Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Megasabin posted:

I traded for FFO, but when I opened the box I just closed it back up. There are so many drat pieces. I really like inserts, but there's no point in getting one yet because the game has 2 more planned large expansions.

They'll never fit. The first one just barely fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Is there a list somewhere of big asmodee titles?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

Is there a list somewhere of big asmodee titles?

It would almost be too long to list, given that they own FFG, Days of Wonder, Ystari and Z-Man among many other publishers.

You could look at this, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

And The Danes is closer to a full new game than an expansion. It has new home boards, two new types of building sideboards, a full set of new islands, a new action board, new profession decks, at least one new type of ship and components for a fifth player. I think it's quite likely to come in a box close to the same size as the original game, with the intent of leaving space for The Swedish and the Gods mini-expansion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We're totally preordering that poo poo.

Harvest mini expansion just came in, not that we've been able to handle games in the evenings given the hell that is two kids under the age of 6.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I was just saying the other day how impressed I was that Asmodee had not smacked TTS modules with DMCAs like a sack of bricks, because they suck. Most other companies would probably not care about that sort of piracy since playing with physical components is really superior and only people who can't afford or don't have game groups (and probably not playing games) are resorting to TTS. Of course, the current global pandemic is a different situation entirely, but also drat what a time to decide to gently caress over your customers. Of course the BGG thread is full of people defending the move... like yeah it's their IP, but drat.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Fellis posted:

I was just saying the other day how impressed I was that Asmodee had not smacked TTS modules with DMCAs like a sack of bricks, because they suck. Most other companies would probably not care about that sort of piracy since playing with physical components is really superior and only people who can't afford or don't have game groups (and probably not playing games) are resorting to TTS. Of course, the current global pandemic is a different situation entirely, but also drat what a time to decide to gently caress over your customers. Of course the BGG thread is full of people defending the move... like yeah it's their IP, but drat.

I mean, whether it's morally right or not, their position is much more understandable than their recent hill of them trying to gently caress over local game stores by making them be their customer support. Also, they have a digital division so they have some much more direct competition there. Even if you don't like it, its relatively easy to understand.

If they did this any time other than a time when everyone is chained to their computers, this wouldn't have even been a blip. Doing it right now is just such a huge unforced error. (Unless they've been doing it this whole time and now it's just getting more notice?)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fellis posted:

It's particularly dumb as poo poo during the pandemic, when most companies are realising that whatever they would normally do about their digital arms, their physical arms are loving DEAD right now, because nobody can go into the shops to buy them and nobody can meet the friends they play them with, so being lenient with the online offers is not just sensible but advisable, from a PR perspective and a monetary perspective. See, Magic making Brawl free on Arena and not loving about with keeping the current-set drafting up, moving Friday Night Magic to online, etc.

Taking the opportunity, when people cannot buy and often cannot use your physical products, to shut down the unofficial digital products, when you don't even HAVE official digital products for most of them, is staggeringly dense and shortsighted.

The amount of bootlicking going on in the BGG thread sure is amusing though.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

And The Danes is closer to a full new game than an expansion. It has new home boards, two new types of building sideboards, a full set of new islands, a new action board, new profession decks, at least one new type of ship and components for a fifth player. I think it's quite likely to come in a box close to the same size as the original game, with the intent of leaving space for The Swedish and the Gods mini-expansion.

I had no idea about the Swedes and Gods... Feast is quickly becoming this game that needs it's own chest. I thought someone said it was going to come in a super box designed to fit everything? God I love this game.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I understand where they're coming from but agree with the general consensus that the timing is terrible. Also, I know a few people (myself included) who have used TTS to check games before I buy them. Without being able to test the game I am far more likely to just not buy it as opposed to taking a blind punt. In normal times I can't imagine that makes up for the potential loss of revenue but these aren't normal times and giving people positive feelings towards your IPs during a crisis might actually give you a pretty solid return for no work.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Magnetic North posted:

I mean, whether it's morally right or not, their position is much more understandable than their recent hill of them trying to gently caress over local game stores by making them be their customer support. Also, they have a digital division so they have some much more direct competition there. Even if you don't like it, its relatively easy to understand.

If they did this any time other than a time when everyone is chained to their computers, this wouldn't have even been a blip. Doing it right now is just such a huge unforced error. (Unless they've been doing it this whole time and now it's just getting more notice?)

Oh I definitely understand it, I was surprised they hadn't done this a few months ago when they were making all the other bad decisions. Also agree that this wouldn't have registered a few months ago, I hadn't even used TTS to play anything till two weeks ago, and now I have a bi-weekly Arkham LCG group and played several other games I've really enjoyed.

thespaceinvader posted:

Taking the opportunity, when people cannot buy and often cannot use your physical products, to shut down the unofficial digital products, when you don't even HAVE official digital products for most of them, is staggeringly dense and shortsighted.

Yep, I would probably shrug and just buy the official product for Arkham LCG or whatever if it existed. But not even Gloomhaven digital has multiplayer yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FulsomFrank posted:

I had no idea about the Swedes and Gods... Feast is quickly becoming this game that needs it's own chest. I thought someone said it was going to come in a super box designed to fit everything? God I love this game.

I know it was the plan at one point, but I think that went for a burton. Two more expansions the size of The Norwegians it might have been possible, but now it would have to be the size of two base game boxes side by side - you can't really make it deeper or things get too hard to take out and put back. So that's very nearly the size of the Cthulhu Wars box.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've always been surprised at how many mods have been allowed to stay up for TTS, so I'm in the 'this isn't really surprising' crowd, even if I agree that it's bad timing. I really doubt TTS costs companies many sales except maybe in the same way that a video game demo might, by convincing people who just flat out don't like a game that they shouldn't buy it (ideally making up for that by people who otherwise might not buy liking the game enough to buy it). That said, the scripting on some games makes them arguably as convenient to play as a physical copy (looking at you Gloomhaven), so I can see advances there making them leery (though Isaac has embraced the platform).

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

The timing does suck, but it's hardly a surprise or a real dick move. I'm mostly just surprised at people's reactions, which presumably comes from the usual "I'm entitled to this for free because I'll totally give them loads of money in the future" stuff you normally hear from the terminally online.

"I'm never buying another Asmodee game because they won't let me illegally play their stuff for free on a platform where someone is infringing their copyright" is a hell of a hill to die on, especially given the dozens of other reasons they've given for you not to buy their games.

I also find the whole "There's a pandemic and I should be allowed to use this to play with my friends" thing weird, not least because Tabletopia is *right* there, is free and is also official and sanctioned by publishers. If you insist on using TTS to play an Asmodee game you're not clinging to games in a horrible world. Maybe just play something else?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think longstanding antipathy to other aspects of Asmodee's business practices are making the backlash more vocal than it would otherwise be.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If Asmodee made a good digital Arkham LCG I would buy it and every DLC, but they hosed up Lord of the goddamned Rings, then unceremoniously killed it. So lotta confidence here.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good new board game content. This is the stuff ProZD would make if ProZD would stop making mtg-only tabletop skits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3Qks6iDYc

Lots of nice reviews too, including one about Caverna having too much bloat for its own good. Sharing this one because I firmly believe this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XruiilGt0Gc when I talk about introducing new people straight to FCM/1830/etc.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

I think I'm hoping they will release a big box with an insert as part of some future release.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So what is the best way to make sure I have access to everything in the future? I hear subscribing alone doesn't do it

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

CaptainApathyUK posted:

The timing does suck, but it's hardly a surprise or a real dick move. I'm mostly just surprised at people's reactions, which presumably comes from the usual "I'm entitled to this for free because I'll totally give them loads of money in the future" stuff you normally hear from the terminally online.

"I'm never buying another Asmodee game because they won't let me illegally play their stuff for free on a platform where someone is infringing their copyright" is a hell of a hill to die on, especially given the dozens of other reasons they've given for you not to buy their games.

I bought a physical copy of Gaia Project so I could play online on TTS guilt-free. I did the same with Arkham Horror LCG. I don't play games on TTS that someone in the group doesn't own.

Asmodee can be within their legal rights to request takedown of the mods, it doesn't make it any less of a dick move, especially since there are not digital alternatives for most FFG games.

Digital copies and physical copies of board games are not equivalent goods - I can't play my physical copy with friends hundreds of miles away, or during a pandemic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

So what is the best way to make sure I have access to everything in the future? I hear subscribing alone doesn't do it

this tool does it all for you

https://www.nexusmods.com/tabletopsimulator/mods/263

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's not exactly super hi tech, but having one friend with a board game arena account is handy cause it's cheap and they can invite people who don't pay to play games with them. It doesn't have everything, but 3 bucks a month for Puerto Rico /TTA/Caylus/Keyflower + some other stuff ain't bad when you can get friends in whenever.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Cool, thanks for the file BL!

What are the best mods worth archiving?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The GH scripted one, Arkham LCG complete, and Spirit Island (that one is probably fine?) for sure.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

The GH scripted one, Arkham LCG complete, and Spirit Island (that one is probably fine?) for sure.

Arkham LCG is having some issues with the Google-hosted files for me - anyone else too?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Marvel Champions scripted mod is good. It can import decks from MarvelCDB. Not a lot of content in the game yet, and with the takedown, it is unlikely to get updated much. However, it is a good way to try it out at least.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Arkham LCG is having some issues with the Google-hosted files for me - anyone else too?

I'm seeing that too. I suspect they're probably some files for the customs scenarios - probably not terribly important. Maybe the glut of folks backing up the mod went over the Google Drive download limit?

Rusty Kettle posted:

The Marvel Champions scripted mod is good. It can import decks from MarvelCDB. Not a lot of content in the game yet, and with the takedown, it is unlikely to get updated much. However, it is a good way to try it out at least.

Ooh, good to know. I have the expansions sitting in a order waiting for stock, but I was never able to get the OCTGN mod up and running (it was supposed to be 2-5 days, Atomic :argh:).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 28, 2020

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Stickman posted:

I'm seeing that too. I suspect they're probably some files for the customs scenarios - probably not terribly important. Maybe the glut of folks backing up the mod went over the Google Drive download limit?

Funny thing is that if I use the Remote Open option, it accesses the individual file in my browser.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, I'm seeing that too - they must have just locked down whatever method TTS Backup is using to access them. I wonder if there's a good way to determine what the local filename is supposed to be in order to manually import them?

E: Lets see if TTS can download them...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It sounds like the Google Drive issues are something that's been cropping up with certain link types over the past few months. I managed to manually download the problematic links and the files work in-game now.

In TTS Mod Backup, the right-click menu will let you copy the local filename for a missing file so when you open the remote file in your web browser (with "Open Remote" in the right-click menu), you can rename it to "[Local Filename].[tag]" and save it in TTS' Mod/Images folder in your Documents directory. You can get the full path to the Images folder by choosing "Open Local" in the right-click menu for a file that had previously successfully downloaded! Once you have everything manually downloaded, just restart TTS Mod Backup and it show 100% downloaded.

If you want to double-check that they're working in-game, the "Limens of Belief" custom side-story in the "Side Stories" box is one of the decks with non-functional links.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Megasabin posted:

I think I'm hoping they will release a big box with an insert as part of some future release.

But it'll be obsolete the minute Gernot thinks of something else he wants to do. I don't get the impression that he is someone who will ever be done with this game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Zman returns publishing rights to Feuerland for its Feuerland games including A Feast for Odin. Capstone picks up publishing rights for Terra Mystica and Gaia Project. Asmodee will continue to distribute Feuerland games in the US.
https://www.zmangames.com/en/news/2020/4/27/z-man-returns-publishing-rights-to-feuerland/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Capstone is becoming quite the powerhouse publisher these days.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I hope that Capstone does a re-release of Terra Mystica with updated graphic design. The original is def cringey in a few ways.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I want a hard copy of the https://terra.snellman.net/ interface.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

On the topic of Asmodee and TTS, it's somewhat telling that they did this at a time when people are stuck in their homes unable to get together for games. It just seems needlessly antagonistic towards their customer base. I wonder if some suit heard of TTS for the first time in a pandemic related conversation and decided to take it all down.

In any case even if they start cracking down, game rules aren't covered by copywright. They can't stop someone from uploading the "Mythos Card Game" mod, which is just Arkham Horror LCG with replacement art and flavor text.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'd add Mage Knight Plus (Highly Scripted) to this list. One of the best scripted mods I've ever seen. Probably safe on account of being Wizkids and not Asmodee but who knows if Asmodee taking this step won't entice other publishers to follow suit.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Ojetor posted:

I'd add Mage Knight Plus (Highly Scripted) to this list. One of the best scripted mods I've ever seen. Probably safe on account of being Wizkids and not Asmodee but who knows if Asmodee taking this step won't entice other publishers to follow suit.

Mage Knight is getting an official digital adaptation, right? It might be more at risk if so.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ojetor posted:

I wonder if some suit heard of TTS for the first time in a pandemic related conversation and decided to take it all down.

I would put good money down that it is this, TTS has been out too long and they're too big a publisher for it to have never come up til now. If they were that protective of their IP they would have been occasionally searching for copyright violations and found out about it before now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ojetor posted:

I wonder if some suit heard of TTS for the first time in a pandemic related conversation and decided to take it all down.

Yeah it sounds very lawyer-ly. Hope they don't find out about the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Codeacious posted:

Mage Knight is getting an official digital adaptation, right? It might be more at risk if so.

Feel like it was announced over a year ago