Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You could just stop watching it instead of ruining it for everyone else out of like spite or ego or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

You could just stop watching it instead of ruining it for everyone else out of like spite or ego or whatever

It's a discussion thread. I like to complain about things. That's what the forums are for. 10 posts of Davros1 live posting the episodes is basically the only other activity the thread gets now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s the only network sitcom that’s actually worth watching.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Taear posted:

It's a discussion thread. I like to complain about things. That's what the forums are for.

Help me understand the compulsion to consume media you don't like just to bitchpost about it on the tubes in lieu of getting an actual hobby or whatever.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pandaal posted:

Help me understand the compulsion to consume media you don't like just to bitchpost about it on the tubes in lieu of getting an actual hobby or whatever.

But I do like it. I've already said 30% of the episodes are good. It's just that it used to be higher and it's a shame that the show has taken such a quality drop.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've got it at about 80% great eps this season, so they can keep going.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Taear posted:

It's a discussion thread. I like to complain about things. That's what the forums are for. 10 posts of Davros1 live posting the episodes is basically the only other activity the thread gets now.

Complaining is one thing actively wishing for a show people enjoy to end to protect your nostalgia of earlier seasons is a completely different beast

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Complaining is one thing actively wishing for a show people enjoy to end to protect your nostalgia of earlier seasons is a completely different beast

I mean people enjoy big bang theory and I still wished for that to end? We've seen that lovely new ones actively ruin the old ones like with Game of Thrones or Scrubs or whatever other example you can think of.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think this was one of the weaker seasons, but it had some loving amazing episodes and I very much hope it gets renewed.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Taear posted:

new ones actively ruin the old ones

This isn't a real thing.

The old ones are still right there, unchanged.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HookShot posted:

I think this was one of the weaker seasons, but it had some loving amazing episodes and I very much hope it gets renewed.

It was already renewed for a season 8

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I also think wanting BBT to end is silly

I don’t like it either but I never had to watch it so I ignored it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
what they should actually do is make forty spin offs, like every other cop show

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

what they should actually do is make forty spin offs, like every other cop show

Young Hitchcock and Scully spin-off please!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Brooklyn-99: Major Crimes Unit starring Dean Winters
Brooklyn-99: The Academy starring Ken Marino

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The only spinoff I want is 80s Holt.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Davros1 posted:

It was already renewed for a season 8

Oh yay I didn't know this!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mymla posted:

The only spinoff I want is 80s Holt.

:hmmyes:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
If they make a Brooklyn Nine-Nine spin-off, it has to go along with the style of comedy used on the show. That means, since Brooklyn Nine-Nine has the name of a city in it, so should the spin-off, and it can't be Brooklyn.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: St. Louis, Missouri.

Extra points for hilariously contrived guest appearances by members of the main show's cast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tarlibone posted:

Extra points for hilariously contrived guest appearances by members of the main show's cast.

Both Frasier and Wings managed it!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
There would be potential for an awkward crossover with 'Superstore' as it takes place in St. Louis as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How ironic... nothing in st louis is super

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just finished season 7.

This show is like comfort food to me, and this season was no exception. I love it so much.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yes, let’s make a sitcom about police in Saint Louis, well knows for being wacky, affable funtime friendly dudes and definitely not a racist terror group.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Yes, let’s make a sitcom about police in Saint Louis, well knows for being wacky, affable funtime friendly dudes and definitely not a racist terror group.

You know that Brooklyn is in New York, and that the main characters on this show are in the NYPD, right?

Do I need to keep going, or are you getting the irony of your statement yet? Because I don't want to stop your posting and frisk you for details if you were just joking, but this post came off as having Trump levels of non-self-awareness.

Edit: Or non-awareness? I have no idea if you're a New York homer or not. It's just... wow. Wow.

"We can't set the police show that started in New York in St. Louis because the St. Louis cops are racist."

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 28, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair at least the NYPD doesn’t have a black site they use for torture like in Chicago

That we know about I suppose

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair at least the NYPD doesn’t have a black site they use for torture like in Chicago

Ha. Yeah. And what I found morbidly hilarious about that was that the news of the CPD Hidey Hell Hole broke right after the premiere of Chicago PD, a Dick Wolf show about rough Chicago cops who aren't afraid to knock information out of suspects in custody (often being held in a location where nobody knew where they were). And wisely, the show totally ignored the real-life controversy, probably because it retconned the show to being a little too on-the-nose.

My wife and I seriously wondered if current events would force a major retooling, or even the cancelation, of the show.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That we know about I suppose

Yeah, pretty much.

It's all academic anyway. The NYPD's history (a lot of it recent) of overt institutional racism is so well-documented that I still don't know if the comment about STL's finest was intentionally funny or not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Brooklyn 99 basically presents everyone in the police outside the 99 core group as human monsters or turbo morons.

Also the fire department.

And all the federal agencies.

Including the post office.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Brooklyn 99 basically presents everyone in the police outside the 99 core group as human monsters or turbo morons.

I feel like the post office was the only one that's really been dunked on (dong'd on?); the fire dept stuff isn't that bad. I feel like it's just a few characters who are friendly-anti-FD.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Which is weird as the post office is objectively good

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sean10mm posted:

And the Swedish.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey now, the Swedes weren't portrayed as bad or stupid, and outside of non-99 police departments, like detective Quinn, the others have been portrayed as incompetent, but not malicious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is weird as the post office is objectively good

Yeah, but Donger was a major dong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Taear posted:

It's a discussion thread. I like to complain about things. That's what the forums are for.
It isn't, though. I've heard variations on "the internet is for angry negativity and you're just being too sensitive" for decades, and it's just not true. You, like many, have just decided that since it's what you enjoy, it's what an entire communications medium is for.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

They talk on the podcast about possibly doing a Pimento version of The Rockford Files where he’s an insurance agent or something.

I’d mostly like to see a “Everybody but Jake and Charles goes somewhere else to start a new life” but since Samberg is a producer that is unlikely.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sean10mm posted:

This isn't a real thing.

The old ones are still right there, unchanged.

It is a real thing though. If a show has bad seasons it means it fades from memory. I'm not going to say the later series of Friends were amazing but it never went off that hill and now it's still being watched by new generations thanks to Netflix.
Whereas Scrubs absolutely did and once it'd aired it died.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Unless it's on a streaming service I don't care about somewhere, then yeah, it did, didn't it? The last seasons of that show I didn't watch. I think I maybe saw a couple of episodes here and there after they lost some of the main cast and moved from the original hospital setting. Before that, it was appointment TV in my house. And even though I have really fond memories of that show... yeah, I don't think I've ever once tried to find it to watch it again. Maybe a clip or two, like Dr. Cox's wonderful "you will kill someone" speech, but that's it.

Some shows are like that. Once their run is done, subconsciously, my brain says, "Well, that was a thing that existed. Glad I experienced it. But we won't ever watch any of this again. Ever. Next!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Unless it's on a streaming service I don't care about somewhere, then yeah, it did, didn't it? The last seasons of that show I didn't watch. I think I maybe saw a couple of episodes here and there after they lost some of the main cast and moved from the original hospital setting. Before that, it was appointment TV in my house. And even though I have really fond memories of that show... yeah, I don't think I've ever once tried to find it to watch it again. Maybe a clip or two, like Dr. Cox's wonderful "you will kill someone" speech, but that's it.

Some shows are like that. Once their run is done, subconsciously, my brain says, "Well, that was a thing that existed. Glad I experienced it. But we won't ever watch any of this again. Ever. Next!"

Yes, I feel like the reason this happens though is you know the show has gone downhill, so you stop watching it and just forget it exists.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It isn't, though. I've heard variations on "the internet is for angry negativity and you're just being too sensitive" for decades, and it's just not true. You, like many, have just decided that since it's what you enjoy, it's what an entire communications medium is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

It is a real thing though. If a show has bad seasons it means it fades from memory. I'm not going to say the later series of Friends were amazing but it never went off that hill and now it's still being watched by new generations thanks to Netflix.

I mean The Simpsons has had plenty of bad seasons and it's still being quoted nonstop.