Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/IreneWildthyme/status/1253425279738851329?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

The_Doctor posted:

A secret like "How are you in this school when you're clearly in your early 20s?"

A question I ask of every teen drama I’ve ever seen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Bafflegabble/status/1253604911201353728?s=20

Give The Scarifyers a listen. They're great fun, and by the 3rd release they've really found the tone and format.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Paul Cornell wrote a nice little short story in which Benny remembers the events of the Seventh Doctor novel "Human Nature" as she meets Daughter of Mine from the Tenth Doctor episode "Human Nature":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSfOgnDhmRc

EDIT:

And a follow-up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0U_QD568iw

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 24, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, those were both really drat good.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Here's the message from various doctors to various doctors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEuy0H2Zl4

Conclusions I have drawn from it:
  • Sylv has the worst smartphone camera and knows the least about how to use it
  • Tom Baker has a very nice garden
  • Matt Smith apparently lives in a church
  • Colin owns a quite lot of books
  • Jodie Whittaker does in fact own clothes other than her Doctor costume
  • Capaldi's hair is currently operating at a series 9 level of luxuriousness

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Voting Floater posted:

Capaldi's hair is currently operating at a series 9 level of luxuriousness

He shaved it for suicide squad didn't he?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

howe_sam posted:

He shaved it for suicide squad didn't he?

Hair can grow back, you know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how almost everything Tom Baker says sounds like a question.

"The Doctor?"
"Thank you!?!"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Apparently this is a thing.

A "multi-platform story" involving 8, 9 and 10, set during the "Dark Times at the start of the universe", which, uh, I guess is gonna involve David Tennant going a bit power-mad given it's titled Time Lord Victorious. Also Rose's in it.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

I'm guessing those are bowships in the top right of the teaser pic, so vampires have something to do with it?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Okay, which one of you guys thought that season finale was good? Come on, speak up. We never agree on anything, so there has to be someone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Huh, I missed there was a global Five Doctors watch a couple of days ago.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Let’s do the Time War again!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

"Launching over a 12-week period later this year, the story will be delivered by Penguin Random House, BBC Books, Titan Comics, Doctor Who Magazine, Big Finish productions, BBC Audio, action figure company Eaglemoss Hero Collector, Immersive Everywhere, Maze Theory (who made the last Doctor Who VR game) and Escape Hunt (who recently delivered a Dalek-themed escape room), all working together to tell the tale through their own medium."

Seems like a lot.

Hopefully we get a voiced performance from Eccleston though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd love to see the escape room people pull their poo poo off in the new normal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Harlock posted:

"Launching over a 12-week period later this year, the story will be delivered by Penguin Random House, BBC Books, Titan Comics, Doctor Who Magazine, Big Finish productions, BBC Audio, action figure company Eaglemoss Hero Collector, Immersive Everywhere, Maze Theory (who made the last Doctor Who VR game) and Escape Hunt (who recently delivered a Dalek-themed escape room), all working together to tell the tale through their own medium."

Seems like a lot.

Hopefully we get a voiced performance from Eccleston though.

Eight will most likely get a full cast audio, maybe Ten. If Nine gets an audio, it'll be an "enhanced" audiobook, like the intermittent BBC Audios that are being done now. As much as I'd love it, I don't see Eccleston doing it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Presumably Dudman in his cupboard studio.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Harlock posted:

Seems like a lot.

Getting a strong Shadows of the Empire vibe off all that.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Chokes McGee posted:

Okay, which one of you guys thought that season finale was good? Come on, speak up. We never agree on anything, so there has to be someone.

I don't think it's great but I'm not screaming like Chibnall brought my dead dog back to life only to skin her in front of me then made boxing gloves from the skin and started repeatedly punching me in the groin like some other people have been.

It was better than last season, started well but teetered off and didn't have Jodie doing much like a lot of her episodes have ended up being like. Above meh but I'm unsure if I'm comfortable calling it good roughly what I think of it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Eight will most likely get a full cast audio, maybe Ten. If Nine gets an audio, it'll be an "enhanced" audiobook, like the intermittent BBC Audios that are being done now. As much as I'd love it, I don't see Eccleston doing it.

I mean, if you're doing 8-10, covering Time War adjacent poo poo, and you already have one Doctor that won't voice the part, why not throw War into some of the non-audio stories too? Seems like there's a big War Doctor shaped hole in all this.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

I’d say 6 or 7 out of 10. High marks for taking risks, low marks for sidelining the Doctor for most of the episode. High marks for the cyberthreat in part 1 getting trivialized by the Master in part 2, low marks for “I won’t kill you but I’ll run away and let this other guy kill you”, though if they’d executed it better it would have worked. High marks for characterization and development, low marks for a trademark “resolve the plot via last-minute exposition”. I’d rather massive squandered potential over the previous finale’s waste of time and talent.

Tl;dr? It me. Episode good, just on strength of how much it pissed off the fanboys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Last Cyberman revealing what his ultimate masterplan was and the Master's reaction exactly matching mine with,"That's... that's it?" was pretty great :)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Narsham posted:

I’d say 6 or 7 out of 10. High marks for taking risks, low marks for sidelining the Doctor for most of the episode. High marks for the cyberthreat in part 1 getting trivialized by the Master in part 2, low marks for “I won’t kill you but I’ll run away and let this other guy kill you”, though if they’d executed it better it would have worked. High marks for characterization and development, low marks for a trademark “resolve the plot via last-minute exposition”. I’d rather massive squandered potential over the previous finale’s waste of time and talent.

Tl;dr? It me. Episode good, just on strength of how much it pissed off the fanboys.

Yeah, this is generally how I see it. The Big Controversial Bit wasn't actually a big deal to me at all, because there's plenty of room for the (inevitable) walkback. The real problem to it's technically that they came up with a twist that means and changes nothing, but that might end up being sort of a boon because it makes it REALLY easy to undo. It's gonna be very easy to overlook in rewatches.

Still want to see more of those beautifully dumb Cyberman Time Lords though, and I am disappointed that they're definitely never coming back.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is generally how I see it. The Big Controversial Bit wasn't actually a big deal to me at all, because there's plenty of room for the (inevitable) walkback. The real problem to it's technically that they came up with a twist that means and changes nothing, but that might end up being sort of a boon because it makes it REALLY easy to undo. It's gonna be very easy to overlook in rewatches.

Still want to see more of those beautifully dumb Cyberman Time Lords though, and I am disappointed that they're definitely never coming back.

My problem was more it's dumb as hell and makes no sense.

Eleven was on his last legs. If he had endless regenerations PLUS the ability to magically walk away from a fall after being shot without a regeneration the 12 life limit wouldn't apply.

It's just dumb and poorly thought out and makes zero sense. You can't hotshot stuff with 50 years of momentum. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm sure I've posted it before, but again I do have to say that for whatever faults there were, the fact that the Doctor's first reaction after the Master's big long super-important "here's the REAL truth!' story was to say,"Yeah cool whatever but the kid was okay, right?" was :discourse:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I thought the finale and series were awful, but about the same level of awful as the previous series, so I'm kind of surprised honestly on how quickly people turned on the show. I remembered the consensus last year being broad, cautious optimism. Sure, the ratings are down, hence the thread title, but that's all television.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure I've posted it before, but again I do have to say that for whatever faults there were, the fact that the Doctor's first reaction after the Master's big long super-important "here's the REAL truth!' story was to say,"Yeah cool whatever but the kid was okay, right?" was :discourse:

"I've got even more people to do crossover specials with?! Ah, brilliant :haw:"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

My problem was more it's dumb as hell and makes no sense.

Eleven was on his last legs. If he had endless regenerations PLUS the ability to magically walk away from a fall after being shot without a regeneration the 12 life limit wouldn't apply.

It's just dumb and poorly thought out and makes zero sense. You can't hotshot stuff with 50 years of momentum. :(

Setting aside the joke about 10 surviving ridiculous amounts of punishment in his last story without regenerating, your characterization about the regeneration limit isn't supported by the show's own history. Robert Holmes introduced it in The Deadly Assassin to help motivate the Master, and in the Classic series it's always linked to him: wanting more regenerations, getting a new body, being offered a new regeneration cycle by the Time Lords in the Five Doctors. Borusa's desire for "immortality" is potentially distinct from the limit, as it's unclear whether he wants to live forever in his current incarnation or to have endless regenerations. Yes, the Valeyard seems in some way tied to the Doctor's own regenerative cycle, but that's dodgy and we can't trust either his self-characterization or the Master's explanation of his existence. In any event,

We get conflicting evidence about regeneration in the series. The Brain of Morbius, obviously on Chib's mind and shown prior to the regeneration limit being introduced, seems to show multiple past incarnations of the Doctor. Romana I has something funny going on when she regenerates. She's the only character in the classic series we see regenerate besides the Doctor, although it's obviously implied in Borusa's case. Underworld shows that the Minyans, using Time Lord technology, have what appear to be limitless abilities to make their bodies young again. The Cartmel years strongly imply that the Doctor was a contemporary of Omega and Rassilon, which would make him older than it seems he can possibly be with only 13 lives (12 regenerations = 13 lives, not 12). The Master seems to have little trouble chugging along and he's been over the limit since the limit was originally established.

As for the new series, was the Doctor killing all the Time Lords dumb when it turned out that he didn't and he just thought he did? (I suspect you might say "yes.") Eleven thought he was on his last life, and he very clearly lived longer than any other incarnation had; he believed he was going to die and what we saw on the screen was energy coming out of one of the Cracks and the Doctor regenerating. All the rest is inference, either ours or the characters'. Rassilon seems to keep going and going, so he may have a way around the 12 life limit that doesn't involve being turned to stone for eternity. If Me can survive until the end of the universe thanks to a modified chip that appears to be standard gear for an alien species, conceiving of the 12 regeneration limit as an absolute rule and not an arbitrary one seems unrealistic even if you're unwilling to step outside the fiction and recognize that the Doctor can't run out of lives until the show ends, or more to the point, until people stop telling stories about her.

Tl;dr again: dude, if I'm telling you that you're taking this poo poo too seriously, listen.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The difference between The Day of the Doctor retcon and this retcon is that The Day of the Doctor is an ultimate celebration of the character's optimism and their desire to save others, while this retcon seems to exist exclusively to make the Doctor special and insert some dodgy past stuff about Time Lord secret services that could still be done without adding special pre-Hartnell infinite regenerations and a new backstory for Gallifrey that, frankly, I doubt most of the fans care about?

Canon in Doctor Who is sort of pointless to argue about too much, so I feel it's more important to look at what narrative goals are accomplished and what's communicated to the viewers and IMO this finale doesn't communicate very much of import.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly the cannon sillybuggers is secondry to the crushing fact that Chibnal’s who was more the same: Authorial Head-up-own-bum action that drowns out the actors clear ability.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

Setting aside the joke about 10 surviving ridiculous amounts of punishment in his last story without regenerating, your characterization about the regeneration limit isn't supported by the show's own history. Robert Holmes introduced it in The Deadly Assassin to help motivate the Master, and in the Classic series it's always linked to him: wanting more regenerations, getting a new body, being offered a new regeneration cycle by the Time Lords in the Five Doctors. Borusa's desire for "immortality" is potentially distinct from the limit, as it's unclear whether he wants to live forever in his current incarnation or to have endless regenerations. Yes, the Valeyard seems in some way tied to the Doctor's own regenerative cycle, but that's dodgy and we can't trust either his self-characterization or the Master's explanation of his existence. In any event,

We get conflicting evidence about regeneration in the series. The Brain of Morbius, obviously on Chib's mind and shown prior to the regeneration limit being introduced, seems to show multiple past incarnations of the Doctor. Romana I has something funny going on when she regenerates. She's the only character in the classic series we see regenerate besides the Doctor, although it's obviously implied in Borusa's case. Underworld shows that the Minyans, using Time Lord technology, have what appear to be limitless abilities to make their bodies young again. The Cartmel years strongly imply that the Doctor was a contemporary of Omega and Rassilon, which would make him older than it seems he can possibly be with only 13 lives (12 regenerations = 13 lives, not 12). The Master seems to have little trouble chugging along and he's been over the limit since the limit was originally established.

As for the new series, was the Doctor killing all the Time Lords dumb when it turned out that he didn't and he just thought he did? (I suspect you might say "yes.") Eleven thought he was on his last life, and he very clearly lived longer than any other incarnation had; he believed he was going to die and what we saw on the screen was energy coming out of one of the Cracks and the Doctor regenerating. All the rest is inference, either ours or the characters'. Rassilon seems to keep going and going, so he may have a way around the 12 life limit that doesn't involve being turned to stone for eternity. If Me can survive until the end of the universe thanks to a modified chip that appears to be standard gear for an alien species, conceiving of the 12 regeneration limit as an absolute rule and not an arbitrary one seems unrealistic even if you're unwilling to step outside the fiction and recognize that the Doctor can't run out of lives until the show ends, or more to the point, until people stop telling stories about her.

Tl;dr again: dude, if I'm telling you that you're taking this poo poo too seriously, listen.

All I said is it was dumb and contradictory, and you wrote a huge essay to tell me why I'm wrong :shrug:

I mean maybe I am, I am dumb as hell, but still

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Chokes McGee posted:

All I said is it was dumb and contradictory, and you wrote a huge essay to tell me why I'm wrong :shrug:

I mean maybe I am, I am dumb as hell, but still

Nah, you're right.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Canon in Doctor Who is sort of pointless to argue about too much, so I feel it's more important to look at what narrative goals are accomplished and what's communicated to the viewers and IMO this finale doesn't communicate very much of import.

This, exactly. The retcon itself is messy, but there have been messy retcons before and probably will be again. However, the retcon is in service to a nasty, pernicious message that the Doctor isn't special because of who she chooses to be, she's special on account of her birth. Of her blood. That's a far more fatal blow to Doctor Who than canonizing the Morbius doctors or whatever.

The Doctor lived a whole regeneration cycle prior to Hartnell? Sure, if you want. The Doctor is special only because she's the granddaughter of Palpatine? gently caress right off with that.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The Doctor Who finale was bad, but at least it wasn't the Picard finale, in which Picard actually dies and is replaced by an android with Picard's memories. But I'm afraid it'll give Chibnall ideas.

I think part of the problem is that we knew Chibnall isn't finished with all this Timeless Child stuff. He's probably already planned out a story where Whittaker and Martin team up to take down the evil Gallifreyan black ops, which will possibly end with Martin regenerating into Hartnell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I assumed that the Doctor was given the 12 regenerations limit after they were memory wiped, because yeah otherwise 11 would have been able to regenerate before getting the help from the Timelords.

Ugh I hate that I typed that. I'm watching the Three Doctors, and my opinion that Omega should be the timeless child is reinforced. Let's get that retcon going. Omega altered the Matrix somehow and planted the false information that it was the Doctor, in order to manipulate the Master into wiping out the Timelords. There, sorted.

Also I loving love how much the Brigadier can't believe anything that's going on. Accusing the Doctor of misusing UNIT funds when he sees the TARDIS interior for the first time :lol:

More Pertwee rewatch thoughts- I forgot how fun The Time Monster is. All the time shenanigans (baby Benton!) are great fun, the Master is on top form, another version of the fate of Atlantis, hell yeah.

Action Jacktion posted:

The Doctor Who finale was bad, but at least it wasn't the Picard finale, in which Picard actually dies and is replaced by an android with Picard's memories. But I'm afraid it'll give Chibnall ideas.

The Picard finale was fine, it was a bit of a mess but I enjoyed it. It didn't poo poo all over the old series like the Timeless Child crap does. I was dreading a reveal that the Romulans are really robots, or that the Romulans created the Borg, or that AI inevitably goes evil and kills all organics. So what we got was totally fine.

Action Jacktion posted:

I think part of the problem is that we knew Chibnall isn't finished with all this Timeless Child stuff. He's probably already planned out a story where Whittaker and Martin team up to take down the evil Gallifreyan black ops, which will possibly end with Martin regenerating into Hartnell.

For sure. Lets just hope the resolution is that the Doctor isn't really the Timeless child.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

marktheando posted:

For sure. Lets just hope the resolution is that the Doctor isn't really the Timeless child.
If this happens, even if it was planned all along, it'll still feel like backpedaling because everybody hated the story.

But y'know what? I'm fine with it. We can all cheer that Poochie's dead and pretend this poo poo never, ever happened.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pretending something in Doctor Who never happened?

What is this, the 80's?

https://twitter.com/TomPowe63764871/status/1255452129713631233

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there any way, in the US, to watch Doctor Who streaming besides buying the episodes off Amazon? I haven't been able to watch anything after Capaldi's run because I haven't seen the episodes available anywhere. Maybe there were available on the BBC America app when they first aired, but now I think they're nowhere to be seen. I also think two seasons have happened since I last watched? I have a lot to catch up on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
It'll be coming to HBO Max late next month. Another subscription is required, but if you had HBO Now, I think that subscription carries over.

I think in the promo for HBO Max, I don't think it mentioned the latest season. But it should have all of Capaldi and the first season of Whittakers run.

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 29, 2020