Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sorry I misread the sentence as just "sent them home" rather than "sent them home to work". Yes that's definitely not allowed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Work is never allowed. Play games on the clock.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

justcola posted:

Everyone will always tell you to be more open, listen more, compromise, stand your ground etc. Best way through life is doing what makes you happy and sometimes challenging what you're comfortable with. I think you can be open and honest etc. but the verbal gymnastics of talking to certain people so the conversation is productive can be hard.

I suppose. I just don't like hurting folk and get the feeling I do by accident. I don't know what to do to make people like me and it is getting to me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Work is never allowed. Play games on the clock.

Or :justpost: . I'm actually supposed to be in a meeting right now lmao

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose. I just don't like hurting folk and get the feeling I do by accident. I don't know what to do to make people like me and it is getting to me.

I like you bugman.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like you bugman.

Me too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Has anyone ever hurt you? Did you survive? Well, then.

It's been said a million times, but the fact that you actually even stop to consider other people's feelings puts you ahead of probably 90% of everyone.

E: and that's why I love you :3:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

we've been "about to pass through the peak in the next 5 to 7 days" for like 4 weeks now lol

what's kind of hosed is this slow motion catastrophe is probably the best we could hope for given what the alternative plan was back in march

I'm not sure why anyone thinks this *isn't* the plan they had in March. Everyone's breaking their arms to pat themselves on the back that we "abandoned" the herd immunity scheme when we're already at at least 40k excess deaths *in one loving month*. "Herd immunity" was never "gently caress it, let them all die", it was "run the hospitalisation rate as high as you possibly can without the rest of it falling over".

As it is there's still literally no evidence of us getting test-and-trace up and running and the Tories favoured mouthpieces are all running stories about how we all hate lockdown. The plan is, was, and always will be to try and get us to herd immunity quicker than anyone else so we get a head start on the rest of the world on restarting the economy, and everyone who's supposed to notice and report on this is instead talking about how great it is Boris is back or tutting at people in parks.

e: You want evidence of this? Look just how hard we've been trying to get antibody tests working compared to how little we've even attempted to set up antigen testing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Classic Boris extending lokcdown but not giving any hint of a length

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh look it’s the reanimated corpse of Boris Johnson*

*running F1 gag.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

At this time of national crisis, we need to look to what brings us all together, not that which rends us apart.

The Queen

Gawdblessah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT67eMT499E

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

Classic Boris extending lokcdown but not giving any hint of a length

I don't want even a hint of his length

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/LizzyBuchan/status/1254710898108837888?s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The government only choses fawning questions from Tory voters.

Ah! Well, nevertheless

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Time to spam them with 5g questions

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

peanut- posted:

Sorry I misread the sentence as just "sent them home" rather than "sent them home to work". Yes that's definitely not allowed!

Indeed, so I was curious if there was a way to check if your employer had claimed for you or not.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

They're called kitchen baps in the North.

Surely they're more of a kitchen baguette though (aha!)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'm genuinely looking forward to finding out just how shameless the Tories will be in which questions they choose at this press conference.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jfc

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1254714254638399488?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The crown in this case being a policeman's helmet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Or :justpost: . I'm actually supposed to be in a meeting right now lmao

That's OK you didn't miss much, we were just discussing your absence.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

I asked a question about Brexit in light of the pandemic and lol if it will ever get asked

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
That daily question is going to deliberately be very twee, today's is going to be about someone's Etsy page, tomorrow's will discuss quinoa supplies, by the end of the week we will have assurances that avocados are on the way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nice to see not all childrens authors are poo poo

https://twitter.com/rickriordan/status/1254547798047051776?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Loki just straight up turned into a female horse, hosed a horse, give birth to a horse with eight legs and gave it to his dad.

This was to stop a guy from building a high wall within a year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also engaged in CBT with a goat to win a bet with a giantess.

Loki is the patron saint of fetlife, imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Also engaged in CBT with a goat to win a bet with a giantess.

How do you give cognitive behavioural therapy to a goat?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Now that Unicode is allowed in URLs, it's long past time that someone registered þornhub as an archive of Norse mythology.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gonzo McFee posted:

Loki just straight up turned into a female horse, hosed a horse, give birth to a horse with eight legs and gave it to his dad.

This was to stop a guy from building a high wall within a year.

Odin isn't Loki's dad, but they were blood brothers

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Now that Unicode is allowed in URLs, it's long past time that someone registered þornhub as an archive of Norse mythology.

Just þhub, surely?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

nice to see not all childrens authors are poo poo

https://twitter.com/rickriordan/status/1254547798047051776?s=20

Yeah, Rick Riordan is p good afaik. He puts a lot of representation in his own books, and he's got a series where he 'presents'/publishes books by minority authers to use his platform to give them an audience. He seems cool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just þhub, surely?

That's the youtu.be equivalent :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lottelydia/status/1254681678313857025?s=21

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Hi I've ignored the thread for a couple of weeks now, but I just had to bring up this comment or commentariat

quote:

How can the tories be turning Britain into a one party state when clearly the problem lies with the hopelessly divided Labour party who have totally ignored voters' wishes by leaning ever further away from sensible policies ?

It seems to me that what is really needed is a totally new and relevant political party fit for the 21st century, and at one point I got the impression that Farage was going to have a crack at this. I hope he or someone will do so as I cannot see any situation where Labour has any hope of being an effective opposition, let alone forming a government.

Never read graundiad comments, you know this, arrrgh

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Aramoro posted:

Indeed, so I was curious if there was a way to check if your employer had claimed for you or not.

HMRC are apparently eager for employees to shop their possibly fraudulent employers online, but I don't know of another way. And they're implying that they will be checking lots of company records and prosecuting afterwards, rather than offering employees any help.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

RockyB posted:

Hi I've ignored the thread for a couple of weeks now, but I just had to bring up this comment or commentariat

Never read graundiad comments, you know this, arrrgh

They never do the work and define what they DO want, in fact they don't even do the work and articulate what specifically they DON'T like about Labour. One even turned up to my CLP with a whole page of this poo poo he'd written down to rattle off in his 2 minutes in that kind of Paul Joseph Watson, hostage-reading-a-script-at-gunpoint style. Nothing but hot air and huffing their own farts these people. I notice he didn't turn up to the next meetings when we were campaigning.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isomermaid posted:

They never do the work and define what they DO want, in fact they don't even do the work and articulate what specifically they DON'T like about Labour. One even turned up to my CLP with a whole page of this poo poo he'd written down to rattle off in his 2 minutes in that kind of Paul Joseph Watson, hostage-reading-a-script-at-gunpoint style. Nothing but hot air and huffing their own farts these people. I notice he didn't turn up to the next meetings when we were campaigning.

It's the "I want to speak to the manager" of politics, just shaming people for not aligning their politics to their desire to not be bothered by anything in life because they are blinkered, selfish little shits. The only answer is to tell them to accept that other people want different things in life, and if they don't like it and aren't willing to fight for an alternative then they can gently caress off. It won't convince them, but some people just need to be rudely shut down.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Just been to get a roni test.

I was able to book online yesterday but no tests were available at the test centre closest to me, so had to do a 40 mile round trip to the next closest.

You get emailed a scan ID which is screened through your car window (no opening of windows unless told otherwise). There were two cars in front of me, and then we were funnelled into another two queues for the two bays that were open - each was like a sort of small marquee tent with three people manning them. There were three cars in front of me at this stage, and the wait was about 15 mins. Also, there were no NHS staff there, just what appeared to be security personnel handing you the tests. This also meant that everyone was having to administer the tests themselves, but on the booking website it tells you that you have the choice of the NHS staff doing it or you doing it. Not here.

When you get into the bay, the staff hold up a card with a mobile number on and you have to call them. They tell you the procedure and then someone else comes over to the other window, you roll it down a bit and they chuck the test through the window along with a few tissues. Then you go and park up and administer the test. The test comes with an instruction booklet that isn't entirely clear tbh. It asks you to register if you haven't already but I wasn't sure what they meant. A helper was there and I had to call his number (remember - no windows are to be left open) to confirm that I did not need to do this again since I booked online yesterday. Whatever.

There's a swab about eight inches long and you have to scrape the back of your throat and tonsils with it for 10 seconds, followed by up your nose and twirl for another 15 seconds. The throat scrape was horrible as I kept gagging, so did that one about 5 times. The nose twirl makes you sneeze. When done, you have to snap off the swab into the test tube with a formula at the bottom, screw shut and seal up the bag they gave you. Round the corner into another queue to dump it into the bins. Should hear the outcome within 48 hours but could take up to 5 days.

The whole thing took about half an hour, which is the timeframe for slots you can book. It was orderly and the security staff were helpful and courteous, with lots of thumbs ups which kind of made me feel at ease tbh, although the tests not being done by professional staff concerns me.

What I don't get though, is this: I'm in Birmingham - there are three football grounds in the city with large carparks right outside that could also be used for testing. Not to mention the VAST carparks at the NEC and airport, both of which have great access to the nation's motorway network. But the only place to get tested in Brum is at Warwickshire CCC in Edgbaston - the next closest is Worcester, where I went. Why not have the testing at the NEC/airport? It's massive and much better connected.

Dog Pipes fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 27, 2020

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

:brainworms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Josef bugman posted:

Ah you're a good egg Josef, I think a lot of people who get into twists about the way they interact with people should care less and those that don't should care more - as a rule of thumb.

Similar goes for wondering 'does such and such a person like me' or 'should I leave this job' or 'am I being too quiet' - if you're asking yourself chances are it's right (unless you're wondering if you're socially awkward - you're not, but then being aware about being socially awkward makes you awkward)