Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

It really feels like someone lost interest with these things halfway through development and they need to empty inventory now.
Google? Product development ADHD?

Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a feeling they were probably trying to tweak the software to get more battery life out of them and may have just thrown in the towel and release as is. That and what I have to assume production issues due to COVID.

Google ADHD is also very possible.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would highly recommend the Liberty 2 Pros over those, tbh

Most of the buds by Anker are a better option than the headline products. My Soundcore Life P2's are perfect for the outdoors and exercise, they come with an IPX7 rating despite only costing $60.

The Pixel Buds 2 seem to suffer from the Google problem of focusing on gimmicks instead of quality, Everything about them is sub-par, but you do get a hands free google-assistant. :rolleyes:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Buds, if they work as advertised (lol), look like they would be my favorite except for the price.

I loving hate having to fiddle with anything, when stuff doesn't work correctly the first try every time, and when things should obviously work one way but they don't. If they pair instantly, Google Assistant works flawlessly, and all the other "gimmicks" that aren't really gimmicks but are actual quality of life improvements, then they seem great.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A few weeks ago I bought (from Amazon) and installed a "diaper sprayer" as a bidet attachment, and it included a free gift in the form of a card with a QR code. I scanned it and basically am being sent BlueTooth Earphones for free+$7 shipping from Singapore.

Guess I'll post a trip report when they arrive!

EDIT: Forgot a pic of them:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 27, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't get why instant pairing is such a big deal to some people - you only have to do it once and even worst case it takes like 20 seconds.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Am I the only person who finds earbuds to be largely uncomfortable? I've tried different tips and stabilizer things, and they still always either eventually slip out of are too big to fit into my ears. Would be nice to get a decent wireless over ears pair of headphones.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
As an actual buyer/user of the 1st Gen, the issue is 100% with Google's non-existent positioning.

It should front and center be marketed as a discrete category of Assistant device alongside the speakers, smart displays, clocks etc - least of all because that's literally what they are and how they're implemented in Google Settings/Assistant.

The Spoken Notifications functionality (auto-read of certain notification types, audio summary and read out of new notfications), low latency Assistant mic and hotwording should be the main messaging, not buried randomly.

"Google Pixel branded version of the wireless earbuds concept you've already seen for months now" pitch they've gone with while technically true, doesn't really capture the actual experience of usage of the product which is "Wearable Google Home/Nest Speaker".

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would highly recommend the Liberty 2 Pros over those, tbh

Purely from a wireless headphone value stand point, Liberty/Samsungs etc are better value due to battery life. From the Assistant device standpoint, they're 100% worse (no audio Notification functionality + bluetooth voice activation/response is terrible compared to built-in Assistant headphones like the Pixel buds). The loss wasn't as painful as the trials and tribulations of dealing with the Pixel buds 1 case + cord, which is ultimately why I switched away. I'll be switching right back to Pixel Buds 2 whenever Google's supply chain is able to target outside the US (given they've only managed 1/4 of their planned models, will take a while).

I guess the lesson here is don't try Google Assistant built-in headphones, you might like them and then you're locked into being Google'd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Would be nice to get a decent wireless over ears pair of headphones.

WH-1000XM3 exist. Because they exist, I see little reason for anything else in the category to exist as they are perfect.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Am I the only person who finds earbuds to be largely uncomfortable? I've tried different tips and stabilizer things, and they still always either eventually slip out of are too big to fit into my ears. Would be nice to get a decent wireless over ears pair of headphones.

I got a pair of an older version of these.

Plantronics BackBeat FIT 2100 Wireless Headphones, Sweatproof and Waterproof in Ear Workout Headphones, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTTPVGG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_gx0PEbCVEN6NH

They don't go into the ear, just kinda sit outside pointed inside. You may find them more comfortable. Note, they do not block outside noise, which I consider a plus cause I wear them outside when working out and like the spacial awareness.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is WearOS usually this annoying to pair with another device? Holy poo poo. Why do I have to reformat the entire watch just to put it on another device???

Anyway, P4XL is cool beans.

FAUXTON posted:

I've noticed it often clears up with a carrier switch (FINEXT dialer code) though I couldn't tell you which one if any causes it. This also is an issue for the P4 non-XL as Dr. FAUXTON sees it happen on her phone too. The particular circumstances in which it commonly happens for us seem to point a finger at the handoff between carriers or maybe even between towers.

Yeah, it sounds like an issue with carriers or towers. I found the dialer code which seems to make it work but only if you don't restart the phone. :v:

The dialer is ‎*#*#34963#*#*

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 27, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is WearOS usually this annoying to pair with another device? Holy poo poo. Why do I have to reformat the entire watch just to put it on another device???

Yes, it's one of my biggest complaints about WearOS. I mean, I have to factory reset my Galaxy Watch Active to switch devices too, but you can at least backup your device ahead of time and the whole pairing/restore process takes under 10 minutes rather than the horrible process for WearOS that takes 5 years to pair and then another decade to update all the internal apps and then run through the goddamn tutorial again. Then, after all of that, you have to setup your preferences again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

WH-1000XM3 exist. Because they exist, I see little reason for anything else in the category to exist as they are perfect.

While I definitely think they're the best overall headphones on the market there are still some improvements to be made.

Most important is the control scheme - even after using my set since launch I still skip tracks when trying to adjust the volume. Microphone quality isn't fantastic, especially in windy conditions. Also build quality could be improved, they get creaky after a year of heavy use.

e. they can also only connect to one device at a time whereas my old headphones could happily connect to both my phone and laptop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

As an actual buyer/user of the 1st Gen, the issue is 100% with Google's non-existent positioning.

It should front and center be marketed as a discrete category of Assistant device alongside the speakers, smart displays, clocks etc - least of all because that's literally what they are and how they're implemented in Google Settings/Assistant.

The Spoken Notifications functionality (auto-read of certain notification types, audio summary and read out of new notfications), low latency Assistant mic and hotwording should be the main messaging, not buried randomly.

"Google Pixel branded version of the wireless earbuds concept you've already seen for months now" pitch they've gone with while technically true, doesn't really capture the actual experience of usage of the product which is "Wearable Google Home/Nest Speaker".

Purely from a wireless headphone value stand point, Liberty/Samsungs etc are better value due to battery life. From the Assistant device standpoint, they're 100% worse (no audio Notification functionality + bluetooth voice activation/response is terrible compared to built-in Assistant headphones like the Pixel buds). The loss wasn't as painful as the trials and tribulations of dealing with the Pixel buds 1 case + cord, which is ultimately why I switched away. I'll be switching right back to Pixel Buds 2 whenever Google's supply chain is able to target outside the US (given they've only managed 1/4 of their planned models, will take a while).

I guess the lesson here is don't try Google Assistant built-in headphones, you might like them and then you're locked into being Google'd.

As someone who's read all the info about these...I 100% agree.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bull3964 posted:

Extremely seconding this. I loved the Libertys that often get recommended here but my weird ears wouldn't accommodate them for whatever reason. They frequently go on sale for ~$180 or so too, obsoleting the Pixel Buds I'd say

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my thing is I already have 500 devices that wake up when I say the "Hey Google" hotword, so having buds do that doesn't add a tone of utility.

I mean, they might if I actually went anywhere, but even before all this happened I worked from home so I wasn't exactly out and about a ton.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yes, it's one of my biggest complaints about WearOS. I mean, I have to factory reset my Galaxy Watch Active to switch devices too, but you can at least backup your device ahead of time and the whole pairing/restore process takes under 10 minutes rather than the horrible process for WearOS that takes 5 years to pair and then another decade to update all the internal apps and then run through the goddamn tutorial again. Then, after all of that, you have to setup your preferences again.

Wait, what? You can back up the watch stuff? Is that a Galaxy Watch only thing? I've got a Fossil Sport 4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, what? You can back up the watch stuff? Is that a Galaxy Watch only thing? I've got a Fossil Sport 4.

Yeah, Galaxy Watch only stuff. It's part of Samsung cloud.

I'm generally a big Samsung critic, but they nailed their wearables. They work well, have long battery life, and are generally easy to navigate than Wear.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just want some wireless earbuds that are good for conference calls at work and don't pick up all the background noise existing on planet Earth at a given moment

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, my thing is I already have 500 devices that wake up when I say the "Hey Google" hotword, so having buds do that doesn't add a tone of utility.

I actually found the Pixel Buds 1 invaluable in dealing with the 500 hotword devices situation as the touch activation/low latency mic was a way to unambiguously send commands directly to the Phone assistant as long as the buds were in range. Functionally it was pretty much a wireless "Squeeze for assistant"* and is one of the things I miss from having them on full time.

quote:

I mean, they might if I actually went anywhere, but even before all this happened I worked from home so I wasn't exactly out and about a ton.

Even around the house I found the "audio smartwatch" functionality useful, since that format is much more conductive to multitasking compared to a smartwatch which still requires your entire undivided attention (just less of it compared to a phone).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm the same way and eventually found bone-conducting headsets. Sits over the ear, doesn't block outside sound (pro or con depending on your intended usage), good sized battery, and can be combined with foam earplugs for usage on airplanes. They are pricier than ordinary earbuds though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

isndl posted:

I'm the same way and eventually found bone-conducting headsets. Sits over the ear, doesn't block outside sound (pro or con depending on your intended usage), good sized battery, and can be combined with foam earplugs for usage on airplanes. They are pricier than ordinary earbuds though.

Huh. I wonder if that works in an industrial setting...

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

isndl posted:

Got any specific recommendations?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

You don't, but that's the easy way.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm over the moon that my buds+ flip between my galaxy watch and phone with no effort. My previous buds had to be paired every time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Branch Nvidian posted:

Got any specific recommendations?

I'm using the Aftershokz Trekz Titanium, but they have a newer model now I believe. Haven't tried any competitor models so I can't offer any comparisons, but the Trekz was good enough for Costco to be willing to carry them.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
what the hell, you have to reset a wearos device to pair it with a new device? lmao

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You can buy the new Pixel Buds for $125.30 if you live in an area with US Cellular and have the coupon code ACCESSORY30.

Though, I don't know if anyone actually wants them here but...yeah. lol

For me, it drops it down to $132.19 with tax.

I'm debating since I might want them eventually, to be honest.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

The person doing the video review of these for the verge agrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMKgWMO3fu8

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

The person doing the video review of these for the verge agrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMKgWMO3fu8

Ok maybe I won't buy them. haha

Anyway, is there a headphone thread? Mine are now dying on my PC and I need to replace them as I don't think I can send them to NYC to be fixed. :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah I'll wait for the next revision of the Pixel Buds before taking a look at them. That battery life is...not good. Seems like everyone who's reviewed them has mentioned it too so it's not a one-off thing.

Everything else sounds real good though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I'll wait for the next revision of the Pixel Buds before taking a look at them. That battery life is...not good. Seems like everyone who's reviewed them has mentioned it too so it's not a one-off thing.

Everything else sounds real good though.
Five hours seems like a long time to be wearing earbuds.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I have some cheap Anker ones with a charging case and yeah, 5 hours is better than it might seem. If you take a 15 minute break from listening every couple hours and put them in the case, you can basically never run out of power in a day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

It decreases their overall life since tiny batteries like this really aren't great about keeping their full capacity for very long and having to have more charge cycles anyways due to the smaller size just exasperates the issue.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

butt dickus posted:

If the alternative is listening to local radio at work, I choose death instead.
8+ hour playback or bust.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mister Facetious posted:

If the alternative is listening to local radio at work, I choose death instead.
8+ hour playback or bust.
You listen to music for 8 consecutive hours every day? I know I'm not a music fan but that seems pretty extreme to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

You listen to music for 8 consecutive hours every day? I know I'm not a music fan but that seems pretty extreme to me.

So, now the whole face unlock thing not working makes absolute sense.

What we have here is a lizard alien man in human skin.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

When working in the office I'd do 8 hours of music (or podcasts) in a normal working day - an hour each way on the commute then six hours while at my desk sounds about right.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never worn earbuds for that long in a row in my life, and don't see any scenario where I would. So 5h would be enough for me. I just don't want to buy 1st gen google hardware anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

butt dickus posted:

I'm still using wired earphones at work but I'm music all day more or less. During car commute, almost entirety of work day, car commute home, on speakers when lifting, headphones until bed while on computer.

Pretty much the same working from home but on stereo instead of earphones :shrug: