Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

extremely mad that i got 40 hours in to CS2 before I found out that the trials chests have lame puns if you're missing someone to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What do you mean? I haven't seen any of the chest jokes in Steel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The chest jokes dont exist, except for the trial chests in 2.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I did see those back then. It has been 2 years...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Erg posted:

extremely mad that i got 40 hours in to CS2 before I found out that the trials chests have lame puns if you're missing someone to do it

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah, I specifically ignored them till I could come with the wrong dudes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MythosDragon posted:

Yeah, I specifically ignored them till I could come with the wrong dudes.

Man that's a lot of walking you're adding for something you could look up!
It's weird that CS3 doesn't have any chests that turn into a combat at all considering they're such a thing in 1/2

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Taear posted:

Man that's a lot of walking you're adding for something you could look up!
It's weird that CS3 doesn't have any chests that turn into a combat at all considering they're such a thing in 1/2

Dude, I uh, I've seen basically every single dialogue variation in SC and TC. Walking for like 3 minutes is a billion times easier than skipping through 2 hour dungeons as fast as I can to see a line I'd already seen before slightly altered to fit the personality of another character. Sometimes the most important lines or the best jokes in the game are hidden in these places....
I really hope we never get a choose your party game again, it really tanks the writing quality to have two characters carrying the entire conversation while the remaining characters chime in with slightly modified to their characters generic lines every 100 lines or so...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean, please keep in choosing the party but just have all the members participate in the story regardless.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Enjoy cold steel 5 with 50 characters

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't mind choose your party but I do mind one-off party members who have shite stats and crappy gear and you don't always get the chance to unequip them before they leave your party.

In Zero I was a massive dick and whenever we had support members I'd just take all their orbments and gear and never have them in the active party.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
You know what whenever they leave your party, any gear that can be changed (so not their weapons) gets dumped into your inventory, right? Same with their orbments.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well NOW I do. Didn't want to take the risk then.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Just finished CS3, that's quite the cliffhanger. I hope the PC version of 4 is early 2021 as opposed to later

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Red Red Blue posted:

Just finished CS3, that's quite the cliffhanger. I hope the PC version of 4 is early 2021 as opposed to later

:shrug: There's no particular reason for it to have a different timeline than 3 did. Which would put it in March, I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Supremezero posted:

:shrug: There's no particular reason for it to have a different timeline than 3 did. Which would put it in March, I guess.

March is optimistic since I assume everyone is halted a bit due to covid.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

March is optimistic since I assume everyone is halted a bit due to covid.

They announced poo poo at the height of covid, so I assume they generally planned based on it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd figure a lot of this can be done remotely, anyway. You don't need to be in an office to translate text, or even record your vocal lines. Might be some finer touches will have to be done once the first wave of the plague passes and before the second wave, but a lot of it I'm sure is able to carry on as normal.

Might be worth asking one of the people involved on Twitter.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Voice acting is probably the part of the process that involves interacting most actually. Cold Steel's dub quality was almost entirely due to Brittany running herself ragged doing every single thing with every VA she possibly could to increase the quality and I admire her greatly for it and everything else she did for the games.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MythosDragon posted:

Voice acting is probably the part of the process that involves interacting most actually. Cold Steel's dub quality was almost entirely due to Brittany running herself ragged doing every single thing with every VA she possibly could to increase the quality and I admire her greatly for it and everything else she did for the games.

You can probably do that remotely too.

It'd likely be a bit harder with lag and poo poo, but there's no particular reason you can't have all that conversation about "Do this instead" over video calls and poo poo. What's she going to do, physically bend them into a posture better conducive to creating the particular voice?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

NISA might just release it undubbed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Brittany who? As you say the quality of the VA performances in Cold Steel is great and I'd like to know who to credit for that (other than the VAs themselves!).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

Brittany who? As you say the quality of the VA performances in Cold Steel is great and I'd like to know who to credit for that (other than the VAs themselves!).

Brittany Avery, former localization producer at XSEED. She was in charge of their Trails in the Sky releases, as well as Trails of Cold Steel I and II.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1150563690288230400?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, looking her up she was someone I'd followed on Twitter due to her fantastic work on previous games. Guess my lovely memory got me again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What the gently caress, she's practicing solo-ing literally the hardest content in the game, in a co-op setting

And for context, Lobelia requires literal months, close to a year to unlock of grinding.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
In Trails from Zero, do I need to unlock all of a monster's information for it to count when talking to Rebecca for rewards? Or do I just need the monster's entry without any of the actual information?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

poe meater posted:

In Trails from Zero, do I need to unlock all of a monster's information for it to count when talking to Rebecca for rewards? Or do I just need the monster's entry without any of the actual information?
You just need the entry. Monster info from a battle scope or Analyze or craft is just for an achievement.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Okay cool, thanks. I'm praying for less tragic backstories after finishing the sky series because jesus christ.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

poe meater posted:

Okay cool, thanks. I'm praying for less tragic backstories after finishing the sky series because jesus christ.

The sheer volume of dead parents in all of the games is mind blowing.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Hey, at least Renne's parents are alive and well :gbsmith:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Taear posted:

To be fair the generation prior had poo poo-tons of all-out war and stuff like the salt pale.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 27, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Hey, at least Renne's parents are alive and well :gbsmith:

It's a small consolation for the most tragic backstory.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Taear posted:

tbh I often mentally compare Trails to One Piece because of how it takes a while to really get started, the size of the plot and sheer volume of named characters, the way alliances change over time, the overall upbeat nature of the story, and the way no one dies except in the suprisingly grim backstories

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 27, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm in the finale of Zero and god this game owns. I must admit though I am kind of disappointed it was so easy to immediately spot the secretly evil person. My wife and I got it right like two seconds after his introduction just by looking at his occupation and character design lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm in the finale of Zero and god this game owns. I must admit though I am kind of disappointed it was so easy to immediately spot the secretly evil person. My wife and I got it right like two seconds after his introduction just by looking at his occupation and character design lol

I said it a page or two back but the climatic battle theme outside the IBC really sticks in my head, definitely helped by the external observers singing your praises.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I said it a page or two back but the climatic battle theme outside the IBC really sticks in my head, definitely helped by the external observers singing your praises.

I've had that track looping on YT a lot the last few days, it's so good

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Anyone aware if there's an inspiration for Trails using the four classical elements and adding it's specific higher elements to it? Reading something right now and it used the exact same elements, order, and general effects as Trails and trying to figure out if there's myths I'm not aware of that would lead to this or if its straight up referencing Trails.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's probably not a Trails reference until somebody stops holding back, or tries to gently caress their surrogate brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MythosDragon posted:

Anyone aware if there's an inspiration for Trails using the four classical elements and adding it's specific higher elements to it? Reading something right now and it used the exact same elements, order, and general effects as Trails and trying to figure out if there's myths I'm not aware of that would lead to this or if its straight up referencing Trails.

Time and space are pretty standard elements, but Mirages is... odd, to say the least, so :shrug: