Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah dude is an Underwater Demolition Team frogman which makes the whole claiming the SEAL thing weird because uh, that UDT poo poo seems like it would have been plenty rough. Anyway 50/50 on rapist, yes.

The UDT guys all got made SEALS retroactively right?

The combat diving mission types all seem so much more insane than stuff like the bin laden raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve heard precious little about navy combat diving, but the idea of stuffing yourself, a rebreather, and all your gear into a torpedo tube so you can sneak out of a sub at a hilarious depth throws up every red flag I knew of, and a few I didn’t know I even had :stare:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

it worked for snake plisskin

and solid snake

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The first guy to try a torpedo tube launch came out bleeding from the ears. Source- First SEAL by Roy Boehm (sp).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it worked for snake plisskin

and solid snake

and Brock Samson.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bulletsponge13 posted:

2020 delivering like door dash.

https://twitter.com/GovJVentura/status/1254783039642595330?s=20

gently caress yeah, let's burn it down. Back to back WWE champs for Pres!

He was a OK governor, I'm sure he'd be fine as president.

Nothing historically significant, but he wouldn't tell people to inject bleach.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

BigDave posted:

He was a OK governor, I'm sure he'd be fine as president.

Nothing historically significant, but he wouldn't tell people to inject bleach.

Trump has set a new bar by essentially walking into the old one and making it fall down

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

Trump has set a new bar by essentially walking into the old one and making it fall down

Ventura would be above and beyond our expectations for president. Not only does he eat a healthy diet and speak coherently, he probably hasn't raped anyone!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BigDave posted:

Ventura would be above and beyond our expectations for president. Not only does he eat a healthy diet and speak coherently, he probably hasn't raped anyone!

He's also a climate change denier and a Putin apologist.

Hard pass.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
stop electing celebrities, jesus christ

i get that he's been governor for years, but electing celebrities is how you got trump and reagan. think you fucks would've learned by now.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

My Spirit Otter posted:

i get that he's been governor for years, but electing celebrities is how you got trump and reagan. think you fucks would've learned by now.

Ehh, Ventura was a one-term wonder. He wasn't a *great* governor, just average, but he got the ball rolling on the light rail project, which worked out pretty good in the long term for the Twin Cities.

Like Ugly Ralph said he's doesn't believe in climate change, loves Putin, and also subscribes to a lot of conspiracy theories. I'm not sure if he's a follower of QAnon but it wouldn't surprise me.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

With the way 2020 is, I think you would’ve learned by now that we will never learn.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigDave posted:

Ehh, Ventura was a one-term wonder. He wasn't a *great* governor, just average, but he got the ball rolling on the light rail project, which worked out pretty good in the long term for the Twin Cities.

Like Ugly Ralph said he's doesn't believe in climate change, loves Putin, and also subscribes to a lot of conspiracy theories. I'm not sure if he's a follower of QAnon but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sounds like we can do a hell of a lot better than this. Alas,

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Some actual content, Rachel Bitecofer has released her forecast for the Senate and the House races.

https://twitter.com/RachelBitecofer/status/1255101848836616193

TLDR: Nothing is certain by any stretch, but it is not looking good for the GOP right now. Wisconsin's primary is indicative that it is likely going to be a bloodbath this fall with the house. Senate is tougher but Dems getting a majority is well within reach.

BigDave posted:

Ugly Ralph

:saddowns: Rude.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

He's also a climate change denier and a Putin apologist.

Hard pass.

He’s actually done a full 180 on climate change since he made that conspiracy video in 2008 or whenever.

quote:

Ventura also clarified his views on climate change, clearly one of the tentpole issues for the Green Party. "I haven’t filed to run, but I’ve covered climate change many times on The World According to Jesse. Climate change is real. It isn’t a belief...it’s science. It’s a major reason why I vote GREEN party."
https://wccoradio.radio.com/articles/former-governor-jesse-ventura-mulling-presidential-run

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

BigDave posted:

In these united states, it is considered a career making project and a major achievement for one of our major cities to have a tram that is characterized as "pretty good"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

hobbesmaster posted:

He’s actually done a full 180 on climate change since he made that conspiracy video in 2008 or whenever.

https://wccoradio.radio.com/articles/former-governor-jesse-ventura-mulling-presidential-run

Good for him.

Still,

quote:

Putin apologist

My Spirit Otter posted:

Hard pass.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

In these united states, it is considered a career making project and a major achievement for one of our major cities to have a tram that is characterized as "pretty good"

Two cities. :colbert:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I generally wouldn't vote for him because of his conspiracy theory beliefs. Dude's nuts.

But it is 2020, and he is less morally objectionable than the other two.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

US Berder Patrol posted:

I mean, it does it's job and does it well. They're working on expanding the rail out to to the west suburbs, and the only real problem we have is people smoking in the cars for some reason.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jesse Ventura would beat Donald Trump in a head to head election

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Biden can be replaced as the democratic nominee live at the first debate by mr money in the bank.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

BigDave posted:

I mean, it does it's job and does it well. They're working on expanding the rail out to to the west suburbs, and the only real problem we have is people smoking in the cars for some reason.

having functional public transit should be the bare minimum, not a landmark achievement

But yeah good on y'all, doing better at that than most of the shithole cities in this idiot chud country

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mega-City

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Let's just skip to a cage match.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just hasn't been a great millennium so far fellas

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just hasn't been a great millennium so far fellas

Y2K actually killed humanity and we're now in a simulation

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I don't want Jesse Ventura to hold elected office, but I do want to watch a debate between Biden, Trump, and Ventura.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
17-year-old me, watching the ball drop in my grandma's trailer on 12/31/99: hell yeah the 2000s gonna be great

38-year-old me, on my third vodka of the morning, watching the nytimes rebroadcast the president of the united states saying that injecting people with disinfectant may be Actually Good, this following, in order, 9/11, twenty years of war, the Great Recession, and the most civil unrest since about 1850: lol this fuckin owns

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eason the Fifth posted:

17-year-old me, watching the ball drop in my grandma's trailer on 12/31/99: hell yeah the 2000s gonna be great

38-year-old me, on my third vodka of the morning, watching the nytimes rebroadcast the president of the united states saying that injecting people with disinfectant may be Actually Good, this following, in order, 9/11, twenty years of war, the Great Recession, and the most civil unrest since about 1850: lol this fuckin owns

Technically a screwdriver is a complete breakfast!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Eason the Fifth posted:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793?s=20

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That tweet is insanely good

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Thunderbirds/Blue Angels dual tribute flyby is a Trump creation, isn't it?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It rules so hard.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CBJSprague24 posted:

Donald Trump has a small penis.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CBJSprague24 posted:

Gonna drop a small tactical nuke too for the mushroom cloud.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

The medical term is 'micropenis', its caused by a condition called Klinefelter syndrome, which is the result of a extra X chromosome.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woofer posted:

It's hard to tell with all the fat around it.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Gonna drop a small tactical nuke too for the mushroom cloud.

Another small mushroom for our wet boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The UDT guys all got made SEALS retroactively right?

The combat diving mission types all seem so much more insane than stuff like the bin laden raid.

The UDT Teams existed as an independent command until ~1983 and focused on swimming and diving missions with a smattering of brown water/littoral zone reconnaissance and demolition operations dating back to WW2. The history of the UDT's can be traced further back to the Amphibious Scouts and Raiders (temporary joint command between Army and Navy) as well as the NCDU's who were responsible for preparing the Normandy beaches as well as the creation of the infamous "Hellweek" under LCDR Kauffman who is widely considered as the father of all frogmen. The event precipitating the UDT's creation was the Battle of Tarawa where several hundred marines died from drowning or enemy gunfire while trapped on a reef and so great emphasis was placed on hydrographic reconnaissance in their original mission set. The original teams often dived with no weapons, earning them the nickname "Naked Warriors" or "Naked Frogmen".

During the late 50's the Navy noticed that the UDT mission scope had creeped to include unconventional warfare, near-shore reconnaissance & demolition as well as a smattering of direct action. The Navy SEALs were officially established in January 1962 by than President John F. Kennedy. Their training regime focused on a more limited underwater mission set but accommodated a whole host of both conventional and unconventional land warfare capabilities the UDTs lacked. The SEALs and UDTs operated closely together through the early 80's often with the UDT members in direct support of a SEAL mission. For example, a big navy submarine would be tasked with delivering a UDT team (4-6 guys) and a SEAL element (2-12 guys) to an off-shore location, often several miles from the beach. The teams would be locked out of the airlock in stages and assemble onto a SDV (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Delivery_Vehicle) which were piloted by a UDT element whom were responsible for underwater navigation and eventual insertion of the SEAL element who would than go one to conduct whatever mission assigned. The UDT team may engage in shore security (i'm using this term generously) or simply wait at an offshore extraction point if the SDV was to be utilized again.

The Frogman is an excellent book about the pacific WW2 era and a large reason alot of guys back than became UDT/SEAL members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frogmen
https://www.amazon.com/Frogmen-Robb-White/dp/0385038283