Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

fifty-four thousand dead in the us

Yesterday had nearly half the deaths as the day before, but there was also a large drop the previous Sunday. Could be a delay in reporting on weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Its just the flu. Ok, two flu seasons. In a month. But pretty much the same.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“It’s just the 1918 spanish flu, bro”

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

What in the flying gently caress is this 5-4 Supreme Court majority on this case?

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1254774269692612608?s=19

That is a loving wild lineup of justices and the chambers discussions had to be really weird.

Oh man I gotta read the opinions on this I'm honestly shocked Thomas didn't join the majority

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just having a 9/11 every day in spite of mass shelter in place orders. Totally ready to get back to the office via public transportation

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

As of 22 Apr (last update), the vaunted IMHE model projected 67,641 total US deaths through 4 August, with a lower bound of about ~48,000.

I get that they originally constructed the model solely to help predict the timing and size of peak hospital resource utilization but they're going to end up being a case study for understanding when you've exceeded the bounds of your model's predictive ability and not inflating the confidence interval 'because otherwise what's the point of the model?'

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Terrifying Effigies posted:

As of 22 Apr (last update), the vaunted IMHE model projected 67,641 total US deaths through 4 August, with a lower bound of about ~48,000.

There are pretty much two major "flaws" in that model - a lot of the initial model assumptions came from the bad Chinese data and the model assumed that social distancing measures would be sustained throughout the entirety of May. It's not really a bad model, it's just that the modelling kind of inherently sucks for this kind of thing when there's a ton of uncertainty and lousy priors.

I believe the IHME model is due for an update shortly and they're going to dump the May-distancing assumption, so the death projections are going up. NUMBER GO UP

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm starting to fear we won't get any Seattle Mariners baseball this year :(

At least football will still likely take place, although probably with empty stadiums.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there any talk about another stimulus payment?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bloops posted:

Nothing concrete, but Jersey is among a few states practically begging for one to avoid outright budget implosion.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The $2k/month until the economy gets spinning again bill is still alive but pretty stalled out as far as I can tell

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Talk but no action. I keep seeing Forbes articles about stimulus proposals though.

Forbes seems to pop up frequently in my google news app. I don't seek it out, but they also have random video game articles lately. The gently caress is going on at Forbes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

The $2k/month until the economy gets spinning again bill is still alive but pretty stalled out as far as I can tell

Just rename it the "Trumpbux bill" and it'll pass. (and Biden will speak out against the reckless spending trumpbux represents in the fall)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

bloops posted:

There's been some chatter on the Dem side, though not a huge amount of solid numbers other than some generous monthly proposals from the progressives like Rashida Tlaib. I think it's likely that the Dems will include another round of checks and other huge payments in what they're calling the "Phase IV bill" (Which Biden has supported, and has said should be even bigger than the CARES act), but it's difficult to say whether it's going to get through the Senate, as McConnell seems to think it's actually time we start talking about the deficit.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bloops posted:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1254764438000984064?s=19

The Republicans in the Senate are more or less threatening to force bankruptcy on coronavirus-hit blue states, while completely ignoring the broke red states, so I would absolutely, positively not count on it. The ghouls are more or less content to shove things open and if you're not cool with that, gently caress you, go collect unemployment (lol if you can get in). By the way, a McConnell priority is also shielding employers from COVID-related lawsuits.

The near-inevitable second wave may change things, but it sure seems like you got what you got.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Has Nancy stopped doing her home-made MTV Cribs livestreams and gotten back to the Capitol yet?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/_JakubJanda/status/1254488877223612421?s=20

Russia sent assasins to thr Czech Republic, and is mounting a massive intelligence operation and diplomatic pressure on both Poland and the Czechs.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

green screen the ice cream video onto her shirt

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

also looks like WWIII is back on the menu boys!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bored As gently caress posted:

Russia sent assasins to thr Czech Republic, and is mounting a massive intelligence operation and diplomatic pressure on both Poland and the Czechs.

Czech that out

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
does anyone honestly think McConnell is going to let another bill through with individual payments now that business has gotten their fill

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is there sourcing on that besides that guy (who is some sort of security think tank dude)? I believe it but if true there's got to be reporters on it. Tho I def don't read Czech

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Forbes seems to pop up frequently in my google news app. I don't seek it out, but they also have random video game articles lately. The gently caress is going on at Forbes.

They've had video game articles since at least the Mass Effect 2 ending controversy. They use a contributor model for publishing so there's a pretty big range of topics.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 27, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Internet Wizard posted:

Has Nancy stopped doing her home-made MTV Cribs livestreams and gotten back to the Capitol yet?

The House is currently in session, they had to call everyone back last week for the emergency vote, as Rep. Massie is forcing full votes on everything in the House because he's a rampaging penis. The Senate comes back in session on May 4th, as Darth McConnell deems it.

All of Congress still doesn't quite know how to actually run hearings and the like right now. Every room, office, and hearing room in the Capitol is built on tight quarters, as is all of the glad-handing and cajoling that representatives/senators do themselves with each other on an hourly basis (insert jerk-off motions). There still isn't an established remote voting platform, the buddy-voting idea died, and the Capitol remains a petri dish with a bunch of old fucks running around, still without masks. The cleaning crews are putting in serious work, but there's only so much you can do with congresscritters breathing and coughing on everything and everyone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

does anyone honestly think McConnell is going to let another bill through with individual payments now that business has gotten their fill

Not me

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Eason the Fifth posted:

They've had video game articles since at least the Mass Effect 2 ending controversy. They use a contributor model for publishing so there's a pretty big range of topics.

AHEM that'd be the mass effect 3 ending controversy.

Mass Effect 2 had an excellent ending and was pretty much just excellent all-around.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Talk but no action. I keep seeing Forbes articles about stimulus proposals though.

Forbes is a blogging platform with a slight bar to get over.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MA-Horus posted:

AHEM that'd be the mass effect 3 ending controversy.

Mass Effect 2 had an excellent ending and was pretty much just excellent all-around.

Right, sorry. Fat-thumb phone postin'

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/rorynotrory/status/1254514924803457025

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Czech that out

This is a time for jokes, you fancy? Bear with me if I seem a little BISed, but the outcome could be rather GRUsome.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Is that one dude holding "COVID 19 is a lie" while decked out in full PPE?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TCD posted:

Is that one dude holding "COVID 19 is a lie" while decked out in full PPE?

Yep, saw his picture earlier and there was also a Karen with a WE ARE Q sign from one of the warmer states.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bored As gently caress posted:

Without knowing anything about the politics at play, would it be practical for the more western slavs to form a mutual defense pact or are the russians just too damned strong for that to be practical

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I really want that Q bullshit to just die

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Without knowing anything about the politics at play, would it be practical for the more western slavs to form a mutual defense pact or are the russians just too damned strong for that to be practical

Neo-Warsaw Pact just without the Russians?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Poland and the Czech Republic are already in NATO.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I really want that Q bullshit to just die

Well sounds like you're in the "open the country back up" camp then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean so is Norway but they're also in the Nordic Defence Cooperation

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ardlen posted:

Poland and the Czech Republic are already in NATO.

But does that really matter any more? I have a hard time seeing our Dear Leader risking poo poo to help them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Nephzinho posted:

Well sounds like you're in the "open the country back up" camp then.

loving what?

Edit: nm I get it

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 27, 2020