Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

delicious number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dumb Lowtax posted:

uhhh the russia/china border is pretty sparsely populated right? how do they know this? wouldn't international flights be a bigger suspect even if it happens to be pooling near russia?
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/china-border-russia-front-line-coronavirus-fight-200413064953795.html

quote:

A total of 108 new cases were reported in mainland China on Sunday, up from 99 a day earlier, marking the highest daily tally since March 5.

Imported cases accounted for a record 98 of those infections and half of those imported infections involved Chinese nationals returning from Russia's Far Eastern Federal District, home to the city of Vladivostok, who had re-entered China through border crossings in Heilongjiang province, according to authorities.

Meanwhile, the Chinese cities along the Russian frontier have been tightening border controls and imposing stricter quarantines in response to the threat.

The city of Suifenhe and the provincial capital of Heilongjiang, Harbin, are now mandating 28 days of quarantine as well as nucleic acid and antibody tests for all arrivals from abroad.

"Our little town here, we thought it was the safest place," a resident of the border city of Suifenhe, who only gave his surname as Zhu, told the Reuters news agency.

"Some Chinese citizens - they want to come back, but it's not very sensible, what are you doing coming here for?" he said.
there are a few checkpoints that have actual traffic

chinese officials were alerted to an illness matching coronavirus' symptoms among populations in provinces at the border

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

snoo posted:

people just be going out to go out lmao no one loving cares anymore

you have no idea how horny i am this week

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

lol don't just parrot stupid poo poo

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah it's gonna kill off the susceptible and then essentially turn into one of the other coronaviruses floating around

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

EVERYTHING IS CERTAIN YOU gently caress NUGGETS

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

literally every time I try to call my parents to talk they're out at the store (together) without masks. my dad told me he would get arrested before anyone forced him to wear a mask.m

their power went out for four hours today so their first instinct was to go to the grocery store.

now both of them are short of breath and they're blaming it on pollen.
I keep going back & forth between trying to figure out what to say to my parents to get them to take this seriously and telling myself that Boomers gonna Boomer and to accept their possible very preventable and stupid deaths.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i'm p. sure my fam is gonna die down in SoFL. mom keeps going to work as an excel user in a factory that had 4 reported cases of covid already. keeps going cause she "needs the money", then gets home to my grandpa whose daily medication looks like a bag of skittles, his heart is part cyborg, and he cosplays as darth vader to sleep at nights. partial lol...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

uhhh the russia/china border is pretty sparsely populated right? how do they know this? wouldn't international flights be a bigger suspect even if it happens to be pooling near russia?

Vladivostock is a pretty reasonably sized city right by the Chinese/North Korean border and its economy is entirely dependent on trade links with China and Japan. The new epicenter of the outbreak is Harbin which is the capital of Heilongjiang the northernmost part of Manchuria and is adjacent to Vladivostock. China also has a government which is competent enough to not immediately gently caress up contact tracing and interviewed and reviewed the history of confirmed cases.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

twoday posted:

I said that I was repeating a theory I read in a book, which was proposed by some people (who are not me) as a possible explanation for the ten year frequency of the plague because solar cycles have been noted to impact rodent population levels. They don’t seem to know, and neither do I, but there is some interesting evidence for it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19426078/
https://www.uqar.ca/uqar/recherche/unites_de_recherche/chaire_biodiversite_nordique/publications/msc_klvana_2002.pdf

You are describing Lotka-Volterra interactions when you're talking about predator-prey cycles. Sun activity cycles also generally correspond to global-scale primary productivity (i.e., photosynthesis). That said, maybe it is just that every ten years institutions and culture get lazy enough about sanitation and health that rats increase in population?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

just thinking about beaver populations loving exploding every decade

tens, hundreds of thousands of beavs

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Fasdar posted:

You are describing Lotka-Volterra interactions when you're talking about predator-prey cycles. Sun activity cycles also generally correspond to global-scale primary productivity (i.e., photosynthesis). That said, maybe it is just that every ten years institutions and culture get lazy enough about sanitation and health that rats increase in population?

Maybe :shrug:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Vladivostock is a pretty reasonably sized city right by the Chinese/North Korean border and its economy is entirely dependent on trade links with China and Japan. The new epicenter of the outbreak is Harbin which is the capital of Heilongjiang the northernmost part of Manchuria and is adjacent to Vladivostock. China also has a government which is competent enough to not immediately gently caress up contact tracing and interviewed and reviewed the history of confirmed cases.

ah. makes sense. drat RIP russia, I hoped their super BCG strain would help them survive even insufficient measures

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

thats how endemic viruses develop so

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fasdar posted:

sometimes this happens https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mautam

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

One million unemployment claims in a week in a state with an estimated 7.6mil people

https://twitter.com/ESDwaWorks/status/1254859131166404609

How high is the unemployment in WA now then? Got to be at least 1/3rd?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmfao what the gently caress are you talking about?

we made a dozen masks and any time we go out and use them, they immediately go in the laundry. re-using it without washing it makes it pointless.

a non zero number of americans drank bleach

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is that hideaki anno

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

a non zero number of americans drank bleach

cool man. you're really making some good points here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

like the first emperor with scholars, epidemiologists will be placed in THE WALL when all is said and done.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

ah. makes sense. drat RIP russia, I hoped their super BCG strain would help them survive even insufficient measures

Still seems to me to be evidence which leans in the direction that suggests that BCG is doing something

Though of course that’s only if the data is to be trusted

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Bernie Panders posted:

letting it sit for 3 days has the same effect on the roni as hardcore sterilization methods

this is what I do with our n95s, I sit them on a table on our balcony until the next time I need to use them

the sun UV isn't good enough I guess but it makes me feel better

since we don't have a washer/dryer in unit, my wife gets me the hottest tap water + detergent in a bucket and I put my cloth mask in there and handwash it after use

I put my clothes like my jacket and all, and shoes, outside too

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Ahem, fellow goons, I’ve observed that some among humanity are very loving dumb, might I suggest we all give up and do nothing to protect ourselves or others from this pandemic?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

One million unemployment claims in a week in a state with an estimated 7.6mil people

https://twitter.com/ESDwaWorks/status/1254859131166404609

gently caress me running

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
NUMBERS ON DAY ONE OF LEVEL 3

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

twoday posted:

Still seems to me to be evidence which leans in the direction that suggests that BCG is doing something

it's not

They're registering coronavirus deaths as cardiovascular disease and had 2 millions tesrs when next to no tests were done. this is a scandal all over uncontrolled communication media like russian Twitter or telegram

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twoday posted:

So it's either way worse in Russia now than the Russian counts say, or else China has done such an effective job at sealing their borders off from Corona that the Russian edge was one of the only ones that still was left fairly relaxed simply because they weren't expecting any from there yet, and now they know to.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
In post soviet russia, virus (not kgb) bugs you

twoday
May 4, 2005

Alright, so what’s happening in the rest of Eastern Europe? They secretly got the Warsaw Pact back together and decided to all lie about their stats in the same way?

twoday has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Apr 28, 2020

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

twoday posted:

Alright, so what’s happening in the rest of Eastern Europe?

Hef to plant potaytoh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Ahem, fellow goons, I’ve observed that some among humanity are very loving dumb, might I suggest we all give up and do nothing to protect ourselves or others from this pandemic?

:chaostrump: this sounds good! OPEN UP NOW

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
good news, that's what we're doing :toot:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

twoday posted:

Alright, so what’s happening in the rest of Eastern Europe?

most countries locked down very early so the Baltics and Poland have few deaths that is hard to correlate with bcg

Belarus is going by the way of Sweden because their dictator thinks goats and tractors cure virus but they fake their numbers too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

NUMBERS ON DAY ONE OF LEVEL 3

Where are the new cases coming from? People arriving back in the country and getting tested? Or is there still some low levels of community spread?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Somaen posted:

most countries locked down very early so the Baltics and Poland have few deaths that is hard to correlate with bcg

Belarus is going by the way of Sweden because their dictator thinks goats and tractors cure virus but they fake their numbers too

And East Germany?

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4

And BCG-vaccinated Southern Italy?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

piss rear end virus

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Where are the new cases coming from? People arriving back in the country and getting tested? Or is there still some low levels of community spread?

Tail end of one infection's asymptomatic contagiousness hitting a fresh body, and the infection spread is what, 20-something days?

Real easy to spread if even one idiot gets out and about

twoday
May 4, 2005

I’m not sure BCG is working, but hundreds of scientist seem to think it’s possible, about 10 different countries are running trials now. Even Johns Hopkins and Harvard are investigating it. I still think it’s possible, but I’m going to need better evidence that it’s not working than Russian social media posts to change my mind about that

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

twoday posted:

Alright, so what’s happening in the rest of Eastern Europe? They secretly got the Warsaw Pact back together and decided to all lie about their stats in the same way?

Estonia has been doing surprisingly badly and it was an actual part of the USSR, not just a satellite state. :magemage:

EDIT: RIP saaremaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

so are we at the point in World War Z yet where some dude figures out the best way to beat this thing is to do something very radical but only instead of working like it does in the book it doesn't work and we get owned ?? waiting til we get to the part where a fat goon stops getting food from his mom, finds a katana and spends a week climbing down the outside of an apartment building. cause then it's *~*MY*~* time to shine.