Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It is, yeah. Sorry. The roster kinda is what it is at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I have never seen the Assassin do that before. How random! To be fair, I've never seen the other Chosen actually fire their weapons either. We are all fortunate to see it! Plus it seems like you are getting on top of the early game bullshit now, so good work, keep it up.

Then the game decided to kick you in the balls with that lovely Sitrep. I hate that one. Everything else is no big deal, except that one.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
That wall shown in the propaganda poster will surely strike terror in the hearts of the alien force.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I don't know if my character points were too strict, so I'll just be anything male please.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Munin posted:

Grenades trigger holo targeting? Bloody hell, how did I not know that before. That's potentially a lot of +15 aim to spread around.
They don't. I was trying to say that I treat Grenadiers as my leadoff hitters: they almost always act first, and either launch explosives to delete cover and shred armor, or shoot a priority target to shred armor and proc holo-targeting.

While debuffs can be good, they're almost all situational and dependent on enemy type (especially since burning is no longer indisputably the best by turning off melee.) I'd rather have a Muton out of cover and open to a flank shot than in cover and poisoned, because a poisoned Muton can still grenade.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 27, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was a weird turn for the Assassin. You never really see her using Arashi. TBH I was kind of surprised you didn't eat a Harbor Wave.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A good mission. My only advice would be that Specters ain't no thing if you just prioritize revival protocol over hacking mecs. Your unconscious soldier pops right up eager to shoot that dumb nanobot conglomerate in its dumb alien face and the only time you might find this trick doesn't work is when weird vertical parts of the map mean the specter is only a few tiles away but several floors above you.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
The fact you only have 1 pip left for ADVENT to 'almost' complete the project irks me. That prefix in the upload number becomes relevant again.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, I hope you are feeling better FairGame.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's really not that big of a deal, you have a lot of opportunities to reduce the timer. I'm kind of surprised he didn't go for the blacksite mission but doing it with only 5 people is... not great lol, especially with a ruler hanging out there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Man, that's quite the turnaround from previous encounters with the Assassin. Guess the third time really is the charm.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

W.T. Fits posted:

Man, that's quite the turnaround from previous encounters with the Assassin. Guess the third time really is the charm.

In my experience with the chosen, they are absolute nightmares unless you totally clown them before they get a chance to move. To be honest, I think the realization that the alpha strike nature of alternating sides' turns requires one of those two is why we got the alien rulers' interrupt moves, so that they will definitely do something before you wipe them. But the Chosen have turns like everyone else, so yeah, if you get the drop on them they'll go down without doing much of anything like all the other non-rulers.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

FairGame posted:

It is, yeah. Sorry. The roster kinda is what it is at this point.

Oh well! Was hoping to be a psi soldier and make the late game stupid.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Woof. leaving it down to the wire for our entertainment. That's the confident FairGame we know.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nicely done btw. The 'upside' to a Surgical SitRep is supposed to be that pods are smaller and there are less enemies, but this isn't actually the case in the game if I remember correctly. There are mods on PC to fix this, but hopefully you have a mission with Resistance fighters to make this possible.
Good luck.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

If it's a boxes mission, you can pretty much just grab one box and bail to count it as a win. If it's not, then there's no time pressure and at least you can wander around with a reaper, Remote Starting and sniper-spotting at your leisure.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akratic Method posted:

If it's a boxes mission, you can pretty much just grab one box and bail to count it as a win. If it's not, then there's no time pressure and at least you can wander around with a reaper, Remote Starting and sniper-spotting at your leisure.

My reaper is in the hospital forever, remember?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wasn't expecting XCOM to take inspiration from David Cage.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

Can you only get two of the factions you don't start with? What about if both Megane and Dancer died, would you get another Templar or two, do the Templars always love you?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FairGame posted:

lol, oh yeah. I forgot that you have some kind of Reaper curse going this campaign. I suppose a Phantom ranger is second best, but I forget whether anyone with that is un-wounded and home.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I love how we go from "fine" to "risking it all" within thirty minutes. God bless :xcom:

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

reignofevil posted:

A good mission. My only advice would be that Specters ain't no thing if you just prioritize revival protocol over hacking mecs. Your unconscious soldier pops right up eager to shoot that dumb nanobot conglomerate in its dumb alien face and the only time you might find this trick doesn't work is when weird vertical parts of the map mean the specter is only a few tiles away but several floors above you.

If you do that, make sure to move the soldier after reviving them. I've had it happen where when I killed the specter the animation that normally frees the trooper ended up hurting them.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, specters are some hot bullshit.

This also shows off why I think Reapers are the most effective faction soldiers against the assassin: they let you get super aggressive with ferreting out her hiding spots, and if you can find her with the Reaper, the rest of the team can gun her down.

E: also, :lol: at some of those automatic photos the game takes. "Everyone crowd behind this jersey barrier!"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 28, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Spectres are fairly easy, in the same way the Sectoids are easy: They always do the same thing, and it doesn't involve shooting someone. Also, Bluescreen rounds melt them in seconds.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, there's only one Sitrep I hate as much as Surgical, and that's, I think Low Profile? The one that doesn't like you come in with any units higher than Sgt. rank. And that one is only really bad if you get it late game.

There ARE good Sitreps. Some of them can give really great bonuses, too. Is it just a Legendary difficulty thing that you're far more likely to get the negative ones?

EDIT: By the way, I hope you don't leave the alien rulers on the sidelines. They can be annoying, but they can be managed, and the rewards you get for them can be amazing. Or at least really funny.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 28, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can't help but feel like the decision to delay encountering the rulers for as long as possible and the decision not to get the bolt caster are going hand in hand here.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ohhh, gently caress this sitrep. I really don't know how you are supposed to deal enough DPS or otherwise distract enough enemy fire to ever complete a surgical mission.
On the other hand, sniper rifle upgrade! Awesome!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
That was some mission there: "here is your new reaper: Sugaraddict! I hope we don't get him killed" later in the mission: *gets point-blank shot by another naruto-shadow the hedgehog ripoff after wandering into me*. What the hell is with this game?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

100% the correct decision

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

eating only apples posted:

Can you only get two of the factions you don't start with? What about if both Megane and Dancer died, would you get another Templar or two, do the Templars always love you?

you can have

2 of the faction you start with
1 of the faction you contact later

if 1 (or 2) of them die and you have none (or 1 of your starting) of a faction in your roster there will be (hopefully) a covert op to recruit a new one of that faction.

so for the LP (so far) this means

2 Templars
1 Reaper
1 Skirmisher

if the Reaper or Skirmisher dies Fairgame gets (hopefully) a covert op to get a new one. but only max 1.
if a Templar dies Fairgame gets (hopefully) a covert op to get a second one. but only max 2.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That turret shot was pretty bullshit...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Munin posted:

That turret shot was pretty bullshit...

that happens, turrets can get an extra square or two of vision because of their height advantage

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Something I never thought about before - does taking a chosen down give you a period of time where they are guaranteed not to appear? Besides special missions like the blacksite etc.

Sheesh, now were out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 29, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Something I never thought about before - does taking a chosen down give you a period of time where they are guaranteed not to appear? Besides special missions like the blacksite etc.

I think they won't in the next one after you kill them, but I've never like written it down and verified, that's a vague seems like over the course of my campaigns.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah I'm pretty sure they can't appear back-to-back unless scripted. Beyond that...I have no idea. As you have probably gathered by my scattershot strategic game this campaign, I don't have the inner workings of XCOM2 memorized like I do XCOM Long War

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Awww man. See ya, Bonnie.

She set the death flags ages ago so we should've really seen it coming.

This mission made me incredibly anxious. Held your nerve way better than I would've

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I assume you're waiting for someone to get out of medbay so they can immediately get into therapy?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FairGame posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they can't appear back-to-back unless scripted. Beyond that...I have no idea. As you have probably gathered by my scattershot strategic game this campaign, I don't have the inner workings of XCOM2 memorized like I do XCOM Long War

I catch up with the LP just in time to see scary banner I hope Quinn's okay :ohdear: .

e: holy poo poo

Dancer fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dancer posted:

e: holy poo poo