Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Phrasing is a little weird, but it's also not crazy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nth Doctor posted:

The issue is that it creates more infections, which means more critical workers are infected, which means that even people who stay at home are more likely to be infected when food/etc. arrives, or when heading to the grocery store when picking up supplies. For a global pandemic where minimizing the spread of the disease is paramount for everyone, that attitude is incredibly dangerous.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four", does not mean that the people saying it know how to add or are free to make incorrect or dangerous claims about reality. It's very telling how many self-proclaimed experts of pandemics now exist... who can't even derive a logistic growth model, can't describe conditional probability, nor would be able to validate the relevance of a claimed virology model.

I suppose they'll trust their bosses then? Their employer doubtless has everyone's best interests in mind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

yes it is!

some people are essential workers and can't stay home

most everyone else needs to go out sometimes for something and more community spread makes them more likely to get infected when they do

some people are going to have medical emergencies and get crippled/die if they can't get an ICU bed because all the hospitals are full of Covid cases spread by morons

the idea that we're isolated individuals floating in a void at infinite distance from each other, so that my bad decisions can't hurt other people is a totally crazy idea

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's also the fact that a lot of people are only getting unemployment right now because they're being forced to stay home. Once it becomes a choice to stay home that won't happen.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It also slows the obvious and daunting realization that we don't have to go back to normal and that every bullshit story about how economics, labor, and capitalism has to be were nothing more than the axiomatic beliefs of a failed religion.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China's propaganda strategy, and defenses against propaganda: CHINA'S PROPAGANDA MACHINE IS GALACTICALLY STRONGER BEAST COMPARED TO THE DDS PROPAGANDA; CHINA CAN ACTUALLY FULFILL A DECEPTIVE PROMISE, HAS THE CAPACITY TO PRETEND AS A STRONG ALLY, AND CAN INTIMIDATE, TRACK, AND AFFECT ONLINE INFO.

quote:

The Duterte propaganda machine attacks through provoking a defensive emotional response, freezing the mind towards self-analysis, or provoking an exhausting word war thereby preventing the target from thinking critically. The intended end result of this propaganda is to freeze critics towards silence, provoke critics towards lesser thinking, and saturate people's minds with the Duterte narrative.

The Duterte propaganda machine attacks primarily by vilifying the critic in their own eyes thereby creating a crippling sense of insecurity. That's the attack of the administration. As I have written before, this attack is powerful -- REALLY POWERFUL -- against targets that have little self-awareness or self-consciousness. However, against individuals who have strong self-awareness and are conscious about themselves and their role and contribution to society, this attack is simply a wet noodle slapping against a rock. It doesn't work.

The CCP propaganda machine on the other hand -- with what they currently are doing and have done -- is capable of more grand tactics.

Before the tactics of the CCP propaganda machine can be understood in our context, a little history is necessary; China has a strong habit of offering peace while make aggressive actions. China also has a habit of denying fault, dismissing accountability, and rejecting responsibility.

It is this China that mixes so well with the CCP propaganda, and how it happens is a stroke of wicked genius.

CCP propaganda attempts to weaken the target by causing confusion, doubt in capacity of judgement, and blurring the sense and perception of friend and foe. In other words, its more of a mental attack than an emotional one. DDS attack is provocative while CCP is confusing. I'm not saying that CCP psy-ops attack has no emotional element; the emotional element is ever present however the mental attack is far stronger compared to DDS attack.

The CCP propaganda attack is so effective for two reasons:

China naturally denies faults, dismisses accountability, and rejects accountability all for saving face.
The CCP propaganda machine has the power to initiate actions that, supported with Chinese government actions, appear so real, heroic, and genuine.

This is textbook "bad-boy" tactic -- being painful yet being sweet and delicious at the same time. This kind of approach makes it difficult to assess whether China is hero or villain especially when it starts giving investments and playing humanitarian efforts. The difficulty in assessment comes from the contradicting inputs that the mind and the emotions. Mentally and logically, China does bad things such as stealing WPS territory. But on the emotional spectrum, China also does good things such as infrastructure investments. By doing both, China avoids being seen in the image of an actual villain as opposed to being a "grey" player.

With this kind of attack, what is important is to acknowledge that the CCP propaganda aims to disable the judgement and perception of people IN ORDER -- this is important -- IN ORDER for their target to become mentally weak from trying to make sense of China's actions. Once mentally weak, the CCP can then slowly creep their narrative in by appearing like a heroic, misunderstood messiah.

When there is mental weakness, there is emotional vulnerability and receptiveness to CCP narratives. CCP propaganda attempts to twist perceptions towards favorable ideas for China. In that sense it is an attack on the mind, the heart, and the spirit. They will fill your mind with what they want you to think about, affect your heart with feelings they want you to feel, and break your spirit towards subservience to them; they accomplish these through push-and-pull tactics, aggressive violations coupled with benevolent actions, creating propaganda materials like Iisang Dagat, and performing such actions with rapid frequency.

It's powerful because propaganda can be backed with actions. Unlike DDS which all talk, the CCP propaganda machine can make stuff and events happen. They have the power, the money, and the organization to accomplish such grand displays of benevolence.

But the tactics of the CCP propaganda machine do not end with such mentally and spiritually breaking maneuvers coupled with emotional tampering. The CCP propaganda machine also plays blame game which is a form of misdirection, deconstruction of criticism and ideas to weaken resistance against CCP narratives, character assassination through ridicule, using turncoats in the native population to create a feeling of familiarity and connection to China through the use of the turncoats, censorship, and obviously, planting agents of influence or converting officials towards a pro-CCP policy.

All of these has one clear goal however -- the dominance of China on the target nation. Yet, their approaches are vast, encompassing and powerful: they affect the mind, the heart, the spirit, the soul and the behavior all at the same time. With blame games they make present themselves innocent of the accusations; with deconstruction they weaken the soul, mind, and heart of their target populations by weakening worldviews incompatible with the CCP narrative; with character assassinations they weaken the soul, spirit, and heart of target populations by destroying the image and credibility of the population's leaders, heroes, and symbols; through turncoats they create personalities that can seduce target populations into siding with China thereby targeting emotional connections, as well as identifying resistant individuals and groups in the population for possible forced disappearances; through censorship they kill any budding point of view that threatens the narrative, thereby affecting the mind and the soul of the target population; by agents of influence they can affect or control governments thereby control the behavior of the target populations; their propaganda machine is holistic in approach, and it deserves respect, whether enemy or ally.

They also have a powerful network to track online activity, which helps them determine which individuals and groups are threats to the CCP.

Now we get to the most important part; the defense against CCP propaganda.

How to defend against the CCP propaganda is quite an extensive topic, and therefore it will be in another post.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

T-man posted:

It also slows the obvious and daunting realization that we don't have to go back to normal and that every bullshit story about how economics, labor, and capitalism has to be were nothing more than the axiomatic beliefs of a failed religion.

This will be casually refuted with "We've only seen what happens short term."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
We don't, though, and neither does she for that matter. She's not much more than a figurehead, saying "Hey, poo poo's hosed and you legislators need to fix it".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Her main message is literally "please start listening to the experts".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember the 'fad' the right wing had in the early 2010s where they would bring on a tweenager in a suit to show how even the young loved the right.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

happyhippy posted:

Remember the 'fad' the right wing had in the early 2010s where they would bring on a tweenager in a suit to show how even the young loved the right.

It was always the president and only member of a particularly pushy Young Republicans club. The next time they make the news is for holding a slave auction in the cafeteria.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Grimdude posted:

This will be casually refuted with "We've only seen what happens short term."
Response, "Well we've seen the short and long term failures of the last approach, so at least we'll get the short term gains! Let's keep it going and we can be agile about scheduling in-office events while we measure remaining long term concerns".

happyhippy posted:

Didn't this start with Reagan?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

The next time they make the news is for holding a slave auction in the cafeteria.
Or when they come out as gay and not-conservative.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Response, "Well we've seen the short and long term failures of the last approach, so at least we'll get the short term gains! Let's keep it going and we can be agile about scheduling in-office events while we measure remaining long term concerns".

Didn't this start with Reagan?

In Reagan's day there were genuinely massive numbers of young conservatives so you didn't have to conspicuously parade them around.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

yes it is!

some people are essential workers and can't stay home

most everyone else needs to go out sometimes for something and more community spread makes them more likely to get infected when they do

some people are going to have medical emergencies and get crippled/die if they can't get an ICU bed because all the hospitals are full of Covid cases spread by morons

the idea that we're isolated individuals floating in a void at infinite distance from each other, so that my bad decisions can't hurt other people is a totally crazy idea

Um you have the ~freedom~ to just be homeless, libturd.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Killer robot posted:

In Reagan's day there were genuinely massive numbers of young conservatives so you didn't have to conspicuously parade them around.

They're why we have so many Paul Ryans and Rand Pauls and other bad white people named Paul etc

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I knew a kid in high school that was desperately trying to be a Republican Wunderkind. He'd make smug jokes about liberals all the time. The day he called in to Rush Limbaugh and actually made it on air was the happiest day of his life.

Everyone else in the school loving loathed him, even the confederate flag-waving rednecks. I wonder what he's up to now.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I wonder what he's up to now.

https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

File this under "unintentionally good". Posted by an old Army buddy who post a lot of pro-Trump thin blue line poo poo so I'm guessing it's some residual redneck hatred for cops, he's in his 60s, or some Deep State whatever nonsense.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

File this under "unintentionally good". Posted by an old Army buddy who post a lot of pro-Trump thin blue line poo poo so I'm guessing it's some residual redneck hatred for cops, he's in his 60s, or some Deep State whatever nonsense.

this sort of post exists in a state of quantum hypocrisy where cops are unlimited tyranny if they make you file a form to get a gun but RARA COPS FOREVER for shooting black people

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

this sort of post exists in a state of quantum hypocrisy where cops are unlimited tyranny if they make you file a form to get a gun but RARA COPS FOREVER for shooting black people

He is from Michigan and he's SUPER MAD about the Governor and the lockdown so he's just probably super into that first mindset at the moment.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The whole "stockpile guns to fight the government" but also "blue lives/support are troops" has always been insane.

You ask them who they think will be coming for the guns and they insist that the cops and troops will side with them. You know like what happened at Waco.

Then when they kill their first cop the national guard will carpet bomb their compound to applause from their fellow rednecks.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
There's a few hidden gems in this one.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Katt posted:

The whole "stockpile guns to fight the government" but also "blue lives/support are troops" has always been insane.

You ask them who they think will be coming for the guns and they insist that the cops and troops will side with them. You know like what happened at Waco.

Then when they kill their first cop the national guard will carpet bomb their compound to applause from their fellow rednecks.

It's like that Onion article from ages ago. It went something like, "We must support the troops in order to kill them later" or something like that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Forceholy posted:

It's like that Onion article from ages ago. It went something like, "We must support the troops in order to kill them later" or something like that.

It’s Our Duty To Support The Troops And The Second Amendment In Case We Ever Need To Kill Them All

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Soviet Commubot posted:

He is from Michigan and he's SUPER MAD about the Governor and the lockdown so he's just probably super into that first mindset at the moment.

People here in Michigan have this big image of Whitmer personally showing up to their local Krogers and beat up patriots for not wearing a mask, and I kind of wish she would make it really mandatory so they would have to face the fact that it's cops that would be the enforcers.

But then of course it would be "they're just following the law, even if it is tyrannnyyy"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

The Onion posted:

There’s an old saying that the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Our nation’s men and women in the armed forces are the patriots. But, I guess, it’s also possible they could one day be the tyrants.

That's pretty good

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I thought it had a catchier name, but it's boringly called "reverse causation". Are police need more gear to stay safe because the people from the lower righthand corner are 'survivalists' who still drive into town and cities for their pork rinds, and end up causing trouble at the bar.

I kinda hate to say it, but it's not just the fault of "gang violence". When veterans return with PTSD and no health care and go all Rambo, the cops realize they need to be better equipped.

So the ultimate cause is... are troops. :laugh:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I thought it had a catchier name, but it's boringly called "reverse causation". Are police need more gear to stay safe because the people from the lower righthand corner are 'survivalists' who still drive into town and cities for their pork rinds, and end up causing trouble at the bar.

I kinda hate to say it, but it's not just the fault of "gang violence". When veterans return with PTSD and no health care and go all Rambo, the cops realize they need to be better equipped.

So the ultimate cause is... are troops. :laugh:

The answer isn't really any of that the 1990 NDAA provided a program where police departments could apply to purchase surplus military gear for the express purpose of fighting the drug war. In '97 that program was expanded to allow the military to just give the surplus gear away for free, which went into overdrive after 9/11. Something like $5b worth of equipment was handed out over the next decade and I'm sure you've seen plenty of pictures of nowheresville poo poo town pd driving around in an apc because are homeland. See also: the pentagon nearly every year asking to please stop be flooded with new military vehicles they don't want or need. Of course they're gonna go somewhere!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Tag yourselves, I'm the thirst for the deaths of others.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

quote:

Anyone else find it weird that #BillGates - an unelected official, a computer guy with no medical degree, seems to be the world’s leading health expert on the coronavirus, telling everyone what we need to do & when its safe to go back to normal?

Its a little odd, that the same guy who led Event 201 just a few weeks before the first outbreak in China, where they had an exercise preparing & planning for a pandemic outbreak & can you guess what virus they chose for this "hypothetical" exercise? If you guessed the Coronavirus you must be a psychic!

This is the same guy that's going to profit the most from this virus with his vaccines he's pushing on everyone. I can guarantee you right now they will make this a seasonal virus just like the flu, so they can profit off the vaccines every year.

In the past week, he's been making the media rounds on CNN & other shows saying we can all gather again once we've all been vaccinated! In another interview, he said that you will need to provide a vaccination certificate to work & travel.

He also has a company called ID 2020 which will track everyone through microchips the size of a grain of rice that they inject into you with a needle. It will track everywhere you go & everything you do, but please don't take my word for it, google ID 2020. This is not the future, they have already done it in some countries & even some workplaces.

No conflict of interest here, lol If people can't see through the obvious bullshit then we're all screwed!

Might I also add that this diabolical man is also THE largest donor of the World Health Organization? Think about that folks. THERE. IS. AN. AGENDA!! SHARE THIS!!!]

quote:

There are those wanting to reopen CA and yet they’re being classified as selfish. There are those that rely on all kinds of people to supply them while they cower in fear at home. Isn’t that being selfish too?

You expect your garbage to be picked up, you expect the grocery store to be open so you can get milk, you expect truck drivers to supply the stores, you expect farmers, meat packers, fruit and vegetable pickers all to keep food in that grocery store.

You expect Amazon to still ship all the things you’re ordering while you sit at home shopping. You expect the delivery driver to leave it on your doorstep. You expect your phone to work, your power to stay on, and your mail to show up rain, sleet, or shine.

And most important, you expect the doctors and nurses to be there if you need them.

The whole premise of shelter in place is based on the arrogant idea that others must risk their health so you can protect yours. There is nothing virtuous about ignoring the largely invisible army required to allow people to shelter in place.

I know there are some of you that are screaming mad about what I just said but stop and really think about what is allowing you to stay safe in your home.

I truly believe that with some common sense on my part, I could easily go back to life as it was. I want to go to restaurants, I want to shop at the little store just up the road.

And yes, I could catch COVID-19. I could also catch the flu or a cold, I could get run over by a bus, I could get struck by lightning. We take risks everyday. If you choose to stay home, that is absolutely your choice. And please don’t start screaming at me about how I’ll just spread it. Why are you worried? You won’t get it because you’re staying in your home. Are you going to shelter in place every time a new strand of the flu happens?

Our economy can’t withstand much more of this. If our economy collapses, so will the rest of the world’s. If that happens, you will see the rise of tyrants

I absolutely don’t want people to die...from COVID or anything else. I want people to live.

Let’s be smart and use common sense.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Golbez posted:

There's a few hidden gems in this one.

Major Dick Bong

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Thirst for mass death aside, show this person the data demonstrating that folks who survive covid can be re-infected.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You're the selfish one for taking precautions against spreading a dangerous pandemic.

I want to eat at olive garden and get my hair done NOW NOW NOW!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That meme is used for intentionally absurd logic so it may not be serious.

Of course its also basically what Britain's initial "herd immunity" strategy was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bill Gates actually is a diabolical maniac who wants to fix social problems by nerve-stapling everyone, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Continuity RCP posted:

Major Dick Bong

Please understand that is a real headline and person, and one of the few likely unedited bits of the page. Dude was an insane fighter pilot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bong