Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Would anyone like a free copy of Dirt Rally for steam? Got a spare key and all my friends already have it.

Testicle Masochist fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

5 tracks and 3 expansions, so that's presumably 5 tracks in the mould of the "Legendary Race Tracks" DLCs from AMS1 where it was a track with a load of historic variants and I know they've said Silverstone will have at least its 70s and 90s variants and Hockenheim will have its 4 variants of which only 1 is actually fun and not just a boring pile of chicanes. The expansions will probably be like the Brit Pack, which was 3 tracks and and a bunch of cars. So that's something like 12 cars and at least 11 tracks which is a solid amount.

Of course it depends on the cars and tracks, if it's poo poo like Yas Marina and COTA it doesn't matter how much of it you release, it's still poo poo. Though I figure if they go the national pack route and do an American pack there's a solid chance we get Mid Ohio which is a worthwhile trade off for having COTA as well.

The Racin' USA pack better have Road America and Sebring. Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio are good choices too. (I'm the weirdo who doesn't really care for Laguna Seca.)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Spent more time with AMS 2 and I'm really starting to love it. Now that I found the right FFB settings for me I could just... drive, and once all the content is polished up to a consistent level - which Reiza have a good track record with - this might actually lead to me unistalling AMS 1 at some point, something I didn't expect (Though to be fair that is in part because a lot of it the same content just better). The one big open question for me is the AI. I don't expect wonders from AI, but currently it's not in a state to really race against, or at least I haven't found a working combo. And let's be real; multiplayer for this game is just not going to take off ever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The current sweet spot I think for AI aggression is 55%, at 60 they start making dumb mistakes, especially in fast corners (Londrina is hilariously easy with 60% aggro because the AI can't attack the chicane after the first hairpin properly) and 70 has them smashing poo poo up constantly. It is solid to race as it is, though I am still waiting on some tweaks and refinements. Reiza clearly are as well since Renato outright said they're not adding championship mode until they feel the AI is good enough.

And yeah, I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't bother with the multiplayer rating system they've talked about because let's be real here it's not happening.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GhostDog posted:

And let's be real; multiplayer for this game is just not going to take off ever.

Someone really needs to copy the GT Sport multiplayer model and it consistently blows my mind that racing games just keep coming out without good matchmaking.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Personally, I’m not sure why I’d buy AM2 if they’re asking $100+ for their season pass. That’s quite the leap of faith for a game that has a fledgling reputation at best. Iracing may be more expensive, but also has a massive community to back it. I’m still not sure what the appeal of AM2 might be, other than “it looks good.”

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ganondork posted:

Personally, I’m not sure why I’d buy AM2 if they’re asking $100+ for their season pass. That’s quite the leap of faith for a game that has a fledgling reputation at best. Iracing may be more expensive, but also has a massive community to back it. I’m still not sure what the appeal of AM2 might be, other than “it looks good.”

Reiza have a reputation for making good poo poo going back a full decade at this point.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

njsykora posted:

Reiza have a reputation for making good poo poo going back a full decade at this point.

I understand that, I'm more or less commenting on the state of the game, the content available, and their asking price.

It all seems to weigh heavily in their favor.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I mean, the game is 30 bucks right now during EA and probably 50 after, which is a totally fine price for a full fledged new game. It has way more content than vanilla AC had for example, or what you'd get from Raceroom for the same amount of money. The season pass is a bad look, but if you read up on what's probably going to be in there it's still looking cheap by racing sim DLC standards.

Edit: Of course if your interest is multiplayer you don't need to look beyond iRacing (or maybe ACC, that seems to have caught on a little?).

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 15, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has iRacing gotten remotely playable with a controller yet or is it still entirely wheel based?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Has iRacing gotten remotely playable with a controller yet or is it still entirely wheel based?

you CAN play with a controller but I'd recommend against it. Didn't one of the F1 guys just do it with a xbox controller?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tater_salad posted:

you CAN play with a controller but I'd recommend against it. Didn't one of the F1 guys just do it with a xbox controller?
Yeah Jacques Villeneuve did one of the special event races with an Xbox pad.

GhostDog posted:

It has way more content than vanilla AC had for example, or what you'd get from Raceroom for the same amount of money.
I think people do forget how little was in AC at 1.0 launch, I think it was only 9 tracks not counting the drag strip and drift complex.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GhostDog posted:

I mean, the game is 30 bucks right now during EA and probably 50 after, which is a totally fine price for a full fledged new game. It has way more content than vanilla AC had for example, or what you'd get from Raceroom for the same amount of money. The season pass is a bad look, but if you read up on what's probably going to be in there it's still looking cheap by racing sim DLC standards.

Edit: Of course if your interest is multiplayer you don't need to look beyond iRacing (or maybe ACC, that seems to have caught on a little?).

The original AC is good online too, there is always a lot of folk on and some interesting races Tatuus at Laguna a few nights ago was great fun

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There's always the massive LA Canyons for AC. I hear it's pretty drat good.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So I finally got into iRacing and am considering upgrading my setup a little bit. Currently using my Forza 4 edition Fanatec CSR, which still works great, attached to the old XBox 360 racing wheel pedals. I want to upgrade the pedals to get a better braking feel - is there a consensus on a good mid-range pedal set? I currently have the pedals just sitting on the carpet - if I get a set with a load cell, will I need to have something in place to keep them from moving around when I hit the brakes?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

speedtek posted:

So I finally got into iRacing and am considering upgrading my setup a little bit. Currently using my Forza 4 edition Fanatec CSR, which still works great, attached to the old XBox 360 racing wheel pedals. I want to upgrade the pedals to get a better braking feel - is there a consensus on a good mid-range pedal set? I currently have the pedals just sitting on the carpet - if I get a set with a load cell, will I need to have something in place to keep them from moving around when I hit the brakes?

https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedals-lc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In my mind, for affordable there are really only two options.

1-Cheapest: Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals. At $99, the build quality is out of this world. https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedals

2-Better: Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals with Load Cell. Same as number 1, with a load cell, which is amazing https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedals-lc

If you opt for option 1 right now, you can also add the Load Cell down the road. This is what I did, like a week after I got the CSL Elite set becase I was so blown away by the quality. Dont do what I did, if you want a loadcell, just get the loadcell set, its cheaper when you buy the package, rather than the pedal set and then the loadcell separate https://fanatec.com/us-en/accessories/pedal-accessories/csl-elite-pedals-loadcell-kit

Thrustmaster has their own Load Cell pedals, which will probably give the CSL Elites a real run for their money in cost and quality, but they are preorder only right now with no real indication of a concrete release date http://www.thrustmaster.com/press/thrustmaster-t-lcm-pedals-brand-s-most-highly-anticipated-pedal-set

If you've been in this thread a while, you know I'm a huge Thrustmaster fanboy, but there is no way I can tell you to get the T3PA pedals or wait for the T-LCM pedals when the Fanatecs are better than the T3PA's, for cheaper, have a load cell option and are available today. There is nothing that compares to the CSL Elites for the price right now. Going up in price gets you into CSR/Heusinkveld territory, but those are all quite a bit more expensive

e: you will definitely need something to keep a load cell in place. The forces are way higher than a non-load cell. They really need to be bolted down, I cant imagine holding the base with one foot and braking with the other

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 16, 2020

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Great info, thanks! Between the lockdown and the stimulus I've been hoarding money - looks like I'll treat myself to the Elite LC set. For the time being I've just been clamping my wheel to my desk but I do have a CSL wheel stand I can mount everything to.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Bentai posted:

There's always the massive LA Canyons for AC. I hear it's pretty drat good.

I just got it with the full side roads and ai traffic and it is so good. This is probably there most compelling argument to upgrade to vr that I've played with.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I just got it with the full side roads and ai traffic and it is so good. This is probably there most compelling argument to upgrade to vr that I've played with.

Yeah it's so sweet, it gives me strong Outrun vibes, like, choose your own path, go for a drive

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I want to get into this poo poo but my timing is garbage. I can't find a good wheel/pedals anywhere for not cutthroat prices. Missed on two craigslist ads (150$ for g27, 475$ for G27 + playseat + oculus rift) by not responding to the postin within 8 hours. :( Just been kinda refreshing this (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-T300-RS-GT-Edition-Racing-Wheel/55128093) from time to time, since it seems like a good deal compared to the 400+ other sites seem to want.

Where is the secret wheel black market

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can set up a search notification on Craigslist, it's how I scored an old but nice riding mower for $250

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also look on sim racing forums, most of them have a gear for sale section. Or set up a watch on a stock tracking site if you can find one that's actually tracking wheels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kaedric posted:

I want to get into this poo poo but my timing is garbage. I can't find a good wheel/pedals anywhere for not cutthroat prices. Missed on two craigslist ads (150$ for g27, 475$ for G27 + playseat + oculus rift) by not responding to the postin within 8 hours. :( Just been kinda refreshing this (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-T300-RS-GT-Edition-Racing-Wheel/55128093) from time to time, since it seems like a good deal compared to the 400+ other sites seem to want.

Where is the secret wheel black market

keep checking that Walmart link. I think brickseek will let you set up stock alerts at Walmart for any SKU

otherwise its the standard stuff. watch Craigslist and Facebook marketplace like a hawk, use services that will send you alerts on them. in our current quarantine hellworld you have to be the first in line for stuff like that or its gone because the demand way outstrips the supply at this point. yesterday I lost out on a motorcycle that sold within 16 minutes of being listed on FB marketplace

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who’s gonna be the first to pony up?

https://youtu.be/Q2wAsxbLyMM

Some actual sim racing content: https://youtu.be/T2OiA8HNjr8

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That video looks so exaggerated for promo purposes it's hilarious.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
After eight laps your cable is toast.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GhostDog posted:

After eight laps your cable is toast.

Unless you're doing Suzuka.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would hope there is a setting that keeps it from just constantly rotating and twisting your cables in knots.

Especially for racing, I’d think it would make more sense to tilt rather than tilt and endlessly rotate. I get that the rotation probably makes it feel cool but lap after lap of it would have you all wrapped up in cabling

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Instead of a spotter you have your kid/spouse/roommate fix the cable every couple minutes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would hope there is a setting that keeps it from just constantly rotating and twisting your cables in knots.

Especially for racing, I’d think it would make more sense to tilt rather than tilt and endlessly rotate. I get that the rotation probably makes it feel cool but lap after lap of it would have you all wrapped up in cabling

Yeah you only really need a couple of inches of movement or so.
I think it's a really interesting product and at $1500 strangely decent value, I will be keeping an eye on this as I would sooner have one of those than a more tradition sim pit type pile of scaffolding if possible.
It seems that if they nail the software it could be really good.

The vids on their home page look better, but I guess they would

https://www.yawvr.com/

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 27, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly if they add more games like elite dangerous and no mans sky I’d consider it. Even better if they open it up and let people mod support into games for it

That’s a huge amount of motion and options in a tiny footprint for $1500. You’d have to pay more than that for a standard motion rig to do that much

Also someone will come up with a good cable management solution I’m sure.

E: they do have an open system!! https://www.yawvr.com/post/game-engine-1-0-beta-available-now

This could (should) be big

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Anyone still playing assetto corsa?

I've been stockpiling mod tracks and cars and want to see if anyone is interested in doing a weekly goonrace with it? It's come a long way in the past couple years with the mods and it's still really good.

If anyone's interested I can put a list of available tracks and cars and we can pick a few good places to race/trackday/whatever. Then I can pack that week's cars/tracks into a zip so everyone has the content they need to race and I can set up a server.

I can also set up an effort-post on how to get it all set up with the Content Manager/Sol/Custom Shaders Patch mods so it looks like a modern game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GutBomb posted:

I've been stockpiling mod tracks and cars and want to see if anyone is interested in doing a weekly goonrace with it? It's come a long way in the past couple years with the mods and it's still really good.

If anyone's interested I can put a list of available tracks and cars and we can pick a few good places to race/trackday/whatever. Then I can pack that week's cars/tracks into a zip so everyone has the content they need to race and I can set up a server.

I can also set up an effort-post on how to get it all set up with the Content Manager/Sol/Custom Shaders Patch mods so it looks like a modern game.

It's still my fav sim, just got the LA Canyons paid for version, gonna try it tonight hopefully. Content Manager/Sol/Custom Shaders Patch have made it a new sim again really, and I think that will continue with the mod support, it'll never dieeeeee.
My only problem is getting time to race, but I would be interested in crashing into barriers with y'all

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

I'm down for some AC goon time and the mod effort post would be great too.

I still play vanilla AC from time to time but never ventured online.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

important message from five years ago: wow dirt rally is really good! holy moly!! i haven't enjoyed a rally game this much since uhhhhhhh dirt 3

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can simulate 0.5g by tilting 45* correct ? If so that motion unit could be good. However the amount it's tilted back could cause circulation issues after a long drive.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

peter gabriel posted:

It's still my fav sim, just got the LA Canyons paid for version, gonna try it tonight hopefully. Content Manager/Sol/Custom Shaders Patch have made it a new sim again really, and I think that will continue with the mod support, it'll never dieeeeee.
My only problem is getting time to race, but I would be interested in crashing into barriers with y'all

Did they ever fix server hosting being a wild pain in the dick?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

osker posted:

Did they ever fix server hosting being a wild pain in the dick?

they didn't but modders did. It's dead easy now with the Content Manager launcher.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GutBomb posted:

I'd be happy to either link your thread or put your mod collection directly into the OP if you want. I also finally started updating the OP to get AMS2, ACC and so on in but it's gonna be a while yet because I really want to redo it instead of just adding a couple games.

I did host a few AC races a few years back, and maybe it'll be better today but back then participation was always an issue. I'll join if it's EU friendly times.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 27, 2020