Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
How does air support work as part of your force? I'm assuming very different from helicopters even though they're both aircraft.

Is there a solid reasoning for which part of your army to start in reserve, or is that going to vary significantly by opponent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

How does air support work as part of your force? I'm assuming very different from helicopters even though they're both aircraft.

Air support basically works as a call-in. You pay the points, and then each round roll to see if the planes decide to show up. Air attacks work similarly to artillery, where you place a square template over whatever you want dead, roll to see if they hit it, then roll to see what the effects are. Anti-aircraft weapons get to shoot at planes just before they drop their bombs/fire their rockets/etc, so it's in your best interest to try and knock out enemy SAMs or SPAAGs before they blow up all your planes, or at least try and drop bombs at things that are out of their AA range. Helicopters by contrast are regular (though fragile) units that have unlimited mobility and can only be shot at with anti-air weapons, infantry rifles, or (hilariously) ATGMs.

quote:

Is there a solid reasoning for which part of your army to start in reserve, or is that going to vary significantly by opponent?

Really depends on the situation and the opponent, yeah. Typically you're going to want to put your least-mobile units on the table to start, but it really depends what you're facing and how likely each unit is to contribute.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

At the beginning of your turn, you roll a dice for each plane unit. On a 4+ they show up that round, do an attack, and then gently caress off.

Reserves are 40% of your force; you want this to be distributed among as few units as possible (so the totality of your reserves show up faster), as well as something which has an immediate effect on the game. High mobility, high firepower units are ideal. So tanks, helicopters, airplanes, etc.

In TY v1 it's 40% of your total units, not points so people take lots of cheap chaff units that they don't care about. This is dumb and was changed in v2.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So aircraft come in for only a single strike mission and then bounce? That's disappointing but at least it explains why they're cheap. Is AA usually worth taking, since it might get one use late, if it's used at all?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

So aircraft come in for only a single strike mission and then bounce? That's disappointing but at least it explains why they're cheap. Is AA usually worth taking, since it might get one use late, if it's used at all?

Apologies for not making it clearer—aircraft have a chance to come in every single turn, regardless of what they did in past turns. They're cheap because they're unreliable, and while they can have a big impact it's entirely due to chance.

AA isn't usually a bad choice though, because SPAAGs are duel purpose and the bigger ones can really chew up infantry and APCs, and they can all help swat down helicopters.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Strobe posted:

These posts have been very helpful!

So, if I did end up getting another box of LAVs and a box of Abrams down the line, that puts me at... 81 points according to that list builder linked.

... is a pair of Harriers really only three points? :wtc:

For the other 19 points, would it be better to grab an infantry company, or some air support and AA?

Fond memories of Wargame make me want to answer 'air support', but also ew resin.

Why not both? Mech inf are under 10 points, IIRC, and you can take a pair of harriers at 3 and some stingers.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Despite what I picked up to start (Which was entirely cool models), I really like the idea of helicopter-supported/air assault infantry. Are there trap options there, or things to consider beyond just points cost? Adding an extra Huey to some of these airborne infantry companies is zero points according to that list builder, so there has to be something.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Strobe posted:

Despite what I picked up to start (Which was entirely cool models), I really like the idea of helicopter-supported/air assault infantry. Are there trap options there, or things to consider beyond just points cost? Adding an extra Huey to some of these airborne infantry companies is zero points according to that list builder, so there has to be something.

You don't need the extra unless you're bringing support weapons but the huey is not, in and of itself, worth +1 point, is the answer. It's the transport for the mortar/dragon/MGs/etc.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Does bringing an extra let me spread out the platoon so losing one is less lost infantry? That was the first place I went, but transport for support infantry also makes sense.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Each Huey can only carry 3 teams so you need the extra one if you bring all the support options. Spreading the dudes out can help if a helicopter gets shot down or hit while landed, but it's not going to make a spectacular difference.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Honestly, it's EXTREMELY hard to shoot down helicopters in TY, because there's never a reason your enemy needs to have a good LOS to them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Strobe posted:

AA is super important, because aircraft are just absolutely brutal.

Consider that a Harrier unit drops a template the size of a small pizza with AT 7 and firepower 5+. Drop that on a unit of T-64s, and they will kill a couple of them and bail over half. And a unit of 4 Harriers costs just over what a single T-64 costs. If they kill even one of them, they've made their points back.

And Harriers are definitely good, but not an especially outstanding air unit. They are all like that, more or less. Soviet air is different in that although it doesn't usually drop giant murder-pizzas that hit 10 tanks at a time, they shoot giant AT missiles that will punch straight through any tank in the game and out the other end.

A lot of AA comes in the form of light tanks with AA cannons that are really good against infantry and soft targets when there is no air to shoot, so taking them isn't even much of a gamble.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That doesn't sound very good tbh

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Phi230 posted:

That doesn't sound very good tbh

My general reaction to TY.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Why though? Other than "TY bad".

The interplay between AA and air in TY is honestly really good. Air power dunking on heavy tanks in the absence of AA seems like the kind of thing that is pretty accurate in a Cold War game and it makes for interesting gameplay where taking out the enemy AA so your Hinds or whatnot can roll in and clean house becomes an important objective.

The superpowered AA and airpower is one of the things that I miss from TY when playing FOW and alters the dynamic of the game substantially.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That actually sounds like an interesting interplay to me so it's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Rock-Paper-Scissors isn't an inherent downside as long as having the appropriate counters is a matter of player preparation and not one side having something the other just has no response for.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Strobe posted:

That actually sounds like an interesting interplay to me so it's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Rock-Paper-Scissors isn't an inherent downside as long as having the appropriate counters is a matter of player preparation and not one side having something the other just has no response for.

I think the only country that suffers from lack of great AA is Iran, and they're compensated by the degree of redundancy they get in everything being so goddamn cheap.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
For anyone looking for bases, I've recently ordered a bunch from Proxie Models: http://www.proxiemodels.com/

I like plastic bases when I can get them, and this dude makes a bunch in odd sizes. For example, I got a bunch of 15mm and 20mm round bases for smaller scale skirmish games. The plastic is hard but no brittle, with decent prices, most bases are $4.50 a pack and he offers free shipping in the US at $36.00 (8 packs). Under rectangular bases there's even a DBA/WRG set!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Anybody have a lead on somewhere that has L’Art de la Guerre in stock? That ships to the US?

I’d like to use some of this downtime (just got furloughed) to work on some ancients. I’d like to get two armies that are compatible with both DBA and LAG. Seems like the latter just adds a few units to the former, but I’d love to be able to read the book before I start a project.

Speaking of this does anyone have words about LADLG? I've been looking around for a good game that plays fast, has a variety of army selections, is generally balanced, and fits on a table of about 3' by 5'. (I mostly just miss playing Warhammer Diskwars tbh.) From what I've seen LADLG looks like a compromise between FOG's bigger scale and complex army lists vs DBA's army balance approach of "eh gently caress it" but I haven't seen a lot of talk about it recently

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I painted some vikings!

These are from the Victrix plastic kit, which are really nice. I have another 6 built and ready for priming, which I'll hopefully get to tomorrow.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of this does anyone have words about LADLG? I've been looking around for a good game that plays fast, has a variety of army selections, is generally balanced, and fits on a table of about 3' by 5'. (I mostly just miss playing Warhammer Diskwars tbh.) From what I've seen LADLG looks like a compromise between FOG's bigger scale and complex army lists vs DBA's army balance approach of "eh gently caress it" but I haven't seen a lot of talk about it recently

That's a good synopsis. It recommends a roughly 4 x 2.5 foot table for models up to 15mm. My biggest point in it's favor is it is way easier to parse the rules than DBx and many, many illustrated examples are given in the book (it's the real reasons the rules are 70 pages). The lists are balanced by period and points, so your elite Romans will be outnumbered by more numerous Goths. Be warned that elephants and war wagons will slow the game down. It's also cool that North, Central and South American native peoples are included in the lists if you want to do something different. For $5 as a pdf it's a pretty good deal with lots of content. If you want a game that's faster playing look at To the Strongest! but it's gridded which rubs some people the wrong way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've finally gotten a look at the BG:NORTHAG rules, and I like a lot of what I'm seeing, but how the heck are you supposed to get up to a 1500 point game when Chieftains and mech. Infantry platoons are hard capped at 3?

You can take one of either as a vanguard unit, and then 0-1of either for your main column.

Granted I only had brief access to the rules and probably missed something, but this doesn't seem like it scales well.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone know about the state of Heroics and Ros? Last times I've checked half the store was listed as out of stock :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's all here: http://www.heroicsandros.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=newsshow&ref=sample&sid=1k3e3r7l8f2bp3837x78e9b9re8y8e24

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Is it just me, or is there no date on that post?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Springfield Fatts posted:

That's a good synopsis. It recommends a roughly 4 x 2.5 foot table for models up to 15mm. My biggest point in it's favor is it is way easier to parse the rules than DBx and many, many illustrated examples are given in the book (it's the real reasons the rules are 70 pages). The lists are balanced by period and points, so your elite Romans will be outnumbered by more numerous Goths. Be warned that elephants and war wagons will slow the game down. It's also cool that North, Central and South American native peoples are included in the lists if you want to do something different. For $5 as a pdf it's a pretty good deal with lots of content. If you want a game that's faster playing look at To the Strongest! but it's gridded which rubs some people the wrong way.

Cool, for 5bux I can probably just get the pdf to test it out. Funny that you mention the Americans there since one thing that bugged me about FOG is how you've got incredibly complex army lists for some factions where there's two pages for every variant of spearmanii in the HRE and then some factions like the Americans get like 4 unit types

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Springfield Fatts posted:

It recommends a roughly 4 x 2.5 foot table for models up to 15mm.

You mean it's a game that fits on my kitchen counter, the biggest surface in my studio apartment?

Sold

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Is it just me, or is there no date on that post?
It's a bunch of posts mashed together, because they were going to take down the entire website in March and rebuild it. Then corona happened.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got a shipping notice this morning for the Bolt Action: Stalingrad! campaign book! :toot:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

You mean it's a game that fits on my kitchen counter, the biggest surface in my studio apartment?

Sold

In it's defense DBA needs only a 2 x 2 table but the trade off is you're playing DBA.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like DBA, but I feel like it would almost always be better to play it with counters for troop types or just play a derivative like that fantasy version, or Dux Bellorum.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Playing a solo match of ADLG on TTS and probably loving up all the rules, I like a lot of it but wish they'd just straight copied FOG's unit classification nomenclature. Still plays pretty fast and is interesting enough so I'll probably check it out more. I did notice the website has probability tables for resolving combat with a d5 instead of 6, does that work well? Seems like its a little less swingy but ranged combat would be off (lights are seemingly always at -2 at least?)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I finally got around to basing my first "real" Napoleonic battalions. Say hello to the 33me Intanterie de Ligne, first to third battalions. The minis are mostly Victrix, with some spare Perrys, Warlord and Calpe to fill in gaps.

I used far more drummers and officers than usual to represent that each company would have them, not just the colour party.

Some Warlord guys I had left over are mixed in there. The mounted Chef de Bataillon is from Calpe.

Flags from GMB Designs

First battalion

Second battalion

Third battalion

I did a longer write-up on my decision on basing sizes etc., on the blog. Most "sacreligious" part is that I ended up ordering bases that are too deep, but ended up preferring it to the more commonly used dimensions. So now I'm sticking with my heresy and loving it. :)

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/french-33rd-line-regiment-mostly-victrix

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
These are gorgeous!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
C'est chic.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Beautiful as always Jonas

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Absolutely beautiful.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo those are wonderful.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Good lord that’s a lot of Frenchmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The paint job on those are obviously fantastic, but I think getting the deep bases was an accidental stroke of genius. The additional flocking makes them look much more present in a setting, especially where you've got the big shock of red tufts in the front of each battalion.