Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As someone who has played in more than one Technocracy campaign, them being bad and wrong is absolutely the point. A key feature is that individual Technocrats absolutely are providing services that materially help lots of people in the world of darkness. It is when you keep expanding good things to the point where they become evil. And that isn't even when you realize all the bad things are a monolithic nightmare that is impossible to change.

Being well intentioned but helpless to stop doing atrocities you believe are kinda justified is absolutely a form of horror. At the same time having a split between good and bad technocrats really misses the point. Being cut off from Control to let there be more straight up heroic Technocrats was one of the worst takes.

The Technocracy is just the Wyrm, with a nice suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, I liked the Wyrm because it reminded me a bit of 40K Chaos.

The Technocracy is the Imperium.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, I liked the Wyrm because it reminded me a bit of 40K Chaos.

The Technocracy is the Imperium.

Because the setting needed to get even more hosed.

Edit: Now i'm picturing some mad wizard scientist in his space station trying to call an exterminatus on Dallas because Pentex opened up a new corporate headquarters there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Archonex posted:

Because the setting needed to get even more hosed.

Edit: Now i'm picturing some mad wizard scientist in his space station trying to call an exterminatus on Dallas because Pentex opened up a new corporate headquarters there.
To be fair to the Technocracy, Dallas sucks.

I think the Technocracy is mostly incoherent if you aren't coming at it from this particular vision which is not actually super universal, and if you don't, it kind of vaguely wobbles over to "Federal Agencies? Like in Men in Black or something? Well... science is good..." Plus you get all the metaphysical issues from Ascension in general where the game rules tell you your character's a bamboozled clown.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

What I find interesting is that both people here and elsewhere agree that oMage is totally 90s and even "outdated" in a political sense.

And yet I've only followed the World of Darkness since 2019 and, even in that short time and for all Mage is supposedly outdated, it gets argued about more than anything else I've seen.

I like WoD but my mood fluctuates. My interest came back to WoD because I'm watching The X-Files. They're both quintessentially 90s and embody a certain spirit or mindset. People talk about "things are totally different now" and in some sense that is true. Culture and politics have shifted a lot. But culture and politics are just human inventions and humans don't radically change, especially not that fast. Everything that was relevant in the 90s isn't just not relevant now. In the span of history, the 90s was yesterday. Even if the world envisioned by the Old World of Darkness and the ideas it promotes seem passe now, I'd bet anything they will be in vogue again in our own lifetimes. And that's assuming they are as outmoded as people say they are.

One of the problems with M: tAs is that it takes the Zeitgeist of the 90s and, instead of treating it as something mutable, calcifies it into something eternal and unchanging. The Hollow Ones are a good example: a goth Tradition may have looked like a good idea in the 90s, but this subculture is pretty much dead 30 years later. And M20 still treats them like they were the hot poo poo.

Same thing with the "End of History" premise. It's obvious in the retrospect that it was a temporary lull and that something is going to fill the void after the Cold War. But the writers have already made their world-spanning giant conspiracy of neoliberal mages and gave them a backstory that starts in Renaissance. There is not much that can be done about it. That's why the organization which were steamrolling their opposition for 600 years suddenly realizes they had lost to a bunch of wizard satanists and gets retconned into something less sinister. The Seers are better antagonists, because they are fragmented and conflicted – so a sudden paradigm shift is less jarring.

And there is also the issue of M:tAs not aging well in the same sense that Duke Nukem 3D didn't age well: poo poo that used to fly in the 90s doesn't now. Stuff like every shaman in the world belonging to the Dreamspeakers, a Tradition of mostly Asian martial artists, or a Craft of Arabian Nights stereotypes are now cringeworthy – and not easy to change, because the Traditions are calcified and given elaborate backstories in the previous editions. It's also much harder to cheer for faith healers, quacks and shamans now, when antivaxxers became a problem.

Really, M:tAs wrote itself into a corner and it doesn't help that the guy who got tasked with writing the newest edition seems to be still living in the 90s.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gantolandon posted:

And there is also the issue of M:tAs not aging well in the same sense that Duke Nukem 3D didn't age well: poo poo that used to fly in the 90s doesn't now.

The exact same thing applies to all the main World of Darkness games, they were a product of their time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Several bonus emergent problems:

The game actually goes against this "consensus and paradigm" thing in a couple of key ways, one of which is that Correspondence is presented as a literal, and true, description of how spatial relationships work. You also get the peculiarities of things like "the void engineers find a Dreamspeaker squatting and chilling next to a fire on the surface of Ganymede," which is a very cool image, but begs the question: Doesn't that suggest that the Void Engineers are actually completely wrong about everything?

void engineer paradigm destroyed by a lagomorph

Another was the general weirdness that the Spheres were structured in a way which pretty much endorsed the Hermetic structure of understanding reality despite a plurality of the game's actual magical societies all having broadly compatible "technological" paradigms. Wack!

Angry Lobster posted:

The exact same thing applies to all the main World of Darkness games, they were a product of their time.
I think the degree varies. Vampire almost created a new epoch of vampire fiction. Wraith stands on its own although the Jungian concepts in it may come and go. Werewolf is at least a novel beast.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vampire seems to still be going strong but what of the other lines/settings? How popular are they?

I understand that "why you gotta be political, bro?" is a stupid attitude to take for a series so clearly intended to have political commentary. But for average players, does the 90s-ness of the various series really impact them?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Nessus posted:

I think the degree varies. Vampire almost created a new epoch of vampire fiction. Wraith stands on its own although the Jungian concepts in it may come and go. Werewolf is at least a novel beast.

Yeah, outside of MTA, I'd say werewolf is probably the most vulnerable to looking dated, because of the particular neopagan and noble savage tropes that were within it. Even those aren't as hard baked into the central premise as much as some of MTA's less favorable aspects.

It also helps in the "big 5" lines that the 20th anniversary editions usually devoted some time to either rewriting or updating things that hadn't aged as well. The exception being MTA, which seems full of Brucato doubling down on bad decisions and whining that people didn't get the "genius" of many of the bad rules from the time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Huh, there was apparently some drama on Twitch or some other thing about what to include in your games. I dunno what game it was, I don't think it was White Wolf. Maybe ti was D&D. All I recall is that it was a TTRPG and a lot of folks were arguing about what the person in charge should have included.

I bring this up because a few folks I watch were talking about it a week or two ago and it instantly came to mind as I was rereading Book of the Wyrm 20th Anniversary Edition.

quote:

KNOW THE LIMITS

The Book of the Wyrm includes a lot of disturbing subjects, from body-horror to necrophilia, from child abuse to sexual violence. Bringing these topics up in the context of a game can cause real problems for the people involved. Whether you’re a player or a Storyteller, talk to everyone you’re playing with and ask them one simple question: Is there any subject you’re not comfortable with the game touching on? If anyone says yes, listen to them. Don’t ask for an explanation — some people will back down if you insist they justify their discomfort, playing along while the story you’re telling makes them feel like poo poo. Just skip right past that element. Don’t put it in the game. Likewise, everyone should know that they can say when something that comes up in the game makes them uncomfortable, and you’ll cut that element out. Again, don’t ask questions. Whatever it is, it’s not worth including.

I don't actually play these games, I'm just a lore fan. But this was a cool thing for them to include. Also this was published all the way back in 2014 so they kinda preempted that entire argument and drama.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ferrinus posted:

If the game is to represent the combination of expertise and ideology as magic,

This, right here, is the whole problem though -- because it elides the distinction between expertise and ideology.

Awakening is better than Ascension because Ascension's solution is ultimately "eh, it's all ideology" while Awakening's solution is "it's all expertise, except for the literal diegetic ideology, which is in fact ideology."

(e: The problem with Awakening is that some of the stuff it pegs as expertise is actually ideology -- see any of our past arguments about "Wisdom" -- but at least it's trying instead of throwing up its hands and giving up.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 27, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't actually play these games, I'm just a lore fan. But this was a cool thing for them to include. Also this was published all the way back in 2014 so they kinda preempted that entire argument and drama.

You fit right in don't be shy to post

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This, right here, is the whole problem though -- because it elides the distinction between expertise and ideology.

Awakening is better than Ascension because Ascension's solution is ultimately "eh, it's all ideology" while Awakening's solution is "it's all expertise, except for the literal diegetic ideology, which is in fact ideology."

(e: The problem with Awakening is that some of the stuff it pegs as expertise is actually ideology -- see any of our past arguments about "Wisdom" -- but at least it's trying instead of throwing up its hands and giving up.)

Too true. To quoted famous trad games poster "Ferrinus" from like five pages ago tops, Ascension is about ideology, but Awakening is about theory, and that's why Awakening is the superior game.

What's funny is that every individual aspect of Ascension's epic gonzo '90s antisemitism could be easily included in Awakening as a story element, even as specifically specifically as a Seer plot, but the reason the Seers would be doing it would specifically be to divide, demoralize, and confuse people and not because they actually feel the need to use fluoride to dilute your masculine essence or whatever.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ferrinus posted:

Too true. To quoted famous trad games poster "Ferrinus" from like five pages ago tops, Ascension is about ideology, but Awakening is about theory, and that's why Awakening is the superior game.

What's funny is that every individual aspect of Ascension's epic gonzo '90s antisemitism could be easily included in Awakening as a story element, even as specifically specifically as a Seer plot, but the reason the Seers would be doing it would specifically be to divide, demoralize, and confuse people and not because they actually feel the need to use fluoride to dilute your masculine essence or whatever.

This does suggest a hilarious Seers use for the cryptid reptiliods, which are one of my favorite Chronicles bestiary entries. They're adorable human-mimicking scavengers and cowards, with no giant conspiracy whatsoever, but Seers intentionally increasing their population purely as a baffling smokescreen does make my smile as a concept.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna play in a Mage game one of these days. That would be fun.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Demon's Storyteller Guide is a pretty solid book -- more for the campaign advice than for the new mechanical options, though. Virtually all of the Demon supplements have absolutely wild power creep going on.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The Players Guide also has a lot of stuff on how demons think, feel, and behave, goes into detail on Agencies - and a great section on infrastructure. I've run Demon a fair amount over the years, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Belated thanks for the replies. (And sorry for not responding earlier; was away from the forums again for a couple of weeks.) Sounds like I've got a lot of reading to do.

I'd had a pretty firm idea in mind for the first story of the chronicle, but as I've been reading the Demon materials I've realized there's one element of the story that may not work. I guess I'll know more once I finish reading all the books, but I figure I may as well ask now so I can start thinking of alternatives as necessary...

Basically, one significant NPC was going to apparently be a demon whose Cover was a movie star. But now as I get more familiar with the setting I'm getting the feeling that a demon having such a high-profile Cover may be... kind of unworkable. He was going to keep his powers and nature low-key, rarely use any Embeds or Exploits, never take his full demon form, and basically be very careful about never attracting the God-Machine's attention, but even so, I'm increasingly unsure whether it makes sense for a demon to have a famous Cover at all. For those more familiar with the setting, is this something that's at all plausible, or should I start thinking about alternatives for that element of the story? (I guess the story could work if he's a stigmatic instead of a demon, but that does remove some possible complications I kind of liked.)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A famous actor as a Cover would be fantastic for a bunch of reasons:
- You have a reason to draw attention to yourself in public spaces, without it actually being about You
- You have a reason to fly all over the place doing secretive poo poo
- You have potential access to lots of resources (and big-R Resources)
- If you want to make pacts with people, being a famous celebrity is unfortunately one of the most plausible lower-case-c covers for "if you give me this thing or do this thing for me, I will make your dreams come true"
- All the fun complications that come from having to do a bunch of stupid poo poo to uphold your Cover, like sitting in on table reads and being late to an op because you had to do like 40 takes of one shot

Plus, you can explain away a ton of stupid and weird behavior as being Method for a role (whether or not the movie exists)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Plus, you can explain away a ton of stupid and weird behavior as being Method for a role (whether or not the movie exists)

This was my immediate thought on hearing the concept

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jerik posted:

For those more familiar with the setting, is this something that's at all plausible, or should I start thinking about alternatives for that element of the story? (I guess the story could work if he's a stigmatic instead of a demon, but that does remove some possible complications I kind of liked.)

Demons aren't perfectly rational emotionless machines, they just have voluntary control of whether they visibly express emotion. Maybe it's his original cover and he likes being that person. Maybe there's something or someone who he only has access to through that cover and the risk is worth it. (In addition to all the potential ameliorating factors everyone else mentioned.)

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.
Ah, good. Sounds like I can keep that element of the story after all without it coming across as absurd; that's good to know. Thanks all for the advice.

Now to get back to reading the Demon books...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jerik posted:

Ah, good. Sounds like I can keep that element of the story after all without it coming across as absurd; that's good to know. Thanks all for the advice.

Now to get back to reading the Demon books...

also he could be compromised and and the God-Machine is allowing him to operate in plain sight as bait

and even if this isn't true you could make it look like it might be

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

And anyway if it was his original cover and he's good with operational security (and, as an NPC, you can just say he is) there'd really never be a reason for the G-M to look into him. Most actors aren't secretly demons!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I really like crossover stuff. Which villain groups from across the various lines are natural allies or enemies?

The Wyrm for example has people who serve it among mages and vampires and maybe other lines I'm not familiar with.

I'm less certain about natural enemies, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

So I really like crossover stuff. Which villain groups from across the various lines are natural allies or enemies?

The Wyrm for example has people who serve it among mages and vampires and maybe other lines I'm not familiar with.

Technically no vampire faction outright serves the Wyrm, although there are a couple who sit on Pentex's board of directors. Black Spiral Dancers sometimes find common cause with the Sabbat, but usually only if they're both having trouble with Gaian werewolves. They've just got different stuff to do most times. The same with the changelings' Shadow Court (actually the Black Court, which is the part that was taken over by the Thallain which are as close to the fae's version of Black Spirals as it gets). Specters only serve Oblivion itself, although you can make deals with the more self-aware ones.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 28, 2020

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

Technically no vampire faction outright serves the Wyrm, although there are a couple who sit on Pentex's board of directors. Black Spiral Dancers sometimes find common cause with the Sabbat, but usually only if they're both having trouble with Gaian werewolves. They've just got different stuff to do most times. The same with the changelings' Shadow Court (actually the Black Court, which is the part that was taken over by the Thallain which are as close to the fae's version of Black Spirals as it gets). Specters only serve Oblivion itself, although you can make deals with the more self-aware ones.

The whole Black Court/House Balor, hanging out with Black Spirals was always ridiculous to me because by the old rules, Changelings in no way could stand with them. It wasn't just, we work with them sometimes, it was, "We go to their moots and hang out with them at Hives." It was a big dissonance in rules and fluff, mainly that Changeling's rules were unfinished garbage.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Metapod posted:

What? This loving dipshit deserved it let me tell you what what he did and a little background to set the scene. This player wanted to make a character representing of him so I let him make a paraplegic Chinese malk as he is a paraplegic with an interest in Chinese history. I really thought he could handle it he is veteran player he understands better than anyone the limits of a wheelchair and yet this guy would use obfuscate to move into the middle of the battlefield to yell a one liner in Chinese before doing his sneak attack. Now what youre probably thinking is this is going to end with some sick battle that ends in bad dice luck. You are very wrong he first makes an enemy out of the Chicago malk primogen by attacking him at the primogens own party then a session passes the group does the task that needed to be done but he had to use a lot of blood to do it. It was like 1 am plenty of moon left and he decides to go to his haven okay that's fine i give this guy two good chances to feed on the way home but decides against it. Again that's fine maybe he wants to feed on a specific person nope he went straight to bed at hunger 5 wakes up fails his rouse goes straight to torpor in a house he specifically told me that no one in the coterie would know about with a powerful enemy on his rear end.

I can't believe you'd punish your players in such a way for making repeated, grave mistakes

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Metapod posted:

Please tell me what the proper action is when a pc goes into torpor in an unknown location because he didn't feed with plenty of night left after you give him two great chances on the way home and the session all this after he attacked the malk primogen because he wanted to start a coup

Lol every time you punish players you're forcibly arresting their role play. Tbqh whenever you cause damage to a PC you make all the players sad and unable to play comfortably

Maybe you should consider letting your players do whatever they want whenever they want with no fear of danger. You're call, storyteller

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

NikkolasKing posted:

Does it matter if it's World or Chronicles?

World has the Nephandi, mages who serve various dark masters as means of a spiritual path of abasement. The list of possible dark powers calls out Werewolf's lords of Malfeas and Wraith's Neverborn. Apophis in the Mummy books is just another face for the Wyrm.

In Chronicles, Mage's Seers of the Throne and Demon's God-Machine have very congruent goals in terms of their effects on the Fallen World, and the Exarchs and angels sometimes mass their servants to aid one another for reasons the Seers are not privileged to know. Werewolf's Lords of the Wounds have been suggested to be the same as the demons of the Inferno, though the 2e overhaul in Shunned by the Moon may have undone this?

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, yes, I completely forgot that both Changeling and Werewolf have something called Fomorians (lower case for Werewolf) but while both groups are aware of both kinds if you decide they exist in your setting, there's also a strong "that's really not what we're talking about" vibe.

The Wyrm-warped mutants were called fomori, not fomorians.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 28, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The whole Black Court/House Balor, hanging out with Black Spirals was always ridiculous to me because by the old rules, Changelings in no way could stand with them. It wasn't just, we work with them sometimes, it was, "We go to their moots and hang out with them at Hives." It was a big dissonance in rules and fluff, mainly that Changeling's rules were unfinished garbage.

Oh, yes, I completely forgot that both Changeling and Werewolf have something called Fomorians (lower case for Werewolf) but while both groups are aware of both kinds if you decide they exist in your setting, there's also a strong "that's really not what we're talking about" vibe. Unless you're a Fianna, then it's whatever. One are shock troops of varying sapience made by Wyrm mutagens and the others are ancient fae god-king monsters.

The 'evil' splats hanging out like some kind of WW Legion of Doom was pretty endemic of going hard on crossovers in the games' second editions. The <Splat> Lore skill was everywhere and you'd get things like at least one vampire I can think of in the New Orleans book who knew more about the Wyrm than some Theurges. Also just Garou in general because they love having Gangrel hang out with them, don't you know.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I Am Just a Box posted:

Does it matter if it's World or Chronicles?

World has the Nephandi, mages who serve various dark masters as means of a spiritual path of abasement. The list of possible dark powers calls out Werewolf's lords of Malfeas and Wraith's Neverborn. Apophis in the Mummy books is just another face for the Wyrm.

In Chronicles, Mage's Seers of the Throne and Demon's God-Machine have very congruent goals in terms of their effects on the Fallen World, and the Exarchs and angels sometimes mass their servants to aid one another for reasons the Seers are not privileged to know. Werewolf's Lords of the Wounds have been suggested to be the same as the demons of the Inferno, though the 2e overhaul in Shunned by the Moon may have undone this?

The Wyrm-warped mutants were called fomori, not fomorians.

Nah, WoD or CoD are both fine. I'm more interested in WoD I admit but I enjoy learning about everything.

I was thinking of getting Book of the Fallen as it apparently touches on Nephandi who are devoted to the Wyrm. Also I just love evil stuff so....

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, yes, I completely forgot that both Changeling and Werewolf have something called Fomorians (lower case for Werewolf) but while both groups are aware of both kinds if you decide they exist in your setting, there's also a strong "that's really not what we're talking about" vibe. Unless you're a Fianna, then it's whatever. One are shock troops of varying sapience made by Wyrm mutagens and the others are ancient fae god-king monsters.

The 'evil' splats hanging out like some kind of WW Legion of Doom was pretty endemic of going hard on crossovers in the games' second editions. The <Splat> Lore skill was everywhere and you'd get things like at least one vampire I can think of in the New Orleans book who knew more about the Wyrm than some Theurges. Also just Garou in general because they love having Gangrel hang out with them, don't you know.

It's something I've never given much thought to, how different each edition is. I have several 20th Anniversary versions of the various books and lines and thought "eh, it's the newest so what else do I need." But I was starting to read Mage 20 and it begins by talking about how Mage 1e, 2e and Revised are all very different in how they present the world.

You're the second person in as many days who's told me about how 2nd Edition was all about crossovers between the various lines. I obviously need to read more 2e books.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Nah, WoD or CoD are both fine. I'm more interested in WoD I admit but I enjoy learning about everything.

I was thinking of getting Book of the Fallen as it apparently touches on Nephandi who are devoted to the Wyrm. Also I just love evil stuff so....

It's something I've never given much thought to, how different each edition is. I have several 20th Anniversary versions of the various books and lines and thought "eh, it's the newest so what else do I need." But I was starting to read Mage 20 and it begins by talking about how Mage 1e, 2e and Revised are all very different in how they present the world.

You're the second person in as many days who's told me about how 2nd Edition was all about crossovers between the various lines. I obviously need to read more 2e books.

Go back to the OP and read the entry on Samuel Haight in the oWoD post, that'll cure you of that curiosity!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

NikkolasKing posted:

Book of the Fallen M20 is not particularly interested in crossover. It's much more interested in thematic whiplash, as Satyros Phil Brucato beats you over the head with the banality of evil and tries to make Nephandi stories tie into real issues of abuse and neglect while also still filling half the book with +1 swords of black lightning and shock troops riding saddled oozes of pure evil. It's a very different authorial voice from Book of the Wyrm W20, which threaded that needle much more deftly.

I don't remember whether it's any good, but for Nephandi with a sidelong eye towards slotting into other big bads, I think what you want is Infernalism: Path of Screams.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

One of the better stories in Horror Recognition Guide, a nWoD sorta-Hunter book, is about a meeting between the Seers (nMage enemies) and some Strix (nVampire enemies.) It rules.

The Seers often work with the God-Machine because they both, for radically different reasons, have a vested interest in preserving the status quo. Both will occasionally work with PC-factions to stop existential threats.

Depending on how you read it and how you want to run it, there is a group of nMage archmasters who are down with, and possibly even trying to further empower, the nChangeling True Fae.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

Depending on how you read it and how you want to run it, there is a group of nMage archmasters who are down with, and possibly even trying to further empower, the nChangeling True Fae.

who are you thinking of in particular

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Go back to the OP and read the entry on Samuel Haight in the oWoD post, that'll cure you of that curiosity!

How dare you besmirch the good name of Samuel Haight Ultimate Badass

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

joylessdivision posted:

But that is just it! any attempt you make will just feel like pale shadow in comparison, and just not worth the effort!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

More like Badasshtray, amirite

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawgstar posted:

More like Badasshtray, amirite

Savage

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It would be kind of fun to do a FATAL & Friends on The Saga of Samuel Height, Skinwalker but I remember he has very little to do with some of those books. There is probably some fun to be had at chronicling what was the germ of a good idea to 'he is a werewolf mage ghoul who wants to take over the world' to his end as a low-level Heirarch's desk tchotchke .

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It would be kind of fun to do a FATAL & Friends on The Saga of Samuel Height, Skinwalker but I remember he has very little to do with some of those books. There is probably some fun to be had at chronicling what was the germ of a good idea to 'he is a werewolf mage ghoul who wants to take over the world' to his end as a low-level Heirarch's desk tchotchke .
Yeah Haight is great as a Werewolf antagonist, and there's even some logic to the idea of him becoming a mage, and then also a werewolf.

It's the other crap that goes bananas.