Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Nerds posted:

So player A wants to perform an action on player B, but is roleblocked. If a watcher is watching player A, will the result be that they visited player B or that they visited nobody?

if this makes it easier, think about it in terms of action *resolution* rather than "targetting". none of the results from a watcher/tracker directly involve who a player actually chose to target. they inform about who the player's action resolved on.

therefore, if a player's action didn't resolve for any reason, they "visited" no one. and if the player's action resolved on a different person than they chose, the tracker/watcher will *always* inform about where the action ACTUALLY applied

edit: and to reiterate answers to your last question, in the case where the tracker/watcher ability resolves differently than the player chose, that is not reflected in their results at all. they merely receive results based on the player their ability resolved on

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I had the perfect idea for a mafia setup when I was blasted af and I forgot what it was

I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want it to be swooped from me

I probably should have told someone or, you know, written it down :v:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, a tracker/watcher would still see a scum visit an attempted kill who was docced, even tho the killing action didnt strictly resolve..... other than failed kills, what i said is correct

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the action does resolve; the result of success or failure is independent from the action of attempting to kill someone

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Monathin posted:

Do you mean tracker? A Tracker would see that Player A visited no one, since they've been roleblocked. A Watcher would see that Player A was in fact visited by Players C and D, meaning either of them could be the person who roleblocked Player A.

Mr. Steak posted:

if this makes it easier, think about it in terms of action *resolution* rather than "targetting". none of the results from a watcher/tracker directly involve who a player actually chose to target. they inform about who the player's action resolved on.

therefore, if a player's action didn't resolve for any reason, they "visited" no one. and if the player's action resolved on a different person than they chose, the tracker/watcher will *always* inform about where the action ACTUALLY applied

edit: and to reiterate answers to your last question, in the case where the tracker/watcher ability resolves differently than the player chose, that is not reflected in their results at all. they merely receive results based on the player their ability resolved on

Ahh, you're both right. Thank you.

It's interesting learning how to run mafia from vets, yet running it for new people. For instance, townies are scared to even share the result of their night actions. I'm glad I made it a 3.5-1 ratio of good-bad people. The good people will stumble into a hit soon enough and then will start figuring everything out at a pace that competes with the bad people's strategy (I did everything randomly, but 3/4 bad people turned out to be insanely good players)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidthulhu posted:

I had the perfect idea for a mafia setup when I was blasted af and I forgot what it was

I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want it to be swooped from me

I probably should have told someone or, you know, written it down :v:

Get blasted again. You forgot, but Blasted Quid will know what to do.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Retro Futurist posted:

Get blasted again. You forgot, but Blasted Quid will know what to do.

Pawn his gun, throw a shoe through a window, do horrendous karaoke?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

So player A wants to perform an action on player B, but is roleblocked. If a watcher is watching player A, will the result be that they visited player B or that they visited nobody?

The answers that have been given (that roleblocking prevents the action from taking place at all, ergo the roleblocked person goes nowhere) are correct as a default.

However, perhaps equally important IMO is the fact that role interactions can work however the mod wants, but that it's important to think about these things in advance and word your PMs as precisely as possible in order to avoid ambiguity. If you don't, then players will assume that they work in an off-the-shelf way and be upset if they don't.

You're also likely to end up with unintended consequences or paradoxes in your setups if you just throw roles in without thinking carefully about the interactions and then try to rely on external rules and conventions to resolve those issues when they come up. Good modding involves extensive planning and consideration.

Anyway, all that to say that you could just as easily decide up front that in a given setup, roleblocking still allows the targeting to happen but causes actions to fail. If you were going to do that, though, you'd want to word either the Tracker role or the Roleblocker role in order to indicate that this is the way it's going to work. Or both.

E.g. "Roleblocker: You can choose one player per night to target. Their action will have no effect, although they still visit their target." and/or "Tracker: You can choose one player per night to target. You will be told whether they attempted to target anyone and, if so, who."

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any games close to starting?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Ecco game and xopods game both recruiting, but they are both on the larger side. DMBoogie's dark souls game as well.
I have a mini ready to go, but want those two to kick off before I launch it.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I have a 15 player setup I’m working on the flavor for, but waiting for some of these games to fill/wind down first.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's literally never gonna be space to run my game, will there

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Just open it.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Humalong posted:

Just open it.

im not done designing it yet lol

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Just open it.

Yeah if you wanna run a game just run it. I'm going to open a 23 player role madness game with a location/fighting over an item mechanic directly after I'm done running bastard mafia.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a sequel 13 player game ready to go when mine closes but it's a surprise don't tell anyone

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I too am working on a game and I will launch it someday soon, without further warning! Ah ah ah!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Screw y'all, Spoonsy and I have The Good Place Mafia ready to launch

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Re-institute the queue.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Post them all and let the players choose

The way Lumpen would want it if he were here, rest in pieces

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grandicap posted:

Re-institute the queue.

Mafia has been resurrected like the majestic Phoenix!

Or... is it some type of bloated corpse ambling about?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm tempted to launch n64 mafia since Madoka is too big for me to run with a non-mafia game taking my attention

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Umineko part two is just about ready folks.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I just found out that at least one person was confused by the fact that Karens shows up as "running" in Votefinder and thought they'd missed their chance to play. That's not the case. It's at 10/17 signups so far and still open. I just hit the "start game" button in Votefinder because I'm a moron Luddite and now I'm not sure if I close the game whether I'd be able to reopen it.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Mr. Humalong posted:

Fair enough

Join The Good Place!!

Have quite a few vets that have pre-signed up

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Humalong posted:

what happened to lumpen?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

xopods posted:

I just found out that at least one person was confused by the fact that Karens shows up as "running" in Votefinder and thought they'd missed their chance to play. That's not the case. It's at 10/17 signups so far and still open. I just hit the "start game" button in Votefinder because I'm a moron Luddite and now I'm not sure if I close the game whether I'd be able to reopen it.

Just leave it open, it’s fine.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

what happened to lumpen?

Poor ol' Lumpen, thought of lunches and died

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Mr. Steak posted:

what happened to lumpen?

He was denied health care for a pre-existing condition. They say as he gasped his last breath a single tear ran down his cheek and a thin smile worked its way across his face. His last words were, “Charge them to attend my funeral and make them all create an organized list of memories we shared from best to worst. No minorit—“

Truly the end of a legend.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He died as he lived. Terribly.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I need a sub for Animal Crossing mafia. You will be a cool mason with Bif and it's still on D1, and you only have to vote between 4 people! Please help out! Thanks!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I need a sub for Animal Crossing mafia. You will be a cool mason with Bif and it's still on D1, and you only have to vote between 4 people! Please help out! Thanks!

hell yeah

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

sweet thanks! will message you!

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!

xopods posted:

Thank you for mentioning this because you directly inspired the below post and feature. :)

Hello everyone. I am once again dropping in to talk about Votefinder as a new feature has been added in and will be going live later today. Moving forward, when you add a game to Votefinder, it will start in a "pregame" state. An example of what that will look like:

The idea is that you can add the game to Votefinder and take advantage of the game management stuff before actually starting the game. It also offers another way for people who are looking for a game to easily see what games are open but haven't started yet. The game page also provides more prompts, so it's completely clear what's going on:

When you're ready to start the game, there's a new functionality in the moderator panel to start the game. A new feature available is offering N0 starts for mods who are running games with a N0.

I do want to stress that the feature is optional! There's a checkbox on the add game page for adding games where signups are done, and this will kick the game directly into an already-started Day 1 (which is what Votefinder used to do for every game). If you don't want to use the pregame functionality, just check the checkbox before adding a game and it'll work like you're used to it working.

On a personal note I am feeling a lot better about Code Stuff recently so I'm hoping that this is the first of a few planned features to come in the upcoming months. Some of the things that are on my radar include more robust moderation tools and also some built-in spectator and player functions within Votefinder. In general my design goals are coalescing around streamlining the Moderator Experience and, when features are added, reducing friction as much as possible. If there are things that you'd like to see in Votefinder or if you're interested in seeing what might be on the roadmap, please do feel free to open issues on the Github repository, and as always if you're interested in contributing code to the project please hit me up and we can chat!

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're the MVP alli

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

You're the MVP alli

Yeah, that feature looks great. Thanks so much.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Thank you Alli!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

You're the MVP alli

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

been thinking lately about how steve is one of the few shortened names that seems more suited to an old guy than a young person. Like it would be weird to call a teenager steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Jump King posted:

been thinking lately about how steve is one of the few shortened names that seems more suited to an old guy than a young person. Like it would be weird to call a teenager steve

Steve is DJ's boyfriend on Full House, and he was a super rad teenage. Check and mate.