assume they hurt it pretty significantly, but with the way the mechanic is described and how it recovers a bit if a heresy shows up, you might end up with a funny situation where there are a bunch of antipopes around but everyone has just kind of.... gotten used to it fervor is still high.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm running on 1k hours in CK2, is it weird that I'm not hyped at all over CK3?

Every single thing I've read of it's development leaves me cold. Is my hype dysfunctional?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i'm excited about what seem to be the greater robustness of the family and relationship and civil war systems. the create your own religion stuff? not so much -- although there is great modding potential there.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 29, 2020

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

AnEdgelord posted:

How do you win close battles in this game? I know bigger number trumps everything after a certain point but I've been losing a lot of fights with no terrain modifiers where I outnumber the enemy by ~400-600 troops and have relatively skilled generals

Edit: To clarify a bit more, this happened in my Ireland game against England and in my Hungary game against Pecheneg

in addition to what others have said, morale is pretty important in close battles because when a flank's morale gets busted to zero they rout - actual physical losses are almost less important because when a flank routs there's a massive bonus for 3 on 2 battles

this means you might be better off with lesser commanders who have good morale traits (either morale bonuses for you or morale damage to the enemy) because they'll hold out just a bit longer than the enemy's and win the flank despite taking more losses

a relatively high risk, high reward strategy for close battles is intentionally weakening one flank and concentrating your troops one of the other two - make sure the commander on the weak flank has traits that give bonuses to 'narrow flank,' when narrow flank triggers in combat that'll mean the commander's smaller army has bottlenecked the enemy army and they'll fight on even terms no matter how lopsided the original numbers were... in the end the narrow flank leader will hold out against an enemy while your stronger flank easily routs his and you can win the overall battle that way

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm curious how antipopes will affect it (assuming antipopes are still a mechanic in CK3). I would assume they hurt it pretty significantly, but with the way the mechanic is described and how it recovers a bit if a heresy shows up, you might end up with a funny situation where there are a bunch of antipopes around but everyone has just kind of.... gotten used to it fervor is still high.

Pretty sure they confirmed no antipopes at launch.

Overall I’m really looking forward to the game based on what they’ve shown so far. In part just to get in on CK at launch rather than many years/DLCs later, but a lot of the mechanics look fun and really open to neat mods. I’ve also come around a lot on the 3D models.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I know this is a minor thing to sell me on the game, but goddamn if that's not something I've wanted in CK2 for so long.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Stewardship malus is very close to dealbreaker for me

clearly the work of the demiurge

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Ok, I'm really starting to get frustrated.

I'm currently (still) an independent chief of Ormond (formerly known as Urmhumhain, what caused the name to change?). My uncle is another independent chief over a neighboring county. Being family, I had a strong claim on that county, so I declared war, and I double-checked, the war declaration screen said my guy would gain the title over that county should we win.

And we *did* win, but then one of my other uncles got the title over that county instead. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Also I no longer have the option to switch to tanistry inheritance. It's not just grayed out due to missing conditions, it's not even shown on the screen. The only option now is elective gavelkind. I'm still tribal, nothing has really changed. What is going on?

edit: Does buying/installing expansions break save-files? Specifically Conclave

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 29, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Conclave changes a ton of laws so likely.
There's a ton of conditionals in the definitions that tries to be flexible around ownership of it, but there's probably slippages.

Though tanistry not showing shouldn't be related to that since iirc it doesn't have any conclave hooks. Did you have a recent inheritance with a different culture? Since those that never will qualify from not being correct culture will remove it from the list

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 29, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Everything I hear about the religion system makes me want it more.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sounds like you changed culture, which would both change the county name and deny you Tanistry.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eh! Frank posted:

I'm currently (still) an independent chief of Ormond (formerly known as Urmhumhain, what caused the name to change?).

lurksion posted:

Did you have a recent inheritance with a different culture? Since those that never will qualify from not being correct culture will remove it from the list

megane posted:

Sounds like you changed culture, which would both change the county name and deny you Tanistry.

Yep, that would be the case
code:
			c_ormond = {
				color={ 95 221 121 }
				color2={ 255 255 255 }

norwegian = Vedrafjord
				swedish = Vedrafjord
				danish = Vedrafjord
				norse = Veðrafjorðr
				irish = Urmhumhain

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

lurksion posted:

Conclave changes a ton of laws so likely.
There's a ton of conditionals in the definitions that tries to be flexible around ownership of it, but there's probably many slippages.

Though tanistry not showing shouldn't be related to that since iirc it doesn't have any conclave hooks. Did you have a recent inheritance with a different culture? Since those that never will qualify from not being correct culture will remove it from the list

megane posted:

Yeah, I wasn't paying close enough attention, and turns out my current guy is Germanic. Both his parents were Celtic though, I need to look at his family tree some more to figure out what happened. He did spend most his life elsewhere in Europe for some reason up until he inherited, still not sure why he was there. Guess I made some beginner's gently caress-up and wasn't paying attention to culture and where my guy was sending his family. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Googling confirmed that installing Conclave messes up games-in-progress, so I'm gonna start a new one. I wasn't too far along, third or fourth generation, and I'm picking up on things I think. I appreciate the help in this thread!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Eh! Frank posted:

Yeah, I wasn't paying close enough attention, and turns out my current guy is Germanic. Both his parents were Celtic though, I need to look at his family tree some more to figure out what happened. He did spend most his life elsewhere in Europe for some reason up until he inherited, still not sure why he was there. Guess I made some beginner's gently caress-up and wasn't paying attention to culture and where my guy was sending his family. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Googling confirmed that installing Conclave messes up games-in-progress, so I'm gonna start a new one. I wasn't too far along, third or fourth generation, and I'm picking up on things I think. I appreciate the help in this thread!

Sounds like he got tutored by a German person (with Heritage education) and picked up their culture that way. There should be a decision in the intrigue menu to adopt the local Irish culture, though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Technowolf posted:

There should be a decision in the intrigue menu to adopt the local Irish culture, though.

Doesn't that require Rajas?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Coolguye posted:

the pope will always want the de jure papal states provinces returned to him, but beyond that, yes, the pope after the one you vassalize will basically accept you as the status quo. the one you vassalize will probably hate you until the end of his days.

so make sure he only has a few.
How the hell are you vassalizing Popes? The way I do it is pass free investiture, pick a random family member and put him in line for a bishopric, kill the old guy, declare my distant cousin an Antipope, then press his claim on the Papacy. Under that system the Pope you vassalize will love you forever no matter what you do or how many bullshit claims you ask for, because he's got "Pressed my claim" and "Granted me a kingdom" opinion bonuses on you.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't see a problem with vassalizing popes, am I missing something?..

I only did it once in my latest game. Just pass Free Investiture and make someone anti-pope - the only problem is you need to have a duke-tier bishop as a direct vassal and if you're big bad emperor you're probably directly working with kings and you rarely have priest-king. Then you get a CB on a pope, and since your anti-pope is already your vassal he's still a vassal when you make him the only pope. I mean what do you gain from putting family member there and risking a murder scheme apart from a small opinion bonus? Don't you get "Pressed my claim" boost anyway maxing out the opinion? How else would you conquer a pope as a Catholic? Do you just invade Italy, get his lands province by province and claim the kingship of Papal States?

Having pope as a vassal felt overrated to me. Your control over him is weaker than EU4 papal controller: I think he can still excommunicate you. And the pope makes future coronations hard, he asks for the independence and then sulks.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Do you just invade Italy, get his lands province by province and claim the kingship of Papal States?
This bit won't work. The Papal States is a distinct king-level title from the Papacy itself (it's the middle chunk of Italy, and is called the Kingdom of Romagna when held by anyone but the pope), so you'd just take that from him and he'd keep the Papacy and remain independent. Pressing an antipope's claim is, as far as I know, the only way to get a vassal pope.

e: The benefit of having the pope be a member of your dynasty is that you and every other member of your dynasty get a bunch of prestige over time for being related to him (maybe piety too, I forget). Of course the Papacy isn't hereditary, so this'll only last for his lifetime, but still. He doesn't need to be your vassal, you can just make your virtuous theologian of a cousin into a priest and then use bribery murder diplomacy to get the cardinals to elect him.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man the generational game is hard to play. Ragnarr Lothbrok did his thing and united the kingdoms of Sweden, Noregr and Denmark, and now his lovely rear end son Asbjørn Dust-Biter (I know, right?) has to retake most of it from his brothers and sister - and I say most of it, because he doesn't have an automatic claim on all of it through his father :eng99: Ah well, out with the sword again.