Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Very cool that Virgin Media is making GBS threads the bed and taking out our Work From Home VPN once every hour.

Branson's Revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr Phillby posted:

Very cool that Virgin Media is making GBS threads the bed and taking out our Work From Home VPN once every hour.
If the other end of your VPN is Virgin it still works, within the same county at least, so they've essentially turned it into a series of regional LANs (MANs? RANs?).

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Virgin beans, never flicked.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Branston Pickle Man and The poo poo Rocket/Cola Man are the same, right? Otherwise what I just posted does not make any sense.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
From the political editor of the Observer:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tobyhelm/status/1254485412015456256

https://mobile.twitter.com/tobyhelm/status/1254494115833798661

E: lol i forgot what day it was this is from yesterday. happy 27th april everyone time has no meaning anymore

Angepain fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 27, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

That's Fascism! *jazz hands*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thespaceinvader posted:

Very few of the people who have lots of guns are likely to be rioting AGAINST billionaires.

They'll just be against certain billionaires and as far as elections are concerned that is tech billionaires so could be a net posutive?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Guavanaut posted:

If the other end of your VPN is Virgin it still works, within the same county at least, so they've essentially turned it into a series of regional LANs (MANs? RANs?).
Well its for our international call center so unless Virgin broadband is a thing in the us we're pretty boned lol

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

From the political editor of the Observer:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tobyhelm/status/1254485412015456256

https://mobile.twitter.com/tobyhelm/status/1254494115833798661

E: lol i forgot what day it was this is from yesterday. happy 27th april everyone time has no meaning anymore

On the one hand, this is Johnson having a hissy fit because Rupert isn't being nice and he's taken too much coke to remember where the phylactery is, so this is just pettiness writ large.
On the other hand, if Corbyn had decided to literally ignore the BBC for all of 2019, I'd have been fully on-board with that decision.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
University of Salford in partnership with other universities are doing a survey on the impact of coronavirus on mental health / quality of life.

https://beta.salford.ac.uk/news/new-survey-examine-impact-coronavirus-mental-health

quote:

In partnership with the Oslo Met University of Norway, the University of Michigan in the USA and the University of Queensland, Australia, Salford researchers are asking members of the public to complete a ten-minute, online survey. The responses will help the team to understand how the coronavirus pandemic is affecting our quality of life and mental health. The survey will also look at how people are using social media to stay connected.

Dr Mariyana Schoultz, the project lead for the university and lecturer in mental health, said: “We know that the lockdown and social distancing measures are influencing people’s life experiences. We’d like to find how much of an impact this is having on people’s lives in UK, but also to see how that impact compares to other countries in the world such as Norway, the USA and Australia.

“This information will be of huge importance for social and healthcare workers as well as policy makers, and will hopefully influence how we deliver much-needed support services for people affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.”

The survey is open to anyone in the UK who is over the age of 18. It is completely anonymous and does not include any questions that can identify the respondent either by name, e-mail address, telephone number, or other IDs like IP addresses.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Load of free non-fiction books from Springer: everything from computer touching / physics / maths / business / theatre / social justice etc etc.

https://link.springer.com/search/pa...st&showAll=true

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Quick Start Guide to Verilog...

Are they trying to hurt people's brains during lockdown?

Some of those do look good though, thanks!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

oh but seriously I posted:

The Branston Pickle Man and The poo poo Rocket/Cola Man are the same, right? Otherwise what I just posted does not make any sense.

The Virgin bellend is Branson. Not going to lie though, I always thought they were linked when I was younger.

Yeah, Branson is the murder rocket and megastore guy. Famously called the company Virgin because he was a "business virgin" and had (supposedly) never run a business before. Now he's just a "tax virgin".

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Load of free non-fiction books from Springer: everything from computer touching / physics / maths / business / theatre / social justice etc etc.

Ta!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

HopperUK posted:

Just noticed your excellent avatar. I barely saw the programme but I spent hour upon hour in the Spectrum game as a kid.

I think most (?) of it is on youtube. I watched a load last week. It gets dark in places :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1feYxwwn0eM

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

University of Salford in partnership with other universities are doing a survey on the impact of coronavirus on mental health / quality of life.

https://beta.salford.ac.uk/news/new-survey-examine-impact-coronavirus-mental-health

They hosed up their survey design with mandatory responses to conditional questions, so I don't know how valid their data is going to be.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

They hosed up their survey design with mandatory responses to conditional questions, so I don't know how valid their data is going to be.

Yes I noticed that here and there (I didn't do the survey til after I posted the link). I find that so often with surveys though trying to force this/that answers in some cases where most of my answers to anything are 'it depends' (on the full situation being faced). I think every question in any survey should come with a 'none of the above' or 'other' box.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t think Branson has owned Virgin Media for quite a while? Or maybe I’m imagining that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Virgin Media

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

crispix posted:

I think most (?) of it is on youtube. I watched a load last week. It gets dark in places :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1feYxwwn0eM

Its got a banging theme tune too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wandkZSmpE

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Not to respark air chat. But when thinking about global industrial travel, one idea I had was swapping VAT for a tax based on miles travelled. Want to make something all in the UK great stuff have basically no VAT to pay, want to ship your chickens to China to be prepared and shipped back to sell? Get hosed massive tax.

Tell me why this idea is dumb.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The real problem there is that the taxes would go to line people's pockets rather than to address or offset climate change

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the lockdown seems to be weakening more each day in my city. roads and streets gradually filling up again. where are they all going, there are no shops or pubs or anything open anywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Insert that bit from dawn of the dead about "they don't know what they're doing, they just know they want to be here"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
No idea what was going on with virgin atlantic lately, but I flew them first class like 2006 to jfk from london that someone else paid, and we both agreed it had been a waste of money and the staff and crew tried too hard being edgy, we returned in an american airlines coach flight and to this day I still don't know what was so amazing about virgin atlantic

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Celexi posted:

the staff and crew tried too hard being edgy
This flight's in-flight movie is tribute.avi *lights a cigarette and heelies out of coach backwards*

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Celexi posted:

No idea what was going on with virgin atlantic lately, but I flew them first class like 2006 to jfk from london that someone else paid, and we both agreed it had been a waste of money and the staff and crew tried too hard being edgy, we returned in an american airlines coach flight and to this day I still don't know what was so amazing about virgin atlantic

It's still only worth it if someone else is paying, but seats that recline all the way down to totally a flat is the only real game-changing thing about flying first class. Everything else is just whatever.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's still only worth it if someone else is paying, but seats that recline all the way down to totally a flat is the only real game-changing thing about flying first class. Everything else is just whatever.

That probably would have made sense on the return trip, as on way there was entirely during daytime and didn't want to sleep so I could just fall asleep after arriving.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Not to respark air chat. But when thinking about global industrial travel, one idea I had was swapping VAT for a tax based on miles travelled. Want to make something all in the UK great stuff have basically no VAT to pay, want to ship your chickens to China to be prepared and shipped back to sell? Get hosed massive tax.

Tell me why this idea is dumb.

Long haul flights are more efficient per mile travelled so you want to do something to stop frequent short haul flights rather than singular long distance travel. Miles travelled also doesn't take into account how its travelled - if it's all going to cost the same to get it here from China then environmentally worse but quicker or otherwise cheaper options become more popular. Supply chains are also a huge mess of lies so prepare for a large amount of rice and tropical fruits to suddenly start being claimed to be grown in Ireland and other absurdities.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Without wanting to reignite the crazy air travel argument from yesterday. The now bust flybe flights I used to take to glasgow were ridiculous.

I am a normal height/weight guy and I barely fit in the seat. I remember one year all these guys from a rugby team were near me. The guy in the window seat was attempting to sit normally.

The guy in the middle seat had his legs bent and knees pointed towards the aisle in the space that the aisle guys legs should have been. The aisle guy had to sit with his entire body facing towards the aisle with his legs in the aisle.

Obviously those guys were abnormally big but it's still crazy even for a 45 min flight.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This will be useful

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, this is super shady:

https://twitter.com/cori_crider/status/1254745523329863681?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/inzyrashid/status/1254846651472150529?s=19
https://twitter.com/inzyrashid/status/1254847842113511424?s=19

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes it's a pain. My tinfoil hat theory is that by the time you reach your 40s say you have done a handful of temporary jobs squashed in between uni vacations or between 'proper jobs' that you will trip up, forget to mention one, and then they have an excuse to fire you at any time for lying. I mean I completely forgot until a couple of weeks ago that I took 3 weeks vacation once when I had some outstanding, and went temping as a typist in a surveyor's office instead of holidaying on a beach somewhere.
Also, I think it is supposed to show some kind of 'diligence' and 'conformity' to societal norms regarding life paths.

So the CEO my work who has final say on all technical hires is really big on this, not to try and trip you up later but to see if you're actually reliable. If you have lots of jobs with short stays or random gaps in your employment history then he wants to know why. We had a great candidate in who had a 3 month gap because he broke up with his girlfriend, quit his job and when backpacking*. It can be unfair but that's why is asks.

*He did end up getting the job because he said it was unlikely he'd do it again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Long haul flights are more efficient per mile travelled so you want to do something to stop frequent short haul flights rather than singular long distance travel. Miles travelled also doesn't take into account how its travelled - if it's all going to cost the same to get it here from China then environmentally worse but quicker or otherwise cheaper options become more popular. Supply chains are also a huge mess of lies so prepare for a large amount of rice and tropical fruits to suddenly start being claimed to be grown in Ireland and other absurdities.
You could grow oranges in the horse solaria.

https://twitter.com/BWhytelaw/status/1237067293605220354

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Also it's called Palantír ffs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Without wanting to reignite the crazy air travel argument from yesterday. The now bust flybe flights I used to take to glasgow were ridiculous.

I am a normal height/weight guy and I barely fit in the seat. I remember one year all these guys from a rugby team were near me. The guy in the window seat was attempting to sit normally.

The guy in the middle seat had his legs bent and knees pointed towards the aisle in the space that the aisle guys legs should have been. The aisle guy had to sit with his entire body facing towards the aisle with his legs in the aisle.

Obviously those guys were abnormally big but it's still crazy even for a 45 min flight.

Fun fact - you have more legroom on the top deck of a London bus than you do on an Easyjet flight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sinky posted:

This will be useful

I'm keeping this one to hand

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The only possible overlap of electrical systems engineering and spinal surgery I can see is that you're planning to build the Matrix. Don't build the Matrix

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao at this story they just let some anonymous person watch the whole zoom meeting instead of banning them

https://twitter.com/mowords/status/1255051858579795970?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

The only possible overlap of electrical systems engineering and spinal surgery I can see is that you're planning to build the Matrix. Don't build the Matrix

Build the matrix but program communism into it.