Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Well, you see the canton is...nah, that's the same thing.

Oh, fuss. What a bad snipe, and me without a bad graph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_information

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

These new pride flags are getting pretty complicated.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
https://twitter.com/WorkspaceONE/status/940234763742466049

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CCHP_UA/status/1254045745218564096

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wow, you could tell how classy someone was by their taste in sculpture, everyone must have been so bored.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
High brow stuff is ostentatious performative bullshit.

Give me upper middlebrow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Upper-middle salad looks pretty good, not going to lie. Lower-middle drink is a solid choice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The salad column is wack.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
The late 40s and early 50s were an extremely wack time.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ah yes, Freemasons, the well-known cause of the low-brown lower middle class.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I like everything on that chart. My forehead must be massive.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Games - Upper middle brow: Standing around watching your friend have a seizure

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

^What is "The Game" meant to be here anyway?

Platystemon posted:

The salad column is wack.

I'm intrigued by how avocados demote you one brow level.

Also how "criticism of criticism" is the highest-brow literature. If you read criticism of criticism of criticism (and so on) does your brow ascend into the stratosphere.

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Apr 27, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SerialKilldeer posted:

Also how "criticism of criticism" is the highest-brow literature. If you read criticism of criticism of criticism (and so on) does your brow ascend into the stratosphere.

The superior brainfreeze.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SerialKilldeer posted:

Charades, I'm pretty sure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

One thing I've been wondering about these. Why does the CI shrink with time instead of growing wider? It's like looking at an NOAA hurricane map and seeing they don't know where the hell it will be tomorrow but know exactly where it will be in two weeks. It's like they're starting with a single predicted end-result and then ad-hocing the model to reach that point.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SerialKilldeer posted:

drat it!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

We all know that marketing words are meaningless and that they are just selling an image or emotion, but I don't normally see them as brazen about it

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

What does "Planned parenthood" mean in this context. The second word isn't capitalized, so I don't think it's the organization and I don't see how having children is a substantially different cause then P.T.A.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Oh wow I had no idea about this but apparently the “unwashed salad bowl” was actually a thing.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-may-12-fo-36243-story.html

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm surprised to see Go on there. I'd have thought the game would have come via Japan, and that anything Japanese wouldn't be very popular in '49.

I also a bourbon gingerale sounds pretty good right now.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Phanatic posted:

One thing I've been wondering about these. Why does the CI shrink with time instead of growing wider? It's like looking at an NOAA hurricane map and seeing they don't know where the hell it will be tomorrow but know exactly where it will be in two weeks. It's like they're starting with a single predicted end-result and then ad-hocing the model to reach that point.

my understanding is:

there is an error function in the DNA of the IHME model fit for cumulative deaths (of which this chart is just the derivative). the derivative of the erf is gonna result in a function that is symmetric about the peak (so if it goes up faster it comes down faster). the wide range in the height of the "peak" (as opposed to uncertainty about the temporal location of the peak) will therefore not result in much disagreement about values away from the peak. all of the models will be "flat" after a certain point for a wide range of parameters so the actual values at the far future won't show wide variability. so big CIs around the peak, tapering off as you move away until eventually all of the models converge to 0.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

letthereberock posted:

Oh wow I had no idea about this but apparently the “unwashed salad bowl” was actually a thing.

Turns out that it wasn't leaded gasoline that destroyed the boomer brains.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

letthereberock posted:

:master:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dying at the unwashed salad bowl, everybody agreeing sculpture should have a titty, and 1949 go hipsters.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
https://twitter.com/ConversationUK/status/1254758038520692743

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't think parametric time charts of rate of change and magnitude are unheard of for new perspectives on a data set or a cheap and dirty way to look at values in a time domain kind of way.

But 8 data sets on the chart is a little much. Interesting X and Y axises too and by interesting I mean we're into a deficit of degrees of freedom.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: This is a useful way to look at data

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

SerialKilldeer posted:

The avocado's current prestige is relatively new and the product of a large marketing push.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/how-marketing-changed-the-way-we-see-avocados/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tree Goat posted:

my understanding is:

there is an error function in the DNA of the IHME model fit for cumulative deaths (of which this chart is just the derivative). the derivative of the erf is gonna result in a function that is symmetric about the peak (so if it goes up faster it comes down faster). the wide range in the height of the "peak" (as opposed to uncertainty about the temporal location of the peak) will therefore not result in much disagreement about values away from the peak. all of the models will be "flat" after a certain point for a wide range of parameters so the actual values at the far future won't show wide variability. so big CIs around the peak, tapering off as you move away until eventually all of the models converge to 0.

Yeah, it's this.

For a simpler example, imagine that you're trying to use data on 1000 randomly sampled people to estimate the proportion of the population that's shorter than any given height. You won't have much uncertainty around 4'6" or 7'9", but you're going to have a lot more around 5'7".

It also looks like those are transformations of error bands around the log of the number of deaths. I don't know exactly how the model is fit, but it's plausible, and that explains why they're so asymmetric.

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Apr 27, 2020

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

jjack229 posted:

What does "Planned parenthood" mean in this context. The second word isn't capitalized, so I don't think it's the organization and I don't see how having children is a substantially different cause then P.T.A.

Family planning, i.e. not just making babies willy-nilly.

Count Roland posted:

I'm surprised to see Go on there. I'd have thought the game would have come via Japan, and that anything Japanese wouldn't be very popular in '49.

I also a bourbon gingerale sounds pretty good right now.

Foreign is always higher brow, and the occupation of Japan would have been many USers first run in with Go.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Family planning, i.e. not just making babies willy-nilly.

I still don't see how that is a cause. Are they actively trying to inform others, or just practicing it themselves? Are the higher and lower brows having babies willy-nilly?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jjack229 posted:

I still don't see how that is a cause. Are they actively trying to inform others, or just practicing it themselves? Are the higher and lower brows having babies willy-nilly?

"Family planning" as a term encompasses birth control, abortion, and actual literal planning. Birth control became legal nationwide in the US in 1960, five years after The Pill was introduced. The first birth control clinic was opened in 1916, then immediately shut down by police, who tossed the founder in jail. Roe v Wade was 1973.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Apr 27, 2020

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SerialKilldeer posted:

I was curious, did some googling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_the_Game_(1946_TV_series)

Timing checks out - I'd guess that the show inspired a short-lived practice of using "The Game" to refer to charades.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"Family planning" as a term encompasses birth control, abortion, and actual literal planning. Birth control became legal nationwide in the US in 1960, five years after The Pill was introduced. The first birth control clinic was opened in 1916, then immediately shut down by police, who tossed the founder in jail. Roe v Wade was 1973.

Ok, so access to reproductive health care. I didn't know it as a generic term to encompass that movement, only as the specific organization (which I now know from Wikipedia was founded in 1921 and changed its name to Planned Parenthood in 1942).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

letthereberock posted:

The unwashed salad bowl is one of the greatest pranks ever played on the public, and you know what? Grinding pepper fresh is worth it.

I hope that man received a Pulitzer for his contributions to culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Not the worst graph, but just came across it reading a journal article for work.

Some background, Doan and Ammerman are two theoretical methods for calculating incident energy, the base equations calculate open-air and then they have a method to convert to enclosures.The journal article performed testing (measured) in an enclosure and is proposing an empirical equation (proposed).

1) It bothers me that they didn't match the two Doan lines and Ammerman lines better. I feel like yellow-orange and blue-blue would have been better pairings.

2) They plotted Proposed first, so it is underneath the other lines, making it difficult to see what they are even proposing.

3) They didn't provide any of this data in a table, so I only have this figure if I want to make any quantitative comparisons, which unfortunately is the exact reason I tracked down this article.