Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

boar guy posted:

looks incredibly staged, though
That or those dudes have some of the chillest "aah!"s in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Memento posted:

Welp, weather's turnin' nasty, best get these old folks back to tha home. Wassat little lady? Yep I reckon there's room on the back there, jump on up.

https://i.imgur.com/2SbBREa.mp4

I don't see what's wrong with this. Just someone hauling a trailer load of elderberries.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

For us allergy havers, is this OSHA enough

https://i.imgur.com/BZbfd21.mp4

(source)

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

C.M. Kruger posted:

One of the guys from Forgotten Weapons got their hands on that Spetsnaz "shoot your own leg" holster I posted a while back, it doesn't seem to offer much advantage for the added danger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19HCOO6GCI

This is a cool design that replaces one risk with another. If the weapon is holstered safely, there should not be an issue with having a chambered round. The idea of this, is to eliminate the relatively slow process of racking the slide manually on draw. However, the holster doesn't make sense if the operator must call on the weapon while in a sitting position, possibly leaving them at a response disadvantage.

The Youtube comments called out the logical reason for this design--compatibility with laws and policy requiring the weapon to have a clear chamber.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pacra posted:

For us allergy havers, is this OSHA enough

POLLEN!

(source)

I went into anaphylactic shock watching that.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

grillster posted:

The Youtube comments called out the logical reason for this design--compatibility with laws and policy requiring the weapon to have a clear chamber.

A perfect example of a regulation that is supposed to be for safety that actually creates a less safe situation.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Seems like it would be faster if you put it on sideways, with the gun pointing forward. Bonus OSHA for muzzlesweeping everyone you face.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Nothing like the subtle intimidating of having a gun pointed at the groin during casual face to face conversation.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If you the gun goes off in the holster and hits someone, is that negative draw time?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Only if it goes off on its own

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Condition three!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

grillster posted:

This is a cool design that replaces one risk with another. If the weapon is holstered safely, there should not be an issue with having a chambered round. The idea of this, is to eliminate the relatively slow process of racking the slide manually on draw. However, the holster doesn't make sense if the operator must call on the weapon while in a sitting position, possibly leaving them at a response disadvantage.

Someone could also really easily disarm you of the pistol with this thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's been exactly one instance where Condition Three carry has been justified: Israel did (not sure if they still do) because their army was equipped with a random hodgepodge of guns that they could acquire from any source imaginable, so they mandated it because it would be impossible to train everyone on handling the safety of every pistol and remembering which one you're carrying at all times. Mandating it otherwise is trying to replace proper training with worse equipment or worse deployment in the hope that it makes accidents harder.

The NYPD does something similar. The cops are so notoriously bad at not shooting themselves and other people (I've read accounts from the 50s and 60s of them just playing with loaded guns) that all NYPD sidearms have an 11-pound trigger that's almost impossible to squeeze by accident. It also makes the gun really hard to shoot accurately, so when they do fire they tend to spray bullets at random in an urban area and hit bystanders.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

Someone could also really easily disarm you of the pistol with this thing.

drat, good point. Someone could come up from behind and have a reasonable shot at taking it with a fast downward motion, then they've got the loaded safety-off firearm.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I showed that to my dad who has huge allergies and it basically Room 101'd him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Proteus Jones posted:

So did I and I don't have any allergies

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

The NYPD does something similar. The cops are so notoriously bad at not shooting themselves and other people (I've read accounts from the 50s and 60s of them just playing with loaded guns) that all NYPD sidearms have an 11-pound trigger that's almost impossible to squeeze by accident. It also makes the gun really hard to shoot accurately, so when they do fire they tend to spray bullets at random in an urban area and hit bystanders.

There was an active shooter at the Empire State Building in 2012, where the shooter shot one person and the NYPD shot nine. It was insane.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was an active shooter at the Empire State Building in 2012, where the shooter shot one person and the NYPD shot nine. It was insane.

It wasn't even an "active shooter." It was a guy who ambushed his former coworker and killed him after being laid off, then walked away. When the two cops confronted him, he didn't even get a single shot off.

The NYPD specifically shot 3 bystanders directly with 16 rounds (so an average of 4 rounds per person hit), while the other 6 took fragmentation or ricochet injuries. There's security camera footage and the cops are less than 10 yards away from him.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

chitoryu12 posted:

It wasn't even an "active shooter." It was a guy who ambushed his former coworker and killed him after being laid off, then walked away. When the two cops confronted him, he didn't even get a single shot off.

The NYPD specifically shot 3 bystanders directly with 16 rounds (so an average of 4 rounds per person hit), while the other 6 took fragmentation or ricochet injuries. There's security camera footage and the cops are less than 10 yards away from him.

Let me guess: he was charged with 10 counts of murder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zopotantor posted:

He died. The NYPD did charge a mentally disturbed man with assault with a deadly weapon a few years later when he began jumping through traffic with his hand in his pocket and a cop panicked and started shooting, accidentally hitting two people on the sidewalk instead.

If I remember correctly, the charges didn't go forward but he ended up in jail anyway for actually murdering someone years later.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

I forget, but the story is pretty sad. New guy comes into management and is convinced the man is dead weight after working there forever, proceeds to hound him out of work, IIRC. Doesn't excuse shooting him, but drat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

I forget, but the story is pretty sad. New guy comes into management and is convinced the man is dead weight after working there forever, proceeds to hound him out of work, IIRC. Doesn't excuse shooting him, but drat.

quote:

Steven Ercolino, a 41-year-old salesman, was identified by police as the slain victim. He lived with his girlfriend in Union City, New Jersey and was a vice president at Hazan Imports. He was a 1992 graduate of the State University of New York at Oneonta. Ercolino's brother, Paul, said that Steven never mentioned having any problems with a co-worker and described him, along with others that knew him, as a gregarious, outgoing family man.

Ercolino and Johnson had filed harassment complaints against each other and Johnson had reportedly threatened to kill Ercolino before. There were disputes between the two due to Ercolino not promoting Johnson's T-shirt line. One incident that was reported to the police happened inside an elevator, when Johnson threw his elbow at Ercolino, who responded by grabbing Johnson's throat and threatening him. In another incident, in April 2011, Johnson reportedly told Ercolino "I'm going to kill you" while on the elevator. Despite Johnson being laid off in 2011, he visited the company on a regular basis afterwards and reportedly had confrontations with Ercolino each time.

Shockingly, the man who abruptly murdered a coworker in broad daylight turned out to be a crazy guy who threatened to kill his coworker multiple times!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Shockingly, the man who abruptly murdered a coworker in broad daylight turned out to be a crazy guy who threatened to kill his coworker multiple times!

There we go. I just remembered the initial reporting.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
I have a feeling the antivax crowd will be misrepresenting this pretty hardcore over the next few years: A cattle worker accidentally injected his finger with the cow rotavirus/coronavirus/e. coli vaccine, ended up losing a finger :( Analogous to Hydraulic Injection Injury, one of my least favourite image search terms.

https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1476-069X-4-21

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I rotated the image so he was horizontal just to check...it does indeed seem like he's hanging off a wall...how the gently caress is he doing this with sandals? I've got so many questions.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

I rotated the image so he was horizontal just to check...it does indeed seem like he's hanging off a wall...how the gently caress is he doing this with sandals? I've got so many questions.

John Sherman is a pioneer of bouldering and an all around absolute mad lad.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's okay, those are climbing flip-flops.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

Ok I looked it up, there's a bolt under him he's attached to, and his climbing shoes are on his belt. So he got up there switched out too flip flops and took the photo. Mystery solved. Still awesome.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah no one's actually getting up there without appropriate footwear.

Also, it was taken in the Grampian Mountains in Victoria, Australia. Sorry to say it but those are thongs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Memento posted:

Also, it was taken in the Grampian Mountains in Victoria, Australia. Sorry to say it but those are thongs.

But enough about the man's underwear,

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

We used to call them thongs in the states but it got too confusing with thong underwear so now everyone says flipflops. What do australians call thong underwear?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We call them g-strings here

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

grillster posted:

drat, good point. Someone could come up from behind and have a reasonable shot at taking it with a fast downward motion, then they've got the loaded safety-off firearm.

You don't even have to be that fast. A complaint against holsters outside your pants is that if someone goes to grab the gun the reaction is to hold it downward into the holster. If the thief then pushes down with you they can break the holster and then they have control of the gun (and what's left of the holster).

This thing skips right to the end.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Memento posted:

Yeah he literally wrote the book on bouldering.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ok I looked it up, there's a bolt under him he's attached to, and his climbing shoes are on his belt. So he got up there switched out too flip flops and took the photo. Mystery solved. Still awesome.

Who the hell took the photo?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Cat Hatter posted:

You don't even have to be that fast. A complaint against holsters outside your pants is that if someone goes to grab the gun the reaction is to hold it downward into the holster. If the thief then pushes down with you they can break the holster and then they have control of the gun (and what's left of the holster).

This thing skips right to the end.

If the thief presses down with a crowbar, perhaps.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

PainterofCrap posted:

Someone's probably sitting on an arete or a ledge that's out of view.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Memento posted:

We call them g-strings here

What do you call the third smallest string on a guitar?