Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey I have no idea where else to post this since I can't seem to find an appropriate thread on the games forums, but because I can't play tabletop wargames during this quarantine, my broken brain has been craving a "realistic" military shooter to fill the gap (instead of a turn-based strategy game which seems like it'd make more sense) I picked up Tannenberg because: It's currently cheaper than pretty much any other similar kind of war-sim-shooter-game ($9 right now) and it has Russians. Anyone else play it or have opinions on it? I played a couple of matches and it was pretty fun I suppose.

If there's a thread dedicated to it or the genre, feel free to point me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Codeacious posted:

I finished up the campaign Tales of Maj'eyal and I think I won't make another character. That game kinda straddles the limits of the traditional roguelike in terms of campaign structure, and while I enjoyed it I kinda don't want to go through the same campaign again. It's not like Qud where the world outside of the quests is the main draw.
You may want to try Embers of Rage, it's a separate, much better paced campaign.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

FrostyPox posted:

Hey I have no idea where else to post this since I can't seem to find an appropriate thread on the games forums, but because I can't play tabletop wargames during this quarantine, my broken brain has been craving a "realistic" military shooter to fill the gap (instead of a turn-based strategy game which seems like it'd make more sense) I picked up Tannenberg because: It's currently cheaper than pretty much any other similar kind of war-sim-shooter-game ($9 right now) and it has Russians. Anyone else play it or have opinions on it? I played a couple of matches and it was pretty fun I suppose.

If there's a thread dedicated to it or the genre, feel free to point me to it.

Alright, for shooters, go for something like Arma, Squad, Post Scriptum, Hell Let Loose, in order of milsim complexity from most complex to least. Grog games thread if you want to try talking about some strategy games (I'd recommend the free module of Command Ops 2 at the moment by the way) and I don't think I recall seeing you in the Board Wargames thread.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a way to make my Switch Pro Controller work properly on Xbox game pass games? It doesn't recognize it properly and the game folder is locked down so I can't even use x360ce to fix it cause it can't touch the .exe.

The only way I've found around it is by using Steam to map my controller to my keyboard and mouse, so I can then bind the game's controls to those. It's a bit inconvenient since I'll have to rebind the controls for every single game, and I'll get M+KB button prompts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Have you enabled the support for it in Steam?
https://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/1648757912601251834
(you don't need the beta anymore)

Once that's done you should have access to some standard config that just maps to the xbox buttons, and you'll be able to get at any community configs too. I'm assuming the basic config will just work out of the box for any game you start, but you could create a template for a different layout (or tweak the default one) if you want

but nah you shouldn't have to do any binding to keyboard stuff

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alien Isolation is crazy cheap at the moment, like less than USD1 in my currency.

Total War: Shogun 2 should be free, but they haven't activated it yet, even though it says Free in the search bar. Probably in the midst of updating, check back in an hour.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Have you enabled the support for it in Steam?
https://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/1648757912601251834
(you don't need the beta anymore)

Once that's done you should have access to some standard config that just maps to the xbox buttons, and you'll be able to get at any community configs too. I'm assuming the basic config will just work out of the box for any game you start, but you could create a template for a different layout (or tweak the default one) if you want

but nah you shouldn't have to do any binding to keyboard stuff

Do I need to launch the game from steam? I can't do that because of the DRM. Without doing that it just defaults to my Steam desktop settings, I'm not sure how to set it to use regular Xbox controls.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The combat in Bioshock 2 is a lot better and more responsive than the original, to the point that you could only have a weapon or plasmid out at the same time, not both. So if you found it clunky in Bioshock 2 then a replay of the original would be insufferable for you.

That's right, I think I remember that. Again, I think maybe the issue was just that I played Bioshock 1 on Easy, and I played Bioshock 2 on Medium. I remember going through BS1 without dying (or at least not dying very often), so maybe I was just caught off guard by the difficulty. In marathoning through it, I also may have rushed a bit, so that might have been an issue too.

Still, I think the guns felt weak, and the new larger enemies were a bit more difficult to deal with. There was a loading screen tip that mentioned you could interrupt the larger enemies charge attack with melee, but I don't think I ever got the timing right.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Elman posted:

Do I need to launch the game from steam? I can't do that because of the DRM. Without doing that it just defaults to my Steam desktop settings, I'm not sure how to set it to use regular Xbox controls.

ohhh I thought that's what you were doing, you mean you're using the controller in "desktop mode" or whatever where it actually does act like a keyboard and mouse? yeah sorry, I don't think it's possible to emulate an xinput controller or whatever doing that. Looks like Microsoft wants you buying an xbox controller huh :homebrew:

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Elman posted:

I don't have any Microsoft store games to test with but I did something similar for playing Gog/uplay/origin games so see if this helps?

Steam->Settings->Controller->General Controller Settings->Enable Switch Pro Configuration support
Steam->Settings->Controller->Desktop Configuration->Browse Configuration->Templates->Gamepad->Save

That should set it to use the pro controller as a controller instead of a m+kb setup. I did have to turn off any other x360 mappers like CE or ds4windows though or I would get weird hosed up conflicts with the steam drivers where buttons would double register or controllers would disappear from games.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

oh that'd be cool if it works - I just went into the desktop config, but the button mapping layout didn't have an xbox controller in it so I assumed it wasn't supported in that situation

why are controllers so complicated man

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

If I'm in the mood for a turn-based game should I go with Battle Brothers or XCOM2? Alternatively I could try Enemy Within again, since the new enemies handed me my rear end and I quit playing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

rain dogs posted:

If I'm in the mood for a turn-based game should I go with Battle Brothers or XCOM2? Alternatively I could try Enemy Within again, since the new enemies handed me my rear end and I quit playing.

Steamworld Heist

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

rain dogs posted:

Enemy Within remains one of my favorite XCOMs, even above XCOM 2. So either that or Battle Brothers!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

rain dogs posted:

I think XCOM 2 has better tactical combat, but I like the strategy layer better in Battle Bros. So I guess I’d recommend either based on which you wan to emphasize.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

rain dogs posted:

Xcom2 is free to play for the next 2 days so you could try it out. The complete version is also on sale for another week i think so if you like it you can buy it cheap.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Objective Action posted:

I don't have any Microsoft store games to test with but I did something similar for playing Gog/uplay/origin games so see if this helps?

Steam->Settings->Controller->General Controller Settings->Enable Switch Pro Configuration support
Steam->Settings->Controller->Desktop Configuration->Browse Configuration->Templates->Gamepad->Save

That should set it to use the pro controller as a controller instead of a m+kb setup. I did have to turn off any other x360 mappers like CE or ds4windows though or I would get weird hosed up conflicts with the steam drivers where buttons would double register or controllers would disappear from games.

I tried this but it's still not detecting my controller at all. Then again I don't think anything is detecting the controller when I do this, that configuration only seems to work on games I launch through Steam.

That same configuration works flawlessly on Steam games or non Steam games launched through Steam, but Microsoft's DRM doesn't let you do that.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

rain dogs posted:

Gears Tactics is out tomorrow if you have Gamepass.

Getting good reviews.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Kly posted:

Xcom2 is free to play for the next 2 days so you could try it out. The complete version is also on sale for another week i think so if you like it you can buy it cheap.

Oh didnt even see that. Gonna check it out.

Thanks all

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Objective Action posted:

Microsoft Store doesn't work like that. The games there get locked into a folder that you're not allowed to access at all (even as an admin, you don't have privileges to do so), and the games get launched through some kind of privilege escalation magic that only Microsoft understands. That makes the games invisible to Steam. It's not your typical "launch game through launcher" DRM.

MS Store (Game Pass) is extremely restrictive to the point where it's not very different from playing on a console.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 27, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/201270/Total_War_SHOGUN_2/

game free

get free game

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, after all my hemming and hawing I decided I really like XCOM and thought I should go through 1 before 2, so now I am a proud owner of the Enemy Within Complete Pack. Do I need to do anything special to active all the DLC stuff? Or does it all just roll together?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

OzFactor posted:

All right, after all my hemming and hawing I decided I really like XCOM and thought I should go through 1 before 2, so now I am a proud owner of the Enemy Within Complete Pack. Do I need to do anything special to active all the DLC stuff? Or does it all just roll together?

The Rebel or whatever its called cosmetic pack might be the least "rolled togethered" dlc I have ever seen. Its ugly in its own right

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Superanos posted:

Microsoft Store doesn't work like that. The games there get locked into a folder that you're not allowed to access at all (even as an admin, you don't have privileges to do so), and the games get launched through some kind of privilege escalation magic that only Microsoft understands. That makes the games invisible to Steam. It's not your typical "launch game through launcher" DRM.

MS Store (Game Pass) is extremely restrictive to the point where it's not very different from playing on a console.

It's astounding that they think dropping their prices and giving away free access is going to help them compete with Steam even though they can't get basic features right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I really should give that another shot now that I have an SSD, when it came out the load times killed my attempts to get into it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Elman posted:

It's astounding that they think dropping their prices and giving away free access is going to help them compete with Steam even though they can't get basic features right.

Gamepass isn't competing with Steam, it's competing with like Uplay+ and EA Access and they are absolutely crushing that right now. Games as a Service is the ultimate endgame for MS on this one, Valve isn't even on the map.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

Okay, well, literally on boot the game is asking if I want to play EU or EW. I want to just play EW, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Okay, well, literally on boot the game is asking if I want to play EU or EW. I want to just play EW, right?

Yes. EW does not make drastic structural changes like WotC does, it's just more mid-game content.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orv posted:

Yes. EW does not make drastic structural changes like WotC does, it's just more mid-game content.

Eh, I'd actually suggest playing EU first. EW adds complexity to the strategic game that might be overwhelming first time around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Eh, I'd actually suggest playing EU first. EW adds complexity to the strategic game that might be overwhelming first time around.

Given that there is no complexity to the strategic game in EU :shrug:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

EW is a vastly better experience, if you have the option 100% go with it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Elman posted:

They're a subscription service, that is how its basic features work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have Gamepass and when I want to play a game on it I click the icon and it starts.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'll jump on the EU first train, but I'll admit it's largely based on what I personally like.

EU lets you see all it's cards quickly, and then builds a touch and go campaign where you are always in control. It's very chesslike, where you can see every mistake and how it played it/learn from it.

EW is very much so an inbetween EU and 2. You have to play faster, you have to build more, you have to research these new things. There are new threats on the world map. All this stuff helps flesh out the mid game more, but frankly it also dramatically changes the way the game plays.

Hell, I'll actually admit I'm in the opposite camp as Orv. War of the Chosen feels like the way XCOM 2 was supposed to be at launch, and not playing the combined campaign feels weird because it just adds more to what was there. EW so dramatically changes the game it feels like a whole new game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Got an ultra-specific problem here. I'm unable to add Shogun 2 to my library because I already have the standalone FOTS expansion pack and both the base game and its DLC count as a single product on Steam. Is there a workaround?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tempting but I don't know if I can play another Total War game that doesn't have WW1 mice and wizard generals.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mordja posted:

Got an ultra-specific problem here. I'm unable to add Shogun 2 to my library because I already have the standalone FOTS expansion pack and both the base game and its DLC count as a single product on Steam. Is there a workaround?

Is FotS included with the base game? You could remove the offending title from your library.
Edit: There is a Steam forum topic saying

steam forums posted:

HOW TO GET SHOGUN 2 ORIGINAL GAME, IF YOU HAVE FALL OF THE SAMURAI
I know about this problem. Himself had to face it. If you wanna to get the game you need open Steam in browser. Open two steam-page. BUT DO NOT LOG IN. If you log in, just log out. And we open two page. With the game Shogun 2 and Steam store page. In Steam store page you log in you account. In first page you click add game to you accout. And that’s all. Sorry for mistakes.

and also

You can also simply open Big Picture mode of Steam, then it works too :D
I already own Shogun 2 so I can't try it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 27, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I played XCOM1 before. I heard about the Long War mod and thought it sounded super fun. The tutorial mission was fine, but the first real mission I just couldn't beat it no matter what I did. Kinda took the wind out of my sails on XCOM.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I'll jump on the EU first train, but I'll admit it's largely based on what I personally like.

EU lets you see all it's cards quickly, and then builds a touch and go campaign where you are always in control. It's very chesslike, where you can see every mistake and how it played it/learn from it.

EW is very much so an inbetween EU and 2. You have to play faster, you have to build more, you have to research these new things. There are new threats on the world map. All this stuff helps flesh out the mid game more, but frankly it also dramatically changes the way the game plays.

Hell, I'll actually admit I'm in the opposite camp as Orv. War of the Chosen feels like the way XCOM 2 was supposed to be at launch, and not playing the combined campaign feels weird because it just adds more to what was there. EW so dramatically changes the game it feels like a whole new game.

This. Perhaps I was wrong to write the EW adds 'strategic depth' to the game. XCOM's strategic game is a matter of juggling various balls. EW adds a few more balls to the mix. It was fresh and interesting having played EU to death because you had to re-calibrate what was by that point a very well understood opening game. I suspect that coming in fresh it probably feels different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Mordja posted:

Apparently the store in Big Picture Mode works.

Alternatively, you can try the following:
- Log out of Steam
- Open the Shogun 2 store page while not logged in, you should get the "Add to account" button.
- Open another browser tab and log into Steam
- When logged in, go back to that tab and press "Add to account".