Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I know this is a joke but I'm legit interested in this mouse now that I've used my G700 for a couple of years and gotten used to using 7 extra mouse buttons in basically every game.

It's the best god drat mouse I ever owned.

152 grams without the battery :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hashy posted:

152 grams without the battery :stare:

It's perfect for my giant gorilla hands.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Any thought on whether they could add some sort of co-op campaign in the future? Or some modding team add it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Any thought on whether they could add some sort of co-op campaign in the future? Or some modding team add it?

I really wouldn't bet on it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jack Trades posted:

I really wouldn't bet on it.

Hey now Doom 2 had coop and essentially no one played it

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ShadowHawk posted:

Nonsense. You missed the early years of Dwango and csdoom/zdaemon/skulltag. Even Doom Legacy had some activity early on during Doom Connector's time. Doom1&2 co-op was extremely common.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Rocket Pan posted:

Nonsense. You missed the early years of Dwango and csdoom/zdaemon/skulltag. Even Doom Legacy had some activity early on during Doom Connector's time. Doom1&2 co-op was extremely common.
My memory is people mostly played deathmatch, but this was vague memories of networked computers at "programming camp" as a child

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

Any news on when the soundtrack on this is coming out? I need to spend some more money on video game vinyl records because I'm cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alienwarez posted:

Any news on when the soundtrack on this is coming out? I need to spend some more money on video game vinyl records because I'm cool.

Good news: It's already out for Collector's Edition people and it's going to be out this week for everyone else.

Bad news: Most tracks aren't mixed by Mick Gordon and instead are mixed by some random dude that did a bad job.

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Good news: It's already out for Collector's Edition people and it's going to be out this week for everyone else.

Bad news: Most tracks aren't mixed by Mick Gordon and instead are mixed by some random dude that did a bad job.

I have the collectors edition, I must have just totally missed where the soundtrack was. Sucks about the bad mixing though. I saw a video about how Mick Gordon recorded tons and tons of music for this so the music could change seamlessly during combat so I was wondering how the mixing for the soundtrack was going to be done.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alienwarez posted:

I have the collectors edition, I must have just totally missed where the soundtrack was. Sucks about the bad mixing though. I saw a video about how Mick Gordon recorded tons and tons of music for this so the music could change seamlessly during combat so I was wondering how the mixing for the soundtrack was going to be done.

You log into bethesda's website and go into transaction history or something, afaik.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Good news, apparently Mick Gordon is working on releasing his own mix of the soundtrack. Bad news is it's not in any official capacity and there's no ETA. But it's being worked on! (and hopefully id/Bethesda keep to themselves and let it happen)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Good news, apparently Mick Gordon is working on releasing his own mix of the soundtrack. Bad news is it's not in any official capacity and there's no ETA. But it's being worked on! (and hopefully id/Bethesda keep to themselves and let it happen)

I'm assuming this is a "I got nothing better to do while world locked down in a pandemic so I might as well" type of situation.
I hope he does more streams.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Alienwarez posted:

If the CE is the one with the silly audio cassette, then that should have a separate code on it for the soundtrack download

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mike the TV posted:

I've started a Nightmare campaign and the big battle near the end of Exultia is proving to be too hard with my limited arsenal. I took the advice of using micro missiles this time around and it works pretty well, but just having 3 weapons is really cramping the style that I got on the end of my Ultra-Violence run.
I finally learned to lean on the plasma rifle a lot more here. The plasma rifle has always been a weird one for me that I overlook a lot, it's just kinda... straightforward and boring to use. It has some of the fastest damage output at that point in the game though, especially with an upgrade or two thrown into it. Also has plenty of ammo, so you can just barrage anything in sight with it, and the shock blast can be a lifesaver when things get really busy. That's one of things that tends to kill me the most, tunnel vision on a heavy demon, meanwhile 2 or 3 of the fodders are sneaking/flying up behind me and taking chunks out of the slayer's supple DoomButt

That section has checked me a few times on Ultra-Nightmare, my latest strategy has been to sprint straight for the damage bonus pickup, plasma rifle the spider and baron, then spend the rest of the fight dashing around firing grenades and plasma at anything that moves, making lots of use of the portal to double back around behind them when I start getting overwhelmed.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

gently caress yes, his mixes are godlike

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OK I give up, what's the order it switches weapons to when you run out of ammo? I'm tired of wasting bfg shots on nothing. Everything else still had ammo so it's not that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 28, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It switches to your next weapon. The order goes: Combat Shotgun, HAR, Plasma Gun, Rocket Launcher, Super Shotgun, Ballista, Chaingun, BFG, Combat Shotgun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

It switches to your next weapon. The order goes: Combat Shotgun, HAR, Plasma Gun, Rocket Launcher, Super Shotgun, Ballista, Chaingun, BFG, Combat Shotgun.

I had the ssg out and energy cells remaining - I was fighting a marauder lol so it just blocked the bfg shot when it autoswapped. I manually swapped to the ballista after. I'll keep that in mind and I guess just stop shooting when I'm low in case it happens again

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Some quick testing suggests it's more along the lines of whichever weapon you last used before the one that ran out of ammo. Personally I turned the auto-switch features off not long into my first playthrough because I found them annoying more than anything, though.

Also, the existence of the (currently?) pointless grenade toggle got me thinking: couldn't the weapon mod swap key be made redundant if selecting the active weapon again switched out its mod instead? The BFG/Unmaykr already work like this, so extending the functionality to the rest of the arsenal seems like it'd work just fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how the entire opening of Urdak is just the Maykrs staring at Doomguy until he shrugs, pulls out a knife, and shanks the ritual and all the Khan Maykr does is say "don't you fuckin do that doomguy, don't you do it!"

MMAgCh posted:

Some quick testing suggests it's more along the lines of whichever weapon you last used before the one that ran out of ammo. Personally I turned the auto-switch features off not long into my first playthrough because I found them annoying more than anything, though.

Oh poo poo I didn't know that was an option, that's way better. Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really your best bet is to tune your ear for the low ammo sound effect and mentally prepare to switch to your next weapon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I turned down the sound and voice so I could hear the music a little better, but that just gets chumps getting a free meal out of me. Once I'm focused on something beefy I've got maybe four seconds before I've lost track of the rest of the enemies on the field; usually the Load Checkpoint button shows up few second after

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

...there’s a low ammo sound effect?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a unique sound effect for everything important. Primarily because humans react faster to sound than visuals.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

If this is bait you got me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Woofer posted:

...there’s a low ammo sound effect?

Yeah it's a loud, hollow sounding "clunk" when you're down to about 1/5ths ammo for any given weapon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, the kill screen Doomometer rates killing the false god and damning Heaven about a 3 compared to killing a weenie by shotgunning him real good once then leaving, which is like five times Doomier

The kill screen knows what's up

e: I ripped and tore. I expected to find the Icon of Sin incredibly annoying but it's basically the world's best victory lap. I noticed it didn't spawn any big guys though, though I guess the leadup was for that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 29, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

After an unfortunate HDD crash, I reinstalled and am doing a playthrough on Nightmare. Just finished Exultia. The game is extremely rough until you get your dash back, but after that everything clicks right back into place. The difficulty curve is just absurdly nice; on my first play, on UV, I had to come back to finish the Exultia Slayer Gate, but this time I breezed past it.

Whoever gave the advice for micro missiles and just let sticky bomb splash damage solve for weak points - good advice, thank you. Dread Knights were a genuine pain in my rear end on UV, but a salvo of missiles just gibs them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The game up to the dash is rough until you figure out the gas tank placements and ration your chainsaw to delete arachnotrons

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I just spent a few minutes looking at the planet the doomship is orbiting. It's not easy to tell but I didn't see any cities... oops, maybe shouldn't have spent all that time looking for collectables when I should have been saving the world.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did you guys hear about Mick Gordon will never work with ID again after they meddled with the soundtrack to make it mediocre as it is?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No please tell us more.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Did you guys hear about Mick Gordon will never work with ID again after they meddled with the soundtrack to make it mediocre as it is?

oh word?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
For what it's worth, today's Steam client update includes the following bullet point:

quote:

Improved Steam Overlay and FPS counter performance for games using Vulkan async compute (such as DOOM Eternal).
Judging from playing the game for less than five minutes with the overlay/FPS counter toggled back on, it seemed to run just fine now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: I ripped and tore. I expected to find the Icon of Sin incredibly annoying but it's basically the world's best victory lap. I noticed it didn't spawn any big guys though, though I guess the leadup was for that.

Apparently the spawns during the fight are really, really random, which is a big part of how people are experiencing it differently.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

who is mick gordon

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Augus posted:

who is mick gordon

mickma balls

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
mick gordon's purple goop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

Apparently the spawns during the fight are really, really random, which is a big part of how people are experiencing it differently.

Maybe it's based on difficulty? On Hurt Me Plenty it was zombies, soldiers, (not even imps!), gargoyles, cacos, pain elementals, whatever the thing that projects shields is called, maybe a single Mancubus the whole time, and I think that's it actually. I expected a Marauder or Archvile to pop out that never did.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 30, 2020