Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What makes GoldenEye so hard to emulate? It seems like its the most taxing game on the N64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

From personal experience, a lot of N64 games aren't worth setting into High Resolution mode if you're using a scaler+HDTV. On top of making the already low framerates plummet (Hybrid Heaven feels like it rarely breaks 10fps in high Rez) it can go into 480i at which point yay interlacing. Bob deinterlacing as done by the Retrotink/OSSC gets the job done, but it isn't very pretty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

What makes GoldenEye so hard to emulate? It seems like its the most taxing game on the N64.

Just in general the N64 is tough to emulate. We have better emulators of PS2/Dreamcast era consoles than we do N64

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just in general the N64 is tough to emulate. We have better emulators of PS2/Dreamcast era consoles than we do N64

is there a simple explanation why?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rinkles posted:

is there a simple explanation why?

MVG just released a video on the difficulties of coding for the N64 which is pretty convenient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRslfM-MOOw

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

N64 emulation arguably also got hamstrung by bad architectural decisions early on: I've never seen a plugin-based emulator that wasn't a pain, and the two main options, Project64 has had a history of bad decisionmaking in how it's bundled (and is Windows only) and Mupen64plus has no GUI built in.

Seriously, I got into retro consoles solely so I could use an actual N64 with decent quality over either of those.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i was always amazed that the psp can sorta not awfully emulate some n64 games

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm still really crossing my fingers that Nintendo releases an N64 Classic that we can mod roms into

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

MVG just released a video on the difficulties of coding for the N64 which is pretty convenient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRslfM-MOOw

This is a good video! Thanks!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR8SIukTBWk

Am I understanding this video properly? If you have a flash cart and an Ultra HDMI mod you can actually get games to play in genuine 1080p like if they were running on an emulator or something?

The video claims they're running at 720p upscaled to 1080 via UltraHDMI, but I don't think that's accurate. Like another poster said, it's probably patched to run at 480i, and THAT is being upscaled. The video is 4:3 and you can clearly see interlacing.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
When it comes to Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, I can only play it with the hacked up 1964 emulator to add mouse and keyboard controls (and 60fps). It's just easier than unraveling two decades of muscle memory of Halo style controls. The mouse and keyboard injector works better than I thought it would. It's almost as good as a native PC game. Yes, it makes the game insanely easy but that just gives you many more opportunities to mess with the AI (crotch shot only run)

https://archive.org/details/1964GEPD

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I can still handle Goldeneye/PD controls as well as I ever could, mostly because all N64 games have terrible controls so I go in expecting it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

i was always amazed that the psp can sorta not awfully emulate some n64 games

The PSP had a similar MIPS processor to the N64 and PS1 which simplified emulating those systems quite a lot, newer portables based on ARM processors require more complex recompilers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I just found out about the Coleco Telstar Arcade, and it has to be the most amazingly ridiculous First Generation console I've ever seen, would probably be stupid expensive to hunt one down(especially if one wanted all the cartridges it had) and probably wouldn't be all that fun to actually play either

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm still really crossing my fingers that Nintendo releases an N64 Classic that we can mod roms into

It's too bad the iQue Player isn't quite a directly compatible machine.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nice! The new mintypi version is out.

https://sudomod.com/mintypi-lite/

I'm picking up two. Does anyone want me to build them one?

This is a retropie handheld running off a rasp pi zero w. It has a lot of cool features.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kazvall posted:

Nice! The new mintypi version is out.

https://sudomod.com/mintypi-lite/

I'm picking up two. Does anyone want me to build them one?

This is a retropie handheld running off a rasp pi zero w. It has a lot of cool features.

How much would one cost, cause I'm definitely intrigued, though I wouldn't be able to send payment till at least Friday

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

How much would one cost, cause I'm definitely intrigued, though I wouldn't be able to send payment till at least Friday

Let's see. We'll take it to PMs from here but if anyone else is curious about building their own altoids tin handheld:

Mintypi Lite PCB Kit - $50
Laser Pre-Cut Peppermint Altoids Tin - $11
Lite Battery - $10
Mutlicolor 3d printed parts (red) - $35
Lite Buttons - $8
Rasp Pi Zero W and 16gb sd card - $20

It'll look something like this except I chose black buttons. It would come to be about $175 shipped since I have to do a bit of soldering and putting it together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gourdcaptain posted:

N64 emulation arguably also got hamstrung by bad architectural decisions early on: I've never seen a plugin-based emulator that wasn't a pain, and the two main options, Project64 has had a history of bad decisionmaking in how it's bundled (and is Windows only) and Mupen64plus has no GUI built in.

Seriously, I got into retro consoles solely so I could use an actual N64 with decent quality over either of those.

Iiirc, wasn't the SDK kinda crap as well, so developers had to code a lot of functionality from scratch?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

To be fair, that's at least partly because the PS2 era is when you start seeing middleware engines like Unreal rise up to standardize things.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Milkman posted:

When it comes to Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, I can only play it with the hacked up 1964 emulator to add mouse and keyboard controls (and 60fps). It's just easier than unraveling two decades of muscle memory of Halo style controls.
On real hardware, I like to use the control scheme that has movement on the d-pad and aiming on the stick. It's close enough to the Halo style and I'm much, much better at the game than I ever was with the default controls.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's not just middleware as we understand it, but even concepts like "shaders" don't quite exist yet on the N64. It speaks such a different and oblique 3D langauge from modern systems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, that's at least partly because the PS2 era is when you start seeing middleware engines like Unreal rise up to standardize things.

Middleware has nothing to do with emulating specific hardware though, otherwise a lot more UE2 games would be working in CXBX-reloaded

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Emulators are often tailored for specific popular games (for example, early N64 emulation was very focused on being able to run Super Mario 64), at least in early development. Middleware can help with that, if it allows the developer to tailor their emu to families of games instead of individual ones. It can also keep developers doing things like "deliberately crash the graphics chip to create a battle transition", which reduces the work for the emulator developer.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I posted a screenshot of the golden hi res patch here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877134&pagenumber=14#post502622974

There are two patches you can do, a 480i one or 640x240p http://n64vault.com/ge-misc:goldeneye-hi-res

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 28, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gnoman posted:

Emulators are often tailored for specific popular games (for example, early N64 emulation was very focused on being able to run Super Mario 64), at least in early development. Middleware can help with that, if it allows the developer to tailor their emu to families of games instead of individual ones. It can also keep developers doing things like "deliberately crash the graphics chip to create a battle transition", which reduces the work for the emulator developer.

Yeah, middleware is the backbone of how N64 HLE emulation works. The thing with the N64 is that although the GPU is technically programmable the vast majority of retail games ran one of two generic SGI/Nintendo-written microcodes on it, so emulators exploited that by reimplementing those two microcodes at a high level instead of fully emulating the GPU and running the original code, which works pretty well until you get to Factor 5 games and cry because they used custom microcode.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
and then Factor 5 made emulator devs cry again on the gamecube.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

One day, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine will work on an N64 emulator. One day!

I swear I saw a screen of GlideN64 (or whatever the Patreon-supported fairly-accurate plugin was) actually running it, but I've never gotten it to work myself. Granted, I have a cart and a PC copy, so I don't exactly need it, but it'd be nice!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not just middleware as we understand it, but even concepts like "shaders" don't quite exist yet on the N64. It speaks such a different and oblique 3D langauge from modern systems.

More relevantly, each and every N64 developer wrote their own insane unique way of interpreting that language to achieve simple things like lighting or textures.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Early 3D consolea were an amazing time of everyone trying to figure out what system architecture would be the best to use and what features are needed. And then developers scratching their heads on what the gently caress to actually do with the massive leap in possibilities they were given.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Middleware has nothing to do with emulating specific hardware though, otherwise a lot more UE2 games would be working in CXBX-reloaded

well, no, this isn't quite accurate. middleware doesn't inherently make it easier starting from nothing, but, to keep going with your example, it means that when one UE2 game gets to a working status in CXBX-reloaded, the other UE2 games on Xbox can take advantage of the same work and presumably get to the same status pretty fast because they're all using the same backend API calls and such.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 28, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This mad lad made a GBASP with two screens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnVadAsvGU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

azurite posted:

The video claims they're running at 720p upscaled to 1080 via UltraHDMI, but I don't think that's accurate. Like another poster said, it's probably patched to run at 480i, and THAT is being upscaled. The video is 4:3 and you can clearly see interlacing.

The game is running at an internal resolution of 480i. The n64 is outputting at 720p via the ultrahdmi, and then they are upscaling that to 1080p with the mclassic hdmi adapter thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

This mad lad made a GBASP with two screens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnVadAsvGU

I really love how over the last few weeks, his channel has gone from "hi here is this Game Boy that i really like" to "i am slowly going insane from isolation."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really love how over the last few weeks, his channel has gone from "hi here is this Game Boy that i really like" to "i am slowly going insane from isolation."

It's the absolute hell of having little else to do but actually do stuff with all this old tech we accumulate. I was looking up guides on how to repair iPods earlier, it's getting bad. Hell LGR did a video on his alt channel of him doing a laser replacement on a 1 series PSX.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

GutBomb posted:

The game is running at an internal resolution of 480i. The n64 is outputting at 720p via the ultrahdmi, and then they are upscaling that to 1080p with the mclassic hdmi adapter thing.

Thus is exactly what’s going on. I also forgot that I posted some screenshots of the mclassic and ultrahdmi in action in this thread a while back.

https://imgur.com/a/DnXCS6R

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I just picked up a copy of Pokémon Silver on Game Boy, and I’m seeing a strange issue when I boot it up. After I select “New Game” all sorts of things might happen, but the game usually freezes up and stops working before it can actually be played. In particular I’ll get a text box that says “No windows available for po” as the game freezes.

I did some googling and the best guess I’ve got is that the game is somehow corrupted from too much game shark use, or there is some kind of connection issue on board. I contacted the seller and they are sending a replacement, and they have no interest in the cartridge I have after I showed them some pictures. I might try to fix it if I can, at worst it’s a chance to practice soldering. Any chance that anyone in this thread has seen something like this before?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, if it's a corrupted save, a Game Shark might actually be able to wipe the save data for you and get it back to a fresh state. At any rate, I discovered it could erase the save for Metal Gear Solid from whatever it had when I bought it new, so it seems like that's a thing it can do.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I just picked up a copy of Pokémon Silver on Game Boy, and I’m seeing a strange issue when I boot it up. After I select “New Game” all sorts of things might happen, but the game usually freezes up and stops working before it can actually be played. In particular I’ll get a text box that says “No windows available for po” as the game freezes.

I did some googling and the best guess I’ve got is that the game is somehow corrupted from too much game shark use, or there is some kind of connection issue on board. I contacted the seller and they are sending a replacement, and they have no interest in the cartridge I have after I showed them some pictures. I might try to fix it if I can, at worst it’s a chance to practice soldering. Any chance that anyone in this thread has seen something like this before?

It could have some kind of corrupted save, if you can't get far enough in to delete it, then disconnecting the battery could do it. I don't think anything could happen to the ROM part of it via GameShark.

You might also want to open it up and make sure it's the real thing, there are a LOT of Pokemon bootlegs around.

If you happen to have an N64, Pokemon Stadium, and Transfer Pak hanging around, it might be worth trying it there. At least to see if it identifies a bad save and might let you delete it. Or loads in the emulator and lets you delete it from there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Picked up a free fat ps2 from my neighborhood Buy Nothing group. Came with an s-video cable (which I can't currently use), a DualShock 1 and two memory cards.

If I can't get a Retro Access SCART cable when they become available, what is the next best option for getting this console onto an HD display?

I have an OSSC at my disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Picked up a free fat ps2 from my neighborhood Buy Nothing group. Came with an s-video cable (which I can't currently use), a DualShock 1 and two memory cards.

If I can't get a Retro Access SCART cable when they become available, what is the next best option for getting this console onto an HD display?

I have an OSSC at my disposal.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk

They ship to the US without much issue.

Edit: Oh, PS2. Consider component cables instead. Lot more of those milling about that you can pick up for cheap.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 29, 2020