Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gologle posted:

Here's what I want to happen in the next part. At the very beginning of the game, you go to Kalm, and Cloud starts his Sephiroth story, and you play through the expanded flashback, all that jazz. Story ends, everybody's silent, taking it in, and then Tifa says "Cloud that's bullshit. You weren't there and that's also really weird, because your memory of the event is startlingly accurate outside of that." And Cloud's mind just snaps instantly because he can't reconcile it. Yes, I want the Cloud mindbreak to happen at basically the start of the next game. If you're going to make a statement about how you're not going to follow the plot of the original game, by golly, you need to go all in. I don't know what would happen after that, I imagine Tifa or Aeris would take over as leader while they either drag Cloud's comatose body around or leave him in Kalm, and somewhere, maybe Junon, Zack enters the picture somehow, I dunno. It's too early to tell what hte next game is going to do, but man, I want it to be wild.

Sephiroth would be 𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥 LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Can I just say I really love how they nail the tone of that Shinra VR commercial? Like it totally comes across as one of those commercials where you're not sure what's going on at first, or it looks like it's going to be a PSA or something, and then it comes in with "Here at Shinra, we strive to blah blah blah." It's so perfectly scummy.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Can I just say I really love how they nail the tone of that Shinra VR commercial? Like it totally comes across as one of those commercials where you're not sure what's going on at first, or it looks like it's going to be a PSA or something, and then it comes in with "Here at Shinra, we strive to blah blah blah." It's so perfectly scummy.

I have to confess it would've been even better if it was in the tone of one of those early morning infomercials where the actors are completely non-functional human beings. Just a close of up of your everyday consumer slipping and falling into a mako reactor, getting mauled by monsters or being held up by a gang "Old Midgar just not what it used to be? Well do we have the solution for you! "

And then Sephiroth stills hacks it at the end and a meteor flattens Midgar.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gologle posted:

If you're going to make a statement about how you're not going to follow the plot of the original game, by golly, you need to go all in. I don't know what would happen after that, I imagine Tifa or Aeris would take over as leader while they either drag Cloud's comatose body around or leave him in Kalm, and somewhere, maybe Junon, Zack enters the picture somehow, I dunno. It's too early to tell what hte next game is going to do, but man, I want it to be wild.

The ending of 7R definitively cements this to me as Aerith's story so this makes sense to me

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

cheetah7071 posted:

cloud spends all of part 2 in his wheelchair

Going full Twin Peaks for part 2 would be an amazing salt mine.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

I have to confess it would've been even better if it was in the tone of one of those early morning infomercials where the actors are completely non-functional human beings. Just a close of up of your everyday consumer slipping and falling into a mako reactor, getting mauled by monsters or being held up by a gang "Old Midgar just not what it used to be? Well do we have the solution for you! "

And then Sephiroth stills hacks it at the end and a meteor flattens Midgar.

That's his solution. :getin:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

That's his solution. :getin:

Exactly. :q:

Also it needs the voice over from Jaboody Dubs. Go all in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlSF0dtDRD8

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oh God. Cloud going back in time and saving Aerith? There's no way they would do that. They did a good job with this one let's not assume they are going to go crazy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah when has square ever made a game where you go back in time to rescue a main character, seems implausible

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moseywalk With Me

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I guarantee that, if the implications of Zach at the end are anything to go by, the timeline(s) might start to break down and we're gonna have people switching consciousness between them, kinda like with Zero Escape. Cloud will hallucinate that he's back in Midgar with Zach only to figure out that they're not hallucinations and it goes from there.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

I guarantee that, if the implications of Zach at the end are anything to go by, the timeline(s) might start to break down and we're gonna have people switching consciousness between them, kinda like with Zero Escape. Cloud will hallucinate that he's back in Midgar with Zach only to figure out that they're not hallucinations and it goes from there.

Can I get a gently caress to the no please? Ain't gonna lie that sounds like the kinda poo poo that would make me hate this thing. I'm willing to buy an alternate timeline Zack made it, that's fine. Hell i'll even accept it if some how he even shows up in this one. But timeline shenanigans and brain switching? No. no no no noooo I've never seen a piece of media where that was done that I haven't hated with everything I am.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 27, 2020

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Just got through this and really enjoyed it. I loved how they managed to have good character moments and drama while still retaining a bunch of goofy-rear end 1990s JRPG poo poo. And that moment when J-E-N-O-V-A kicks in... gently caress yeah.

QQ since I skimmed the thread: any reactions from someone who never played the original? I feel like the last hour would be baffling, and a lot of moments wouldn't land as hard (another thing I learned playing this game: the first few bars of Aerith's theme at an emotional moment is enough to get me misty). One of my friends wants to try this as her first Final Fantasy and I can't really judge how this would play without nostalgia.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chomposaur posted:

Just got through this and really enjoyed it. I loved how they managed to have good character moments and drama while still retaining a bunch of goofy-rear end 1990s JRPG poo poo. And that moment when J-E-N-O-V-A kicks in... gently caress yeah.

QQ since I skimmed the thread: any reactions from someone who never played the original? I feel like the last hour would be baffling, and a lot of moments wouldn't land as hard (another thing I learned playing this game: the first few bars of Aerith's theme at an emotional moment is enough to get me misty). One of my friends wants to try this as her first Final Fantasy and I can't really judge how this would play without nostalgia.

I was just discussing this in the other thread but:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just watched a stream where someone played through FF7R without knowing anything about the original and although they were confused by the end they were eager to both play the original and the continuation of the Remake

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen the only thing that would throw people for a loop is Chapter 18 and the ending, and it seems like it will do that to people regardless, the rest of the story leading up to that point is pretty much 100% legible to newcomers

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jimbot posted:

He'll come to during a climatic battle and he fights in a wheelchair like BJ Blazkowicz in Wolfenstein.

The lobby motorcycle stunts but in a wheel chair, and then Roche shows up with his custom red one...

I wish we'd got to actually burn some rubber on Heidegger's face, Dude radiates so much douchebag energy...

Caidin fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 27, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
to be fair the original also has Sephiroth appearing in Midgar repeatedly and it also never explains who he is, and people expecting otherwise in the remake was kind of unreasonable

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bleck posted:

to be fair the original also has Sephiroth appearing in Midgar repeatedly and it also never explains who he is, and people expecting otherwise in the remake was kind of unreasonable

sephiroth never appears in midgar

his name is mentioned a couple of times and you find his sword in the president's face but you never see him. The first time you see him at all is the flashback and I want to say that the first he shows up in the present is on the ship(or if you want to get all "actually" about it the first time you see him in the present is the North Crater).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
hmm I guess it's time for me to replay!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should've worked the Kalm flashback into this somehow. As it is, you get a lot of characters who know who Sephiroth is and why he's bad, and you know that Cloud hates Sephiroth - but without context it feels like the game is just saying "Cloud wants to kill Sephiroth as he is the well known villain of Final Fantasy VII."

If there's anyone who's playing this blind and keeping themselves pure, they'll have to wait until part 2 to know what was happening during the final boss fight.

I really enjoyed the ending but after sleeping on it they really blew their load there. One Winged Angel is the climactic moment of the entire story. Unless they plan on killing Sephiroth and having Aerith be the villain (which we all know would be amazing), the finale of this series won't be nearly as impactful now that we've had that moment already. It's not even like Sephiroth clowned the party the first time round - they easily beat him, he just got away for reasons.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 27, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well in Sephiroth's first scene he talks about how he killed Cloud's mum. So there's that at least as far as motivation goes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Tifa no-sells her reaction to Sephiroth in this game and it's a bit of a problem for me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

stev posted:

They should've worked the Kalm flashback into this somehow.

i assumed they were going to have it happen in shinra jail because you've got all the relevant characters together sitting around doing nothing but uh, welp

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

stev posted:

I really enjoyed the ending but after sleeping on it they really blew their load there. One Winged Angel is the climactic moment of the entire story. Unless they plan on killing Sephiroth and having Aerith be the villain (which we all know would be amazing), the finale of this series won't be nearly as impactful now that we've had that moment already. It's not even like Sephiroth clowned the party the first time round - they easily beat him, he just got away for reasons.

I'm definitely curious but not quite worried about where they go with that. On the one hand they beat a version of Sephiroth already. On the other hand, the real Sephiroth shrugged off Omnislash. The Kalm flashback can set up that what they fought wasn't anything like the real thing and hopefully give Tifa a chance to properly respond to the events of the first game.

Edit: they couldn't do the flashback there. It takes so long the original game gives you a chance to save the game, and they don't even really know Sephiroth is active by that stage.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The scene where President Shinra talks to them and then they get thrown into prison would seem less believable now, and I'm glad they took it out.

All those scenes where Sephiroth is loving with Cloud's brain in Chapters 2 and 3 make more sense in hindsight as to explaining why Cloud wants to go after the guy.

Re: the ending - I think things can still escalate further beyond that final fight. Sephiroth can do something even greater in scope now that he's not bound by fate, so who knows how the final climactic battle will look.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sephiroth is absolutely going to be the final boss of every part of FF7R.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That makes sense - assuming part 2 ends at the Temple of the Ancients and part 3 ends in Northern Crater.

I'm more interested in JENOVA fights really. I'm so glad they worked one into this game even if the premise for it was a bit dumb. That music is one of the things that gets me well and truly pumped up in a game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think that will work about as well as it did in the Hobbit movies.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I knew those movies were bad but I didnt realize that they added Sephiroth to them, they were really scrambling for 3 movies worth of material, weren't they?

The Hobbit: Advent Halflings!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The WEAPON fights have to be some Shadow of the Colossus type-deal right

In the OG you could do that abstracted stand across from them in a line but if you're going more realistic, they are kaiju-sized

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Diamond weapon sure, but I wouldn't want the superbosses to be gimmick setpiece fights. Just scale down Emerald & Ruby slightly to a similar size to Ultima Weapon and have them fight like regular encounters.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

if cloud wins over the turks with a cherry pie, I might like this remake after all

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In the OG you could do that abstracted stand across from them in a line but if you're going more realistic, they are kaiju-sized

Any sort of WEAPON fight might have to be its own long-running dedicated chapter like the Air Buster.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Obviously you will need to find an Embiggen Materia so Cloud will also grow to kaiju size, and then they will fight in the middle of Midgar, toppling buildings and poo poo.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ultima will be the same, where you have a fight.

Diamond will be you struggling to stop him and then he gets blasted by the sister Ray

Emerald weapon will be the darts minigame with harpoons, where you have to hit the eyes in order.

Ruby will be a dance off, Andrea will judge the winner.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also they had lil Bahamut in this one, Neo Bahamut didn't look that much bigger, but based on the size of Teraflare, like Bahamut Zero is at least the size of a city block.

I guess they have until part three a decade from now to figure that last one out

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

anakha posted:

Any sort of WEAPON fight might have to be its own long-running dedicated chapter like the Air Buster.

I hope not. I really want them still to have a map with secrets and side objectives on it. Ideally I want to be attacked out of nowhere by a terrifying green beast while underwater, and I want it to wipe my party hard until I'm ready.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

so the sephiroth fight was kind of a pushover if you realized early on you could counter his ground melee attack and dodge through his jumping one, and also that heartless angel was an AOE so all you had to do was tag over to your healer occasionally and keep them backed up during that phase. Everything else you can just roll away from often enough that you can heal through the damage of the stuff you don't.

I guess if you didn't have one of the ranged characters in the final battle its way harder though :rip:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cavelcade posted:

Ruby will be a dance off, Andrea will judge the winner.
Can you even imagine the sorts of fabulously sick dance moves it could pull off with those flippy floppy arms

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

anakha posted:

The scene where President Shinra talks to them and then they get thrown into prison would seem less believable now, and I'm glad they took it out.

I think they should have kept the part where the party finds him already dead though. The new scene feels kind of pointless(Tifa begging Barret not to drop the homicidal dictator off a building and Shinra holding Barret at gun point was really dumb) and so many things happen the moment he gets stabbed(Barret gets stabbed, Jenova fight, Barret gets healed, Sephiroth escapes, Rufus shows up) that none of the characters really have a chance to react to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/littlebird_/status/1252026080787038211?s=21