Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm a big fan of Zephyr so far. She just runs into a room and caves some dude's skull in like she's Jotaro Joestar and then grabs bullets out the air after they shoot at her.

I feel like melee is just really strong in this game, with how quickly you have to get in and out of rooms to avoid reinforcements I'm not really sure I could make the game work with a primarily shooting squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only downside is there's no stupidly breakable stuff in the strategy layer like selling off all your loot and drugs.

Raiding drug lords and then selling off their stash to fund more hoverbikes was one of the best things about X-Com Apoc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You've clearly not yet met the cop whose profile snippet was "shoot, and shoot again".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Just had Zephyr take out 5 enemies with reaper and then end with a crowd control which bizarrely isnt affected by the reaper damage reduction. 8 enemies in the room including 2 andromedons and they werent able to take a single turn. Its an incredible feeling when you break this game over your knee

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The five year timespan feeling "too short" is, i think some of it is a sort of coconut effect, ie people think horses galloping sounds like coconut shells clapping together and think its unrealistic when its not present, because theyve only been exposed to media. See also literally every single conception about the middle ages being shaped soley by popular conception of it rather than how reality actually played out. the only comparison i have to the cs scenario is post ww2 military occupations, which nominally lasted a surprisingly short time (tho of course there were a litany of caveats to their 'independence') and there was an apparent change in way of life and culture in those areas, tho obviously not as much as the aliens in cs.

But the aliens in cs also lacked much of any culture themselves, a lot of them had been on earth for 25+ years and could have been going native as is, so there might not be really any resistance for the majority of them from just picking up on human culture as is (which already was partially alien as is). Nor were they segregated into separate housing areas as opposed to being outright integrated due to need for labor and expertise and the general disorganized mess everything was left in, and a lore blurb pointing out that xcom itself made the push for re-integration out of fear of the elders showing back up. So the usual factors that would prevent assimilation or drag it out over a longer time span were weakened or not really present, so I'm kind of left going both "i actually dont have any clue what a realistic time span would be in this situation" and "time spans are always bullshit in fiction what else is new". And they've all been spliced extensively with human juice so them being not that psychologically different from humans could be hand waved away too (tho its kind of boring).

But I hypothesize that a lot of it, as I said, isn't based on reality since we do a good job of avoiding our exposure to that, but just that generally in sci-fi/fantasy media the different races/species are very rarely integrated even if they've been living next to each other for five hundred years. And this me wading out into can of worms territory, but I think there might even be like, some kind of western cultural baggage in assuming that its impossible to have equitable integration without decades of one-sided oppression, ghettoization, hierarchical control and domination, and abuse of an underclass. Which is, maybe, kind of hosed up in its own way, like, just assuming that a better outcome is inherently "unrealistic" is maybe sort of a weird apologist/defeatist mindset we all carry and just assume is normal, maybe? Or maybe its just justifiable cynicism? I'm just spit-balling here idk. "Realism" often gets applied to things that are more about social narratives and culturally-bound behaviors and ideas, rather than actually being realistic; kind of like the larger scale picture of how people assume a sufficiently developed AI would develop exactly human emotions and a fear of death, we assume a "realistic" society, we assume, end up behaving like our own despite the underlying conditions being radically different. (e: mind you I think there's a lot to be said about convergent development on these sorts of things but its important to recognize the causes instead of assuming there's a natural resting point where things lie)

the actual explanation is probably "they picked five years because it fit best in their timeline and didn't really give a poo poo about any of the above at all" and im kind of glad either way that we didn't end up with "racism allegory with aliens/robots/elves which fucks it up by forgetting that racism is a 100% arbitrary, modern social construct and not based on real psychological/physiological distinctions" sort of story but thinking about it gave me THOUGHTS. that I have to SHARE. because i LOVE READING MY OWN RAMBLINGS.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 27, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really wish the training area had more slots. scars are piling up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
After playing this a bit more, i do kinda wish the aliens sounded more alien. Verge seems right on the money but torque should sound more snakey and axiom sounds like a massive nerd rather than anything actually scary, which is kinda funny but now its worn off a bit.

Who said verge can't crowd control? In my final mission with him I breached, lifted (1 neural), then he went first and got two actions (berserk, stupor, 3 neural) then i had terminal give him a bonus action for another berserk (4 neural), teamworked him so he could berserk again (5, heyy) and then he puppeteered, so fight that had like 10 enemy's went down to 5 real quick, then the final five died because suddenly they're against 9 people and i've not even started using my other abilities yet.

If you don't have puppeteer he's gonna be be using mindflay every turn for 3 or so damage to each enemy, plus he can do that after a berserk so you're basically doing 15 damage minimum every turn from the second agent you've used, not counting the random berserk shots on enemies. On top of that berserk enemies sometimes don't take their next turn. He's insane.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 27, 2020

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really wish the training area had more slots. scars are piling up.

you can get a second one by getting a rank 3 field operative (idk which, its not technology) and researching it in the assembly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

motherfucker I'm beelining for that tech upgrade

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

dogstile posted:

After playing this a bit more, i do kinda wish the aliens sounded more alien. Verge seems right on the money but torque should sound more snakey and axiom sounds like a massive nerd rather than anything actually scary, which is kinda funny but now its worn off a bit.

Who said verge can't crowd control? In my final mission with him I breached, lifted (1 neural), then he went first and got two actions (berserk, stupor, 3 neural) then i had terminal give him a bonus action for another berserk (4 neural), teamworked him so he could berserk again (5, heyy) and then he puppeteered, so fight that had like 10 enemy's went down to 5 real quick, then the final five died because suddenly they're against 9 people and i've not even started using my other abilities yet.

If you don't have puppeteer he's gonna be be using mindflay every turn for 3 or so damage to each enemy, plus he can do that after a berserk so you're basically doing 15 damage minimum every turn from the second agent you've used, not counting the random berserk shots on enemies. On top of that berserk enemies sometimes don't take their next turn. He's insane.

While everything you said there is true and I really like Verge's mechanics a lot, you're rather underselling how you just had a guy take 6 actions in a row. If verge has no way of getting extra actions/turns then his slow wind-up is very noticeable. Which basically goes back to how motile generators are totally borked and terminal is a good pick.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sure, but late game everyone's strategy is "take six actions in a row" and even claymore isn't going to be making GBS threads out that much damage a turn unless enemies are very favourably grouped. His is even better because half of his "adds to his network" actions don't actually take up two actions, do damage and don't rely on the enemies to be that close to him, he just has to see them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just got my first set of optional upgrades for my squad. For Verge, Collar initially seems like a trap choice but the more I think about it, the more it seems better. Making everyone he hits with any kind of neural network ability become unconscious instead of killed means he basically single-handedly frees up utility slots for my whole squad since that's at least 5/mission easy, and he will also be getting insane aim bonuses since unconscious enemies stay in the network. He won't be getting crit bonuses, sure, but guaranteed assault rifle hits is nothing to sneeze at. Am I missing something?

Patchwork getting a close-range jolt thing seems so much better than a second breach holotarget charge. And I'm torn on blueblood. Free overwatch shots on movement seems really handy, but so does disorientation every time I get a reload.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

And I'm torn on blueblood. Free overwatch shots on movement seems really handy, but so does disorientation every time I get a reload.

Its only for the first shot and typically if you shoot at a guy you're gonna be trying to kill him that turn, i find.

I had my decision made for me because I got an impact frame for +2 subdue damage at the same time i had to make the choice, so now he shoots, subdues and is on overwatch for anyone who tries to run away.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ravenfood posted:

Patchwork getting a close-range jolt thing seems so much better than a second breach holotarget charge. And I'm torn on blueblood. Free overwatch shots on movement seems really handy, but so does disorientation every time I get a reload.

Disorientation is comically situational; most enemies just shrug and shoot you. The odds of his exact last bullet finding a good target are astronomical. Oh, and the fight might be over before he even gets there. Compared to a skill that lets you run up and bop a guy in the head, then take a point-blank flanking shot when they try to run away. Also his overwatch is 360'. Not to mention Blueblood has a nasty habit of parking his rear end and not keeping up with the squad.

I agree with Collar however: just being able to tag a guy and forget about him is great, but you have to plan for that and not take Zephyr or have spend all your credits on tranq rounds. I took collar and couldn't imagine fretting about "can't shoot that guy, he's in my network!".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Lol torques final potential is giving an ally an action if theyre grabbed, and it has no cooldown. That + terminals cooperation + a motile on torque makes zephyr an absolute monster.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jesus that last mission. I think I need to pack more healing gear, holy smokes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

you can get a second one by getting a rank 3 field operative (idk which, its not technology) and researching it in the assembly.

It's finance, it turns out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Claymore's Improvised Explosives pairs reeeeeeally well with a Stun Grenade.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I have to thank the thread that showed me that the game defaulted to my laptops lovely on-board graphics card. I went into the Nvidia control panel and forced the Geforce card for everything and it worked just fine.

Quick question, are there any upgrades for Zephyr´s gauntlets?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nope. She don’t scale too good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How did I just find out that Torque's Get Over Here combos with somebody else's Overwatch? This is delightful news.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dawgstar posted:

How did I just find out that Torque's Get Over Here combos with somebody else's Overwatch? This is delightful news.

Hah, amazing! Do you overwatch on the enemy starting position, ending position, or anywhere in between?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hah, amazing! Do you overwatch on the enemy starting position, ending position, or anywhere in between?

The first available tile the unit can see them at, I'm pretty sure

This DOESN'T pair well with the fact that AP rounds automatically detonate cars, though. Well sometimes it does.

quote:

I think the idea is you want her to go last and Reaper everything to death that you've weakened but that means getting her shot a lot if you don't do that, and she also generally doesn't go last.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Seriously? What the hell were the developers thinking because that sounds like a major oversight?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not every character is a beast in the endgame. Cherub is likewise pretty lackluster past the mid-point. His shield is a one-trick pony. He’s also stuck with a pistol and, unlike Blueblood, lacks the kit to support it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And, hey, is there a way to see how many Action Points a character has? I keep looking and don’t see it anywhere.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So Patchwork's Gremlin is a real go getter of a war crimes machine huh? 100% chance to deal 4 points of damage, uhh yes please.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cherubs ability to make anyone ignore one hit and have better aim is always useful. He isn't great at direct combat but squad support shouldn't be overlooked just because he doesn't do much damage. His breach skill can be a godsend in a pinch as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Seriously? What the hell were the developers thinking because that sounds like a major oversight?

This isn't strictly true.

You can talent into +1 damage on melee weapons around the time the first weapon upgrade hits everyone else so she keeps up there. Then you can talent into ignoring armour on her punches. I think a lot of people just end up taking the Bladestorm ability instead because of how effective it was on rangers in XCOM 2, whereas here I feel like it's less viable.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

This isn't strictly true.

You can talent into +1 damage on melee weapons around the time the first weapon upgrade hits everyone else so she keeps up there. Then you can talent into ignoring armour on her punches. I think a lot of people just end up taking the Bladestorm ability instead because of how effective it was on rangers in XCOM 2, whereas here I feel like it's less viable.

It is still very useful but a bit harder to pull off.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Oh no I restarted my game so I could play with dudes not from the tutorial so I have Claymore and the 2nd time the scavenger came she sold me a plasme grenade.

Oh no for people resisting arrest that is. :cop:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

From what I can tell you have to just pull them through the overwatch cone.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I'm dumb and obviously missed the tooltip that stuck out like a sore thumb, what does it mean when you're breaching and the number of enemies is a red skull or a green shield?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea Zephyr seems to be scaling just fine. I don't have her capstone reaper yet, but I took both the dmg booster skills so she's hitting for a very consistent 5-6, which is par for mastercrafted guns.

If anything, her maxium dps is more limited by having no one-action skills. The flipside is that Terminal/Torque feeding her actions results in full boom for her turn.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Did they say anywhere in the game that you won't be able to recruit all potential chimera squad members, or will they show up later?
I'm up to 8 (and was really hoping I'd get access to all of them) but I haven't gotten the "unlock new member" screen in quite some time now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Zephyr can't alpha but giving her Bladestorm and Parry means she can lock down enemies hard since they always prioritize moving if you have someone next to them. Godmother's CCS is useful for a similar reason.

Lamquin posted:

Did they say anywhere in the game that you won't be able to recruit all potential chimera squad members, or will they show up later?
I'm up to 8 (and was really hoping I'd get access to all of them) but I haven't gotten the "unlock new member" screen in quite some time now.

8 is the max per run.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Yoshimo posted:

I'm dumb and obviously missed the tooltip that stuck out like a sore thumb, what does it mean when you're breaching and the number of enemies is a red skull or a green shield?

Green shield means they're guaranteed to be surprised (or at least not shoot). Skull means hostile/alerted.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

grate deceiver posted:

Green shield means they're guaranteed to be surprised (or at least not shoot). Skull means hostile/alerted.

Awesome, thanks!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Green means nobody will be shooting you, Red means at least one person will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dawgstar posted:

Shelter's Relocate will also trigger overwatch.