Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have the standard 'each box may not contain everyone' thing, but most likely a box of 8 has all of them with a double. Then the double may sometimes be the chase. It usually works that way.

Gripweed posted:

yeah which is really annoying for army builders

But those are all unique characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Aphrodite posted:

But those are all unique characters.

Yeah, and you don't know which one you're gonna get which is annoying for army builders who would want like twenty of a specific one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

Generally you want to do subassemblies first. Although Star Wars ships are pretty simple without many moving parts, so you'll probably be able to get away with painting after final assembly. Bandai kits don't actually need glue, but if you're painting it you'll probably want plastic cement for visible seams.

I'd suggest taking your questions to the modelling thread in ADTRW, we're all about the Bandai kits there.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I prefer to look over the pieces and do a dry run in my head, trying to balance difficulty in painting post assembly/whether anyone can actually see the area after assembly/chance to screw tone matching up if I paint adjoining areas at different times.

The glue will depend on what you're building. Model glue works by melting the plastic to create a fused joint. It's very strong but needs clean plastic to plastic contact to join so it won't work very well on painted areas. Super glue is good for painted contact areas of thin join sections but will dig up clear plastic so you don't want to use it for canopies.

Excellent, thanks for the advice guys. I think those Bandai kits will be my next project after I finish up the D&D stuff.

Does anyone here have a Black Series Heavy Mandolorian Infantry they'd care to part with or know where I can find one for a decent price? Most of the ones on ebay are going for double retail.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, and you don't know which one you're gonna get which is annoying for army builders who would want like twenty of a specific one.

That's illegal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Adam16bit/status/1254307215416061953?s=20

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Props to Lanard for convincing Walmart into stocking dollar store GI Joes in slightly different packaging for about the tenth time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gann Jerrod posted:

Props to Lanard for convincing Walmart into stocking dollar store GI Joes in slightly different packaging for about the tenth time.

Hey their Aliens sets were pretty great.

Granted the human figures were not good but the Aliens and vehicles were great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh, I saw that the other day. Again, not great, but fun that it’s even out there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Japan suspended mail to the US, so rip all you anime figure collectors.

Looking at you, Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All my poo poo comes from China.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If you order with DHL shipping you’re fine.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Nanigans posted:

If you order with DHL shipping you’re fine.

I think it’s only Japan’s internal postal service.. like EMS which is their version of the USPS.

3rd Party shippers like FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc shouldn’t be affected right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gann Jerrod posted:

I'm pretty sure they bought the molds for the 90s Jurassic Park dinos and are doing selling them at Walmart too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got the new Rhino Alien Kenner remake figure from NECA, and holy goddamn is it awesome.

It’s missing one point of articulation on the back legs that would be useful for stability - I get why they cut it because it lets the sculpt be more faithful to the Kenner toy, but I’d have been okay with them compromising on that so they could put the articulation in.

I also kinda wish it had big stompy feet like the Kenner toy but I suspect they did it this way so they could reuse the mold for a Bull Alien.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xenomrph posted:

I got the new Rhino Alien Kenner remake figure from NECA, and holy goddamn is it awesome.

It’s missing one point of articulation on the back legs that would be useful for stability - I get why they cut it because it lets the sculpt be more faithful to the Kenner toy, but I’d have been okay with them compromising on that so they could put the articulation in.

I also kinda wish it had big stompy feet like the Kenner toy but I suspect they did it this way so they could reuse the mold for a Bull Alien.

I saw that the other day, and drat he’s huge.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’d say the Rhino is about as long as the Mantis Alien is tall; that figure is also huge.

Speaking of, what are some good ways to tighten up figure joints? My Mantis Alien’s legs kind of collapse on themselves due to the figure’s weight and he just looks like he’s squatting down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jet Ready Go posted:

I think it’s only Japan’s internal postal service.. like EMS which is their version of the USPS.

Japan's postal service is just called Japan Post.

EMS is a service level under a big international co-op agreement. Something like 200 countries have EMS. It's not always called EMS though. USPS calls theirs Priority Mail Express International. Canada's is XpressPost. It's usually just handled by the postal service of the country but you have some cases like the UK where it's Parcelforce and has its own identity, branding, trucks etc. even though they're part of Royal Mail.

Apparently for EMS from Japan to the US they have a 4 month backlog right now.

quote:

3rd Party shippers like FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc shouldn’t be affected right?

They're affected, but for the US it's minor. Like DHL is reporting 1 extra day wait. They have their own planes so it's just the heightened security and volume that's slowing them down.

Postal services like Japan Post ship most of their stuff on commercial flights though, and well...

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of, what are some good ways to tighten up figure joints? My Mantis Alien’s legs kind of collapse on themselves due to the figure’s weight and he just looks like he’s squatting down.

a *TINY* dab of Pledge floor polish, or if your brave, put some super glue in the joint, and keep it moving while the glue sets.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

He is awesome. Does the "removable" headpiece on yours not want to stay attached as well? On mine it is only held on by the horn it slots around. Otherwise there's no friction or anything to hold it in place.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiftypenguin posted:

He is awesome. Does the "removable" headpiece on yours not want to stay attached as well? On mine it is only held on by the horn it slots around. Otherwise there's no friction or anything to hold it in place.

Mine stays on pretty well, not as bad as I was expecting. If it really came down to it I was ready to glue mine in place because the ridges underneath are a neat touch but not being able to see them is far from a dealbreaker for me; the dome look is way, way better.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

Mine stays on pretty well, not as bad as I was expecting. If it really came down to it I was ready to glue mine in place because the ridges underneath are a neat touch but not being able to see them is far from a dealbreaker for me; the dome look is way, way better.

Ah. Maybe mine is a bit defective. I have to remove the dome to pose it, otherwise it'll fall off.

I too like the under-the-dome texture and think it looks cool. If the dome were more transparent (like on some of the vanilla alien characters) I'd be all for glueing it on as well.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
My MAFEX Cyclops missed the EMS cutoff by a day and has been sitting at the shopping post office for 3 weeks now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

My MAFEX Cyclops missed the EMS cutoff by a day and has been sitting at the shopping post office for 3 weeks now.

It probably wouldn't have helped anyway. Mail to Canada isn't shut down, and mine is still stuck in Posting/Collections for 10 days.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hot Toys Spider-Gwen announced also comes with Spider-Ham.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Vintersorg posted:

Hot Toys Spider-Gwen announced also comes with Spider-Ham.

It’s up on Sideshow, no deposit

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, I was annoyed that the exclusive version of Gordon Freeman sold out on Mondo (as well as the regular one), but I found the regular one for 179.99 and free shipping on surethingtoys.com so yay for saving 20 bucks and whatever shipping would have ran.

I can always print and paint a head crab.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

For some reason Amazon decided that I only needed 5 of the 7 figures in the Gamerverse wave. I don't need Leader and Mar-Vell I guess.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Enh, what can you really do with toys that have the power of really smart and cancer?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Joe Fisto posted:

For some reason Amazon decided that I only needed 5 of the 7 figures in the Gamerverse wave. I don't need Leader and Mar-Vell I guess.

I got Dark Beast and Wild Thing. Not the best when what I really wanted was Sugar Man.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cloks posted:

I got Dark Beast and Wild Thing. Not the best when what I really wanted was Sugar Man.

I got suckered into grabbing Sunfire and Dark Beast, might end up grabbing Morph too. If so, you can have the BAF pieces off me for cheap, if you want.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Fuzz posted:

I got suckered into grabbing Sunfire and Dark Beast, might end up grabbing Morph too. If so, you can have the BAF pieces off me for cheap, if you want.

I appreciate it but I managed to order them all from Amazon, I just have no idea when they'll ship.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh, so you're Waiting for Sugarman.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Joe Fisto posted:

I cancelled my amazon order for The Child and re-ordered on BBTS. Amazon workers, along with Target, Instacart, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods workers, are currently on strike due to unsafe working conditions from coronavirus. Sorry to bring politics into this thread but y’all should not be crossing the virtual picket line (unless of course you disagree with the workers’ demands)

As for the Gamerverse line, did you check Gamestop? They’ve had a lot of that stuff on sale recently, although the availability for shipping vs. store pick-up is pretty inconsistent.

Edit: VVVV Power to the penguins!

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 2, 2020

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Chill Penguin posted:

I cancelled my amazon order for The Child and re-ordered on BBTS. Amazon workers, along with Target, Instacart, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods workers, are currently on strike due to unsafe working conditions from coronavirus. Sorry to bring politics into this thread but y’all should not be crossing the virtual picket line (unless of course you disagree with the workers’ demands)

As for the Gamerverse line, did you check Gamestop? They’ve had a lot of that stuff on sale recently, although the availability for shipping vs. store pick-up is pretty inconsistent.

I did the same, but with Dorkside and they had my order to me in 5 days presumably without the human rights violations.

Edit: I just noticed our username combo. Us penguin folks are apparently getting uppity.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 2, 2020

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Finally got a couple of action figures that were stranded in the other side of the border for a couple of months:

First is SHF Infinity War Hulk. This figure is just awesome. It's a really beefy figure, bigger than Figma Hulk and I think it's a little bit bigger than the ML one. Probably the definitive 1/12 Hulk.

I also got Mezco Freddy for a good price on ebay. It's kinda annoying how the sweater is not screen accurate, but I don't mind that much. I expected the lovely Joker body they use for thin characters on this figure, but they used and improved body with double jointed elbows and knees, so the articulation is top notch. There isn't that many accesories included, but they compensated with 4 amazing headsculpts and what's probably the best Mezco base I have seen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The sweater is screen accurate for the first film.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

The sweater is screen accurate for the first film.

Holy poo poo, it's true! It's been so long since I watched the first movie that my mental image of Freddy it's closest to the other films were the sweater has the green strips on the arms.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah to be fair to you he’s had the stripped sweater from 2 onward. Basically that’s Freddy’s main look entirely.

One is the singular outlier

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Kingping was announced as a Marvel Legends release in the Spider-Man vintage line. $30, can be pre-ordered on most sites now. I'm only buying him because my Shadow King head needs a home.

https://marvelousnews.com/252-26868

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I had a huge collection of those Spidey animated series figures but I gave them all to some neighborhood kid about 10 years ago. I remember buying the Rhino figure with 30 of my own dollars at a collector toy store. It was super rare and I was like 11 years old

edit: since its may 4 which I guess is a new holiday here's some bad cell phone pictures of my star wars figures

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 4, 2020