Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

Iirc it used to be in storage but it's in the bank now. I have never seen it, it's only been described to me as a lot of old product. It's probably 2 pallets of vintage boxes (alpha, Arabian nights, etc) and there is probably less than a grand in it. The store owner is the original wholesale purchaser of the product back in the day.

Best part is I'm fairly certain they made more money off the OG pokemon craze with all the product they had in storage than they ever did with MTG. They are just smart business nerds I guess

What the hell? A sealed pack of alpha is worth more than 5 grand, you're making no sense whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My mtg finance story is that I bought loads of packs as a child between 1996-2000, failed to open most of the cards that are now worth anything, then lost them all anyway except for a Xanthic Statue

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

uggy posted:

2 pallets of old stuff including alpha but not worth more than a grand??

Buddy

Is it just a bunch of gatecrash

Reading comprehension, have you tried it yet? I heard it's good stuff but ymmv. They didn't spend more than a grand on it because they probably paid $25 a box or so. I have personally thrown away 3-4 boxes of alpha through unlimited away in the trash because dude probably paid $20ish bucks a box and forgot about them in the basement until after it flooded a few times and the dog pissed on them and then he forgot them again.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 27, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My mtgfinance story is that I always think about what I could be doing instead with my time and money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I sold most of my modern and all my legacy stuff before pioneer was announced. I sold the rest after, although almost all of it slid 30% at that point.

I sold every pioneer staple over 10 bucks before the Rona hit.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Star Man posted:

My mtgfinance story is that I always think about what I could be doing instead with my time and money.

There are several kids in my Econ class this semester who make more with a vending machine they bought off EBay selling M&M's and peanuts than most MTG finance ppl do with cardboard arbitrage. I'd rather spend my time owning condom machines in bars TBH I binder grind to keep as much cash out of it as I can

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Money breaks brains.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

PJOmega posted:

What the hell? A sealed pack of alpha is worth more than 5 grand, you're making no sense whatsoever.

I'm not yet into my coffee, my apologies I always find it difficult to explain myself in this kind of climate. The store bought the cards in 1993 or whenever at whole sale prices. That's how they have so little invested in the product.

Although their son was about to go to college when I moved away, the shop may be down a box or two of something to cover that bill

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

uggy posted:

That’s higher than minimum wage in America

Once you have your 10,000 hours of Nerding Cred, it's not hard to beat minimum wage with MTGFinance just by sticking to very basic, boring picks. I don't put much time or energy into this, but I have done better than minimum wage on the few hundred bucks I have pocketed in the last couple years . I don't spec as much as buy large numbers of things that amuse me if they seem to me to be underpriced when I am buying them. When the wizards EDH deck was spoiled and I was buying wizards I got a bunch of 9th ed Anarchist foils because they were real cheap and I like old foils and never lose money on them:

Sell:

Shipping negligible since this was part of a large sell order, but I had to sell these 3-4 at a time, so yeah I made something like $3 a pop on them after shipping, but there's an hour spent making thirty bucks. :toot: Note that was an unusually good score; usually I will pull stuff and send it if I think I can make $15-20hr in my time, and do it while I am watching HR training videos for work or something.

It doesn't scale, though. Maybe you can make fifteen bucks an hour, you're not going to make thirty on a regular basis unless you have some kind of insane edge as far as being able to look at new sets and read the metagame, and even at that I'd be pretty surprised. Ofc, I've put maybe forty hours a year into this for the last couple years; the people putting sixty hours a week in know a lot more than I do. I just ride their coattails once in a while.

You can beat minimum wage on bulk and well timed buy/sells of perennial poo poo like Sol Rings. The reason more people don't do it is... well, actually, a lot of people do, plus it's loving hard work that involves a bunch of business skills (order tracking, watching the market, customer service, etc etc) which if you are good at have a bunch of other applications which may be more lucrative. Also, if you are doing things above board, congratulations you are now a self-employed worker and your tax situation sucks more than it would working for Taco Bell. (This may matter less if you're only making $25,000 a year, unsure).

edit: my proudest possession is an 8 or 8.5 beckett graded LE Killer Bees that someone had beckett graded for some reason and I got for like $4. It's now a $20 card ungraded, and I will never part with it, because it will eventually be mounted on my wall under a sign that says "IN CASE OF ISLAND FISH JASCONIUS, BREAK GLASS"

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 27, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PleasantDirge posted:

There are several kids in my Econ class this semester who make more with a vending machine they bought off EBay selling M&M's and peanuts than most MTG finance ppl do with cardboard arbitrage. I'd rather spend my time owning condom machines in bars TBH I binder grind to keep as much cash out of it as I can

I only sell my cards when I need money fast. And when I start selling, everything might as well go.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Star Man posted:

I only sell my cards when I need money fast. And when I start selling, everything might as well go.

I've never sold anything really, only moved from one format to another, but I am in the process of paring my collection down to a lowly ~5 legacy, 3 modern, 1 pioneer deck.

I am just putting it all in a deckbox and will probably sell it as a collection to a single buyer for the usual 65-70% of book, because the amount of time involved in claiming that last 30% is a doozy. I might bother to sell the duals and mox diamonds and stuff myself, might not, depends on the offer. I don't desperately need money yet but COVID world seems like a good excuse to hold more cash and less cardboard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In 10-15 years money won’t be worth the fabric it’s printed on and magic will still be a game you can play, seems suspect

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Eagerly await the cities that only take payment in Jace, the Mind Sculptors.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

In 10-15 years money won’t be worth the fabric it’s printed on and magic will still be a game you can play, seems suspect

that's why I'm keeping 8 decks

I will spend the money in the next 10-15 years don't worry

Count Bleck posted:

Eagerly await the cities that only take payment in Jace, the Mind Sculptors.

would you like to be an early buyer of a plot in my 2030 compound? As of 1/1/2025 when construction of the battlements starts, reserving a 10x10 plot will cost you 150 jaces, but right now you can get the Early Prepper fee of only 95 jaces (minimum 50% WWK)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 27, 2020

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
DCI numbers being discontinued, switching over to WOTC account (one used for Arena)

https://magic.gg/news/sunsetting-planeswalker-points

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Tainen posted:

DCI numbers being discontinued, switching over to WOTC account (one used for Arena)

this is gonna tilt TF out of people with super low DCI numbers

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

gently caress, my low DCI # was my retirement plan.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tainen posted:

But I did enjoy looking at my DCI rank by country.

edit: I wonder how sites like Magicstats will work now.

edit edit:

quote:

Will my Planeswalker Points history be saved?

You will be able to access your Planeswalker Points history until May 27, 2020. After that it will no longer be available.

Can I download my play history?

No, there is no download functionality for your play history. You can view your play history by logging into the Planeswalker Points website before May 27, 2020. After that date it will no longer be available.

How can I view my new play history using my Wizards Account?

Play history for events using your Wizards Account is not available. We will continue to review and update information available for your Wizards Account as our software and services change in the future.

There are going to be alot of nerds angry about that. I enjoyed looking up my play history and seeing my growth and change as a player.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 27, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/bazardebagda/status/1254798091812769792?s=21

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Imo it's bizarre for wotc to just delete all of that in a month. This is like their most obsessed players' life history and keeps them committed... why wouldn't you just make the small effort to roll that data over?

It doesnt matter to me at all, I just don't get it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So what happens with paper events now, you just use whatever email is tied to your Arena account? Are they going to be issuing new identifiers?

Haha, just kidding, paper events are on their way out, no need to pretend like that matters anymore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

No Wave posted:

Imo it's bizarre for wotc to just delete all of that in a month. This is like their most obsessed players' life history and keeps them committed... why wouldn't you just make the small effort to roll that data over?

It doesnt matter to me at all, I just don't get it.

The costs of keeping that data is meaningless. I not wanting to intergrate that data with the new system as that cost isn't meaningless, but this entire thing seems rushed.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
#mtgfinance

I bought literally $600 worth of magic cards because I got caught up in the "hindsight will bite you in rear end" hype of collectors booster boxes for throne of eldraine. I'm in Europe so I thought I was getting a steal of a deal because Europe is basically communist so nobody pays speculative prices for anything. Then in response Wizards reprinted throne collectors boosters in Europe, so now all my pretty cards are worth nothing.

In hindsight they wouldn't have been worth anything anyway.

Thought I'd be able to sell the expensive ones, recoup my expenses, and still have cards to play with.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tainen posted:

They can take my low five digit DCI number from my cold dead hands

Edit: my arena number is also five digits so w/e

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nolgthorn posted:

Thought I'd be able to sell the expensive ones, recoup my expenses, and still have cards to play with.

everyone thought that though, collectors boosters are evil

like with theros everyone thought the foil lands would keep the boosters manageble (nope, the lands just got cheaper)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Collector's boosters completely destroying the value of Draft pack foils sucks super bad

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Collector's boosters completely destroying the value of Draft pack foils sucks super bad

That's kind of a good thing. Wizards identified an underutilised segment of their customers, pinned it down, and then that segment of the market no longer bought regular boosters. Cheaper boosters for everyone else. I mean, if the price ever goes down there's no MSRP on the things. At least the secondary market noticed.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Sort of wrecked LGS's though.

I guess people that buy collectors booster boxes don't buy from LGS's either way. But if the value of the booster packs plummets and the price of the booster packs doesn't change, that's not going to be good for stores.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mat Cauthon posted:

So what happens with paper events now, you just use whatever email is tied to your Arena account? Are they going to be issuing new identifiers?

Haha, just kidding, paper events are on their way out, no need to pretend like that matters anymore.

You show up to an LGS in a new town and when you register for an event they ask for your username.
"Weedlord bonerhitler"

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sickening posted:

The costs of keeping that data is meaningless. I not wanting to intergrate that data with the new system as that cost isn't meaningless, but this entire thing seems rushed.

See also: changing the name of their premier tournament series after over two decades just because they couldn't come up with a different name for the Magic Pro League.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ilmucche posted:

You show up to an LGS in a new town and when you register for an event they ask for your username.
"Weedlord bonerhitler"

They should really add a way to let people change their usernames if it's being tied to other poo poo now.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I wonder how they are going to convert bans and things like that over from DCI numbers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sinteres posted:

They should really add a way to let people change their usernames if it's being tied to other poo poo now.

LOL mine is Spitting Slug, a reference to a card people didn't even play when it came out 25 years ago.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

LOL mine is Spitting Slug, a reference to a card people didn't even play when it came out 25 years ago.

it also sounds like a reference to jackin’ it

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My mtgfinance story is buying a battlebond booster with a doubling season in it, then trading it to my friend for a couple of other edh staples. yay

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hauki posted:

it also sounds like a reference to jackin’ it

:thejoke:

twiddling my spitting slug

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sinteres posted:

I'd like to change my username and also decouple it from any other aspect of my life.

At least dci number was always unique and random, but people are going to be pissed when their desired username has been sniped.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I wonder how they are going to convert bans and things like that over from DCI numbers.

This is a good question that I'm guessing they probably never asked. Some of those older forgotten banned players are probably going to try and sneak back in.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ilmucche posted:

At least dci number was always unique and random, but people are going to be pissed when their desired username has been sniped.

Yeah gonna be mad I can't be cardmaster#6969

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I'd like to change my username and also decouple it from any other aspect of my life.

This is a good question that I'm guessing they probably never asked. Some of those older forgotten banned players are probably going to try and sneak back in.

If those folks are just playing ladder matches or whatever and aren't drawing attention to themselves then WotC probably can't/won't bother with them but if they bring attention to themselves (qualify for the Mythic whatever, stream themselves playing, etc.) it wouldn't be hard to just nuke their account like they did to Todd Stevens eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Lurrus was in 51% of top 32 decks in recent legacy challenges. Companions as a whole were 70%. Mishra's Baubles are now 55 Tix.
It's weird, compared to Wrenn or Breach it's not just one deck taking over the metagame, there is still diversity within Lurrus decks even. But it feels like a different format now and I can't wait until they are gone.