Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'd not be surprised we find out that this is why Bruce vanished. The death of someone so close to him, would probably damage Bruce in a serious way.

Also the Crows are probably more corrupt than the GCPD. I mean they're a PMC, so even the small oversight cops have is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I figure Bruce is like Superman on Supergirl. Eventually he'll show up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
We're going to get Alice in Arkham segments aren't we?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

GreenNight posted:

I figure Bruce is like Superman on Supergirl. Eventually he'll show up.

boots first.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If the listing I just looked at is right, there's a new episode tonight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Should've named a Detonator (terrible name) suspect Stan just as a nice nod to another villain we probably wont ever see in Live Action

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This isn't breaking any news, but Quarantine commercials loving suck.

e: Mary just straight up confronting Kate with the truth is an unexpected, but welcome curve.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 27, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mary's telling us a story about a Kate Kane that we should've seen more of.

Edit: Julia and Sophie are gonna gently caress.

Edit2: WHAAAAAAAT. That's a goddamn loving bombshell to drop. It's a good hook to pick up later if they can, but holy poo poo.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 27, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Huh, Batman killed the Joker, that make things a lot easier going forward then.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Huh, Batman killed the Joker, that make things a lot easier going forward then.

It's a really interesting hook if they wanted to explore it and it gives them a lot of narrative space to introduce a copycat or someone trying to carry on the legacy without using any of the embargoed characters like Harley. (Maybe they'll try using Punchline, lmao).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xelkelvos posted:

Mary's telling us a story about a Kate Kane that we should've seen more of.

Yeah, can we have the Young Batwoman Adventures?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a really interesting hook if they wanted to explore it and it gives them a lot of narrative space to introduce a copycat or someone trying to carry on the legacy without using any of the embargoed characters like Harley. (Maybe they'll try using Punchline, lmao).

I was thinking someone like Joker's Daughter would fit in.

Dear Batwoman Writers, please focus more on Luke's search for his dads murder, less more craaaaaaaaazy Alice and Mouse. Oh look someones in Arkham being tortured, haven't seen that before. Gimme Hugo Strange performing wacky experiments or gently caress off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Both this week's Legends and now Batwoman have featured Mortal Kombat 11 prominently. Did they have some DLC come out that WB's trying to subtly plug?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Should've just used Injustice and not explain it at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TwoPair posted:

Both this week's Legends and now Batwoman have featured Mortal Kombat 11 prominently. Did they have some DLC come out that WB's trying to subtly plug?

Yea I was wondering about that too. I figure its just because its a WB game.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*reads last two pages*

Well. Well Batwoman certainly went places.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

*reads last two pages*

Well. Well Batwoman certainly went places.

I might actually have to binge the last couple of episodes. gently caress me that the show suddenly gets legitimately good immediately after I swore off watching it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was hoping they'd put Alice and Mouse on ice for awhile after locking them up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

I might actually have to binge the last couple of episodes. gently caress me that the show suddenly gets legitimately good immediately after I swore off watching it.

That's how it is with cw shows though and I kind of called it (:smug:) a few months ago. After the writing staff lays out a turd of a season they usually go "whoops sorry here's something better."

Although I suppose in this case the episodes were already written so maybe we just worked our way through the initial feeling out scripts? Idk

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I was hoping they'd put Alice and Mouse on ice for awhile after locking them up.

Paging Nora Fries to the show. Nora Fries, to the show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The show definitely had the weakest start of any DC-CW show; but I think it’s improved quite a bit. I still think it’s the weakest show but it also doesn’t have the history that other shows have.

Plenty of great shows had weak first or sometimes even second seasons; we’ve just grown more impatient over the years.

I find myself wondering if this show couldn’t have been improved by having Kate start out on arrow and train under Oliver or something for a season before moving to Gotham and taking up the batwoman mantle.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

The show definitely had the weakest start of any DC-CW show; but I think it’s improved quite a bit. I still think it’s the weakest show but it also doesn’t have the history that other shows have.

Plenty of great shows had weak first or sometimes even second seasons; we’ve just grown more impatient over the years.

I find myself wondering if this show couldn’t have been improved by having Kate start out on arrow and train under Oliver or something for a season before moving to Gotham and taking up the batwoman mantle.

I think it might've been better if we got started with Kate in full swing as Batwoman or some sort of vigilante for a year or something already while they cut to flashbacks of her starting out and her and other characters' past.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How about a show without any bullshit hyperdrama or shoehorned flashbacks and jus*vaporized by the CW satellite*

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think it might've been better if we got started with Kate in full swing as Batwoman or some sort of vigilante for a year or something already while they cut to flashbacks of her starting out and her and other characters' past.

Super hero media in general really needs to get over the obsession with origin stories. We really don't need to see how every single super hero got into super heroing and how they weren't 100% sure about it at first and they almost gave up but then they realised that they were having a positive effect and decided to stick with it and at first they didn't have their iconic costume but then they got someone to make it for them and originally they didn't tell anyone what they were doing but then they decided to trust some people with their secret and oh my god we've seen this a million times just skip it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Super hero media in general really needs to get over the obsession with origin stories. We really don't need to see how every single super hero got into super heroing and how they weren't 100% sure about it at first and they almost gave up but then they realised that they were having a positive effect and decided to stick with it and at first they didn't have their iconic costume but then they got someone to make it for them and originally they didn't tell anyone what they were doing but then they decided to trust some people with their secret and oh my god we've seen this a million times just skip it.

Normally I'd agree because Christ knows we don't need more reminders of Uncle Ben or the Waynes getting shot or Krypton blowing up, but those are heroes everyone knows. Comparatively though, Batwoman is pretty new (I mean even for comic readers she's the newest character to be created I think, isn't she?), so the viewing audience isn't gonna know her.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was kinda hoping they'd do a plotline where Mary became a sidekick for ersatz-Batwoman to prove to Kate she could do it but that might have been too fun for this show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I was kinda hoping they'd do a plotline where Mary became a sidekick for ersatz-Batwoman to prove to Kate she could do it but that might have been too fun for this show.

Wait are they making Mary Firebird? :frogon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Finally caught up on the episode.

Things I need more of: Hush being a mastermind, broken Kevin Conroy Bruce, Julia Pennyworth being british
Things I need less of: anything to do with Mouse

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Normally I'd agree because Christ knows we don't need more reminders of Uncle Ben or the Waynes getting shot or Krypton blowing up, but those are heroes everyone knows. Comparatively though, Batwoman is pretty new (I mean even for comic readers she's the newest character to be created I think, isn't she?), so the viewing audience isn't gonna know her.

Of the headlining characters for the DCCW, yeah Batwoman is the newest one. This iteration was created in 2006. Green Arrow, The Flash and Black Lightning are Silver or Golden Age characters. (and even then GA and BL are lower profile characters that only comic book nerds might know about beyond "shoots arrow" and "has electricity").

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TwoPair posted:

Doesn't matter. They should still be starting with the hero already established so that we can get straight to some fun/exciting/interesting stories. Do the origin later as a flashback or something if you want, because that way you've already built up interest in the character so the audience might actually want to know how they got to where they are. Other genres do it that way all the time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't matter. They should still be starting with the hero already established so that we can get straight to some fun/exciting/interesting stories. Do the origin later as a flashback or something if you want, because that way you've already built up interest in the character so the audience might actually want to know how they got to where they are. Other genres do it that way all the time.

It does depend on the character and type of story that's being told. The upcoming Stargirl series is partially a coming of age story and for a character that's not very well known so it makes sense to show off her origin because that's where the interesting part is. Compare to Black Lightning where Jefferson and Gambi are already into their careers and semi-retired, but the girls haven't even started and part of the drama is the interaction there between family members.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 29, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tiggum posted:

That's kiiiiinda how it played out if you consider her introduction to be Elseworlds. You could consider everything up to when Mouse rejoins Alice as a flashback. Which is something they did a terrible job of making clear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mary is gonna be Flamebird and Sophie is gonna sleep with Julia. Alice is probably also gonna double cross Tommy and gently caress up his real face while also giving him a fake Bruce Wayne face.

Edit: Never mind. I guess he had to lose it to keep up appearances, but lol.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 4, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress them up Mary.

Is this the first episode James Bamford has directed? It kinda shows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Julia dropping some bodies. Makes me miss Arrow a little.

Edit:

howe_sam posted:

He's got a bunch of Arrow Directing credits from the final season and one Supergirl episode
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0051466/#director

Edit 2: that's an interesting twist. more than one too! I hope Spyral gets written in. Maybe even certain Agent 37?

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 4, 2020

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

howe_sam posted:

Ha, I hadn't noticed he directed it. Now I'm less surprised that it was the best the fight choreography has ever looked.

In fact, this was probably the best episode of the series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I know why they use Magpie because they can't use Catwoman, but was she always basically just Black Cat?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I know why they use Magpie because they can't use Catwoman, but was she always basically just Black Cat?

She's basically just a costumed jewel thief though her stint in Arkham was more for severe kleptomania before getting killed off.

Her last appearance is in the new Suicide Squad series where she's red shirt'd along with Cavalier (a more obscure one note villain)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

She's basically just a costumed jewel thief though her stint in Arkham was more for severe kleptomania before getting killed off.

Her last appearance is in the new Suicide Squad series where she's red shirt'd along with Cavalier (a more obscure one note villain)

I mean she thinks she's a bird so Arkham probably isn't that bad a fit.

I do hope they keep keep her around, though. For some reason she's really endearing to me.

Also we need more dorky Kate. Best moment if the series so far was her hucking a batarang, completely missing the return, shattering a priceless case, and going "...whoopsie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean she thinks she's a bird so Arkham probably isn't that bad a fit.

I do hope they keep keep her around, though. For some reason she's really endearing to me.

Also we need more dorky Kate. Best moment if the series so far was her hucking a batarang, completely missing the return, shattering a priceless case, and going "...whoopsie"

That and her sneezing in the “make a sound and everything explodes room”. That along with Luke’s “Did you just—[MASSIVE EXPLOSION]” gag was one of the funniest things the show has ever done.