Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

it's so bizarrely uninvestable

you don't know, and CANNOT know, what you will actually own day-to-day. they just make it up as they go along. now it's buying 2021 futures according to twitter

e: new page. talking about $USO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Jack Daniels posted:

lol asnd again haha
and offering of 8BIL shares
R/S coming up on 4/29

-16% @ 2.15

good times :cheers:

pmchem posted:

it's so bizarrely uninvestable

you don't know, and CANNOT know, what you will actually own day-to-day. they just make it up as they go along. now it's buying 2021 futures according to twitter

lol yeah I never seen this, its too funny

https://twitter.com/BrynneKKelly/status/1254768685023064065

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Why would any investor choose to own this "fund" it's loving Calvinball.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

But number go down!! Should go up??

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

:thunk:

Ola posted:

But number go down!! Should go up??
:siren:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Question for the bears in this thread:

if you have a large cash position and some FOMO on stocks, why not just put it in something like LQD instead? The Fed is directly buying that ETF and IG bonds, the yield is better than most other options, it has very diversified holdings that simply won't all be cut in half, and LQD is generally less volatile than stocks. Even megabears like Minerd are buying corp bonds:

https://twitter.com/ScottMinerd/status/1252625627854888962
https://www.guggenheiminvestments.com/perspectives/global-cio-outlook/note-to-clients-where-we-are-nibbling-at-value (linked in tweet, talks bonds, from April 5)

In a couple accounts I have 20% long-term corp bonds, and they've been quite stable. Basically just chose to hold those instead of cash while deciding if/when to convert them to equities.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

lol, I wonder if they still consider their benchmark front-month WTI futures, which they now own zero of

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Why would any "investor" choose to own this fund it's loving Calvinball.

you put the scare quotes around the wrong word, ftfy

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I think the thing I want to hammer on is the consistent resistance that's been keeping us from breaking 290 since the beginning of April

the p/e level here is 20.5 (source) and it's not going past that, which means despite herds of bulls, there's a lot of parties willing to unload at this level.

Basically if we're getting a v-shaped recovery this is a terrible place to sell at, because not only will you be buying back in at comparative highs, but historically high prices.

If we're not, then this is the best time to sell, a historically high P/E with a LOT of risk factors prevalent that can bring the price back down.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My numbers are going down and I do NOT like this

Rodan
Sep 24, 2002
Florida Gator
Could make some nice gains in long positions acquired in risky areas (gaming, REIT) last week and most of me wants to close out, but I think this may be the week of irrational exuberance as things start to open up. Earnings seen solidly mixed to positive vs. the poo poo-level expectations. Other than a turnaround in infection/death numbers what's going to slow the train this week?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rodan posted:

Could make some nice gains in long positions acquired in risky areas (gaming, REIT) last week and most of me wants to close out, but I think this may be the week of irrational exuberance as things start to open up. Earnings seen solidly mixed to positive vs. the poo poo-level expectations. Other than a turnaround in infection/death numbers what's going to slow the train this week?

Although things have seemed batshit irrational lately, no one can ignore that large sectors of the US economy will have a majority of earnings evaporated for at least April, and we haven't seen those earnings yet. Even irrational investors have their limits, and so we will see a slow train this week as we bump up against the limits. That's my guess.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

TSLA up 10% today?! I’ve never messed with it, but SURELY this is the day to go short...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

poisonpill posted:

TSLA up 10% today?! I’ve never messed with it, but SURELY this is the day to go short...

People who doubt Musk's vibe tend to get burned

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Basically if we're getting a v-shaped recovery this is a terrible place to sell at, because not only will you be buying back in at comparative highs, but historically high prices.

If we're not, then this is the best time to sell, a historically high P/E with a LOT of risk factors prevalent that can bring the price back down.

Buy super-discounted blue chips, then, to play it safe/less risky? Not all of the big names are back from the depths of the Ides of March.

Rodan
Sep 24, 2002
Florida Gator

poisonpill posted:

I've been thinking when it hits 800. Almost there.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I think we've seen today's top. Put an /ES short in at 2858 and wil likely hold it most of the day

e: Stopped out at 2862

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 27, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

Buy super-discounted blue chips, then, to play it safe/less risky? Not all of the big names are back from the depths of the Ides of March.

if you want to do this, RSP is an interesting play:
https://etfdb.com/etf/RSP/#etf-ticker-profile

equal-weighted S&P 500. So you get the blue chips, but not the market-cap weighting of the FAANGs. RSP outperformed SPY in the decade following the last crisis. I've been tinkering with the idea of allocating 5% to it, but, you know, past performance does not predict blah blah blah

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Thank loving god ZM has meme stock strength. My ill-fated put sale went from -180% to a mere -40%. I’m going to close out before MSFT reports earnings. I think ZM could take a dive when cloud hosting post earnings, as that’ll give some insight into increased expenses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was surprised to see the selling from 10:53am-11:01am as I was about to join a conference call.

I'm surprised to see the buying since then after finishing the call.

Basically I don't know what's going on.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1254746703267270656?s=20

the symbols of his companies are AHT and BHR, which are up 15% and 5% today, respectively. and AINC, up 2%

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm watching SPY this this morning and internally I'm saying this is going to reverse sometime today down towards 280 again (282 I'm guessing), but it just isn't happening. It's getting ready to hit 287 and I'm just dumbfounded really.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I'm watching SPY this this morning and internally I'm saying this is going to reverse sometime today down towards 280 again (282 I'm guessing), but it just isn't happening. It's getting ready to hit 287 and I'm just dumbfounded really.

We hit 287 two Fridays ago.

Then plopped back down to 272 within 2 days.

Basically a substantial majority of market participants have confidence that we should be around here, but not exactly where around here.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Basically a substantial majority of market participants have confidence that we should be around here, but not exactly where around here.

I'm going to try a quick SPY put scalp again .

01 May SPY 285 P @ 2.88

I'll sell before EOD no matter which way things go. Theta is a bitch.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I sold a few covered calls a few weeks ago that are now about 3 days from expiring and just today are barely in the money. I want them to be exercised. What are the chances of it?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

pmchem posted:

if you want to do this, RSP is an interesting play:
https://etfdb.com/etf/RSP/#etf-ticker-profile

equal-weighted S&P 500. So you get the blue chips, but not the market-cap weighting of the FAANGs. RSP outperformed SPY in the decade following the last crisis. I've been tinkering with the idea of allocating 5% to it, but, you know, past performance does not predict blah blah blah

Thanks for the tip.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Admittedly dumb question for y’all:

I have some OTM OIL put options expiring 5/15. Barclays liquidated the fund and delisted it https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barclays-announces-redemption-ipath-series-001100135.html

Am I able to exercise these whenever for maximum profit? Or do I just have to hold these until they expire worthless since they were OTM at the time of fund liquidation?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ho fan posted:

Admittedly dumb question for y’all:

I have some OTM OIL put options expiring 5/15. Barclays liquidated the fund and delisted it https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barclays-announces-redemption-ipath-series-001100135.html

Am I able to exercise these whenever for maximum profit? Or do I just have to hold these until they expire worthless since they were OTM at the time of fund liquidation?

Whenever stuff like this happens your first stop should be to the Options Clearing Corporation:

https://www.theocc.com/webapps/infomemos?number=46863&date=202004&lastModifiedDate=04%2F21%2F2020+00%3A00%3A00

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

People who doubt Musk's vibe tend to get burned

Since Q2 is shot for Tesla, a lot of people think they're going to play games and do everything they can to get Q1 looking good, plus Musk has a massive bonus that he's almost earned if the stock can stay high for a bit longer. It's not worth $300, but I still think it may go up above $800 when earnings are released on Wednesday.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

So my poopy ideas for predicting cases have some results I can look back on:

- Peak error so far for my forecasts from 4/18 is 2.3%. I expect that this will continue to deteriorate with time, because it's a loving forecast. But calling a week with 2% accuracy feels decently good.
- I've tweaked my model because I was applying the linear regression forward from whatever we last observed; this is bad modeling but I was just loving around iteratively. My frozen forecasts from Saturday use the bad thing, and live ones are now applying both the linear growth and intercept out of the linear regression.
- The past week I was mainly interested in trying to get a more convergent model, seeing it swing wildly from full infection in late May to the virus growth halting in early may means it's not predicting anything. I used a 10-day window to try and make an responsive but quasi-stable forecast, and all data since March 22 when I first spotted the acceleration growth trend. The latter is behaving pretty stable in predicting 1% infection in mid May

I originally even bothered to come up with a forecast because I was more interested in having some sort of idea if the growth rate was slowing enough to counteract the preceding spread. The growth rate definitely slowed in March. The infected population was definitely hundreds of thousands of people. I'm not convinced I have a great answer pointing either way, but I am convinced that most uncertainty will shake out in mid-late May and we'll have a good idea where things will be headed by then.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

It really does seem like buying pressure is stalling out in the 285-290 range for now, but I wonder why is that?

If it's fundamentals/PE we should be waaay lower, and if it's FOMO/exhuberance/Brrr there's really no reason to stall here since the sky is the limit.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Freezer posted:

It really does seem like buying pressure is stalling out in the 285-290 range for now, but I wonder why is that?

If it's fundamentals/PE we should be waaay lower, and if it's FOMO/exhuberance/Brrr there's really no reason to stall here since the sky is the limit.

My conspiratorial thinker says that we're hosed and are gonna have a good long shitshow in store for us; the bounce back was creating an opportunity for the rich to get out at a good price before the pain sets in.

But why would that pick 290 as a ceiling? :shrug:

If we're still under 290 next Friday I bet some of the FOMO buyers quickly become FOMO sellers.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Before I make a hugely stupid mistake, could someone help me better understand the effects of upgrading my etrade brokerage to a margin account? I wanted to just do some basic options trading, mostly buy to open/sell to close calls and puts, and maybe sell some covered calls on some ESPP/RSUs I have from my previous employer. I upgraded to level 3 options, and of course that required upgrading to a margin account.

My question is this, is there a way to choose if you purchase on margin vs. purchasing with cash in the same account, or do I need to have a separate cash account for longer-term investing so that I'm not paying interest on margin?

Edit: my experience with options trading has just been on Robinhood, where I had just a few grand of cash to gently caress around with, and didn't gently caress with margin.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You always use cash before the margin, so just pay attention to how much actual cash you have. Margin also lets you use unsettled cash (i.e. cash from a sold stock takes a day or two to become settled and usable again in a cash transaction) which gives you flexibility.

And yes, you do have the option of using pure cash in a margin account, but it's unnecessary since cash is used first regardless, assuming again, you pay attention.

Since I believe L3 does not let you do fully uncovered options with unlimited downside, that shouldn't be a concern there.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 27, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skipdogg posted:

I'm going to try a quick SPY put scalp again .

01 May SPY 285 P @ 2.88

I'll sell before EOD no matter which way things go. Theta is a bitch.

Out of this @ 3.10. Not loving the low volume of things today, and while I think it'll sell off a tiny bit more, I wanted out of the position.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

MetaJew posted:

Before I make a hugely stupid mistake, could someone help me better understand the effects of upgrading my etrade brokerage to a margin account? I wanted to just do some basic options trading, mostly buy to open/sell to close calls and puts, and maybe sell some covered calls on some ESPP/RSUs I have from my previous employer. I upgraded to level 3 options, and of course that required upgrading to a margin account.

My question is this, is there a way to choose if you purchase on margin vs. purchasing with cash in the same account, or do I need to have a separate cash account for longer-term investing so that I'm not paying interest on margin?

Edit: my experience with options trading has just been on Robinhood, where I had just a few grand of cash to gently caress around with, and didn't gently caress with margin.

If you have <$25k in a margin account you will be subject to PDT rules, cash accounts are not (all RH accounts are margin)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Out of this @ 3.10. Not loving the low volume of things today, and while I think it'll sell off a tiny bit more, I wanted out of the position.
Yeah volume on /ES feels like overnight trading. Or ToS is just being laggy :v:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

lurksion posted:

You always use cash before the margin, so just pay attention to how much actual cash you have. Margin also lets you use unsettled cash (i.e. cash from a sold stock takes a day or two to become settled and usable again in a pure cash account) which gives you flexibility.

Since I believe L3 does not let you do fully uncovered options with unlimited downside, that shouldn't be a concern there.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/estation/help?id=1304010000#View

Okay I think you're right about the unlimited downside part-- based on the Level 4 description.

I'm still not 100% clear on your statement that the purchase always uses cash first-- since in this example trade (lol at TSLA filling at $500), it shows my net purchasing power only decreasing buy $250.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have level 3 options through webull on a cash account. I don't trust myself with margin. I have to wait for funds to settle before I can use them again, but option funds settle overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

MetaJew posted:

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/estation/help?id=1304010000#View

Okay I think you're right about the unlimited downside part-- based on the Level 4 description.

I'm still not 100% clear on your statement that the purchase always uses cash first-- since in this example trade (lol at TSLA filling at $500), it shows my net purchasing power only decreasing buy $250.

Purchasing power = cash + potential max margin balance

the funds being used are still cash

when you buy stock it is marginable (take a loan against its value), so the purchasing power doesn't decrease by the entire purchase price of the stock

in this case, TSLA has a 50% maintenance margin, so you can borrow against 50% of its price

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 27, 2020