Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Josef bugman posted:

How is everyone else doing by the way?

Went back to work doing cover at a site which is running at about 20% of it usual capacity, so I'm essentially doing what I'd be doing at home while furloughed but somewhere else and at full salary and not drinking as much coffee. And being around other people is probably good for my mental health than being at home alone. Traffic was certainly heavier, but still very much "early Sunday morning" than normal levels

e: Excise Notice 226: Beer Duty explains the effects of the law and regulations covering the production, storage and accounting for duty on beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are we still allowed to make decisions? Like I've read advice from people, for instance a charitable organisation regarding childcare, that says they have interpreted the government rules in a certain way and that you are allowed to do X thing as long as it is safe. Who gets to make the decision on whats safe? Like am I allowed to look at the sort of edge cases mentioned elsewhere and do a risk assessment and decide the thing I want to do is actually less bad and so I can do it?

Is it 'breaking the rules' for a couple to send their primary school kids to their young set of grandparents who have slightly older kids and live just round the corner under the auspices of a mental health break. I have no idea if I have used the word auspices right either.

just have a massive barney with the mrs and then you can leave for a few days, I think this is more your wheelhouse tbh

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Josef bugman posted:

It's not that it's just that I keep feeling like I make the same mistakes over and over even when I am trying not to. It's frustrating.

Therapist said I should be kinder to myself. I disagree.

You remain perhaps the most consistently pleasant, thoughtful, and agreeable person ITT and I agree with your therapist 100%.

I'm doing well currently, haven't had anything worse than some insomnia the last few days, which by my standards is practically the establishment of Christ's Kingdom on Earth. I don't have any Dr P atm though, so it's one of those tricksy Bad Place deals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

It's not that it's just that I keep feeling like I make the same mistakes over and over even when I am trying not to. It's frustrating.

Then I guess the trick is figuring out what keeps pushing you to make the same mistakes, generally I find in that instance there is some other hangup, tendency, quirk of personality, or situation that is pushing you to make the error, and identifying that can be difficult. I agree that kindness for yourself is good, not least because it's good practice for being kind to others and you don't teach people by being cruel to them. While satisfying it's really just for the benefit of the person doing it, not the recipient. Of course when those two are the same person it gets complicated and I'm sure that's how you end up with a complex, which is a lot of effort so I advise against it.

Otherwise I guess I'm managing OK. CJ started LPing Death Stranding which I'm looking forward to watching because he does good LPs which preserve the feel of the source material and it's an interesting looking game.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Gorn Myson posted:

Its such a misfire of a show. They got a huge budget and a platform to do and write anything they want about so many relevant issues and they way they depict this is through bizarre confusing plots, repeating twists and just some stunningly awful dialogue.

And if we're talking about TV, the second season of Gervais' Netflix show is one of the worst seasons of TV I have ever seen.

I liked the first 2 seasons but haven't felt the same about this one, I like what it could be but its taking a bit long.

I've been thinking about how automation of work might pick up due to this, companies looking to 'corona proof' their business or what have you. I reckon by the next election they'll be talking more about automation that this crisis.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is it 'breaking the rules' for a couple to send their primary school kids to their young set of grandparents who have slightly older kids and live just round the corner under the auspices of a mental health break. I have no idea if I have used the word auspices right either.

It sounds a little bit like breaking the rules. But then, who doesn't break a few rules now and then?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't have any Dr P atm though
There's been a packaging change. Dr P is stored in the Bawls.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are we still allowed to make decisions? Like I've read advice from people, for instance a charitable organisation regarding childcare, that says they have interpreted the government rules in a certain way and that you are allowed to do X thing as long as it is safe. Who gets to make the decision on whats safe? Like am I allowed to look at the sort of edge cases mentioned elsewhere and do a risk assessment and decide the thing I want to do is actually less bad and so I can do it?

"Under the auspices of [x]" means "with the help or support of [x]", so like, if Labour had commissioned an independent report into Ian McNichol's office's leakers (lol) then it wouldn't be being run by Labour, but under the auspices of Labour.

You might be looking for "under the guise of" but it's possible there's also some other more suitable term which is currently eluding me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Thanks to the Behind the Bastards podcast I have learned that at least one cop wasn't a (complete) bastard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Hatfield
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Matewan

quote:

On the day of the fight, a group of the Baldwin-Felts enforcers arrived to evict families living at the mountain coal camp, just outside Matewan. The sheriff and his deputy, Fred Burgraff, sensed trouble and met the Baldwin-Felts detectives at the train station. News of the evictions soon spread around the town. When Sid Hatfield approached Felts, Felts served a warrant on Hatfield, which had been issued by Squire R. M. Stafford, a Justice of the Peace of Magnolia District, Mingo County, West Virginia, for the arrest of Hatfield, Bas Ball, Tony Webb and others, which warrant was directed to Albert C. Felts for execution. The warrant turned out to be fraudulent. Burgraff's son reported that the detectives had sub-machine guns with them in their suitcases. Hatfield, Burgraff, and Mayor Cabell Testerman met with the detectives on the porch of the Chambers Hardware Store. It is still unknown whether it was Hatfield or the leading detective, Albert Felts, who shot Testerman first, though what followed was Hatfield shooting Felts. Later Thomas Felts (brother of Albert and Lee Felts who died in the battle) and the Baldwin-Felts spy Charles Lively spread rumors that Sid shot Testerman because he had feelings for his wife. The rumors were never confirmed, although he did marry her after Testerman's death. After the detective and mayor fell wounded, Sid kept firing, but Felts escaped. He took shelter in the Matewan Post Office, and Hatfield eventually found him there and shot him. When the shooting finally stopped, the townspeople came out, many wounded. There were casualties on both sides. Seven Baldwin-Felts detectives were killed, including Albert and Lee Felts. One more detective had been wounded. Two miners were killed: Bob Mullins, who had just been fired for joining the union, and Tot Tinsley, an unarmed bystander. The wounded mayor was dying, and four other bystanders had been wounded.

We'll just skate over him marrying the widow of the Mayor he may or may not have shot, dude literally led a gunfight against heavily-armed union-busters.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kecske posted:

just have a massive barney with the mrs and then you can leave for a few days, I think this is more your wheelhouse tbh

Lol yeah. Problem is it's her that wants rid.

WhatEvil posted:

"Under the auspices of [x]" means "with the help or support of [x]", so like, if Labour had commissioned an independent report into Ian McNichol's office's leakers (lol) then it wouldn't be being run by Labour, but under the auspices of Labour.

You might be looking for "under the guise of" but it's possible there's also some other more suitable term which is currently eluding me.

Thanks. Although that was the bit of the post that was causing me somewhat less trouble.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

There's been a packaging change. Dr P is stored in the Bawls.

Well how in the hell am I supposed to get it out of there? You can't social distance in a glory hole!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
RE that public questions thingy:

quote:

First question from the public - can we hug our grandchildren?

Lynne from Skipton is the first member of the public to get her question asked.

She says she is missing her grandchildren so much, and wants to know if when measures start to be eased, being able to hug them will be one of the first steps.

Prof Chris Whitty says for many, being able to interact with family is "absolutely essential".

But he warns that it "depends on the situation", and if she is older and needs to be shielded, she will still need to be protected.

Matt Hancock says he understands the impact of not being able to hug closest family, adding: "It affects all of us too.

"We just hope we can get back to that as soon as possible and way to get there fastest is to follow the rules on social distancing."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
An auspice is where very sick people are cared for afaik :dadjoke:

quote:

Coronavirus: Greggs to begin reopening shops amid lockdown

The bakery chain, which has more than 2,050 shops, said it would open 20 of them in the Newcastle area from Monday 4 May as part of a "controlled trial", with more to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52445696

So who's up for a drive to Newcastle

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 27, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When is lynne from skipton going to get a guardian column with that level of journalistic incisiveness?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well i am getting furlough pay its just 80% of minimum wage because of how my umbrella company pays us lol

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Adequate posted:

Well how in the hell am I supposed to get it out of there? You can't social distance in a glory hole!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

I demand to speak to the manager :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you're very talented I don't see how you could get coronavirus from a bj through a hole in the wall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thanks to the Behind the Bastards podcast I have learned that at least one cop wasn't a (complete) bastard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Hatfield
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Matewan

We'll just skate over him marrying the widow of the Mayor he may or may not have shot, dude literally led a gunfight against heavily-armed union-busters.
Don Chafin otoh was a complete poo poo, and yeah the whole of the West Virginia Mine Wars is fascinating and :stonk:

HJB posted:

RE that public questions thingy:
"Not being able to hug your grandchildren affects us all too," says Tory MP.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Went back to work doing cover at a site which is running at about 20% of it usual capacity, so I'm essentially doing what I'd be doing at home while furloughed but somewhere else and at full salary and not drinking as much coffee. And being around other people is probably good for my mental health than being at home alone. Traffic was certainly heavier, but still very much "early Sunday morning" than normal levels

That is good. I am surprised that there are even people out on the roads at the moment to be completely honest!

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm doing well currently, haven't had anything worse than some insomnia the last few days, which by my standards is practically the establishment of Christ's Kingdom on Earth. I don't have any Dr P atm though, so it's one of those tricksy Bad Place deals.

That is good to hear! Not a big fan of Dr P myself, but I hope you are able to get some soon!

OwlFancier posted:

Otherwise I guess I'm managing OK. CJ started LPing Death Stranding which I'm looking forward to watching because he does good LPs which preserve the feel of the source material and it's an interesting looking game.

oooh, I might have a look into this! Thank you!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
fucks sake turns out i wasn't getting any NHS volunteer alerts for the last month because i forgot to set 'active duty' on in the app

:rip:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pure creasing at this, lmao lmao

e; Thanks Josef, I might trundle to the shop later (We do actually need a couple of real things as well so it's not a complete bullshit excuse) but I think there will be grocery shopping tomorrow that should sort that problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

oooh, I might have a look into this! Thank you!

Thread's here and I recommend his other LPs too, The Surge is good as is Bloodborne, he keeps the mood of the games pretty well I think, knows when to be quiet and let the game take precedence, also very chill commentary generally.

Also if anyone is looking for just pure distilled joy and wholesomeness in video format the SnapCube youtube channel is absolutely wonderful, just a little island of happiness.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 27, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

Your therapist is right imo. Obviously only know you through the forum, but you strike me as a decent person who is just like the rest of us & sometimes you gently caress up & it bothers you but you learn from it & try not to do it again.

One time, before the coconut incident, I misgendered TinTower. Not intentionally, I had no idea she was a woman and I felt incredibly bad about it because I'm sure I was in the midst of roasting her for generally being a liberal and so it could have been construed as me being cruel rather than just lazily assuming everyone on the internet is a guy. I dunno, until I joined Something Awful I really didn't have much interaction with trans people, I knew they existed & had no problem with them but I'll be honest, I didn't understand it & I probably had some vaguely regressive opinions on the whole pronouns things because I didn't get it. Was never a bigot about it or anything but I just didn't get it, I was naive. Anyway, all this is to say I still sometimes think about the time I accidentally misgendered someone I didn't even like & feel bad about it. But I learned from it & hopefully haven't hosed up since (I generally try & use neutral pronouns like they when I don't know for example). It's all we can do. Bad people? They don't dwell, they don't try to learn from their mistakes, they don't think they have to change or respect other people.

I've mainly been fine with the lockdown, I'm not much of a social animal anyway most of the time, most of what I'm missing is just getting away from my village for an afternoon, but it's generally quiet enough that just going out & sitting in the garden has been enough for me. That said, had a wobble last Tuesday, not really sure why, woke up feeling fine but after a couple hours my mood was through the floor. That sucked but also didn't actually last that long. I remember listening to a podcast & someone said something that made me laugh & it was like the clouds just opened up above me & the sunlight shone in. That was honestly the first big wobble I've had in a long time, over a year, maybe even 2. Sertraline has done wonders for me, to the point that I'm just resigned to accepting the lovely side effects I get at this dosage because it's worth it to not constantly deal with suicidal ideation.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Big split in the Tory party, the old guard ultra right wing capitalist and Boris and his cronies.

I mean we kind of knew this but my dad who is firmly in the first camp couldn’t bring himself to be happy that Boris survived today, which means unless poo poo opens soon, and the over 70s are told to stay locked down, Boris is going to be retiring to spend more time with his new baby or face the full consequences of whatever the sun has locked in the safe.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Convex posted:

fucks sake turns out i wasn't getting any NHS volunteer alerts for the last month because i forgot to set 'active duty' on in the app

:rip:

The app is dogshit OP and weirdly wants permissions to everything, seems like an OPSEC nightmare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Big split in the Tory party, the old guard ultra right wing capitalist and Boris and his cronies.

I mean we kind of knew this but my dad who is firmly in the first camp couldn’t bring himself to be happy that Boris survived today, which means unless poo poo opens soon, and the over 70s are told to stay locked down, Boris is going to be retiring to spend more time with his new baby or face the full consequences of whatever the sun has locked in the safe.

I wonder what that will do to their perception, I can't imagine it would go down very well with the public given that boris is the only thing that passes for charismatic they have.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ayyyyyyyy guess who got into newcastle!!!

it's not scotland as was my preference but i wouldn't have applied if it wasn't pushes and support from you nerds. <3

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what that will do to their perception, I can't imagine it would go down very well with the public given that boris is the only thing that passes for charismatic they have.

Anyone can be made to look charismatic by a sufficiently determined press, C.f. Rees-Mogg, Jacob.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

CoolCab posted:

it's not scotland as was my preference but i wouldn't have applied if it wasn't pushes and support from you nerds. <3

Goongrats, what are you studying (I assume this is uni). I'm a Newcastle graduate who still lives in the area. Let me know if I can be any help.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

winegums posted:

Goongrats, what are you studying (I assume this is uni). I'm a Newcastle graduate who still lives in the area. Let me know if I can be any help.

business management! i want a degree so i can move back to the arctic in canada, and that's a really good one to snag a job up there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Anyone can be made to look charismatic by a sufficiently determined press, C.f. Rees-Mogg, Jacob.

Counterpoint: May, Theresa.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

Nice..Northumbria applications for masters are pretty late but I need to get on it

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ey up

Josef bugman posted:

My first therapy session, my therapist said similar and it's something we worked on and it helped me a lot. Rather than trying to bully myself into poo poo like that's gonna suddenly start working, I try to mentally be my own buddy. It's work at first but you settle into it.

I'm doing really good myself, avoiding the poo poo out of things. Kinda miss some bits like going out for a cheap meal with the missus while the kids were at school but it's not bugging me as much as I thought.

Overheard an earnest sounding "things will be all back to normal in a few weeks" while distance queuing and had a bit of a misanthropic and angry few moments of fucks sake loving humans we're loving doomed but dropped it quick and went and sat in the woods and ate expired army rations and chilled

Then came home and watched my neighbor get arrested so in all a day of contrasts tbh

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

So you know how Google and Apple collaborated to create an anonymous and decentralised exposure tracing/alert system that works across both operating systems that's going live in May?

The UK has formally rejected it and is instead pursuing it's own apps in collaboration with GCHQ.

The BBC link touches on the difference (centralised Vs decentralised), but to be explicit about it the version the NHS is developing will log the identities of everybody you come in contact with and make this accessible for query as opposed to the Apple/Google system that doesn't match phone tokens to identities and can't be centrally inspected.

Nobody* will care, but it's still very bad for civil liberties. Also your battery life.

*you know what I mean.

E: for reference here's an overview of the Google/Apple solution

blunt fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 27, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Congratulations CoolCab!

Do they still have that all you can eat buffet restaurant in Newcastle? You should definitely go there if they do.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Panorama just now tore into the Tories big time regarding their shambolic handling of the pandemic, few different ways of reading into it but it could well have an effect on the public perception of the situation if nothing else.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Desperate Dan for thread Dad. Bugman for thread Hero. Jose for thread Survivor

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

CoolCab posted:

Yeah!! Congrats CoolCab you done good, now get you that degree and improve your life prospects! :D

Sloth Life posted:

Desperate Dan for thread Dad. Bugman for thread Hero. Jose for thread Survivor

Jose for thread supervillain. I mean, why else do those disasters keep occurring wherever he goes?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

HJB posted:

Panorama just now tore into the Tories big time regarding their shambolic handling of the pandemic, few different ways of reading into it but it could well have an effect on the public perception of the situation if nothing else.

loony lefty BBC at it again :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HJB posted:

*brushes dust off of shoulders

Yup, called it.

The Uber Tories are currently *ashamed* of the current government’s handling on this situation, with most of them it’s your usual aura of evil associated with capitalism but with those who matter - they will never forgive them for not successfully fudging the figures. If they had pulled off putting “only tested hospital cases” in really small letters then they might have been ok, but they forgot the office of national statistics exists so...