Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

One million unemployment claims in a week in a state with an estimated 7.6mil people

https://twitter.com/ESDwaWorks/status/1254859131166404609

there are only like 4m in the labor pool in washington hmbol

i wonder if it is worse there because of gig economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

we have never been more capable of extirpating reservoirs and never more unwilling lmao

cats are like sacred animals in the US
if they do start mass murder of cats we're gonna see a dramatic increase in city shitbird populations lmao

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lmao if my rats get sick

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
maybe you should not have a critical backend system running on a cavern of COBOL

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

snoo posted:

people just be going out to go out lmao no one loving cares anymore

honestly america is doing this so dumb just gently caress everything and eliminate all lockdowns, its a fairy tale to think this is going to kill any fewer people than it possibly can over any period of time. 3/4 of the states are full of braindead chuds and the others have been so pillaged by capitalism and have an anemic at best healthcare infrastructre

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

i don't disagree with any of that but telling people to toss a mask on and have at it is counterproductive and theatrics over substance, if there's political capital to be spent it would have been better using it on food distribution or something lol

all the CDC equivalents in the sane countries are pro literally any mask

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shovelbum posted:

people are taking the slight loosening of restrictions to mean "go whole hog, the cops are on our side!" along party lines, they're packing into anything open like sardines in record numbers, its not like anything in history lmao

I had to make my weekly trip early today and the store was a ghost town lol, my gym announced it was opening on the 1st and then said actually they're thinking about it. Something like 80% of the country wants the quarantine to continue, it's popular and polling also shows most are hesitant about resuming old habits anytime soon

We aren't some unique breed of human, in my town of 80k there's probably 1k total people who are fired up to get back to normal because they're rentier class scum or brainwashed or economists, so they will pile into the first restaurant to open up because they're bored, but they are by no means the majority in most areas

If this wasn't the case we'd still be in exponential growth

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Nonsense posted:

The tiger/cats, and minks thing is really disconcerting. If it jumps to deer, much of North America is fuuuuuucked

then it would also be in ticks, making the joke suggestion of “corona with lyme disease” a realistic possibility

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

snoo posted:

lmao if my rats get sick

i had two rats die from that bacterial infection and i said gently caress that and got guinea pigs instead

but guinea pigs are the chuds of the rodent world and not cool like rats, i regret not getting more again

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i had two rats die from that bacterial infection and i said gently caress that and got guinea pigs instead

but guinea pigs are the chuds of the rodent world and not cool like rats, i regret not getting more again

whats wrong with guinea pigs, most of them arent cops, only g-force

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chris James 2 posted:

One million unemployment claims in a week in a state with an estimated 7.6mil people

https://twitter.com/ESDwaWorks/status/1254859131166404609

sounds fine op

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

twoday posted:

Yeah except this time instead of rats it will be cats as the secondary reservoir of potential mutation and infection.

I also read the other day that several minks have also tested positive, so it seems that COVID has a lot of potential for jumping species, which means we are potentially pretty hosed short term

ferrets are used as a sample species for human respiratory diseases because they're so similar to humans, and minks are closely related to ferrets, so get ready for all cats, minks, monkeys, and ferrets to be a permanent endemic reservoir!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

there are only like 4m in the labor pool in washington hmbol

i wonder if it is worse there because of gig economy

yeah its very likely the vast majority of the have-nots have lost their jobs entirely, but the softwarelords are mostly still employed... for now

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah, and fortunately the real world is clean enough you have a binary "YES/NO" infection status for the test to measure that doesn't ever react to anything else.

That's sarcasm. We don't know what factors influence the results of the test because we haven't had the opportunity to gather that much data.

gently caress, a lot of the tests came pre-contaminated with SARS2 and that happening to some but not all tests is... honestly expected.
Wtf are you talking about? We know, specifically, that most COVID-19 antibody tests are cross reactive with other coronaviruses. It says so in the manual for most of the tests! That's why the tests are validated and confidence intervals are published with the results.

No one is claiming that antibody tests are 100% accurate or that people don't make mistakes.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

shovelbum posted:

all the CDC equivalents in the sane countries are pro literally any mask

security theater has merit because it makes people feel like they have control

the cdc equivalents aren't your friend, they only look to protect private property/the elite like every government institution ever

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

shovelbum posted:

whats wrong with guinea pigs, most of them arent cops, only g-force

they're kind of dumb/not clever like rats and they poo poo everywhere constantly

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/schlijper/status/1253697668179791881?s=20

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twoday posted:

And now for the batshit crazy part, because rats were involved, the virulence of the disease often depended on the size of the rat population. I did not know this, but apparently it’s normal in nature that the sizes of certain animal populations fluctuate in a cyclical manner, and for instance there are tons of beavers or minks in nature one year, and a lot fewer 5 years later, and then a ton of them again 5 years after that, repeating in 10 year cycles. Why this happens is not entirely clear, and it’s a very complex process. One theory is that it has something to do with solar cycles, which are also about 10 years long, and have to do with the intensity of solar activity and the relative frequency of the appearance of sun spots. The intensity of this effect in a certain area dependent on its latitude, and various other factors. It seems that in the Netherlands, and in other places, plague outbreaks occurred more or less every 10 years, and it has been theorized that this might have been because there were more rats at certain times than others, and that this is related to the solar cycles. However, it was also theorized that the solar activity itself may have had some kind of direct impact on the bacteria and its virulence, or even that these cycles have a more universal impact on life in earth, and determine whether there is more or less of this bacteria, or that swarming insect, or the number of rats around. And fluctuations in solar activity also of course affect plants, and this has a knock-on effect to the species of animals which eat these plants, and so on through the entire food chain. I just started reading about this and I don’t really understand it that well yet.

One of the first examples in my linear algebra textbook is about this. The cyclical increase/decrease pattern in populations is inevitable if you have certain unstable systems, like a predator/prey system. As predators increase, prey go down until they can't anymore, then the predators dieoff, then the prey come back, etc. On a graph with both populations being an axis, it's such a cyclical system that the current data point tends to move in a literal circle over time. Rotation is the same as exponentiation in matrix algebra, so the problem is solved by multiplying in the same change matrix over and over onto the current population number matrix.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

they're kind of dumb/not clever like rats and they poo poo everywhere constantly

I had guineas as a teenager for about 8 years and I loved them but yes lol rats are much better. even with the whole "I can die from random tumors at any time!" poo poo

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

rats are so susceptible to respiratory illness in the first place

twoday
May 4, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

One of the first examples in my linear algebra textbook is about this. The cyclical increase/decrease pattern in populations is inevitable if you have certain unstable systems, like a predator/prey system. As predators increase, prey go down until they can't anymore, then the predators dieoff, then the prey come back, etc. On a graph with both populations being an axis, it's such a cyclical system that the current data point tends to move in a literal circle over time. Rotation is the same as exponentiation in matrix algebra, so the problem is solved by multiplying in the same change matrix over and over onto the current population number matrix.

it’s pretty interesting and here’s a cool paper about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5897639/

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I wouldn't call it a sham. Dutch defense isn't really used by grandmaster chess players sure but its pretty effective at the lower levels and grandmaster tactics happen in fads and trends anyway so you shouldn't base everything off them as a be all end all.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

its that people aren't trained, aren't used to wearing them, they're ineffective at filtering a virus out, and they're unhygienic

like do you think people are going home and sterilizing them with uv rays or steam too? or are they slapping them immediately back on and letting any ronis that did get captured by a fiber to then be inhaled later

like hell even n95 and beyond masks are just best practices, its not like they completely shut out anything lol its just the best chance you have when you're dealing with people that are exhaling and coughing up viruses left and right. like poo poo, man, do you think the Are Heroes in hospitals are dying to own the libs?

We encourage people to wear masks to limit how far roni blows out of their roni hole. It’s the polite thing to do. Not everyone is going to wash their hands properly, is encouraging hand washing hygiene theatrics too?

i don't disagree with any of that but telling people to toss a mask on and have at it is counterproductive and theatrics over substance, if there's political capital to be spent it would have been better using it on food distribution or something lol
We don’t have to pick one or the other we can have both but what we actually got was ignoring the food problem and a half assed PSA on how to make a mask out of a t-shirt. Political capital is for grifting only.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
My husband has surgery in a few weeks and we ain’t got a single N95 between us and all this mask talk is stressing me out tbh.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

like do you think people are going home and sterilizing them with uv rays or steam too? or are they slapping them immediately back on and letting any ronis that did get captured by a fiber to then be inhaled later

lmfao what the gently caress are you talking about?

we made a dozen masks and any time we go out and use them, they immediately go in the laundry. re-using it without washing it makes it pointless.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the source of china's new outbreak is the russian border because quelle surprise russia did almost no testing and denied the problem until it became way too big to ignore

uhhh the russia/china border is pretty sparsely populated right? how do they know this? wouldn't international flights be a bigger suspect even if it happens to be pooling near russia?

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

honestly america is doing this so dumb just gently caress everything and eliminate all lockdowns, its a fairy tale to think this is going to kill any fewer people than it possibly can over any period of time. 3/4 of the states are full of braindead chuds and the others have been so pillaged by capitalism and have an anemic at best healthcare infrastructre

on behalf of the immunocompromised community, how about NOT

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my covid organ is set to burst. gonna drop my pants, aim my arse outside the sliding door and let 'er rip.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
literally every time I try to call my parents to talk they're out at the store (together) without masks. my dad told me he would get arrested before anyone forced him to wear a mask.m

their power went out for four hours today so their first instinct was to go to the grocery store.

now both of them are short of breath and they're blaming it on pollen.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

literally every time I try to call my parents to talk they're out at the store (together) without masks. my dad told me he would get arrested before anyone forced him to wear a mask.m

their power went out for four hours today so their first instinct was to go to the grocery store.

This May is going to be incredibly depressing.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

i mean someone is forcing him using actual force, it's just not a human it's a virus, and the way it arrests you is cardiac

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stereotype posted:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

twoday posted:

it’s pretty interesting and here’s a cool paper about it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5897639/

you just said it was maybe the solar cycle lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Lpzie posted:

my covid organ is set to burst. gonna drop my pants, aim my arse outside the sliding door and let 'er rip.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Stereotype posted:

today we ended up connecting and I talked to my dad. it's his 65th birthday.

he picks up the phone and he's holding a literal switchblade. shows me how it shoots out and goes back in. "most of the ones you can get flick out so you have to make sure your hand is out of the way."

dad isn't that just a switchblade?

"I mean I guess but that's kind of a hokey word for it..."

it's cool it's legal because he's a retired fed.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao what the gently caress are you talking about?

we made a dozen masks and any time we go out and use them, they immediately go in the laundry. re-using it without washing it makes it pointless.

letting it sit for 3 days has the same effect on the roni as hardcore sterilization methods

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Bernie Panders posted:

letting it sit for 3 days has the same effect on the roni as hardcore sterilization methods

I have two small kids. we do so much laundry that it's a blip.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/OllyiConic/status/1254508877065981952?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-economy-forecast-trump-adviser-hassett-gdp-unemployment-coronavirus-depression-2020-4

quote:

The US is due to publish GDP figures for the first quarter on Wednesday. 

And May 8th we get the April unemployment numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

uggy posted:

you just said it was maybe the solar cycle lol

I said that I was repeating a theory I read in a book, which was proposed by some people (who are not me) as a possible explanation for the ten year frequency of the plague because solar cycles have been noted to impact rodent population levels. I also believe I described it as *checks notes* ...ah yes, “batshit crazy.”

They don’t seem to know, and neither do I, but there is some interesting evidence for it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19426078/
https://www.uqar.ca/uqar/recherche/unites_de_recherche/chaire_biodiversite_nordique/publications/msc_klvana_2002.pdf

twoday has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Apr 28, 2020