Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

khy posted:

Ancients 1 is the one, holy poo poo SO MANY MEMORIES THE NOSTALGIA IS OVERFLOWING.

Ok, this is super weird, but every time I see a post ITT that mentions 'early 90s PC RPG', my first thought is always "Maybe it's Ancients" before I read the rest of the post in question. And now it happened (except I was too late to be helpful, so all you're left with is this dumb post.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
You said Moraff and now I'm right back in the realm of OH HOW I WANT A REMAKE/UPDATE OF MORAFF'S DUNGEONS OF THE UNFORGIVEN

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Funktor posted:

You said Moraff and now I'm right back in the realm of OH HOW I WANT A REMAKE/UPDATE OF MORAFF'S DUNGEONS OF THE UNFORGIVEN

I played Moraff's Entrap way back in the day and it was the weirdest game I had experienced up to that point. Might still be.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The only Moraff game I was aware of as a kid was Moraff's Blast, and this gets ever-weirder the older I get.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Alright here's another. It was a 90's pc game. It was an isometric mafia themed builder I think? You'd build buildings and assign them to illegal operations like bootlegging and I think you could also train agents like saboteurs and assassins to mess up the competition. It's been forever and I only ever played the demo that came with a pc gamer mag if I remember correctly. Always wanted to find it again but I can barely remember anything about it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Gangsters?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
No, I don't think it is. I'm not familiar with this one but I think the game was really more about building and management than controlling a team of goons. That said it's been so long that what I remember is really hazy and half-remembered.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Karanas posted:

No, I don't think it is. I'm not familiar with this one but I think the game was really more about building and management than controlling a team of goons. That said it's been so long that what I remember is really hazy and half-remembered.

If it's not Gangsters I'm going with Mob Rule

Be aware Mob Rule was released under a handful of names in different markets so just cuz the name doesn't ring a bell doesn't necessarily mean it's not it.

VVVVV: It wasn't worth playing back in the day. I had it. :/

chairface fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 22, 2020

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Ok yeah I think that's the one. Well done, you guys are wizards.

I wonder if it's worth playing in this day and age.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 22, 2020

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Karanas posted:

Alright here's another. It was a 90's pc game. It was an isometric mafia themed builder I think? You'd build buildings and assign them to illegal operations like bootlegging and I think you could also train agents like saboteurs and assassins to mess up the competition. It's been forever and I only ever played the demo that came with a pc gamer mag if I remember correctly. Always wanted to find it again but I can barely remember anything about it.

Narc.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

harsh, but fair

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Two -

SNES (or maybe NES) top-down adventure game

Only things I remember from this is that the HUD was primarily a candle on the right side of the screen that got shorter either as you got hurt or tired; it had a day/night cycle; and an early part of the game you come across a desert area with an abandoned town.

Embarrassing thing is I am positive I asked about this years ago on another forum, and I've since forgotten what it was. Part of the answer I was sure of though was that it was made by a game studio that created other games I was a huge fan of - Origin. But I've searched through lists of games they made and none of them match (definitely wasn't a mainline Ultima and almost positive it wasn't an Ultima spinoff).

Multiplayer arcade space fighter

Less pressing since it's unlikely I'll ever be able to play it again, but one summer in Florida in the mid-nineties I went to an arcade in Hollywood (... or possibly Daytona) and there was a massive construct with at least six seats and a room-length screen where everyone would play together in the same space fighting game. Nothing particularly remarkable about the gameplay other than it being a novel experience, a team-based space fighter.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Duodecimal posted:

Multiplayer arcade space fighter

Less pressing since it's unlikely I'll ever be able to play it again, but one summer in Florida in the mid-nineties I went to an arcade in Hollywood (... or possibly Daytona) and there was a massive construct with at least six seats and a room-length screen where everyone would play together in the same space fighting game. Nothing particularly remarkable about the gameplay other than it being a novel experience, a team-based space fighter.

Space Lords, Atari's last great arcade game.

THE BLUE PLAYER RAMMED US

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Duodecimal posted:

Two -

SNES (or maybe NES) top-down adventure game

Only things I remember from this is that the HUD was primarily a candle on the right side of the screen that got shorter either as you got hurt or tired; it had a day/night cycle; and an early part of the game you come across a desert area with an abandoned town.

Embarrassing thing is I am positive I asked about this years ago on another forum, and I've since forgotten what it was. Part of the answer I was sure of though was that it was made by a game studio that created other games I was a huge fan of - Origin. But I've searched through lists of games they made and none of them match (definitely wasn't a mainline Ultima and almost positive it wasn't an Ultima spinoff).

Pretty sure this is Times of Lore.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Pretty sure this is Times of Lore.

Wow, was almost positive it was SNES. Graphics are much lower than I remembered, but that's definitely it. Going to fire up mesen and see if there's a reason it stuck with me.

[edit]Lasted about 50 seconds[/edit]

ManxomeBromide posted:

Space Lords, Atari's last great arcade game.

Maybe! It was a hurried experience and I died pretty quick. Only arcade footage I'm finding is a single screen. The seats for the game I played were like the full setup for car racing games, but with a joystick. Wasn't a standard arcade cabinet, the screen was a few feet away and larger.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 26, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for a 00s adventure/horror(?) game, it was about 3 people stranded in some space station/ship where a deadly virus killed most of the crew. The gimmick was that all 3 had skills essential to success, but they could never meet because each carried a different strain of the virus which would kill them upon contact with the others.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Looking for a 00s adventure/horror(?) game, it was about 3 people stranded in some space station/ship where a deadly virus killed most of the crew. The gimmick was that all 3 had skills essential to success, but they could never meet because each carried a different strain of the virus which would kill them upon contact with the others.

Martian Gothic

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

Martian Gothic
Thanks.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I think I remember that being $10 new on release. Was it actually good, or just budget shovelware?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Pneub posted:

I think I remember that being $10 new on release. Was it actually good, or just budget shovelware?

Very atmospheric and intriguing setting but the gameplay was a bit clunky and enemies took alot of damage and did not stay dead, iirc. $10 was about right. Full price, heck no.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Looking for an arcade game I played in the late 90s. It was a two-player air fighter combat game with a pretty decked-out seated cabinet. The unique thing about it was that it was on rails and the players traded who was shooting at who, i.e., it was fixed perspective from the back and you either were shooting or dodging.

I feel like this was a pretty common, maybe well-known game? But after desperate googling over the last few days and I got nothing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Looking for an arcade game I played in the late 90s. It was a two-player air fighter combat game with a pretty decked-out seated cabinet. The unique thing about it was that it was on rails and the players traded who was shooting at who, i.e., it was fixed perspective from the back and you either were shooting or dodging.

I feel like this was a pretty common, maybe well-known game? But after desperate googling over the last few days and I got nothing.

Is it Steel Talons?

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9785

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Gonna crosspost this here:

Nostalgamus posted:

Some DOS-era platformer I played very briefly at a friends house once. 256 color graphics.

There was a brief intro sequence with a ship flying overhead and an astronaut (our protagonist) falling towards the surface in what looked like the NASA "space chair" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Maneuvering_Unit).

No text, so I don't know if you're on a mission or crash-landed on a hostile planet.

The first level was flying through a cave shooting various tiny things. (IIRC the cave wall were blue/purple).

Also, there was a stalacite at one point. Just one. Can't remember if you had to shoot it before flying under it or something, but I'm pretty sure I died there a lot.

Eventually I managed to stumble my way to level 2, where you left the chair and started walking around with a gun, fighting some green-ish hobo looking aliens. I have a pretty clear memory of the player sprite having brown boots, but no feet - so he looked like he had peg legs. There were some platforms visible above you, but you couldn't jump anywhere near that high. You had some kind of grappling hook (depicted) that could shoot straight up, but it wouldn't attach to any of the platforms except one at the other end of the level (and I don't remember that one looking any different than the others).

On a platform right right above the one I could finally grapple onto, there was some kind of...veiny egg sac that released a flying pterodactyl-looking alien when I got close, which killed me pretty much instantly. I might have had very low health at this point - you could take multiple hits, but I don't remember any life indicator (or any HUD at all, come to think of it).

When you died, there was a brief animation of blood spurting through a hole in your spacesuit. It looked kinda silly.

After dying to the bird thing I was apparently out of lives and had to start at the first level again (I'm pretty sure I restarted the second level at least once, so I don't think it was a "one life, gently caress you" game). At that point I said gently caress it and tried playing something else.

I've tried searching a bit, but "early 90's platformer with astronaut protagonist" is not a narrow search term.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Looking for an Action RPG on the Sega Saturn (but maybe it was early Playstation 1?). Something having to do with elves and there were little orange gems you'd collect maybe? I remember very little except that my friends and I rented it and finished it over a weekend. I remember a screen where your character was standing on a green cliff overlooking a sky maybe.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

Nostalgamus posted:

Gonna crosspost this here:

This is Phylox.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Funktor posted:

Looking for an Action RPG on the Sega Saturn (but maybe it was early Playstation 1?). Something having to do with elves and there were little orange gems you'd collect maybe? I remember very little except that my friends and I rented it and finished it over a weekend. I remember a screen where your character was standing on a green cliff overlooking a sky maybe.

First thing to come to mind is Alundra.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Funktor posted:

Shining Wisdom?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

No, it was quite a bit more modern, and featured fighter planes, not helicopters.

Good suggestion, though!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The Interloper posted:

This is Phylox.

Yup, that looks exactly like what I remember. Thanks.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

al-azad posted:

First thing to come to mind is Alundra.

Might be this.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
Looking for a strategy game, very likely a RTS, that had a hovercraft unit. The unit had a blue (or purple)/silver color scheme if I can remember correctly. Should be sometime from late 90s - early 2000s. Any clues?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Red Alert 2? Possible unit in question

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

I think it looked more like this

https://imgur.com/a/NDlptJB

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet
This one is 4 da gamers

More than 10 years ago, my dad would bring me back gifts from Flying J truck stops (he was a trucker).
These were games ranging from obscure (BHunter) to godlike (Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament) to less good.
When the budget was low he would bring back freeware or shareware type titles that probably sold for a dollar.

The one I've been trying to track down and name has escaped me all these years is one of these.
It is:
-pc
-probably shareware
-maybe never got a full release
-unknown publisher and country of release but at least released in the USA
-unknown release date but probably some years after Red Alert 1?
-it is an RTS game à la Red Alert+Starcraft
-you harvest blue minerals which are used to make drugs of some kind, that's your main ressource
-that's all lol

It's not Dune
Think Napalm: The Crimson Crisis type deal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm:_The_Crimson_Crisis

I have nothing to offer if you do manage to name the game other than the feeling of being stupid knowledgeable about ancient video games.

than k you thread

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

This one is 4 da gamers

More than 10 years ago, my dad would bring me back gifts from Flying J truck stops (he was a trucker).
These were games ranging from obscure (BHunter) to godlike (Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament) to less good.
When the budget was low he would bring back freeware or shareware type titles that probably sold for a dollar.

The one I've been trying to track down and name has escaped me all these years is one of these.
It is:
-pc
-probably shareware
-maybe never got a full release
-unknown publisher and country of release but at least released in the USA
-unknown release date but probably some years after Red Alert 1?
-it is an RTS game à la Red Alert+Starcraft
-you harvest blue minerals which are used to make drugs of some kind, that's your main ressource
-that's all lol

It's not Dune
Think Napalm: The Crimson Crisis type deal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm:_The_Crimson_Crisis

I have nothing to offer if you do manage to name the game other than the feeling of being stupid knowledgeable about ancient video games.

than k you thread

The L.E.D. Wars. Probably worst RTS I remember playing, mostly because the first mission refused to end. Maybe it gets better if it allows you to proceed.

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The L.E.D. Wars. Probably worst RTS I remember playing, mostly because the first mission refused to end. Maybe it gets better if it allows you to proceed.

how the gently caress

thanks

e: this is the madcatz of red alert clones

Testicular Torque Wrench fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 29, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've made some terrible purchasing decisions growing up, still do.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Evig Vandrar posted:

Looking for a strategy game, very likely a RTS, that had a hovercraft unit. The unit had a blue (or purple)/silver color scheme if I can remember correctly. Should be sometime from late 90s - early 2000s. Any clues?

The Terran drop ship from Starcraft?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay, so there's a mobile game on iOS that my friend's trying to remember.

- She initially describes it as a Crossy Road/Steppy Pants clone but that just might be describing the graphics because...
- She says it's touch sensitive, follows your finger on screen, so definitely doesn't control like Crossy Road
- Notable characters, toilet and fridge?
- Notable enemy, some sort of charging bull
- If you kill a bull with another bull you will get coins. They only charge if you're near it
- The objective is to collect coins/items specific to character to open the next level

Any ideas? The above info is mostly from this handy reference chart:

"I have sketched out what I remember. It’s design was 3D-ish and looked like CR, but it still had roundedges. So it looked more like Steppy pants."

Artelier fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I believe that game is Land Sliders.